Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Hines Was A Definite Miss.....

Shadow_Creek

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

My biggest turnoff for an RB is fumbling, and Hines has it in spades. That'll get you cut quicker than anything, and it costs us games if it happens in the regular season. It's hard to fix as well. If he does fix it, then we have to hope he becomes a good RB, so there's two obstacles to overcome.

The RB position is the easiest position to learn. There are always RBs available.

When the O-Line learns to play together the RB position will be just fine. Till that happens we don't have a clue as to how good the RB's are.

It’s not time to throw in the towel just yet. It is concerning that a rookie RB is struggling the way he has. He was drafted to basically be a returner and field punts and he can’t even hold onto the ball. There’s no way they’re going to trust him rushing or catching the ball now.

I don’t think it’s time to cut him but he’s going to lose snaps and see a reduced role I would guess.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

When we are used to Grigson missing on 9/10 of his picks, the frustration builds up when players look like busts before the season start, so yes, we are losing our minds, lol. It's the nature of being an NFL fan. 

Also, show me somewhere where they announce it on tv or somewhere else in the media that teams don't gameplan for the preseason. Most people don't realize that until they are told so. Common sense says you would have a gameplan going into a game, whether it's preseason or not, to prepare the team for the real thing come the regular season. You didn't know it coming out of the womb either. 

Ask 10 fans next time you go to a game, and more people than not will not realize that teams don't gameplan for preseason. You want to talk about irrelevant, that's irrelevant for a fan to know.

I mean it’s hard to avoid any sort of write up about preseason game that doesn’t reference how “vanilla” the game planning was. But ok I can see how a “casual” fan might not realise they’re seeing generic play calling.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

When we are used to Grigson missing on 9/10 of his picks, the frustration builds up when players look like busts before the season start, so yes, we are losing our minds, lol. It's the nature of being an NFL fan. 

Also, show me somewhere where they announce it on tv or somewhere else in the media that teams don't gameplan for the preseason. Most people don't realize that until they are told so. Common sense says you would have a gameplan going into a game, whether it's preseason or not, to prepare the team for the real thing come the regular season. You didn't know it coming out of the womb either. 

Ask 10 fans next time you go to a game, and more people than not will not realize that teams don't gameplan for preseason. You want to talk about irrelevant, that's irrelevant for a fan to know.

its mentioned in every pre-game, during the game and even most articles when talking about the preseason.  You'd have to live under a rock to NOT know the preseason isn't game planned for.  

• Like 3

Anybody remember Tiki Barber and his fumbling issues? An average of 9 fumbles per year for four years. Then Coughlin comes in and lets him know if he can't hold onto the football he doesn't play. Barber says he learned how to hold the football by carrying one around all day every day in the mode necessary to keep from fumbling: hand shoulder height; elbow at 45 degrees; points of football touching armpit and palm of hand with ball hard against the forearm; bringing other hand over to his ball carrying hand's wrist when about to be hit to strengthen the protection of the ball at contact. 

What happenned? He became a Pro Bowl RB; led the league in rushing for several years; and didn't fumble any more. The Giants didn't give up on him, but they also gave him the recipe for success, and he took it to the bank. 

Hines has to go through this now in order to overcome his fumbling; as some have said, he's very young with lots of potential but has lost his confidence. The question is will the Colts be patient with him by giving him a chance to learn how to protect the ball or cut him and risk losing him to another team? I'm as frustrated as the next fan, but in retrospect, I'd keep him because he's likely gone if exposed to waivers. For a team lacking difference makers, he could become one for the Colts with time. 

• Thanks 5

20 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

I mean it’s hard to avoid any sort of write up about preseason game that doesn’t reference how “vanilla” the game planning was. But ok I can see how a “casual” fan might not realise they’re seeing generic play calling.

When the majority of other teams are scoring at will with their 1st team offense on "vanilla play calling", it's hard to realize that's what it is. It more just looks like incompetence on our part.

