Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

This conspiracy theory read got a little more interesting after the 1-5 record

chad72

I was rummaging through what was prognosticated about Chris Ballard at the beginning of the season and felt this was an amusing read. It is hard to discard half the stuff written in this though it was presented as a conspiracy report, in hindsight. Ultimately, it boils down to glass half full or glass half empty, I guess. Amusing, nevertheless. :) 

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2018/9/4/17813726/week-1-nfl-conspiracy-report-chris-ballard-is-planning-to-have-a-bad-defense

Man, that was a terrible read and just when I thought it was going to elaborate more on why Ballard is building a terrible defense, the article ends. 

If anything that has held this team back from being built correctly is:

A) Ryan Grigson

and

B) Terrible AFC South

Those two factors in my opinion are what held this team back a bit. The AFC South was so terrible that we would be beating the Jags, Titans, and Texans twice a year. Then outside of the division we would take a whoopin' at times. Now that the AFC South is a little bit tougher and this team has cleaned house, we're drowning. It takes time. I don't think we're in a 3 year plan but more of a 5 year plan. Ballard isn't building anything bad, he's building a fast defense with players that fit his scheme.

• Like 1

I think it's both the scheme change and the fact that that Ballard was invested in improving up front first.  

Lets look at where we spent our day 1 and 2 picks.

OL

LB

OL

DL

DL

Now you can argue, maybe Ballard did avoid spending much on free agents with the intention that this season was suppose to not go well so that he can get better draft capital to spend in 2019.  

I will also point out that with the exception of Lewis, all of our day 1 and 2 picks seem to be contributing rather well.  

But I will say I certainly hope he does something with the secondary next year.  

4 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Why does everybody think success in the NFL is based upon following a plan? 

Most of it is based upon luck and catching lighting in a bottle for a season or two.

No, most of it based upon the players you have.   A plan is needed to build a team with those players.   Once you have a decent foundation, then you can tweak it with a free agent here and there.  

2 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

I think it's both the scheme change and the fact that that Ballard was invested in improving up front first.  

OL

LB

OL

DL

DL

Good post.   This certainly shows that Ballard is building from the lines out.   Kind of the way it should be done.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

OL

LB

OL

DL

DL

Now you can argue, maybe Ballard did avoid spending much on free agents with the intention that this season was suppose to not go well so that he can get better draft capital to spend in 2019.  

I will also point out that with the exception of Lewis, all of our day 1 and 2 picks seem to be contributing rather well.  

But I will say I certainly hope he does something with the secondary next year.  

Maybe should have kept Melvin and Anderson. Melvin might have wanted out the door so who knows.

3 minutes ago, Blueblood23 said:

Maybe should have kept Melvin and Anderson. Melvin might have wanted out the door so who knows.

melvin was a curious one, not sure why he would be dead set on joining the raiders.  they are no better than us.  hes not from there or anything, hes out of Illinois 

7 minutes ago, Myles said:

Good post.   This certainly shows that Ballard is building from the lines out.   Kind of the way it should be done.  

True. Winning a SB is mighty hard, even when you have assembled a talented roster. This has been gone through over and over before. You can't expect to knock on the door a couple of times in the playoffs and expect to go all the way.  Yes, you can get lucky but more often than not, it takes a handful of times with enough things going your way, including HFA.

5 minutes ago, Blueblood23 said:

How has Melvin been doing with Oakland?  

My thought it maybe Ballard felt like Melvin would regress to the mean or something.  

I think the article might have some legitimacy to it because of how little Ballard did with free agency.  

He clearly had the resources in FA to do more to improve this team but didn't.  

3 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

My thought it maybe Ballard felt like Melvin would regress to the mean or something.  

I think the article might have some legitimacy to it because of how little Ballard did with free agency.  

I don't know how he's doing in Oakland. I just thought he was better than Wilson. Must have wanted to much money so they parted ways.

4 minutes ago, Blueblood23 said:

I don't know how he's doing in Oakland. I just thought he was better than Wilson. Must have wanted to much money so they parted ways. 

Everything Ive seen said Ballard offered him $ but in a 1 year deal (A "prove it" kinda $), he instead went for a longer contract which offered less per year

Not focusing on any one GM, but throwing them both into the same mix, the Colts have yet to replace impactful players like Mathis and Wayne, who, IMO, were very much a part of the success of the early Grigson years. Not to mention Vontae Davis who removed one receiver by himself (different D now)

We've used first round picks on Werner, TRich, Dorset, a C, a FS, and a G.  The latter 3 mid to high first rounders.  

