Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why Was Jim Caldwell Fired?

tucky89

4 hours ago, esmort said:

While I don't think it is the norm; I don't know if it is as rare as you are making it sound.

The obvious ones that come to mind are the Packers just did it with McCarthy, Detroit did it to Caldwell a second time, Tampa Bay did with Dungy before Colts hired him, and Chicago fired Lovie Smith.

I am sure there are others that didn't come immediately to mind; and if you include records with just the team that fired them (not overall career) and/or after a winning season I am sure the list is even bigger.

Like I said, out of 32 NFL teams there are few who fire a head coach with a winning record.

The Colts and the Lions fired Caldwell too soon. The thing around here is Caldwell was considered to silent. Had he been a loud mouth the opinion of him would have been different.

10 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Can I get links on where they said they were done coaching?

10 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

I am not going back and find what I have read. Sorry, you must have missed the comments made by both of them.

Pagano: "I mean, I'm young. I'm 57 years old. So, I figure I've got a couple years left in me. I've got some unfinished business," Pagano said Wednesday on Good Morning Football. "So, I'd love to have another opportunity, I don't care what it is. I just love being around the guys, being on the grass and competing."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000935976/article/chuck-pagano-id-love-to-have-another-opportunity

Caldwell: But a day after Caldwell was fired by the Lions, Fritz Pollard Alliance chairman John Wooten said Caldwell not only wants to be a head coach in the NFL again, he wants to do it in 2018.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2018/01/02/jim-caldwell-detroit-lions-nfl/998033001/

Both articles from this calendar year

8 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Colts are one of the very few teams in NFL history that fire coaches with winning records.

They're also one of the few teams in NFL history that have had transcendent talent to make the coaches look better.  Jim Caldwell having a winning record and even going 14-2 in 2009 is more thanks to Peyton Manning than Caldwell's own coaching.  His coaching record without Peyton Manning is 38-42, which is nothing special.  As for Pagano, he was also made to look better than he really was by Andrew Luck.  If I did the math correctly, Pagano's record without Andrew Luck is 10-16.  To simply look at their records and make a final decision based on that is overly simplistic.  Let's not try to push a false narrative here.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Dingus McGirt said:

I was at that game.   Caldwell should have been fired in the locker room.

The game was in January 2011.  Colts had a lead with 57 seconds remaining.  The Jets were driving, but out of time outs.  Caldwell foolishly called one, which allowed the Jets time to get composed/collected.  

• Like 2

15 hours ago, The Fish said:

Where's that "the many emotions of Jim Caldwell" meme..

jimcaldwell_original.jpg?1360608493

He was very even keeled, not always a bad attribute in the NFL. Jon Gruden was the opposite. It has pluses and minuses too.

12 hours ago, jameszeigler834 said:

All of that was because of Manning I along with many others saw he was trash the second manning couldn't play.

The step down from an elite QB to backup makes most coaches look bad. Except when Trent Green got hurt and Vermeil inserted Kurt Warner.  Ok, and when Bledsoe got hurt and in went Brady...

Ok, it says more to me about the quality of your backup QB than coaching. (Painter? Who ever won with him in the NFL?\)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

I am not going back and find what I have read. Sorry, you must have missed the comments made by both of them.

I don't know about Caldwell, and I have no links, but I'm pretty sure I remember Pagano saying that he "was not looking for another HC position".  I don't know if that means he was/is done, but former HCs usually don't say that in public if they want/expect to be considered for a HC opening, IMO.

15 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

So why wasn't he trash with the Ravens and the Lions?  Just because you have a low opinion of him does not mean anything to those who don't feel that way.

Ravens he was OC and while he wasn't all that bad with the lions the team never took that next step to contender status either cause he isn't a very good head coach.

• Like 1

It seems the fan base is so quick to call coaches bad, trash, etc. because they cant win, let alone get to, a Super Bowl.

Two recent ones come to mind.  Marvin Lewis, now Jim Caldwell.

