Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

DL Tyquan Lewis set to miss time [Merge]

MTC

3 hours ago, MTC said:

A possible candidate to be placed on IR with a designation to return. 

5 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

that will probably change by the deadline

way too soon to even think about using it on lewis 

13 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

i thought we only get one or two return designations 

lewis may not be worth one 

So i just looked it up, there is no more designating a player at the time of IR for return when being placed on IR. This is from June 2017, 

"Last year, the NFL changed the IR with return designation so that you no longer have to designate the player who will get the designation at the time they are placed on the list. Now, teams can bring back any two players they've placed on IR at any time after the eight week mandate to be on the list has been met."

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

i thought we only get one or two return designations 

lewis may not be worth one 

I thought they did away with the requirement to specify a return designation, with anybody on IR being eligible to return, but that only two can return.  Pre-designation not required.  I may be mistaken, though, but I seem to recall hearing something about this last year.

Edit:  Oops, csmopar beat me to this post.

Edit 2:  Oops, Princeton Tiger beat both csmopar and me to this. ;)

3 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

I thought they did away with the requirement to specify a return designation, with anybody on IR being eligible to return, but that only two can return.  Pre-designation not required.  I may be mistaken, though, but I seem to recall hearing something about this last year.

Edit:  Oops, csmopar beat me to this post.

Thanks for the overlook :thmup:

@csmopar and I posted at the same time mine is on page 1

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I would see if we can trade for Shane Ray at this point if he's willing to sign a new contract. We can't buy or draft a d-line. Maybe we can trade for one lol. I'm just going through the motions at this point with this draft class. Getting worse by the day. Just wish the season would start.

That’s a novel idea. Since we seem to be cursed with injuries to free agents and draft picks, let's trade and see what happens. 

6 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Thanks for the overlook :thmup:

@csmopar and I posted at the same time mine is on page 1

Doh, sorry.  I was part way through page one when I posted, which then took me to page two.  Started scrolling up and then saw csmopar's post, thus missing your page one post.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MacDee1975 said:

Who cares why they aren't contributing.  Point is, he drafts people in the early round who can't contribute.

Um, it's actually a very important distinction.  Injuries cannot be controlled.  Now, if Lewis had an extensive injury history in college then that would have been a red flag and reason to avoid drafting him.  I honestly don't know if that were the case or not but I'd think that Ballard would not have traded up to get Lewis if that were the case.

3 hours ago, DougDew said:

Please.  Nearly everybody considers Khaled Holmes and Hugh Thornton to be whiffs, and they were always injured.  And Mewhort now often gets put inot the "draft failure" bucket because injuries kept him off the field.  

Not to mention the Gosder Cherilous signing and Polian's Anthony Gonzalez pick.

Its part of the game, but appears to be selectively applied.

But they did play and when they did, they played poorly.

2 hours ago, Pacergeek said:

Ballard has successfully sold his vision to the fans, that the best way to build a future winner is through the draft. When you are going in this direction, not even trying to fill holes with FA, you cannot draft busts or injury prone players in the early rounds. 

Was Lewis an injury prone player in college?

7 minutes ago, J@son said:

Um, it's actually a very important distinction.  Injuries cannot be controlled.  Now, if Lewis had an extensive injury history in college then that would have been a red flag and reason to avoid drafting him.  I honestly don't know if that were the case or not but I'd think that Ballard would not have traded up to get Lewis if that were the case.

But they did play and when they did, they played poorly.

Neither played much their rookie year.  After their injuries, who's to say what the cause of the play was.  I think Thornton actually was rumored to drink too much. Who figured on that?  

Sometimes injuries cause draft whiffs.  Whatever the cause, players that don't play get put into the whiff bucket.

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

Neither played much their rookie year.  After their injuries, who's to say what the cause of the play was.  I think Thornton actually was rumored to drink too much. Who figured on that?  

Sometimes injuries cause draft whiffs.  Whatever the cause, players that don't play get put into the whiff bucket.

No

4 minutes ago, DougDew said:

And that's fine...some of those whiffs can be blamed on the GM, but others cannot.  If a player was not injury prone in college, but then gets injured every other week in the pros...there's no way anyone could have foreseen that so I don't put any blame on the GM for that.

**edit..my bad, i just looked back through the thread and you didn't say you put the blame on Ballard..you were just questioning the notion of injured players counting as whiffs. :)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, J@son said:

And that's fine...some of those whiffs can be blamed on the GM, but others cannot.  If a player was not injury prone in college, but then gets injured every other week in the pros...there's no way anyone could have foreseen that so I don't put any blame on the GM for that.

ala Trev Alberts and Steve Entmann

Just now, PrincetonTiger said:

No

Absolutely, people do it all the time.  Out of convenience and validation mainly. 