At least the first three were an attempt to provide/replace some playmakers, but were bad players.

This team cannot continue to ignore positional value for another year.  It must find an impactful player at an impactful position during the first round or the rebuilding process will be years behind where it should be.  Having said that, I'd settle for a RT who could be the future LT when ACs contract is up.

11 minutes ago, Blueblood23 said:

he took less money to go to Oakland.

Just now, pgt_rob said:

Rashaan Melvin wanted to be an Oakland Raider. I think there's a tweet out there from him saying he preferred to play for a bigger market type team than Indianapolis. For what reason? No clue.

bigger market team usually equals more exposure, thus equaling more endorsement deals, maybe even bigger contracts.

53 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

We also don't know how the owner affected his decisions.  

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

he took less money to go to Oakland.

bigger market team usually equals more exposure, thus equaling more endorsement deals, maybe even bigger contracts.

Peyton was one of the most highly endorsed  athletes worldwide playing in Indy.  Football is different than the NBA and MLB as it pertains to market-size, see Pitt and Green Bay, and players either use their platform to capitalize on endorsement opportunities or not.  Aaron Rodgers is another good example. 

Besides, Melvin's appeal is local at best.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Clem-Dog said:

Peyton was one of the most highly endorsed  athletes worldwide playing in Indy.  Football is different than the NBA and MLB as it pertains to market-size, see Pitt and Green Bay, and players either use their platform to capitalize on endorsement opportunities or not.  Aaron Rodgers is another good example. 

Besides, Melvin's appeal is local at best.

While that is true, you're comparing one of the greatest players ever to a career journey man.  Odds are, he's not getting national or international endorsement deals. However, some municipalities will have greater local endorsement opportunities. Thus an increase in his odds.  

6 hours ago, DougDew said:

Most of it is based upon luck and catching lighting in a bottle for a season or two.

Because Ballard has sold ownership and the fan base on a 3-5 year rebuild.  Even though fans can’t even agree what year we are actually in now.  Lol.

In the NFL, teams typically can turn things around pretty quickly if they utilize both free agency and the draft effectively.  It really doesn’t have to take that long.  But Ballard is trying to apply Money Ball principals to the NFL.  He wants to rebuild cheaply from the ground up...which means build through the draft.  And he wants to sign cheap free agents.  While it may work in baseball for some franchises the jury is out if he can replicate that success in the NFL realm. Baseball rebuilds typically take several years.  The NFL is designed for teams to get better quickly...they want parity.  Ballard has chosen a baseball like approach for the Colts.  He is calling up prospects trying to see who can stick.  Time will tell if it pays off.  

6 hours ago, DougDew said:

The patriots must have a gigantic bottle that they caught lightning in 19 years ago

• Like 1

10 hours ago, csmopar said:

While that is true, you're comparing one of the greatest players ever to a career journey man.  Odds are, he's not getting national or international endorsement deals. However, some municipalities will have greater local endorsement opportunities. Thus an increase in his odds.  

Getting that big money doing commercials for the local furniture store.

We have the Franchise QB, question is can we put a Championship team around him? What the Rams have done is pretty impressive after getting rid of Jeff Fisher. Bringing in Sean McVay to Coach and Wade Phillips for DC turned that team around in 1 year. Goff has shown he is the real deal but he also has the right Coach and the Rams have put together a Great Defense. Fisher held Goff back.

-Regarding Ballard, I always give a GM or Coach at least 3 years before I complain or rip the job they are doing. Asking him to re-build a team in 2 years is unrealistic when he didn't even get the Coach he wanted until this season. If Ballard doesn't nail this next Draft and spend some some in Free Agency in the spring of 2019 then I will be concerned. Next season should be the season we actually do go 9-7 or so heading into a positive direction, if not I will start to wonder what is going on. As of now, although I had us winning 8 or 9 games this season I fully understand why we are 1-5. We are a young team that is making key mistakes late in games and have had tons of key injuries.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DougDew said:

Not focusing on any one GM, but throwing them both into the same mix, the Colts have yet to replace impactful players like Mathis and Wayne, who, IMO, were very much a part of the success of the early Grigson years. Not to mention Vontae Davis who removed one receiver by himself (different D now)

We've used first round picks on Werner, TRich, Dorset, a C, a FS, and a G.  The latter 3 mid to high first rounders.  

At least the first three were an attempt to provide/replace some playmakers, but were bad players.

This team cannot continue to ignore positional value for another year.  It must find an impactful player at an impactful position during the first round or the rebuilding process will be years behind where it should be.  Having said that, I'd settle for a RT who could be the future LT when ACs contract is up.

