Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How did the Colts offensive line do?

Yoshinator

I didn't get to see this game live as the Chargers and Browns were on in my area. I just saw gametracker and certain highlights of the game. I'm asking this to anyone who saw the game live or on tv, how did the offensive line do? I know we didn't allow any sacks to Luck, but how did each individual player in particular look? Did Constanzo and Kelly look 100%? Did Nelson shine against Leonard Williams? Did Braden Smith have a nice game at RG? Who started at RT and did they hold their own? I would really appreciate it as it's hard to find stats on the O-Line. Thanks!

1 hour ago, Luck 4 president said:

Nelson got blown up worse than any other lineman I’ve seen this season.

There’s our all-pro rookie

I see Nelson got him to the ground and out of the passing lane. Great technique by Nelson.
Not surprised  a nattering  nabob wouldn't see this. 
 What a treat it was to pound the ball behind AC and Nelson today.
I notice Williams had a sack and 5 tackles each of the last 2 games. One game was against Jax, was that All-Pro LG Norwell? haha. A big Goose-egg against the Full Nelson. chuckle

• Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

I see Nelson got him to the ground and out of the passing lane. Great technique by Nelson.
Not surprised  a nattering  nabob wouldn't see this. 
 What a treat it was to pound the ball behind AC and Nelson today.
I notice Williams had a sack and 5 tackles each of the last 2 games. One game was against Jax, was that All-Pro LG Norwell? haha. A big Goose-egg against the Full Nelson. chuckle

A DT has 5 tackles and that means the Oline is worse?

I think it means the offensive scheme runs the ball between the tackles a lot...like Jax.

As predicted, scheme change reduces the sack numbers and folks will immediately congratulate the oline, just like it blamed them for high sacks stats the past few years.

2 hours ago, Luck 4 president said:

Nelson often times pass blocks by trying to out muscle his opponent.  When directly in front of his man, he spreads his feet wide, very wide, and tries to hold his ground.  His feet are too wide to be able to move with much agility.  And when met with greater force, or force at the right time, his wide-footed plant is going to get him bowled over, just like you see.  His wide stance ground-holding is on many highlight reals in college, except...he was always strong enough to hold his ground in college.  In another game this year, he got pancaked the same way for the same reason.  He will continue to do so as defenses catch on unless he learns to keep his feet better positioned.  Standing directly in front of the DT and holding him off with pure strength will not work in the long run.

2 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I didn't get to see this game live as the Chargers and Browns were on in my area. I just saw gametracker and certain highlights of the game. I'm asking this to anyone who saw the game live or on tv, how did the offensive line do? I know we didn't allow any sacks to Luck, but how did each individual player in particular look? Did Constanzo and Kelly look 100%? Did Nelson shine against Leonard Williams? Did Braden Smith have a nice game at RG? Who started at RT and did they hold their own? I would really appreciate it as it's hard to find stats on the O-Line. Thanks!

The left side was dominant - Most pressure came from the right

Run blocking looked improved as the game wore on 

I don't think there was any sacks - Luck had forever to throw the ball 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Nelson often times pass blocks by trying to out muscle his opponent.  When directly in front of his man, he spreads his feet wide, very wide, and tries to hold his ground.  His feet are too wide to be able to move with much agility.  And when met with greater force, or force at the right time, his wide-footed plant is going to get him bowled over, just like you see.  His wide stance ground-holding is on many highlight reals in college, except...he was always strong enough to hold his ground in college.  In another game this year, he got pancaked the same way for the same reason.  He will continue to do so as defenses catch on unless he learns to keep his feet better positioned.  Standing directly in front of the DT and holding him off with pure strength will not work in the long run.

You could see his leg hit AC and thats why it was the worst blown up ever play ever 

He played well 

11 minutes ago, Alex22 said:

You could see his leg hit AC and thats why it was the worst blown up ever play ever 

He played well 

If you watch his college tapes in certain pass blocking situations, he is quick to widen his stance, plant his feet and hold his ground.  But if he was ever met with a greater force, he will get bowled over because his feet are in no position to elevate and adjust.  Also in these one on one straight ahead situations, he is quick to stick out his chest and chin....too upright.

If you watch the tape closely, he gets pushed over by extra effort from Williams.  But just before that, Nelson has his head up and chest straight up. Its what allows Leonard to get a good push on him.  

I'm not saying he didn't play well or that he couldn't learn.  But what I see in that highlight is what I saw many times in college, except that he never got knocked back because he was always the stronger guy.