Just like despite signing AC to a big contract, Cherilous to a contract, drafting Holmes and Thornton, and Mewort, the Colts get labeled as not adequately addressing the O line over the years, despite the facts getting in the way.

We can do the same for the oline this year, the d backfield, or pass rush, or maybe the entire roster, if its convenient.

6 minutes ago, J@son said:

**edit..my bad, i just looked back through the thread and you didn't say you put the blame on Ballard..you were just questioning the notion of injured players counting as whiffs. :)

I think the statement that started this was from PacerGeek.  

Was Lewis injury prone in college? This is disappointing. If you are going to put all of your eggs into the draft basket, you cannot continue whiffing on high draft picks.

I guess that could be taken as a shot at Ballard. 

But it seems more like a simply true statement to me, since hardly any cap space was spent.  And where it was spent, it was for Autry, who plays nearly the same position (interior pass rush) as the guy we traded up for and is now injured.  

If simply bringing up facts is considered a shot, well, that's a problem.

Yeah that statement started it and wasn't all that bad, but his subsequent posts were much more targeted towards Ballard's drafting ability.

• Like 1

Was Lewis injury prone in college? This is disappointing. If you are going to put all of your eggs into the draft basket, you cannot continue whiffing on high draft picks.

But it seems more like a simply true statement to me, since hardly any cap space was spent.  And where it was spent, it was for Autry, who plays nearly the same position (interior pass rush) as the guy we traded up for and is now injured.  

Calling what pacergeek posts "facts" is amusing

• Thanks 1

Just now, Cynjin said:

Calling what pacergeek posts "facts" is amusing

He posted what I copied in Italics.  I thought it was factual and very reasonable.  I think 1959 Colt basically said the same thing, except he said "doesn't get on the field" and Geek said "whiff".  The substance of the problem is the same to me.  

25 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Absolutely, people do it all the time.  Out of convenience and validation mainly. 

Just like despite signing AC to a big contract, Cherilous to a contract, drafting Holmes and Thornton, and Mewort, the Colts get labeled as not adequately addressing the O line over the years, despite the facts getting in the way.

We can do the same for the oline this year, the d backfield, or pass rush, or maybe the entire roster, if its convenient.

People do not take the time to do a little work 

He posted what I copied in Italics.  I thought it was factual and very reasonable.  I think 1959 Colt basically said the same thing, except he said "doesn't get on the field" and Geek said "whiff".  The substance of the problem is the same to me.  

To you not to everyone definitely not to Tigertown 

10 minutes ago, DougDew said:

So, I guess he didn’t put all of his eggs into one basket then. Correct?

7 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Here is a fact for you and pacergeek.  Neither of you have any clue whether Lewis is a "whiff" or not, he has not even played a game yet in the NFL.  Why don't the two of you try withholding judgement until these rookies have played a couple of years.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Your comment on Thornton is unnecessary.  Even if factual, which highly suspect you have no clue on its validity, it's something that does not need to be repeated.  

• Thanks 1

Blaming Ballard about not forecasting injuries is like screaming at your local tv weather guy "Hey you make it stop raining ". NOTE THIS >>>>I just went on NFL Website transaction page about players (sadly ) waived due to injury for entire NFL month of August 2018 236 players (just waived players ) made the list. http://www.nfl.com/transactions?transactionMonth=7&transactionYear=2018&transactionTeamAbbr=…… NOTE THIS >>>>>Went on Spotrac NFL IR list …. shows 102 players presently on IR in NFL https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/injured-reserve/ PLAYERS GET HURT ALL OVER THIS LEAGUE YEAR IN YEAR OUT. But I guess I better tell my weatherman to make it stop raining...…..GO BALLARD...… GO 2018 COLTS !!!!! 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Pacergeek said:

Ballard has successfully sold his vision to the fans, that the best way to build a future winner is through the draft. When you are going in this direction, not even trying to fill holes with FA, you cannot draft busts or injury prone players in the early rounds. 

I would still say the same thing.  Regardless of whether you are drafting or going into FA, busts are a problem.  And FAs bust all of the time.  So if Ballard went out and got a bunch of FAs would you be happy, even if they didn't meet expectations?

My last comment.  Relax and let this play out for a couple of more years before we send Ballard to the chopping block.

2 hours ago, Cynjin said:

Here is a fact for you and pacergeek.  Neither of you have any clue whether Lewis is a "whiff" or not, he has not even played a game yet in the NFL.  Why don't the two of you try withholding judgement until these rookies have played a couple of years.

Amen.

• Thanks 1