The Lions were 60 -148 from 2001 - 2013 before Jim Caldwell, (under Marty Mornhinweg, Steve Mariucci, Rod Marinelli, and Jim Schwartz) with only 1 playoff appearance over 13 years, and 36 - 28 after Jim Caldwell with 2 playoff appearances in just 4 years.

The Bengals from 1992-2002 (under Dave Shula, Bruce Coslet, and Dick LeBeau) were 52 - 124. with no post season play, period. Under Lewis ever since, they are 125 - 112 with 3 ties and 7 playoff appearances (yes, they lost all 7).

Yes, all teams want to win the big one, but nobody wants to suffer the misery of a team like those Lions before Caldwell and the Bengals (after Sam Wyche) before Lewis.  Both of those teams were completely in Cleveland Browns misery territory until those guys got hired. Fact.

3 hours ago, #12. said:

The Bengals - the team that hired Tiger Johnson over Bill Walsh who had been their OC for 8 years. 

Ever heard of Tiger Johnson?  Probably not.

Yes, he passed away some years ago in the city in which I live.

I do not know why Paul Brown didn't want Bill Walsh to take over as HC when he relinquished the position.  Walsh had to coach at Stanford before getting the 49ers gig too.

On 12/7/2018 at 5:38 PM, Nesjan3 said:

After 10 years of winning i don't think anybody was ready to accept that we were going to be a bad team without Manning, including Irsay and Polian. When Caldwell failed to produce results after the SB run he was quickly shown the door, and in hindsight probably prematurely.

Pagano and Grigson both overstayed IMO, but i understand Irsay trying to give them an opportunity.

I think Caldwell was somebody Polian liked but Irsay did not and when he planned to fire Polian he was going to fire Caldwell as well. 

2 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Yes, he passed away some years ago in the city in which I live.

I do not know why Paul Brown didn't want Bill Walsh to take over as HC when he relinquished the position.  Walsh had to coach at Stanford before getting the 49ers gig too.

Yeah, Walsh resigned in protest in Cincy, then beat the Bengals in the '81 Super Bowl(and '88).

The Indiana Jones thing - choose wisely?  The Bengals rarely do.

Question probably should have been why was he hired.  

Never was a big fan of the Jim Caldwell experiment.  Not saying slobber or snot has to be flailing from your face to be a good football coach, but his demeanor seems off canter compared to a lot of the more successful coach's in the NFL.  So quiet and meek personality ... one that just doesn't feel right from my point of view.  

Who knows, maybe the players respected that quality in him.  I don't remember any of the players speaking out against him or his ways or anything like that.  But I dont know that we would ever really hear that.

So regardless of his mannerisms or style of coaching, what exactly was the reasoning behind promoting him to HC?  Tony's recommendation?  I mean other than his time with the Colts as associate head coach or whatever his title was, exactly what was so intriguing about his resume?  I was just really surprised that they transitioned from Tony right into Jim.  Maybe they thought it would be seamless, train is still on the tracks and no changes needed type thing, Idk.

Whatever, but it didn't work and I feel like his lack of aggressiveness was one of the reasons they lost the SB to the Saints.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, superrep1967 said:

I think Caldwell was somebody Polian liked but Irsay did not and when he planned to fire Polian he was going to fire Caldwell as well. 

Not true. See my post on page one. The original plan was that Caldwell would be HC in 2012.  

Let's be honest....he and Polian were fired because ownership wanted to move on from Peyton Manning...and they knew that neither the GM or Coach would support that. The only way to accomplish it was a clean sweep. Manning was going for Luck...so everyone else had to go too. Right or wrong...it is as simple as that. The not having his replacement there and not able to turn the season around is all noise. The decision was to bring in Luck....and anyone with loyalty to Peyton would be removed. Unless I get some other really good info that is my belief.