I happen to like most of Ballard’s draft picks,for I think building from the inside out is the correct way to do it.  It May not be sexy and it might drive impatient fans wanting instant results crazy, but for long term core strength for sustainable success, I think he’s doing it absolutely correctly. 

Next year, as I see it, the biggest needs are OT, CB, maybe S, ... and of course WR and maybe RB, though I am still impressed by Mack, if only he can get and stay healthy so we can really see what we have in him.  Hence, I could see next year’s draft yielding OT, OT, DB, DB, WR, WR, DE, RB.

Will be interesting to see what might be available in FA, too, but I think Ballard is absolutely building the team correctly.  Also, FACT, this team’s hope for success HAS been undone by injury this year, combined with youthful mistakes.  The injury thing is not just an excuse, it’s widely recognized that Colts have been disproportionately devestated by injury (yet again <roll eyes>).  As for youthful mistakes, I am going to chalk it up to growing pains, the experience of which should serve the team well for the future.

Hence, I like ve these “boring” draft picks that so many are slagging.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, chad72 said:

I was rummaging through what was prognosticated about Chris Ballard at the beginning of the season and felt this was an amusing read. It is hard to discard half the stuff written in this though it was presented as a conspiracy report, in hindsight. Ultimately, it boils down to glass half full or glass half empty, I guess. Amusing, nevertheless. :) 

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2018/9/4/17813726/week-1-nfl-conspiracy-report-chris-ballard-is-planning-to-have-a-bad-defense

I hope everyone reading this notes two things...

One, this story was from early September....    before the season even started.

Two,  in the lead-in,  the writer says this is for ENTERTAINMENT purposes ONLY and NOT to be taken seriously. 

P.S. --- on a personal note,  Colts.com poached Stampede's best writer, who now works for us.     And frankly,  I think SB's work this year has been exceedingly poor.      Reasonable minds can disagree and your mileage may vary,  but that's my view...

• Like 1

This is a rebuild but every Colts fan knows we are a few players away from being 5-1!  Why wait another yr when the division is wide open??  2nd most cap space & you hoard because you don’t believe in this team?  This fan base is not used to laying down, shame on you Chris Ballard!!!  

7 hours ago, rockywoj said:

I happen to like most of Ballard’s draft picks,for I think building from the inside out is the correct way to do it.  It May not be sexy and it might drive impatient fans wanting instant results crazy, but for long term core strength for sustainable success, I think he’s doing it absolutely correctly. 

Next year, as I see it, the biggest needs are OT, CB, maybe S, ... and of course WR and maybe RB, though I am still impressed by Mack, if only he can get and stay healthy so we can really see what we have in him.  Hence, I could see next year’s draft yielding OT, OT, DB, DB, WR, WR, DE, RB.

Will be interesting to see what might be available in FA, too, but I think Ballard is absolutely building the team correctly.  Also, FACT, this team’s hope for success HAS been undone by injury this year, combined with youthful mistakes.  The injury thing is not just an excuse, it’s widely recognized that Colts have been disproportionately devestated by injury (yet again <roll eyes>).  As for youthful mistakes, I am going to chalk it up to growing pains, the experience of which should serve the team well for the future.

Hence, I like ve these “boring” draft picks that so many are slagging.

But drafting from the inside out or drafting boring positions is not the issue.  The issue is devoting high picks normally attached to play making positions to these boring positions.

Sorry, I simply think those positions can get the same quality player between picks 20 and 50, in terms of ultimate impact to the team.  Kelly was a luxury at #18, IMO.  The other two went even higher than him. 

I'm not saying the team is doomed to failure.  When we draft another OT with a first rounder, it will be nice to see a decent running game and Luck having time to place the ball correctly to a receiver.  With this offense, I don't think we particularly need high picks for WR and RB either.  Its just that if we continue to ignore positional value year after year, I think it will eventually catch up to us.

• Like 1

All I can do is shake my head reading comments. Do fans not remember the redskins trying to buy a Super Bowl year after year?!? How many did they get.....Zero. Heck they didn't even make the playoffs all those times.

Then there's philly, the dream teams lol. You CANNOT buy a championship. We've seen it over and over yet fans still want our CB to make it rain. Give me a fricken break.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, DougDew said:

How can you have such a good post and then say something nonsensical like this?

