Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Upset With Irsay [Merge]

manningstheman

Jim Irsay has said over and over again that if Peyton is healthy he will be a Colt. Then he said money was not a factor. Then he says its up to Peyton if he wants to play.

This afternoon, we will see the real Jim Irsay. Letting go of the soon to be HOF QB even though Peyton said he wanted to come back.

Although I can understand why this happened. I can not stand the fact that he stood in front of camera's, talked to media, and even tweeted about how much he wanted Peyton back. But, in the end, it sounds like he knew all along he was getting rid of him. It is reported that Irsay says its not about money, or health, or Peyton wanting to come back. It is that he wants to rebuild the team. So, he should have been a man and said that from the beginning.

I respected Jim, now I think its fair to say we are all just *s in his opinion. He can lie to us, and we will all just accept it. And, us loyal Colts fan will. Its just a sad sad situation.

• Replies 568
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The last time he went on record as saying explicitly "If he's healthy, he's a Colt" was early December (so I've been told). A lot, a heck of a lot, can happen in 3 months, it's not lying, it's perspective change.

You're making a judgement before we've heard the whole situation. Wait until the press conference.

And, uh, didn't Manning say he wanted to retire a Colt? Now if he finds a new team, will you call him a liar and say he treats us like *s?

Didn't think so.

Peyton was never an option. Once he had Luck he knew that is what he wanted.

For those who think Luck isn't the reason Peyton isn't going to be a Colt are wrong.

Once he had Luck he had no use for Peyton.

i just don't want anyone to crucify andrew over all of this. he had nothing to do with it.

Jim Irsay has said over and over again that if Peyton is healthy he will be a Colt. Then he said money was not a factor. Then he says its up to Peyton if he wants to play.

This afternoon, we will see the real Jim Irsay. Letting go of the soon to be HOF QB even though Peyton said he wanted to come back.

Although I can understand why this happened. I can not stand the fact that he stood in front of camera's, talked to media, and even tweeted about how much he wanted Peyton back. But, in the end, it sounds like he knew all along he was getting rid of him. It is reported that Irsay says its not about money, or health, or Peyton wanting to come back. It is that he wants to rebuild the team. So, he should have been a man and said that from the beginning.

I respected Jim, now I think its fair to say we are all just *s in his opinion. He can lie to us, and we will all just accept it. And, us loyal Colts fan will. Its just a sad sad situation.

he was hoping peyton would retire,but peyton would not buy into that crap. then irsay had to try to save face.... it's a business but this is a sad time for us hard core Colts' fans

i just don't want anyone to crucify andrew over all of this. he had nothing to do with it.

I won't be. I want him to be the best QB to enter the league.

No, you're wrong.

No, I'm right. Irsay signed a contract because he wanted Peyton. He no longer wants Peyton because he has Luck. Luck is the reason Peyton became expendable in Irsay's mind. Irsay led on as if he wanted Peyton because he knew how hard it would be to let him go. Doing so made it a lot worse though. Everything Irsay wanted Peyton showed. He never stood by his story.

The last time he went on record as saying explicitly "If he's healthy, he's a Colt" was early December (so I've been told). A lot, a heck of a lot, can happen in 3 months, it's not lying, it's perspective change.

You're making a judgement before we've heard the whole situation. Wait until the press conference.

And, uh, didn't Manning say he wanted to retire a Colt? Now if he finds a new team, will you call him a liar and say he treats us like *s?

Didn't think so.

That makes no sense. It wasnt up to him to retire a Colt. It was up to Irsay. He said he wanted to stay a Colt. So, even though he is going to be healthy and play this year he should retire? Any way, I was saying Jim kept changing his story, but all with the idea that Peyton would be back. The last thing he said was it was up to Peyton to come back. Now, we are finding out it was never up to him. Irsay wants to rebuild the team. Period. He had to know what he was going to do along time ago then.

So here's a question; what does Luck have, that Irsay loves so much that Peyton does not? What makes Luck the newcomer more desirable from the owner's standpoint than Peyton?

Youth? Health? Cheaper? Pride/ego of finding his own next Manning? That's what I don't get

So here's a question; what does Luck have, that Irsay loves so much that Peyton does not? What makes Luck the newcomer more desirable from the owner's standpoint than Peyton?

Youth? Health? Cheaper? Pride/ego of finding his own next Manning? That's what I don't get

He see's money. Nothing wrong with that. He see's a chance to rebuild the team right now with alot of good picks in the next few seasons. Because we arent winning too much next year. He sees a chance, right now, to only be down a few season then to be down for an extended amount of time after Peyton I think. I understand that. But, since Peyton is healthy, we still have a great draft this year that could do the same for us. He doesnt have to draft a QB. He honestly thinks he can have the same success we have had for the past decade again with Luck.

Fine, I dont agree with him but fine. He just knew what he was going to do when he fired Polian. He should have just manned up and did it then. Not continued to feed everyone a bunch of ^cowpatties^.