On 12/7/2018 at 5:38 PM, Nesjan3 said:

After 10 years of winning i don't think anybody was ready to accept that we were going to be a bad team without Manning, including Irsay and Polian. When Caldwell failed to produce results after the SB run he was quickly shown the door, and in hindsight probably prematurely.

Pagano and Grigson both overstayed IMO, but i understand Irsay trying to give them an opportunity.

But not Jim C.?

On 12/8/2018 at 3:01 AM, esmort said:

While I don't think it is the norm; I don't know if it is as rare as you are making it sound.

The obvious ones that come to mind are the Packers just did it with McCarthy, Detroit did it to Caldwell a second time, Tampa Bay did with Dungy before Colts hired him, and Chicago fired Lovie Smith.

I am sure there are others that didn't come immediately to mind; and if you include records with just the team that fired them (not overall career) and/or after a winning season I am sure the list is even bigger.

SF did it with Jim Harbaugh.

On Caldwell, I like Caldwell as a HC.  The timeout in the Jets game was a bad call.  The timeout in the Jags game was a good call.  The jets game it gave time for the Jets to regroup and realize that the WR was open everytime down the right sideline, which they completed and then kicked the FG.  After the TO in the Jags game the Colts dropped an INT and held them to a long 4th down which the Jags converted.  Also, msot people don't mention it but just a couple of weeks before the Jets playoff game, against the Titans, the Colts called a TO in a very similar situation, Tenn funbled the snap Colts got the ball and won the game.

As far as the comment about "no respectable DC..." that's nonsense.  The Colts had Manusky and Monachino... they couldn't get a respectable DC without Caldwell either.

What I don't think Caldwell was good at was developing a training camp.  A great HC should develop a training camp that and instill drills that will make the strengths stronger and focus on the worst 3 or 4 weaknesses to strengthen them.  I think Caldwell was good at identifying strengths and making them stronger but he was not good at identifying weaknesses and making them stronger.

3 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

SF did it with Jim Harbaugh.

On Caldwell, I like Caldwell as a HC.  The timeout in the Jets game was a bad call.  The timeout in the Jags game was a good call.  The jets game it gave time for the Jets to regroup and realize that the WR was open everytime down the right sideline, which they completed and then kicked the FG.  After the TO in the Jags game the Colts dropped an INT and held them to a long 4th down which the Jags converted.  Also, msot people don't mention it but just a couple of weeks before the Jets playoff game, against the Titans, the Colts called a TO in a very similar situation, Tenn funbled the snap Colts got the ball and won the game.

As far as the comment about "no respectable DC..." that's nonsense.  The Colts had Manusky and Monachino... they couldn't get a respectable DC without Caldwell either.

What I don't think Caldwell was good at was developing a training camp.  A great HC should develop a training camp that and instill drills that will make the strengths stronger and focus on the worst 3 or 4 weaknesses to strengthen them.  I think Caldwell was good at identifying strengths and making them stronger but he was not good at identifying weaknesses and making them stronger.

Then how do you account for Caldwell joining Grigson to interview Spagnuolo and then Grigson firing Caldwell the next day after Spags turned them down?

Also just a note, Manusky was their 2nd choice.  They (Grigson/Pagano) originally offered the DC position to Keith Butler.

23 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Let's be honest....he and Polian were fired because ownership wanted to move on from Peyton Manning...and they knew that neither the GM or Coach would support that. The only way to accomplish it was a clean sweep. Manning was going for Luck...so everyone else had to go too. Right or wrong...it is as simple as that. The not having his replacement there and not able to turn the season around is all noise. The decision was to bring in Luck....and anyone with loyalty to Peyton would be removed. Unless I get some other really good info that is my belief.

the same question to you that I posed to Coffeedrinker...how does your theory account for Caldwell being present when Grigson interviewed Steve Spagnuolo for the vacant DC position?

5 minutes ago, J@son said:

Then how do you account for Caldwell joining Grigson to interview Spagnuolo and then Grigson firing Caldwell the next day after Spags turned them down?