I stated my view on Hines in the "Is he our Dion Lewis" thread and that hasn't changed.  That said, Hines' one strength is his speed, and so far we haven't seen him used in a way that we can see his speed.  I predicted he wouldn't be shifty enough in the backfield to create open space for himself, but if the O-line gels or Luck gets him the ball in open space, he can still be a weapon.  Deep breaths everyone....this is still pre-season.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

he could be in trouble since he was drafted as a return man and he doesnt have the hands for it

he didnt look very good at running back either 

Hines was NOT drafted as a return man.  At NC State Hines was a part time punt returner his senior season only.

He was drafted as a change of pace/3rd down back.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Hines was NOT drafted as a return man.

i think he was, thats why they put him there in those preseason games

he was supposed to be a return man first, and a third or forth running back second imo 

he has not been any good at running back either 

3 hours ago, Shadow_Creek said:

I gave Hines a pass after the first game because maybe it was just jitters he had which can be understandable playing in your fist NFL game, bright lights, being on the big stage, i mean it could cause anyone to freeze or even fumble a few times like he did. However after these last two games it is clear CB missed when he selected Hines which is kind of disappointing since he has lots of speed and looked like a mismatch from his college film. Now i did read an article stating that Hines had seven fumbles during his college career which sounds a little red flagish but could have easily been coached out of him. Although i fear the hand writing is on the wall and he most definitely wont last on this team. So i really hope CB is able to draft Bryce love in next years draft or find a more decent back to complement Mack and Turbin.

Seems to me that not letting him return punts or kickoffs would alleviate a lot of his fumbling issues.

2 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

he was supposed to be a return man first, and a third or forth running back second imo 

Well, here is what Ballard said about him after the draft  Nothing about returner... just what they can do with him in the offense.

here's another one, now this one does say" he's a returner" but the rest of the paragraph is what he can do in the offense.

The reason they put him in there in the preseason games is to see if his quickness and explosive will help in the return game.  His bobbles in punt returns has made that a no, but he is still the primary kick returner.

10 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

No to the draf part and he hasn’t run much with the ones 

58 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

When the majority of other teams are scoring at will with their 1st team offense on "vanilla play calling", it's hard to realize that's what it is. It more just looks like incompetence on our part.

We've given up 23 points total in the first half of 3 games. That's a little over 7 points a half. Scoring at will?? We've scored 26 points in the first half of those same games. I guess we are scoring at will also.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

So because it's preseason, it doesn't mean he hasn't fumbled all these times? Poof, it magically disappears? He has major fumbling issues at the very least, preseason or not. That's a major reason to be concerned right there. That's not even counting his normal play, which hasn't been good either.

All these years and you’ve learned....  nothing.    

To mix metaphors, this was a layup and you shot an air ball.....   come on.

:facepalm:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Not sure if giving up 10, 20, & 17 points so far in the 3 preseason games qualifies as "scoring at will" for opposing offenses. Holding a Jimmy G led offense with Kyle Shanahan calling plays to only 6 points in the 1st half of Saturday's game with a completion percentage of less than 50 should warrant some optimism in my opinion.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Well, here is what Ballard said about him after the draft  Nothing about returner... just what they can do with him in the offense.

here's another one, now this one does say" he's a returner" but the rest of the paragraph is what he can do in the offense.

The reason they put him in there in the preseason games is to see if his quickness and explosive will help in the return game.  His bobbles in punt returns has made that a no, but he is still the primary kick returner.

guess im wrong then

he looked horrible at running back too, so hopefully the whole "get him the ball in space" thing pans out

Just now, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Not sure if giving up 10, 20, & 17 points so far in the 3 preseason games qualifies as "scoring at will" for opposing offenses. Holding a Jimmy G led offense with Kyle Shanahan calling plays to only 6 points in the 1st half of Saturday's game with a completion percentage of less than 50 should warrant some optimism in my opinion.

Not to mention a missed 2 point conversion of being 3-0

Just now, Steamboat_Shaun said:

You completely missed my point. I meant other team's offenses are scoring at will against other teams. Not against ours. Which they are. Has nothing to do with our defense.

