Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

24/7 sports 1st round mock draft. Very accurate

I was looking at some mock drafts this morning. This one looked like the best to me. Everyone is up to date, and it really shows there are around 15 top talents before the pool starts dropping off to the next level. This may actually be a decent representation of where some of the 1st rounders may go, should they hold their draft position through the combine and pro day later on. 

Enjoy!

https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/LongFormArticle/The-247Sports-NFL-Mock-Draft-10-125902927/#125902927_1

22 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

If we're at 15 I would prefer Harry over Gary.  WR is a big need. 

We definitely need a WR out of the draft. I'll be curious to see Harry at the combine. Some scouts think he might not run well. I like Kelvin Harmon out of NC State and Isabella the slot from UMass.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Boiler_Colt said:

We definitely need a WR out of the draft. I'll be curious to see Harry at the combine. Some scouts think he might not run well. I like Kelvin Harmon out of NC State and Isabella the slot from UMass.

I would love for the Colts to draft Isabella! Coming out of high school his Nike sparq 40 time was 4.39. I would wager that his current 40 time is around a 4.35. But he's not just fast he has quickness like Christian McCaffrey. He can beat people in the slot but he can also move outside and beat cornerbacks down the sideline with his straight-line speed.  He was robbed of the Biletnikoff trophy. Maybe he will use it as fuel in his NFL career. 

54 minutes ago, GoColts00 said:

I would love for the Colts to draft Isabella! Coming out of high school his Nike sparq 40 time was 4.39. I would wager that his current 40 time is around a 4.35. But he's not just fast he has quickness like Christian McCaffrey. He can beat people in the slot but he can also move outside and beat cornerbacks down the sideline with his straight-line speed.  He was robbed of the Biletnikoff trophy. Maybe he will use it as fuel in his NFL career. 

Agreed. But you just know he has Patriots written all over him.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Boiler_Colt said:

If we take a WR it should be early, and that might mean a 1st. I’m hearing that Harry, Metcalf, and Harmon are grading out as 1st round receivers.

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

If we take a WR it should be early, and that might mean a 1st. I’m hearing that Harry, Metcalf, and Harmon are grading out as 1st round receivers.

Remember the old saying from former Ravens coach Brian Billick....

”Need is a terrible judge of talent.”

Translation:   Just because the Colts need a talented WR doesn’t mean we’re going to find one in the first round.   

More and more NFL teams are moving away from first round draft picks.   Too many busts.

1.   They don’t learn how to run the full rout tree.

2.   They don’t know how to read NFL defenses.

3.   They don’t understand NFL play-calling language.

These are just some of the reasons most NFL 1st round WRs take a year or two (or longer) to figure out how to play on the NFL level.

• Like 1

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

Translation:   Just because the Colts need a talented WR doesn’t mean we’re going to find one in the first round.   

More and more NFL teams are moving away from first round draft picks.   Too many busts.

These are just some of the reasons most NFL 1st round WRs take a year or two (or longer) to figure out how to play on the NFL level.

Yeah, I think it can take some time.  But Reggie and Marvin were both 1st. rounders and they turned out pretty well.  If there is a receiver that grades out as a 1st. rounder I don't think Ballard would hesitate if the draft falls that way.  I think he will again be looking for a potential starter in a position of need.  

35 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Yeah, I think it can take some time.  But Reggie and Marvin were both 1st. rounders and they turned out pretty well.  If there is a receiver that grades out as a 1st. rounder I don't think Ballard would hesitate if the draft falls that way.  I think he will again be looking for a potential starter in a position of need.  

You just referenced two wide receivers who I believe were drafted in the 90s...

The trend I’m talking about is the last five years.     That’s all.

Two different worlds.

On ‎12‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 7:20 PM, richard pallo said:

If we're at 15 I would prefer Harry over Gary.  WR is a big need. 

I'm a big proponent of needing more defense, but I would have to agree.  I think Harry's ceiling is much higher than Gary's.  

For Ballard to pick a WR first round, I'd have to think he'd have undergone a lobotomy. I just don't believe the guy will do it, based upon his comments on how to build this team. He goes DT and DE, and perhaps an O-lineman, before dipping into the offensive pool of talent beginning with the 3rd round. He believes in building up the lines, and the Colts need talent on the D-line especially, as well as a talent waiting in the wings for when Castonzo  begins his inevitable fade. 

