Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Should Trade for Khalil Mack (UPDATE: traded to Chicago)

Luck2Hilton4TD

34 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

What big name big money free agent did Polian bring in.   How about Belichick? How about Pete Carroll?

Bill Polian - Corey Simon  (fail)

Bill Belichick - Mike Vrabel, or Rodney Harrison (unknown then)

Pete Carroll - Michael Bennett, possibly Cliff Avril (not massive names...)

Right?

Wonder if the Raiders would have any interest in a deal like this:

Mack

Bashem

2019 1st

2020 3rd

Or 

Mack

Sheard

2019 1st

Could see them want a young guy, but I could also see them want a vet to replace him if they are trying to compete this year.

1 hour ago, Btown_Colt said:

Just a quick question.

If Mack was traded, does the new team HAVE to give a new contract this year? Could they not let him play out the final year of his rookie contract, and then tag him a couple years, just like the Raiders can/may do?

Yes,  a new team could do that?

But why would they?

Why trade a boat load of assets (picks/players) to get Mack only to screw with him for 3 years.

And accomplish what,  exactly?

If you're making a major trade, it is with the intent of signing him to a long-term deal.

• Thanks 1

Here is a story from NFL.com....

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000957552/article/chances-of-khalil-mack-being-traded-very-real

Says it's believed the Raiders are talking to 4 or 5 teams,  but only lists 3...

The Packers (who have an extra 1st R pick next year)  the Jets and the Browns.    Still leaves one or two other teams,  so one of them could be the Colts.

37 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yes,  a new team could do that?

But why would they?

Why trade a boat load of assets (picks/players) to get Mack only to screw with him for 3 years.

And accomplish what,  exactly?

If you're making a major trade, it is with the intent of signing him to a long-term deal.

Exactly if you don't want to pay him why make the trade. It would be something if he ended up in Cleveland with the young pass rushers already there. They could lose Orchard in cuts tomorrow. The Browns are a team I'd like to see be relevant again. They were a fun bunch to watch back in the Dog Pound days showering the opposition with milk bones.  They managed to get a keg into a game concealed in a dog house you gotta love that.  Those were the days. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Bill Polian - Corey Simon  (fail)

Bill Belichick - Mike Vrabel, or Rodney Harrison (unknown then)

Pete Carroll - Michael Bennett, possibly Cliff Avril (not massive names...)

Right?

Vrabel wasn'r really big name, big money guy. Even moreso than Harrison who was coming off a Pro Bowl season when NE signed him. Adalius Thomas was though. And Stephon Gilmore, Darrelle Revis.

Carroll had Zach Miller and Sidney Rice.

Looking at this from a long term perspective, I think that a trade for Mack makes sense.  We have the immediate cap with no major resigning in the near future.  We have extra draft capital. We also have things that the raiders want. Mack will still be good during our supposed window and will still have financial maneuverability if we add him. 

Brisset (backup qb that Oakland wants)

Simon (gruden wants vets and old school baller types.  Simon fits)

1st and a conditional 2nd with the 2nd being whichever is later

That is a lot to give up but to us we are essentially just missing a 1st from a normal draft,  a backup qb (I like what walker has shown), and the guy Mack is replacing.  Oakland gets the value they want and I think it's enough to get a deal done. 

2 hours ago, Finball said:

Vrabel wasn'r really big name, big money guy. Even moreso than Harrison who was coming off a Pro Bowl season when NE signed him. Adalius Thomas was though. And Stephon Gilmore, Darrelle Revis.

Carroll had Zach Miller and Sidney Rice.

All very true, but my point is I was just showing that these guys made few "Big Name' signings in their careers.  To me Revis was a rental (that the Bucs couldn't trade! so released him), but Thomas is a valid addition.

I wonder if this thread will hit 500 pages, by the time Mack retires?

Its tough for me to get excited

The guy would help... but

To get him, (at least NOW) we will overpay

This team isnt ready for a SB run.......

He is not the missing piece that gets us there (IMHO)...... this year

Let someone else give up the farm, for a single prize cow........

We will be better than last year.......  maybe 20% or so

If we can keep getting a BIT better every year........ We will be ok, and have a LONG time with a playoff quality team..... not 2-3 years up and down

50 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

We wont get him cause Ballard isn't gonna pay the high price tag the raiders are gonna want for him.

Would you trade Quenton Nelson and Malik hooker (and possibly a mid pack addition) for Mack ?

41 minutes ago, Savage21 said:

Khalil Mack is special. He's in his prime, has no major injury history, he's a locker room guy, and a game changer. The Raiders would be stupid to give him up.

Grigson would've traded away his house, wife, and kids for Mack.

Mack is the kind of guy you can see getting paid down the road, and should structure things beforehand so he fits when the time comes.  For the Raiders that time has come.  If they are ready to part with 23 million per year guaranteed for 4 years with a 6 or 7 total year structure, they might land him.  The NFL is a business, and this is the business side. Or they just save money, let him play this year on current contract and then franchise tag him in 2019 and 2020.  Then maybe even use the transition tag on him in 2021 and have rights to match the deal, or let him go.

Raiders have more leverage because of the franchise tag rules.  Just like the owners have more leverage in a CBA lockout.  The young players in the NFL for the next CBA talks are now in high school or just starting college. They don't have money, and won't be in for long holdout positions.  In these high paying days, they are going to be saying-

giphy.gif

8 hours ago, Calmack said:

Can't afford to give away valuable picks when we're still building. 

I just don't get this line of thinking, at least in this instance?

Give up a couple picks when we're still building.

What if the piece you aquire is a major building block? Like, IDK the 2nd most important part of that said building. Top tier pass rusher(huge need) and would be main foundation piece on your Defense(building). 

Mack is still young and fits the "time frame" of what we want to build.

No one we get with a pick next year is going to give us more production than Mack in the next few years. I suppose there is a small chance, but lets be real, not very good chances. We already have extra draft capital with a guy who can bring us a good haul at any moment(JB). All kinds of cap space, to front load the contract the next couple years. Right player right time. 

Mack is a great player, no issues on or off the field. Yeah he is holding out now, but you can see why he is doing it, with what everyone is talking about on his option/tags over next 3 years.

I'm fine whether we get him or not. It sure would be nice, and we are in great position to do it. 

• 21isSuperman changed the title to Colts Should Trade for Khalil Mack (UPDATE: traded to Chicago)