Oh God.... It’s preseason we still haven’t even seen the packages and different variations Reich has planned for Hines with this vanilla offense as of right now. Which personality I think he’ll shine in... Has to fix the fumbling yes and I’ve seen improvement with his ball handling as the games went on and Reich never lost faith in him and kept in the games... I do think there’s upside with Hines for sure.

Fist, just a side note: I love how we can evaluate Q. Nelson, Leonard and Skai Moore to be good players based on how good they've looked during the preseason. However, "It's just preseason" when Hines has absolutely stunk.

Aside from his fumbling problems, there's this: (From ESPN.com Stats)

"News: Hines had five carries for zero yards and lost one yard on his only reception in Saturday's preseason win over San Francisco. (Sun Aug 26)

Hines drew a lot of praise in minicamp and in training camp with the coaching staff saying they had plans to use him in the backfield, in the slot and out wide. However, he's had a poor preseason as he has eight carries for 19 yards and one reception for nine yards in three games. Perhaps the Colts were being coy about his usage in the preseason, but Hines seems to have fallen behind fellow rookie Jordan Wilkins, with little reason to expect a significant role early in the season."

So far in 3 preseason games, he's clearly demonstrated that he cannot be a return man; he's running less than 2.38 YPC, and only has 2 catches for a total of 8 yards.

http://www.nfl.com/player/nyheimhines/2560742/profile

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Not to mention a missed 2 point conversion of being 3-0

Right? For all the griping I see about this team from Colts fans, Tennessee is 0-3, have looked absolutely terrible, & a lot of people expect them to compete for the division. Jacksonville's WR situation might actually be worse than ours now that they've lost Marquise Lee for the season, & Houston is a gigantic question mark. I really don't get why everyone's so worried.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Shadow_Creek said:

I gave Hines a pass after the first game because maybe it was just jitters he had which can be understandable playing in your fist NFL game, bright lights, being on the big stage, i mean it could cause anyone to freeze or even fumble a few times like he did. However after these last two games it is clear CB missed when he selected Hines which is kind of disappointing since he has lots of speed and looked like a mismatch from his college film. Now i did read an article stating that Hines had seven fumbles during his college career which sounds a little red flagish but could have easily been coached out of him. Although i fear the hand writing is on the wall and he most definitely wont last on this team. So i really hope CB is able to draft Bryce love in next years draft or find a more decent back to complement Mack and Turbin.

I’m late to this party, but having read through the thread the vast majority of posters have said the same thing....

It’s way too early to give up on Hines.   Way too soon.    One poster wisely noted the story of Tikki Barber who had a terrible fumbling problem for years,  not just a few ore-season games.   He turned out alright.

Another rookie who had a terrible problem was Jerry Rice.   Obviously not a running back, but he led all receivers his first year in drops.   He turned alright as well.

Look...    maybe you’re right.   Maybe Hines won’t fix his problem.   But the odds are he’ll get better.   Most young players do.   Young players get better.

No need to panic.    No need to cut a rookie.   At least not yet.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

You completely missed my point. I meant other team's offenses are scoring at will against other teams. Not against ours. Which they are. Has nothing to do with our defense.

With the exception of Indy, Det, Chi, and Tenn. the coaching staffs are established and with Chicago Nagy brought in QBs that know the system

3 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

With the exception of Indy, Det, Chi, and Tenn. the coaching staffs are established and with Chicago Nagy brought in QBs that know the system

Which of course doesn't always mean they will enjoy preseason success. I dread to think what the Philly boards are like..

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I’m late to this party, but having read through the thread the vast majority of posters have said the same thing....

It’s way too early to give up on Hines.   Way too soon.    One poster wisely noted the story of Tikki Barber who had a terrible fumbling problem for years,  not just a few ore-season games.   He turned out alright.

Another rookie who had a terrible problem was Jerry Rice.   Obviously not a running back, but he led all receivers his first year in drops.   He turned alright as well.

Look...    maybe you’re right.   Maybe Hines won’t fix his problem.   But the odds are he’ll get better.   Most young players do.   Young players get better.

No need to panic.    No need to cut a rookie.   At least not yet.

barber and rice were top prospects while hines is a 4th rounder 

im not saying cut him yet, but he probably needs to show something soon