This is not the old NFL where the speed rushers line up on the offensive left and the run stopper lines up on the defensive right.  The skill set needed for RT and LTs now is so similar the idea of moving a guy from one side to the other makes no sense, all that would happen in that scenario is handicapping the player by making him fight his muscle memory by doing the complete opposite of what his body's reaction is telling him to do.  The "edge" rushers now a days line up on both the right side and left side in equal portions, maybe even a bit more on the offensive right side.

22 hours ago, DougDew said:

Grigson replaced wayne when he drafted Hilton, and Lenorard is the replacement of mathis.

8 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I hope everyone reading this notes two things...

One, this story was from early September....    before the season even started.

Two,  in the lead-in,  the writer says this is for ENTERTAINMENT purposes ONLY and NOT to be taken seriously. 

P.S. --- on a personal note,  Colts.com poached Stampede's best writer, who now works for us.     And frankly,  I think SB's work this year has been exceedingly poor.      Reasonable minds can disagree and your mileage may vary,  but that's my view...

Their film work has been very reasonable, IMO. Opinion pieces or interpretations of what happened on the field has not been up to snuff. Maybe I am too kind on the latter. :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Coffeedrinker said:

How can you have such a good post and then say something nonsensical like this?

This is not the old NFL where the speed rushers line up on the offensive left and the run stopper lines up on the defensive right.  The skill set needed for RT and LTs now is so similar the idea of moving a guy from one side to the other makes no sense, all that would happen in that scenario is handicapping the player by making him fight his muscle memory by doing the complete opposite of what his body's reaction is telling him to do.  The "edge" rushers now a days line up on both the right side and left side in equal portions, maybe even a bit more on the offensive right side.

If you want the rookie to stay at RT and resign AC to continue to play LT, that might be an option too.  I'm just thinking about contract and ACs career probably beginning to descend after this contract and the rookies ascending, so they switch.  It was a suggestions for not having to spend 2 high picks for 2 new Ts  and trying to maximize ACs talent. 

I wouldn't expect AC to play at the level we want him to at LT after this contract.  Maybe, but I wouldn't plan for it.

I still think the LT demands higher than RT, and its definitely comparable to an impactful skilled position, IMO.

The issue with spending 2 high picks on Ts is that we also spent high picks on a G and a C already.  We would have an oline comprised almost entirely of 1st round picks, probably higher than pick 18 too.  That's some pretty heavy resources invested across the oline during a 5-6 year period that I don't think is possible to maximize the return.  Dallas was the model for that and their line is falling apart (sort of) because of various things. 

7 minutes ago, DougDew said:

If you want the rookie to stay at RT and resign AC to continue to play LT, that might be an option too.  I'm just thinking about contract and ACs career probably beginning to descend after this contract and the rookies ascending, so they switch.  It was a suggestions for not having to spend 2 high picks for 2 new Ts  and trying to maximize ACs talent. 

I still think the LT demands higher than RT, and its definitely comparable to an impactful skilled position, IMO.

The issue with spending 2 high picks on Ts is that we also spent high picks on a G and a C already.  We would have an oline comprised almost entirely of 1st round picks, probably higher than pick 18 too.  That's some pretty heavy resources invested across the oline that I don't think is possible to maximize the return.  Dallas was the model for that and their line is falling apart (sort of) because of various things. 

What can I say?  You're reasoning is sound, I think the basis for your reasoning is flawed though.

I don't really think any program like an NFL team is built or rebuilt with a plan. Plans are fine on day one, but things change, opportunities arise and bad luck knocks you down. You may have a plan for a draft, a plan for a game or a plan for getting players under contract, but long-term plans are probably a waste of time.

I'd describe it more of having a philosophy about putting together a team. That philosophy would include things like what defense to run, where to spend money vs. where to develop, what kind of position you need to be in to dump some money on a big time free agent or how to use your draft picks. 

