Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

BR just loves.....LOVES Colts last draft

HOF19

Bleacher Report gave Colts A+ for the draft . In the comment section of the article fans agreeing (and defending ) the grade ….….Also this >>>>> Nick Wagoner

@nwagoner

Colts had the most rookie snaps (in NFL ) with 4,754 >>>>>>>>>>> Article link >>>>>> https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2813362-grading-every-nfl-teams-2018-draft-haul?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=nfl#slide13

We had 22% of our snaps taken by rookies, by far the highest percentage for any team in the playoffs.

Ballard in September:

We are going to be awfully young, especially at linebacker. We are going to be extremely young at inside backer. I like their talent. They need to play. They need to get to live game action and that’s how they are going to get better.

StampedeBlue, two days later:

In this inaugural expose of NFL conspiratorial glory we’re going to take a look at Indianapolis Colts general manager Chris Ballard and his plan to destroy the 2018 Colts defense.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The hit rate on our 2018 draft is insane. I'm not sure what the staus of Fountain is but when you consider the only other not contributing is an injured Deon Caine, who was playing well and looks to have a bright future, is just crazy.  The 2017 draft wasn't too shabby either with Malik Hooker, Quincy Wilson, Marlon Mack, Nate Hairston, and Anthony Walker. I'm not sure what percentage of a draft is expected to play a significant role but I would assume 5 out of 8 is better than average. For those that are wondering Terell Basham, Zach Banner, and  Grover Stewart were the 3 that didn't pan out.

15 minutes ago, SC-Coltsfan said:

The hit rate on our 2018 draft is insane. I'm not sure what the staus of Fountain is but when you consider the only other not contributing is an injured Deon Caine, who was playing well and looks to have a bright future, is just crazy.  The 2017 draft wasn't too shabby either with Malik Hooker, Quincy Wilson, Marlon Mack, Nate Hairston, and Anthony Walker. I'm not sure what percentage of a draft is expected to play a significant role but I would assume 5 out of 8 is better than average. For those that are wondering Terell Basham, Zach Banner, and  Grover Stewart were the 3 that didn't pan out.

Grover Stewart is a solid rotational DT for the Colts....  He plays behind vet Al Woods, and is Wood's primary backup....He also started 1 game. he may start next year, or at least play a lot more snaps, if Woods isn't brought back...... that's not a 4th round pick "not panning out"

• Like 3

1 hour ago, HOF19 said:

I know some people with some NY Jets thoughts >>>>>  For Jets to win that trade Sam Darnold may have to go to a lot of pro bowls .

I’ve said before that Sam Darnold may well end up being a very good NFL quarterback.  But, even if he does, I still think they’re on the short end of that trade.

All we can do is speculate, of course.  But it’s entirely possible that Darnold would’ve been available at 6 anyway.  Moreover, the trade happened before the Browns revealed their intention to take Mayfield with the first pick.

And, IMO, the jury’s still out on all the rookie QBs other than Mayfield.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

Grover Stewart is a solid rotational DT for the Colts....  He plays behind vet Al Woods, and is Wood's primary backup....He also started 1 game. he may start next year, or at least play a lot more snaps, if Woods isn't brought back...... that's not a 4th round pick "not panning out"

I obviously missed him when I was going over the depth chart.  I thought he was no longer  on the team . 

And Ballard seems like the no-nonsense type that won't let any of these accolades go to his head (as if he pays any attention)... unlike his predecessor.

And by that I mean I believe the worst thing that happened to Grigson was getting exec of the year his 'rookie' season. I think it went to his head and felt he could do no wrong after that.

3 hours ago, SC-Coltsfan said:

Hey, Stewart is still playing and contributing.   

3 hours ago, Shafty138 said:

Even better. Grover Stewart WAS Al Woods' backup at the beginning of the season,  but by cca . mid-season, he took over the majority of early down snaps from Woods. He is already the starting early down inside lineman / run stuffer / for the Colts, and not because Woods is on IR now. He took over the job before Woods got injured.

So yeah, he definitely doesn't look like he is not panning out. He is not a flashy piece in there in the middle, but an important element of the Colt's much improved run defense.

• Like 1

In May, they were graded as a B- on NFL.com by Nick Shook:

After years of trotting Andrew Luck out behind a patchwork line, GM Chris Ballard finally had enough and selected not one, but two guards in the first two rounds. He gets an A for taking Nelson, and an A for doubling down on the position in Round 2 where he selected first-team All-American Smith. Suddenly, when combined with center Ryan Kelly, Indianapolis' line doesn't look all that bad. Adding Lewis and Turay is an attempt to improve on the league's 31st-highest sack total (25) in 2017, though I thought Lewis was selected one round too early. I found it surprising in a draft that was deep at running back, Ballard opted to wait until the fourth round to address the position. Marlon Mack, a fourth-rounder last year and the only returning Colts rusher to have more than 25 carries in 2018, will be joined by newcomers Hines and Wilkins, suggesting that Ballard wants to address the position with quantity over perceived quality. That's no knock on Hines, who I've enjoyed watching; it just seems to be a peculiar strategy and my reason for bringing them down from an A-.

21 hours ago, Superman said:

We had 22% of our snaps taken by rookies, by far the highest percentage for any team in the playoffs.

Ballard in September:

StampedeBlue, two days later:

And for reasons like this, you would think CB wins Exec of the year over a guy who went and got the best defensive player available in a trade and why Reich should win COY. Heck, if Reich doesn’t garner a win, something is wrong with the voting system. 

Reich was the last man standing from the picks of coaches left to choose from after dingdong backed out last minute. He had to scramble to get assistants, had to accept 3 guys chosen for another coach, had the QB who hadn’t played in 1 1/2 years, oline that was still thought of as broken and had given up the most sacks last season and now we have a surgically repaired shoulder to try and hold up behind them. The defense was not thought of very highly at all by fans or media. Team didn’t really spend much of that cap to get big names to help. We collected guys off the street in the middle of the season who contributed to wins for this team (Inman and Mitchell specifically). Despite all of these things, CB and Reich has these guys in the playoffs and 1 game short of having a division title. I just think based on the fact that Reich got such a late start to the process and had what most thought limited tools in the box, we are in the show. That in itself is amazing. 

• Like 1