Don't get me wrong; WR is a need without question. I just see Ballard looking FA for that guy rather than drafting one and waiting several years for him to produce. Not to mention Cain will return from IR and Fountain is now getting his chance......lots of potential for the Colts with the players they already have. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Hoose said:

For Ballard to pick a WR first round, I'd have to think he'd have undergone a lobotomy. I just don't believe the guy will do it, based upon his comments on how to build this team. He goes DT and DE, and perhaps an O-lineman, before dipping into the offensive pool of talent beginning with the 3rd round. He believes in building up the lines, and the Colts need talent on the D-line especially, as well as a talent waiting in the wings for when Castonzo  begins his inevitable fade. 

Don't get me wrong; WR is a need without question. I just see Ballard looking FA for that guy rather than drafting one and waiting several years for him to produce. Not to mention Cain will return from IR and Fountain is now getting his chance......lots of potential for the Colts with the players they already have. 

You can actually make the same argument for DL in FA.  Even OL.  He did both last year and Autry and Slaussen were pretty good.  The FA WR pool is not that great either.  He will not put all his hope on Cain and Fountain.   They both have a lot to prove.  I don't really see any offensive playmakers in FA unless it's that RB from Pittsburgh.  You can not completely rule out a WR in the 1st. rd.  Especially if we draft 15 or later.  I'm sure all doors are open at this time of year. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I’m saying that if we want a true difference maker at WR, it’ll come early. The guys I mentioned are elite talents. It’s not about not drafting a WR in the 1st, but about not reaching. Laquan Treadwell was a reach. But if you look at DJ Moore and Calvin Ridley, they’re producing. 

23 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Should post this on the Fountain topic on Colts Football blogs. Some saying Fountain is a bust or he would be playing by now. This is a good explanation.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

I’m saying that if we want a true difference maker at WR, it’ll come early. The guys I mentioned are elite talents. It’s not about not drafting a WR in the 1st, but about not reaching. Laquan Treadwell was a reach. But if you look at DJ Moore and Calvin Ridley, they’re producing. 

In hindsight EVERYTHING is obvious..   the number of busts in the first round the last 4-5 tears is large.   It’s more than just Treadwell.   It’s not about reaching.   It’s about colleges not preparing these kids very well to play right away in the NFL.

The issues I wrote about are not about reaching.   They’re about training and coaching and experience these kids get before they become pros.

Thats why you’re now seeing about 3 WRs taken in the first per year and not 4-6 as we once did.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

You just referenced two wide receivers who I believe were drafted in the 90s...

The trend I’m talking about is the last five years.     That’s all.

Two different worlds.

There have been some good ones drafted in the last five years I believe: Cooks, Cooper, Moore, Ridley, Watkins come to mind.  I think it's all a function of how the teams rate the 1st rd. talent.  Every year it's different.  There was a RB drought for awhile and then more recently the talent is there and they are drafted early.  There are always 1st. rd. busts.  Doesn't matter the position.  If teams grade players 1st. rd. it's more than likely that's where they will be drafted IMO. 

7 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

There have been some good ones drafted in the last five years I believe: Cooks, Cooper, Moore, Ridley, Watkins come to mind.  I think it's all a function of how the teams rate the 1st rd. talent.  Every year it's different.  There was a RB drought for awhile and then more recently the talent is there and they are drafted early.  There are always 1st. rd. busts.  Doesn't matter the position.  If teams grade players 1st. rd. it's more than likely that's where they will be drafted IMO. 

For what it’s worth...

Im not expressing MY opinion.   I’m expressing the views of NFL execs.   I’ve written and posted links about it here extensively the last few years.  It takes some homework and I’ll be happy to do it again in the off-season.    I’ve stayed out if the very long thread about a strong case for a first round wide receiver,  I didn’t want to be the fly in the punch bowl.     But it’s an interesting topic once the season is over....

39 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

In hindsight EVERYTHING is obvious..   the number of busts in the first round the last 4-5 tears is large.   It’s more than just Treadwell.   It’s not about reaching.   It’s about colleges not preparing these kids very well to play right away in the NFL.

