Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What I see from Darius Leonard

Lawrence Owen

5 minutes ago, Lawrence Owen said:

I'm going by what i've seen from individual play in the preseason.  Not what others say,..Not Colts brass/coaches, not media, just what the tape has shown me.

#1 : Most people think Leonards #1 quality is speed,...and though he has this in abundance, and is a favorable trait that cannot be coached, it is not always something to go by when drafting.  Speed can get you nowhere fast.  But Leonard has shown the ability to see a play as it is happening and use his speed to make plays.  So he goes somewhere fast.

#2 : Once he gets to the ball, he tackles with his speed.  This is a plus and a minus.  If his contact is good, he can blow a play up, jar footballs loose, ect.  But if he misses, he's out of the rest of the play do to overshooting.  He also needs to be slightly better at being more disciplined in run gaps though.  A few big runs were due to him hitting the line too fast. Coachable.

#3 : He has the best coverage skills i've seen in a Colts uniform at LB'er since Cato June (maybe better).  His size and speed allows him to shadow TE's and RB's step for step.  And his athleticism makes it really tough for a QB to feel comfortable throwing in his direction.  

#4 : As stated at #3, He has serious athleticism.  In Zone (something i am not a fan of btw) his athleticism allows him to make plays on the ball while it is mid air.  He has such a wide reach he can make a play on a ball where an opposing QB actually feels safe.

#5 : He takes decent angles...not great though.  His diagnosis of play seem to be  where the play is now, not where it 'could' be when he gets there.  Coachable.

#6 : Full steam ahead...24/7.  This guy never takes a break.  He is always moving, always surveying. Even if a play happens 1/2 way across the field, it seems he thinks he can get there to make a play.  Love this.

In retrospect, this could actually be as big of a draft pick as Quinton Nelson.  With a few coachable flaws, and natural talent, and a motor that don't stop, I honestly think he is our best chance at a pro bowler on defense. Yes, even over Hooker.  If the coaches pick a little 'stick-up' on his gloves, he could be right there with Hooker in Int's with as many plays on a pass i believe he'll make. (sadly, preseason showed me that yes he can makes plays on the pass by knocking them down,...he doesn't seem to be the best pass catcher).

Remember, this is my opinion on what i've seen in preseason.  He is the most exciting player i've seen at linebacker in a loooong time.  (Definitely a great pick by Ballard so far)

I think Leonard will be a good one as well. Nice write up. I was a big Cato June fan, he was just a playmaker on D much like Leonard looks to be.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stephen said:

Glad morrison is gone

Honestly.  I liked Morrison as a run thumper.  That is his new job at GB, and so far i hear fans are pretty stoked about him in that role.

But in this defense, he had no place...just too slow to cover anyone...and that's what is needed in this type of defense.

• Like 1

As I said after the draft he was 1st round talent with 1st round tape.  Those who said he was a reach I'd say imo of course that they'd be wrong.  Best pick of the 2nd round now he just needs to finish the job.  In 2 years he should be a probowler or fringe probowler. 

:thmup:

Packers' Antonio Morrison: Making strong case for roster spot

by RotoWire Staff | RotoWire

Morrison, who has been impressive throughout training camp, has a chance to make the 53-man roster, Wes Hodkiewicz of the team's official site reports.

According to the report, Morrison's strengths align nicely with newly minted defensive coordinator Mike Pettine's system. Morrison seemingly has positioned himself to make a strong case for a roster spot with 53-man cuts looming in the near distance. Even if he makes the team, however, it's likely Morrison will be of most service on special teams.

He did make the team as Left inside LB.  #2 spot.

Leonard, Skai Moore and Hooker will make it a no fly zone in pass defense coverages. That is A LOT of speed, athleticism, length and most importantly instincts......add in a Quincy Wilson and I really think we won't be as bad as people think!

If our young guys get ANY pressure on the QB it'll be like the good old days with an opportunistic defense.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Scott Pennock said:

Leonard, Skai Moore and Hooker will make it a no fly zone in pass defense coverages. That is A LOT of speed, athleticism, length and most importantly instincts......add in a Quincy Wilson and I really think we won't be as bad as people think!

If our young guys get ANY pressure on the QB it'll be like the good old days with an opportunistic defense.