Also just a note, Manusky was their 2nd choice.  They (Grigson/Pagano) originally offered the DC position to Keith Butler.

By explain you mean offer some speculation, like they fired Caldwell because no respectable DC would work for him?  Easy.. Caldwell was an offensive minded HC and needed a strong, experienced DC, after Spags took the job in NO, there were none available(strong and experienced), so the Colts decided to go a different direction and get a defensive minded HC figuring he could work with a less than stellar DC and hired an experienced OC in Pep.

Also, how do we know Spags turned it down because of Caldwell.  Maybe he turned it down because of Grigson but the Colts couldn't fire they 1 week GM.

On ‎12‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 8:17 PM, ColtsBlueFL said:

The Lions were 60 -148 from 2001 - 2013 before Jim Caldwell, (under Marty Mornhinweg, Steve Mariucci, Rod Marinelli, and Jim Schwartz) with only 1 playoff appearance over 13 years, and 36 - 28 after Jim Caldwell with 2 playoff appearances in just 4 years.

He also had quite a bit more talented teams. Despite being an offensive coach, he's had only twice above average pts per game ranking league-wide in 7 years without Peyton Manning. Some memorable moments like the Hail Mary defense against GB, the final minute of the Falcons game in '14 don't look exactly good on his resume. Nor does allowing TDs last year with first 10 men on the field against the Vikings and then later in the season with 9 men on the field against the Ravens.

Both of those teams were completely in Cleveland Browns misery territory until those guys got hired. Fact.

Lions had 24 wins and PO appearance in 3 years before Caldwell was hired and 30 wins in 4 prior years along with PO appearance. Current Browns never had the latter and managed the former once, over 15 years ago.

9 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

By explain you mean offer some speculation, like they fired Caldwell because no respectable DC would work for him?  Easy.. Caldwell was an offensive minded HC and needed a strong, experienced DC, after Spags took the job in NO, there were none available(strong and experienced), so the Colts decided to go a different direction and get a defensive minded HC figuring he could work with a less than stellar DC and hired an experienced OC in Pep.

Also, how do we know Spags turned it down because of Caldwell.  Maybe he turned it down because of Grigson but the Colts couldn't fire they 1 week GM.

I don't, and if you reread my previous posts you'll see that I never said he did.  And yes I did mean to offer some speculation, which is what I did with my posts about Spagnuolo etc.  I don't consider your speculation to be any more or less nonsense than the speculation I presented (which was based on many reports that hit the news the day after Spags interviewed). 

so the Colts decided to go a different direction and get a defensive minded HC figuring he could work with a less than stellar DC and hired an experienced OC in Pep.

They hired a defensive minded coach and an experienced OC, yes, but it was Arians, not Pep. 

16 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

The timeout in the Jags game was a good call.  After the TO in the Jags game the Colts dropped an INT and held them to a long 4th down which the Jags converted. 

How? If we had gotten the ball back, we'd have had no timeouts and would have needed to go around 40 yards in 20 seconds. There was no 4th and long either. They ran for 8 Yards on first down. Caldwell called a timeout. Then came the Hayden drop INT, Jags converted the 3rd and short and another longer one after that and kicked the FG to win the game.

11 minutes ago, J@son said:

I don't, and if you reread my previous posts you'll see that I never said he did.  And yes I did mean to offer some speculation, which is what I did with my posts about Spagnuolo etc.  I don't consider your speculation to be any more or less nonsense than the speculation I presented (which was based on many reports that hit the news the day after Spags interviewed). 

They hired a defensive minded coach and an experienced OC, yes, but it was Arians, not Pep. 

I didn't mean to imply you did say that... just a general "how do we(Colts fans)...

yes Arians, reding some things on Mochigan football and Pep so he was on my mind.

28 minutes ago, J@son said:

the same question to you that I posed to Coffeedrinker...how does your theory account for Caldwell being present when Grigson interviewed Steve Spagnuolo for the vacant DC position?