The issues I wrote about are not about reaching.   They’re about training and coaching and experience these kids get before they become pros.

Thats why you’re now seeing about 3 WRs taken in the first per year and not 4-6 as we once did.

Colleges not training up kids for the NFL level is not something that’s going to change. The mistake would be holding that against players that can be really special. I agree with you though. Lately the trend has been 1st round busts at the position. Kevin White, Treadwell, Parker, Benjamin, etc.... But the trend is not necessarily the rule. The trend is something that scouts should analyze and see where they went wrong or right. Was it lack of speed? Was it body type? Was it a lack of ability to learn pro techniques like you suggested? When you analyze that you can start to break the trend by learning from the mistakes of the past.

So I’m not completely against a 1st round receiver because of a trend. Training and coaching is something they can get at the next level as long as they have the requisite skills and traits. It’s on the scouts to find those prospects.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Colleges not training up kids for the NFL level is not something that’s going to change. The mistake would be holding that against players that can be really special. I agree with you though. Lately the trend has been 1st round busts at the position. Kevin White, Treadwell, Parker, Benjamin, etc.... But the trend is not necessarily the rule. The trend is something that scouts should analyze and see where they went wrong or right. Was it lack of speed? Was it body type? Was it a lack of ability to learn pro techniques like you suggested? When you analyze that you can start to break the trend by learning from the mistakes of the past.

So I’m not completely against a 1st round receiver because of a trend. Training and coaching is something they can get at the next level as long as they have the requisite skills and traits. It’s on the scouts to find those prospects.

You’re right...   not very first round we us s bust.   But the majority are.   And then you’re faced with the idea that a first round WR might not give you much on your investment for a year or two.   You might not get much bang for your buck for 2-3 seasons while the player learns on the job.

Is that what you want?  Do you want minimal impact from your first round pick?   Do you want to wait several years while the player tries to figure things out?    I don’t think most fans, or coaches or execs want to wait that long.

That’s why I think it’s safer to spend a 2-4 on a WR rather than a one.   More and more NFL teams seem to have adopted that view as well.

Just my observation of what the NFL is doing now.    More in January....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

You’re right...   not very first round we us s bust.   But the majority are.   And then you’re faced with the idea that a first round WR might not give you much on your investment for a year or two.   You might not get much bang for your buck for 2-3 seasons while the player learns on the job.

Is that what you want?  Do you want minimal impact from your first round pick?   Do you want to wait several years while the player tries to figure things out?    I don’t think most fans, or coaches or execs want to wait that long.

That’s why I think it’s safer to spend a 2-4 on a WR rather than a one.   More and more NFL teams seem to have adopted that view as well.

Just my observation of what the NFL is doing now.    More in January....

Again, it really depends. The 1st round receivers that don’t bust usually contribute immediately. So if you do get the pick right, you don’t have to wait on your investment. ODB, Mike Evans, Ridley, etc...

The paradigm can always shift. Not too long ago the league was shifting away from drafting 1st round RBs. Now we’ve had at least 1 drafted the last 3 drafts. I think teams are being more selective with WRs in the 1st, but not completely shying away from them. Look at how late Ridley and Moore went.

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Again, it really depends. The 1st round receivers that don’t bust usually contribute immediately. So if you do get the pick right, you don’t have to wait on your investment. ODB, Mike Evans, Ridley, etc...

The paradigm can always shift. Not too long ago the league was shifting away from drafting 1st round RBs. Now we’ve had at least 1 drafted the last 3 drafts. I think teams are being more selective with WRs in the 1st, but not completely shying away from them. Look at how late Ridley and Moore went.

All the reports say this draft is all about defense.

The Colts badly need defense.   Hard to see Ballard passing on defense to take a position that most GMs are shying away from.   It’s the opposite of what Ballard has talked about since arriving.

I think we'll sign a WR in free agency... maybe even an expensive one.   And I think we’ll draft one somewhere in R’s 2-4.    I just don’t see him taking a WR in the first.    I’d be beyond shocked if he did.   Just my view of things...

Gary has a ton of upside , and wasn't utilized correctly , but he does worry me. It could be a case of a guy who's a better pro than college player , but there's questions at the very least. 