• Like 1

I read and I read and I read and yet no one can explain one simple thing to me.  Where are the play makers?  And don't give me TY Hilton.  He's a great number 2 WR at best.  He can't carry Marvin and Reggie's lunch pails for them.  I have said it before I will say it again.  Mr. Irsay should be ashamed of what he has done to Andrew Luck.  Peyton got HOF Coach, HOF Offensive Coordinator, HOF Offensive Line Coach, HOF Def End in Freeny, Close to HOF Def End in Mathis, HOF WR in Marvin, HOF WR in Reggie, HOF Left Tackle in Tarik Glenn, A great Center, HOF GM, HOF Running back Marshall Faulk, but wait another HOF Running back in Edge.  Luck has had rookie GMs, coaches, coordinators, and no talent at all put around him.  Ballard is no better than Grigson.  There is a startling lack of talent on this team in the 2nd year.  Yep it's going to turn around in the 3rd year.  It's not.  You don't have enough draft picks.  What's next 1st round right guard, 2nd round right tackle?  At this rate Ballard will have the Offensive line built in another 3 years, then we only have to worry about the defense and some play makers on Offense.  And some of you buy into this nonsense.  And that's what it is nonsense.  This team is awful.  Worse than last year's team.  There is no improvement as the year is progressing.  As a matter of fact it is getting worse.  They are now getting gashed in the run game and can't make a sack at all.  This team is awful.  Last year's team was awful.  Grigson was bad, but Ballard is no better.  Actually a lot worse.  Grigson's overall record?  49-31 I think.  Ballard's?  5-17.  Yep that's right.  Ballard will have to go 44-14 in the next 3.5 years to even match Grigson's record.  Not going to happen.  This team is going backwards.  Has been since Peyton left and nothing is changing that with this regime.  Nothing.  It's a joke.  But then again except for the Peyton years and a brief stint with Harbaugh, the Indianapolis Colts have always been a joke.  Polian made the Colts who they were and Ballard is no Polian.  But hey, can't wait till next year when all of you are telling us about the 4 year plan.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Hooksalot said:

I read and I read and I read and yet no one can explain one simple thing to me.  Where are the play makers?  And don't give me TY Hilton.  He's a great number 2 WR at best.  He can't carry Marvin and Reggie's lunch pails for them.  I have said it before I will say it again.  Mr. Irsay should be ashamed of what he has done to Andrew Luck.  Peyton got HOF Coach, HOF Offensive Coordinator, HOF Offensive Line Coach, HOF Def End in Freeny, Close to HOF Def End in Mathis, HOF WR in Marvin, HOF WR in Reggie, HOF Left Tackle in Tarik Glenn, A great Center, HOF GM, HOF Running back Marshall Faulk, but wait another HOF Running back in Edge.  Luck has had rookie GMs, coaches, coordinators, and no talent at all put around him.  Ballard is no better than Grigson.  There is a startling lack of talent on this team in the 2nd year.  Yep it's going to turn around in the 3rd year.  It's not.  You don't have enough draft picks.  What's next 1st round right guard, 2nd round right tackle?  At this rate Ballard will have the Offensive line built in another 3 years, then we only have to worry about the defense and some play makers on Offense.  And some of you buy into this nonsense.  And that's what it is nonsense.  This team is awful.  Worse than last year's team.  There is no improvement as the year is progressing.  As a matter of fact it is getting worse.  They are now getting gashed in the run game and can't make a sack at all.  This team is awful.  Last year's team was awful.  Grigson was bad, but Ballard is no better.  Actually a lot worse.  Grigson's overall record?  49-31 I think.  Ballard's?  5-17.  Yep that's right.  Ballard will have to go 44-14 in the next 3.5 years to even match Grigson's record.  Not going to happen.  This team is going backwards.  Has been since Peyton left and nothing is changing that with this regime.  Nothing.  It's a joke.  But then again except for the Peyton years and a brief stint with Harbaugh, the Indianapolis Colts have always been a joke.  Polian made the Colts who they were and Ballard is no Polian.  But hey, can't wait till next year when all of you are telling us about the 4 year plan.

I don't really know if this post is funny or sad.

Anyway to the bolded, you do realize that all of that took 6 years to accomplish and you expect Ballard to do it in 2?

Irsay did make mistakes in hiring Grigson and Pagano and if you look back in the posts I did not think Pagano was a good hire and for me, it all went back to Pagano's 1st press conference, people were asking him about his defense, etc and someone asked, "What type of offense are you going to run?"  Pagano looked at him wide eyed for about 2 seconds and then said, "I know in the NFL you have to be able to run the ball and stop the run."  I knew then he didn't have a clue.

Also a few other things.

Dungy was not considered a HOF coach when the Colts hired him, he was considered an ok HC but most thought he should go back to being a DC.

Glenn is not and I doubt he will be a HOF LT.  he was good most of his career and great for a few years but nothing HOF worthy.

I like Ballards plan.  The core of the defense is in place with Leonard, Walker, Hooker, and Autry.  The core of the offense is in place with Luck, Hilton, Mack, Nelson, Kelly, AC, Smith

Add to that, they have other guys developing and improving... Ebron, Grant, Moore II, Desir, Ridgway, Turay.

So many people act like you have to have a 1st or 2nd round pick at every position to be successful and that is not the case

• Like 2