That and if Luck forces teams to throw by putting up lots of points

• Like 1

Good news and I appreciate the post.

With Hooker and Leonard , it looks like we have at least two legitimate building blocks on defense. 

Hopefully, a few other of Ballard's picks eventually show the ability to join that group. Wilson, Turay and Lewis being the most obvious examples.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Trueman said:

Good news and I appreciate the post.

With Hooker and Leonard , it looks like we have at least two legitimate building blocks on defense. 

Hopefully, a few other of Ballard's picks eventually show the ability to join that group. Wilson, Turay and Lewis being the most obvious examples.

We need a player on the DL to be one of our building blocks on  D as well. And I’d say we need a great corner also. 

• Like 1

Just now, BProland85 said:

We need a player on the DL to be one of our building blocks on  D as well. And I’d say we need a great corner also. 

Ideally, a great 3- technique, imo. Pressure up the middle is crucial , and even more so in our scheme. It seems like the upcoming draft is absolutely loaded with DL talent , so I'm hoping the stars align for us and we get a great DE or DT.

As for a great corner , it's not as crucial, but if we have one , it's obviously better. I like Hairston, but I wouldn't classify him as a building block. It's really up to Wilson, imo. It looks like he has the tools , hopefully he can take the next step.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Agreed on corner......Hayden and Jackson were perfect for this defense and were more or less average. Play press man, drop into thier zone and tackle soundly - which they did well.

However, get a Pro Bowl ballhawker like a Peanut Tillman or a Ronde Barber added in the mix then things get REALLY interesting!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

... but but, this defense doesn't have any talent according to many fans on here.

I agree and am excited to watch his growth this season. He should cause some headaches this year for offenses. We have a few for real playmakers on this defense, and possibly more that we don't know about yet. 

We’re talking about rookies and unproven players. Leonard should be very good. However, he hasn’t played a regular season game yet. So that basically leaves us with Hooker and Sheard as proven talents on defense. Maybe Geathers but he’s gotta stay healthy. The idea that the defense lacks talent isn’t far fetched. Let’s see what the young guys do and re visit this at the end of the season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Trueman said:

Ideally, a great 3- technique, imo. Pressure up the middle is crucial , and even more so in our scheme. It seems like the upcoming draft is absolutely loaded with DL talent , so I'm hoping the stars align for us and we get a great DE or DT.

As for a great corner , it's not as crucial, but if we have one , it's obviously better. I like Hairston, but I wouldn't classify him as a building block. It's really up to Wilson, imo. It looks like he has the tools , hopefully he can take the next step.

I totally agree with the 3 technique. A very key position for running the Tampa two defense

Thanks for a nice write-up from @Lawrence Owens...

My review is admittedly based on a much smaller sample size...   only the first two games against Seattle and Baltimore.

I think Darius Leonard is the Poster Child of exactly what Chris Ballard and Matt Eberflus are  looking for in a linebacker.  

From my limited viewing Leonard appears explosive,  athletic,  twitchy.     He's light on his feet,  and can change direction easily.    He seems to move with a purpose and brings hostile intentions to anyone near the ball.    Leonard is a beautiful looking football player to watch.    

Now imagine a few more like him on a Colts defense and you beging to see the possibilities of what we're trying to build.    People have questioned his competition level in college.

But Ballard has been quick to point out,  that the week at the Senior Bowl sold him and his staff.  That Leonard looked right at home playing against guys from the Big Schools.     Given health,  I think this pick is a home run.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, ColtsBlitz said:

I’d say Ridgeway is well on his way to showing us that

I think between Ridgeway, Tyquan Lewis, and Autry we are good at 3 tech. I don't expect major moves at that spot in the draft. Could be wrong. I could see us taking an extra DE though.

• Like 1

Love Leonard and I've also really liked Matthew Adams and Zaire Franklin. Adams had a really nice pass break up in zone coverage in the Cincy game that I really thought showed off his speed. That PBU prevented a touchdown. Ive been impressed with Franklin's tackling, toughness and awareness.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Lawrence Owen said:

Packers' Antonio Morrison: Making strong case for roster spot

by RotoWire Staff | RotoWire

Morrison, who has been impressive throughout training camp, has a chance to make the 53-man roster, Wes Hodkiewicz of the team's official site reports.