1 hour ago, JMichael557 said:

Q dominated the Jets DT all game. If you watch above closely I believe that Q was tripped by Kelly. Would have to see end zone shot to be sure. 

I was wondering about that because Nelson is not that weak.  I had thought something must have happened that the camera angle didn't capture.

6 hours ago, Luck 4 president said:

Williams had 16 tackles and 3 sacks after 5 games. After this game he added to that list... 0 tackles, 0 sacks. Make no mistake, he is #6 pick (2015) by himself. 3 more years of playing in NFL, conditioning in NFL...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Luck 4 president said:

Yeah I saw that...ouch!!! One play though.  He will be fine. I am sure he is not the only oline guy to get bull rushed like that. 

8 hours ago, DougDew said:

Uh, that is not even close to correct.  Nelson's stance is fine, an Olineman wants to have a wide stance, it gives them more balance, not less.  He does sometimes get caught off balance by not having his feet set.  Also, standing in front of a DT and holding him off with strength is exactly what he should be doing, mind you he needs to get his feet set first so he can get anchored.  In the two plays where I saw Nelson get pushed back badly, both occurred when the Dline was doing a stunt.  This seemed to cause an issue with Nelson being able to anchor in those two instances.

11 hours ago, Luck 4 president said:

I saw that but it didn't bother me as much since Leonard fell down also. So meh. Luck was still doing great behind the line.

2 hours ago, Cynjin said:

Uh, that is not even close to correct.  Nelson's stance is fine, an Olineman wants to have a wide stance, it gives them more balance, not less.  He does sometimes get caught off balance by not having his feet set.  Also, standing in front of a DT and holding him off with strength is exactly what he should be doing, mind you he needs to get his feet set first so he can get anchored.  In the two plays where I saw Nelson get pushed back badly, both occurred when the Dline was doing a stunt.  This seemed to cause an issue with Nelson being able to anchor in those two instances.

If its too wide he can't move his feet.  The angle of the leg is too severe to allow him to lift his feet easily.   

I'm simply saying that I think Olineman perform better in pass blocking when they don't let the DT get into their chest.  Rather, they take a step back, pop the DT,  take a step back, pop them again, take a step back, pop them again.  They are always in position to adjust their feet.  With a quick three step drop offense, giving a bit of ground is okay.

I don't see too many NFL olineman pass block like Nelson, where many times he's trying to keep the rusher from even passing the LOS by engaging him in a pushing match with a real wide stance.  He did that an awful lot in college, and he was usually if not always the stronger player.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

If its too wide he can't move his feet.  The angle of the leg is too severe to allow him to lift his feet easily.   

I'm simply saying that I think Olineman perform better in pass blocking when they don't let the DT get into their chest.  Rather, they take a step back, pop the DT,  take a step back, pop them again, take a step back, pop them again.  They are always in position to adjust their feet.  With a quick three step drop offense, giving a bit of ground is okay.

I don't see too many NFL olineman pass block like Nelson, where many times he's trying to keep the rusher from even passing the LOS by engaging him in a pushing match with a real wide stance.  He did that an awful lot in college, and was usually if not always the stronger player.

I don't disagree with you about the stance, he does get his feet too wide which limits his ability to explode into the rusher.  But I do disagree with the pop and step back approach, you can't really do that in the NFL (or in college level ball any more) there are too many stunts and gap assignments if a lineman tries to step into the defender first and the dlineman is going to other way the play is lost off the snap.  In the NFL they teach to step back immediately.  The tackles take the large kick step, the guards a shorter back step.

4 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I don't disagree with you about the stance, he does get his feet too wide which limits his ability to explode into the rusher.  But I do disagree with the pop and step back approach, you can't really do that in the NFL (or in college level ball any more) there are too many stunts and gap assignments if a lineman tries to step into the defender first and the dlineman is going to other way the play is lost off the snap.  In the NFL they teach to step back immediately.  The tackles take the large kick step, the guards a shorter back step.

Yeah, I didn't mean to lunge into the defender.  What I mean is that they should be in position to keep their balance.  They don't have to necessarily take steps backwards or forwards.  Having quick feet is important.

I see Nelson take that one step back and plant with a wide stance and engage in a shoving match.

I think Nelson is seen an a big strong athletic freak who can do all of those things, but at this point in his young career, I think he's trying to get by with muscle too much and not his feet.

• Like 1