I'd feel more comfortable with Simmons, Brown and Davis who were all on the board. I don't think any of them offer the pash-rushing potential that Gary does , but they're total rocks that could be our starting NT from day 1. In the case of Simmons, he could be a 3-T as well. 

That said, I did think that one of the better mocks I've seen. Good call.

14 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Part of the "problem" is that almost all of the college stars at WR (And other spots) are leaving school immediately when they are eligible 

That could be 3 or even 2 years

At the big programs, where you have many NFL talent level players, the future NFL star may only get ONE year of  starting in college (Haskins of Ohio State will PROBABLY get drafted in round one... maybe early, after ONE YEAR of starting in college)

This makes it difficult to find first year contributors and why my expectations are always initially low for rookies

The speed of the game, in the pros is well above what the kids see in college

AND........  MOST times....... a physically talented kid, may not have the intelligence and/or work ethic to make it in the pros

2 hours ago, Trueman said:

Gary has a ton of upside , and wasn't utilized correctly , but he does worry me. It could be a case of a guy who's a better pro than college player , but there's questions at the very least. 

I'd feel more comfortable with Simmons, Brown and Davis who were all on the board. I don't think any of them offer the pash-rushing potential that Gary does , but they're total rocks that could be our starting NT from day 1. In the case of Simmons, he could be a 3-T as well. 

That said, I did think that one of the better mocks I've seen. Good call.

Anyone that doesnt contribute in college at a high level,  and is shut down in the big games, (He disappeared in the OSU game, against an AVERAGE OL) shouldnt go early in a draft (at least not to MY team)

Too much risk......  A good pick in round 2........ But Im not spending a mid first on the guy

3 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

Part of the "problem" is that almost all of the college stars at WR (And other spots) are leaving school immediately when they are eligible 

That could be 3 or even 2 years

At the big programs, where you have many NFL talent level players, the future NFL star may only get ONE year of  starting in college (Haskins of Ohio State will PROBABLY get drafted in round one... maybe early, after ONE YEAR of starting in college)

This makes it difficult to find first year contributors and why my expectations are always initially low for rookies

The speed of the game, in the pros is well above what the kids see in college

AND........  MOST times....... a physically talented kid, may not have the intelligence and/or work ethic to make it in the pros

I think it’s smart for these guys to leave school early. Using the WR position in this case, it’s not like they’re are going to learn more by staying. Most college programs don’t teach NFL route concepts or advanced separating techniques. So if you don’t leave when your stock is the highest, you risk injury and losing out on money. 

So ideally your 1st round receivers are guys that are the most pro-ready even though they may still need refinement. They probably have blue traits like speed, size, etc... that give them an edge early on while they develop the other parts of their game. But like I said, it’s the scouts job to find the kids who have blue traits to factor in early on but can also become stars over time with refinement.

25 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I think it’s smart for these guys to leave school early. Using the WR position in this case, it’s not like they’re are going to learn more by staying. Most college programs don’t teach NFL route concepts or advanced separating techniques. So if you don’t leave when your stock is the highest, you risk injury and losing out on money. 

So ideally your 1st round receivers are guys that are the most pro-ready even though they may still need refinement. They probably have blue traits like speed, size, etc... that give them an edge early on while they develop the other parts of their game. But like I said, it’s the scouts job to find the kids who have blue traits to factor in early on but can also become stars over time with refinement.

I can't agree with your comment in some cases. Andrew Luck stayed in college even when he knew he might be the #1 pick. Sometimes these kids do value a college education and to finish what they started.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I can't agree with your comment in some cases. Andrew Luck stayed in college even when he knew he might be the #1 pick. Sometimes these kids do value a college education and to finish what they started.

i think it depends somewhat on their major and how serious they are about it.  luck has a degree in architectural design from stanford

i dont want to offend anyone so i wont list specifics, but there are some typical football player degrees that they only chose because they got a scholarship and had to pick something  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, aaron11 said:

i think it depends somewhat on their major and how serious they are about it.  luck has a degree in architectural design from stanford

i dont want to offend anyone so i wont list specifics, but there are some typical football player degrees that they only chose because they got a scholarship and had to pick something  

Communications lol

• Like 1