According to the report, Morrison's strengths align nicely with newly minted defensive coordinator Mike Pettine's system. Morrison seemingly has positioned himself to make a strong case for a roster spot with 53-man cuts looming in the near distance. Even if he makes the team, however, it's likely Morrison will be of most service on special teams.

He did make the team as Left inside LB.  #2 spot.

If LB Antonio Morrison turns  into Jerry Hughes for the Packers, our coaches need “coaching”. 

1 hour ago, Jaredfor3 said:

If LB Antonio Morrison turns  into Jerry Hughes for the Packers, our coaches need “coaching”. 

The Packers run a 3-4 defense, where there is a role for a thumper off ball LB. In the Colts's new system, there isn't. The Colts lost more talented guys than Morrison due to this schematic change (Anderson, Hankins for example). 

This is the price the Colts had to pay after the Grigson/Pagano era. It's  hefty price, because in addition to the bad drafts and failures in FA, they loose good players because their talent can't be maximalized in the new system. 

I hope this new regime will last for a LOONG time. If not, we might find ourselves on the Browns path...

3 hours ago, krunk said:

I think between Ridgeway, Tyquan Lewis, and Autry we are good at 3 tech. I don't expect major moves at that spot in the draft. Could be wrong. I could see us taking an extra DE though.

It stinks Lewis is injured there was a buzz starting in camp about him getting after the QB at 3 tech.  I am ready to see these guys go on Sundays.  I wish Q would figure things out IDK if I've mentioned I like Turay a little 

Do we know how close Walker is to being ready? 

1 hour ago, akcolt said:

It stinks Lewis is injured there was a buzz starting in camp about him getting after the QB at 3 tech.  I am ready to see these guys go on Sundays.  I wish Q would figure things out IDK if I've mentioned I like Turay a little 

Do we know how close Walker is to being ready? 

I think Walker is ready. Will check again though.

7 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

We’re talking about rookies and unproven players. Leonard should be very good. However, he hasn’t played a regular season game yet. So that basically leaves us with Hooker and Sheard as proven talents on defense. Maybe Geathers but he’s gotta stay healthy. The idea that the defense lacks talent isn’t far fetched. Let’s see what the young guys do and re visit this at the end of the season.

I agree 100% that we should hold off saying there is no talent on this team for a while... You are correct that they are unproven and rookie players. But that does not equate to talentless. Quenton Nelson is a rookie and unproven, but can we agree he is a true talent?... there are some talented guys on this defense. Don't lose sight of that. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

THIS.

People don't realize it but the young studs are starting to appear on this defense.  Something I haven't been able to say for a while.  Like you said, once we get some guys in the trenches that can get pressure, it will make things that much better.

Nice write-up

I was excited to see the "near interceptions" He will learn to grab those in the future.

This will be an interesting defense......

Lots of speed........  SOME of it will be in the right direction

Mid year, this may come together to something special

The first 4-6 games may be ugliness, while we get this figured out

5 hours ago, krunk said:

Love Leonard and I've also really liked Matthew Adams and Zaire Franklin. Adams had a really nice pass break up in zone coverage in the Cincy game that I really thought showed off his speed. That PBU prevented a touchdown. Ive been impressed with Franklin's tackling, toughness and awareness.

Adams had a real nice one against Seattle too. Near tip drill pick to the safety

4 hours ago, krunk said:

I think Najee good will be the starter at SAM. But it wouldn't surprise me to see Matthew Adams beat him out at some point. I'd like to see Adams, Walker, and Leonard as the starting 3 at some point.

I like Walker, I hear a lot about his leadership and football smarts. Hopefully he can show some good ability to play as well. 

• Like 1

Yeah, I came away from the draft most excited to watch Leonard play in a Colts uniform, was easily my favorite pick.

I'm still pretty astonished by his instincts for a rookie, that was the first thing that immediately stood out on tape. And with that change of direction/quickness and length? I think he'll be giving opponent coaches/QB's fits in the pass game. 

I liked what I saw in Autry and Ridgeway. I thought Desir was solid.  A healthy Geathers and Hooker will make a difference. 

The biggest challenge is inexperience so, I’m expecting some rookie mistakes. But the Colts have some potential playmakers at every level. I’m hoping for a good season!

GO COLTS !!!!