I don't think the Colts were ever seriously considering keeping Caldwell. More of a formality more than anything. I'm sure using his knowledge of the team and personnel was helpful in the interview process. I mean I don't think Jim was going to quit his job for Peyton but I think everyone knew it was going to be a clean sweep to start fresh. If Peyton came back there would have been no reason to force out Polian and fire Jim. Grigson was going to do things his way..and I don't think Irsay was clammering to keep any of the old guard around....remember he didn't want star wars numbers and no titles....instead he got neither.

On 12/7/2018 at 5:48 PM, John Hammonds said:

I'll answer the OP question.  I think Caldwell was fired, not because of poor coaching or bad results, but because the Colts had a new GM, and new GM's like to hire their own coaches and build their own stuff.

I tend to think it's this.

I think that Irsay decided it was time to blow it all up and start over.  In doing that he had to totally clean house.  New GM, New coaching staff, new players.  

IMO Caldwell is a good HC that sort of got screwed a couple times.  In Indy he lost his job because Irsay wanted to start over entirely.

In Detroit he was the first HC to walk out of Detroit with a winning record in a long time.  It was dumb of them to fire him.  I think many Detroit fans would love to have him back. 

6 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I don't think the Colts were ever seriously considering keeping Caldwell. More of a formality more than anything. I'm sure using his knowledge of the team and personnel was helpful in the interview process. I mean I don't think Jim was going to quit his job for Peyton but I think everyone knew it was going to be a clean sweep to start fresh. If Peyton came back there would have been no reason to force out Polian and fire Jim. Grigson was going to do things his way..and I don't think Irsay was clammering to keep any of the old guard around....remember he didn't want star wars numbers and no titles....instead he got neither.

I don't believe that for a second because it would be a total **** move if they did that to Caldwell.  "Hey Jim, we're going to fire you but how would you like to come with us while we interview Steve to be some other Head Coach's DC that we're going to hire after we fire you.  I'm sure you don't have anything better to do, like, look for a new job and all."

Caldwell wouldn't have been at that interview for any reason OTHER than he was interviewing to hire a DC that was going to work for him.  BTW if you'll recall, it wasn't a full "clean sweep".  Clyde Christiansen was kept from the previous regime.

3 minutes ago, J@son said:

I don't believe that for a second because it would be a total **** move if they did that to Caldwell.  "Hey Jim, we're going to fire you but how would you like to come with us while we interview Steve to be some other Head Coach's DC that we're going to hire after we fire you.  I'm sure you don't have anything better to do, like, look for a new job and all."

Caldwell wouldn't have been at that interview for any reason OTHER than he was interviewing to hire a DC that was going to work for him.  BTW if you'll recall, it wasn't a full "clean sweep".  Clyde Christiansen was kept from the previous regime.

The fact that Irsay didn't fire Caldwell on Black Monday -- along with the Polians -- is an indication that the family wanted to keep Caldwell, or at least try to keep him. The fact that they even considered a new configuration with Caldwell still at the helm is another strong indication. If they had really decided to do a clean sweep of anyone with ties to Manning, none of this happens.  

I don't see it the way others do, that's for sure. Caldwell was apparently a very nice man, easy to get along with, I've still never heard anyone who worked with/for him or who was coached by him say anything but positive things about him. But the Colts clearly wanted to upgrade the HC position, and there was plenty of evidence throughout Caldwell's tenure that he wasn't good enough. It's not like he was treated unfairly, in any way. I'd say he got extra consideration by the Irsays and Grigson.

I'm glad he got some redemption in Baltimore, and another HC shot in Detroit. But I thought he should have been fired after getting blown out 62-7 by the Saints. 

