Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chris Polian drafted Anthony Castonzo.

NannyMcafee

24 minutes ago, TheMarine said:

Seems like a case of blind squirels. Will take it

Well when he gave up that 1st for Ugoh and that became a loser, so he had to draft another LT and Castonzo was the best available in a weak tackle draft. He was rated outside the top 20 LT's his 1st 2 seasons and 17 year 3. 
 He was pretty decent year 4 (contract year) and year 6. He looks solid working beside QN and i hope he remains worth resigning for 2-3 more years after 2019. 

2 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Well when he gave up that 1st for Ugoh and that became a loser, so he had to draft another LT and Castonzo was the best available in a weak tackle draft. He was rated outside the top 20 LT's his 1st 2 seasons and 17 year 3. 
 He was pretty decent year 4 (contract year) and year 6. He looks solid working beside QN and i hope he remains worth resigning for 2-3 more years after 2019. 

He has always been consistent though. Now he has better guys around him than he ever has in his career. 

I didn't forget that, what do I get?

Bill Polian for all of his personality quirks and management style (I don't care that the media didn't like him), didn't suck at his job until he changed his name to Chris! 

That was an odd situation that clearly needed nipped. "Here's my kid, he's good at this too!"..

Peyton made things too easy for certain people.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, NannyMcafee said:

I had completely forgotten about this until someone asked about it on the forum. I just thought it was interesting that pretty much our only good offensive lineman has been Castonzo. 

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2011/5/2/2148398/the-colts-front-office-discuss-the-2011-nfl-draft-picks

castanzo looks better than ever imo. 

hmmmmm. I guess the Colts didnt draft Q.Nelson then. (kanye shrug) 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

hmmmmm. I guess the Colts didnt draft Q.Nelson then. (kanye shrug) 

Or Ryan Kelly.

Or Jack Mewhort.

Or Braden Smith.

Also, I just looked up "kanye shrug", and I like it.

maxresdefault.jpg

I mean... what do you want?  80% of our current OLine was drafted in the top 2 rounds.  And Glowinski is a hard-nosed dude from West Virginia that cut his teeth in Seattle...

Who knew if you invested in the OLine you might have a good offense...

tenor.gif?itemid=5599998

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

It was never clear where Bill ended and Chris began, but I always thought Bill was in charge of the Ugoh draft...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

A broken clock is still right twice a day...  So Chris Polian is halfway there with AC pick.  Was there another?

Depends which years were actually Chris Polian drafts. Hughes was a bust for us but he turned out to be a good player.

5 hours ago, chad72 said:

Unless you are Matt Millen, all of whose draft picks were out of the league within 5 or 6 years except Megatron, pretty much most GMs will have at least 1 or 2 picks that work out over a span of 5 years.

He did manage to have more hits than that. In his first draft the hit on his 3 first picks (Jeff Backus, Dom Raiola and Shaun Rogers).. so not sure how much influence he had on that draft, lol. But he did find Andre Goodman, Cory Redding and Cliff Avril later on.. Of course that's terrible draft record for so many drafts and high picks.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I believe you are correct.

According to ProFootball Reference, Bill Polian was the GM until 2009 then Chris Polian became the GM in 2010

I don't see Bill letting Chris pick a player Bill thinks is going to fail just because Chris is running the draft.

Bill had significant input, if not ultimate decision making authority, into all major personnel decisions until he was fired, IMO.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I don't see Bill letting Chris pick a player Bill thinks is going to fail just because Chris is running the draft.

Bill had significant input, if not ultimate decision making authority, into all major personnel decisions until he was fired, IMO.

Bill blew the 2007 and 2008 drafts. It's not hard to believe he and his son would blow some picks together. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Superman said:

Bill blew the 2007 and 2008 drafts. It's not hard to believe he and his son would blow some picks together. 

I distinctly remember Polian saying that he was sorry he missed out on Andy Dalton.  Dalton was taken in the second round of the 2011, or the Castonzo draft.  We took Ben Ijilana in the 2nd, who was looking to be a good olineman before blowing out his knee twice.  Drake Nevis in the 3rd....a three tech who was cut when we went to the 34 under Grigson.  (A good player cut for scheme change)

So it seems he had a lot of say in the 2011 draft based upon his past comments.

8 hours ago, DougDew said:

I distinctly remember Polian saying that he was sorry he missed out on Andy Dalton.  Dalton was taken in the second round of the 2011, or the Castonzo draft.  We took Ben Ijilana in the 2nd, who was looking to be a good olineman before blowing out his knee twice.  Drake Nevis in the 3rd....a three tech who was cut when we went to the 34 under Grigson.  (A good player cut for scheme change)

So it seems he had a lot of say in the 2011 draft based upon his past comments.

Drake Nevis was cut by 3 other 4-3 base defense using teams after we cut him and ended up in the CFL.

21 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

And Grigson drafted Kelly.  Seems like each of the last 2 GMs contributed to the current O-line. It’s funny how in each of their last drafts, both Polian and Grigson got it right by selecting an OL with their 1st round pick.

I went back and looked at the history, and whenever the Colts devoted a first or second round pick to the Oline, that player ended up being a good to great player.  No busts, except for Tony Ugoh.  Bill Polian traded a future first to select him in the second round.  Ben Ijalana busted his knee two seasons in a row.  I wouldn't put that into the bust category though.

Back in the day, we selected G Ron Solt, and Chris Hinton was a 1st rounder involved in the Elway trade.  Bill Tobin selected Tarik Glenn and Adam Meadows. 

And then both Jeff Saturday and Joe Reitz were UDFAs that had great or good careers, so we've had some hits their too.  And Glowinski is a waiver claim who has played well so far.

It was the mid level FA and mid round picks that had either mid level careers or were busts. 

But Polian had a much better record in the mid rounds than either Grigson or Ballard (one time, Banner).  Polian took Steve McKinney and Ryan Diem in the 4th, and Jake Scott in the 4th or 5th, IIRC.