In all, I don't get this thread, almost eight years later. Both sides went their own ways, with mixed results for everyone. It's not like the Colts missed Caldwell, and I don't think Caldwell missed the Colts, either. 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Finball said:

How? If we had gotten the ball back, we'd have had no timeouts and would have needed to go around 40 yards in 20 seconds. There was no 4th and long either. They ran for 8 Yards on first down. Caldwell called a timeout. Then came the Hayden drop INT, Jags converted the 3rd and short and another longer one after that and kicked the FG to win the game.

it was the long pass down the sideline that I was thinking of but yes it was on 1st down not 4th.  And the Colts used their 1st timeout when Jax had the ball on their 23, so if they had got the interception or had stopped Jax, they would have had 2 TOs left.  So, yeah with a P. Manning run offense, I'd take that situation 10 times out 10. 

Even with all of that, it still took a 59 yarder from Scobee to win the game (a low percentage kick Scobee was 62% from beyond 50 for his career)  For all the analytics people out there, the TO gave the Colts the best chance to win the game in regulation.

17 minutes ago, Superman said:

The fact that Irsay didn't fire Caldwell on Black Monday -- along with the Polians -- is an indication that the family wanted to keep Caldwell, or at least try to keep him. The fact that they even considered a new configuration with Caldwell still at the helm is another strong indication. If they had really decided to do a clean sweep of anyone with ties to Manning, none of this happens.  

I don't see it the way others do, that's for sure. Caldwell was apparently a very nice man, easy to get along with, I've still never heard anyone who worked with/for him or who was coached by him say anything but positive things about him. But the Colts clearly wanted to upgrade the HC position, and there was plenty of evidence throughout Caldwell's tenure that he wasn't good enough. It's not like he was treated unfairly, in any way. I'd say he got extra consideration by the Irsays and Grigson.

I'm glad he got some redemption in Baltimore, and another HC shot in Detroit. But I thought he should have been fired after getting blown out 62-7 by the Saints. 

In all, I don't get this thread, almost eight years later. Both sides went their own ways, with mixed results for everyone. It's not like the Colts missed Caldwell, and I don't think Caldwell missed the Colts, either. 

At first I thought this was why was Caldwell fired from the Lions thread....as they are worse without him....but that's another story lol. I still think Irsay wanted to wash his hands and make a clean break from Peyton. The easiest solution was to basically clean house except the QB coach. Now why Jim was part of some other interview processes etc I think they were considering keeping him...but I think in the end Irsay wanted to break all ties to the old Manning regime where he had so much control and close ties and that way it would make the transition to Luck easier to accept for the public and for the new GM coming in. The way I look at it....they wanted to move on to Luck. If we kept Polian with his loyalties to Peyton...what would that look like. Would he want to keep both qbs, would he want to sell the pick, I think the first decision was to move Peyton...everything else after that was a result of that decision. Just my opinion...pure speculation. 

46 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

it was the long pass down the sideline that I was thinking of but yes it was on 1st down not 4th.  And the Colts used their 1st timeout when Jax had the ball on their 23, so if they had got the interception or had stopped Jax, they would have had 2 TOs left.  So, yeah with a P. Manning run offense, I'd take that situation 10 times out 10. 

Even with all of that, it still took a 59 yarder from Scobee to win the game (a low percentage kick Scobee was 62% from beyond 50 for his career)  For all the analytics people out there, the TO gave the Colts the best chance to win the game in regulation.

How about winning the game at all? And what's the math on those analytics? Jax had the ball on their 31 when the 1st timeout was called. If they had run it again twice, it would have used the TOs. Where the chances of INT or stop higher than the chances of getting two shots at converting two yards? There was also 50/50 shot that Peyton gets the ball to start the OT. Also if he really wanted to end the game in regulation, why not go for 2 after the Collie TD? 

4 minutes ago, Finball said:

How about winning the game at all? And what's the math on those analytics? Jax had the ball on their 31 when the 1st timeout was called. If they had run it again twice, it would have used the TOs. Where the chances of INT or stop higher than the chances of getting two shots at converting two yards? There was also 50/50 shot that Peyton gets the ball to start the OT.

About the same.