Lol, my point was we all lie. Weather it's a big or small lie, we do. No one tells the truth 100% of the time. Anyone who says they do is well, lying. 

I understand man. Just saying there was no reason to extend this out as long as he did if he never entended, and it is sounding like he didnt, to keep Peyton.

All of a sudden I feel like I should tell my kids there really isnt a Santa, Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy, etc. lol.. They might call me a lier.

My biggest issue with how all of this came down was the fact that Irsay has always said that he would keep the fans informed of the situation. Since the combine ended, we have heard nothing new about Manning from Irsay. He continued to post song lyrics and worthless contests on his Twitter. Hey went from saying that he would keep us informed using every available form of 21st century media to shutting us out and making us resort to searching Peyton's name in Google to get the latest stories from around the nation. And how exactly did Chris Mortensen get the scoop to break this story?

Also, I would REALLY like to know what time this news conference will take place.

No offense, but if it's worthless, why are you paying attention to them?

I followed his Twitter feed just like every other Colts fan to hopefully see the message that he was re-signing Peyton. If I wanted to hear lyrics from a song, I would just turn on Pandora and listen to it.

With Irsay...the apple dosen't fall far from the tree. I have been a colts fan since I was 9 or 10, so about 40 years. I can still remember picking up Sports Illustrated and reading about the move out of Baltimore in the middle of the night. I have no problem with the fact that Peyton is on the tail end of his career and you might not want to resign him, but please don't blow smoke about what a family the team is and how important character is and then orchestrate the joke that has been this off season...Irsay seems to have the same problem that trips up a lot of NFL owners...I have owned a team for awhile and now I am the only one fit to judge talent and I will answer to no one. I have followed the Colts a lot of years, some good, some bad...but I am not sure if I will any more. I don't buy all the hype on Luck and we could easly be headed back to the years of rotating coaches and rotating QB's...it seems like many fans think Luck is the 2nd coming of Unitas...but be renimded...the NFL landscape is dotted with dozens of can't miss QB prospects....In Irsay we trust...not me...I think he this off season he just sent us hurtling towards years of mediocre football...time will tell....

And i will add this.

Fans have the true loyalty as most of the fans are natives of the city and states.

Jim Irsay is a NOMAD. History speaks. He doesnt care about Indianapolis ( thats the reality ). Like his father, he can go to any city.

And yes, he lied and he is an opportunist.

Fans have the true loyalty as most of the fans are natives of the city and states.

Jim Irsay is a NOMAD. History speaks. He doesnt care about Indianapolis ( thats the reality ). Like his father, he can go to any city.

And yes, he lied and he is an opportunist.

Manning preferred to remain with the Colts, one source said, but a source close to Irsay said the owner concluded that the major restructuring of the organization would include a change at quarterback, likely either former Stanford quarterback Andrew Luck or former Baylor quarterback Robert Griffin III.

One source close to Irsay said the decision was not financially driven, evidenced by the fact

the owner chose not to engage in negotiations to restructure Manning's contract.

http://espn.go.com/n...nning-wednesday

Post of the thread!

But come on now, EVERYONE knew that Irsay was just not going to BLINDLY sign/keep Peyton if he knew that Peyton could not play to his abilities. Regardless of what PM and Irsay has said, WE ALL KNEW IT WAS ABOUT MONEY AND HEALTH! If you did not think that then you were either a Luck fanboy or Peyton fanboy. Who says that Irsay still doesnt want Peyton? Who says Peyton doesn't want to retire a colt? People have to realize that this decision didn't come down to Irsay nor Peyton, it came to Peyton's neck. If you want to get mad, get mad at Peyton's neck for not healing the way it should have by March. Get mad at Polian & crew for putting so much on Peyton's shoulders that Peyton literally could not hold the weight anymore. Get mad at that. Don't get mad because an owner who wants to see his team succeed would not throw $28 mill at a player who is not worth $28 mill. Sorry, that had to be said. Yeah it's harsh but some of us were facing reality ever since last year. Don't fall in love with Peyton because you feel he did everything he could to stay with the Colts. If he TRULY wanted to stay, why didn't he resign for a incentive based deal? Andrew is coming, SO WHAT! This is a business! This happens in the real world TOO! A new young prospect come into work and stays at a position until the older guy retires or leave. THIS HAPPENS! It is unfair to put this blame ONLY on Irsay. I respect Irsay for having the heart to make the tough decision. I have respect for Peyton for the memories and years he gave us, but this was going to happen. People will blame Irsay for everything but Colts fans will actually appreciate both Irsay and PM and will follow PM wherever he goes while still being loyal to our beloved team.

Sorry for the rant. >.<

Thanks Bayone for the link. I woke up with a heavy heart today. Manning is the reason I started following Colts football. He is the reason we came to LOS to watch a game and the reason we travel to Jax every year.

I dont see that happening anymore. Its been a 3 ring circus and a embarrassment to watch from a far the owner of this team..

I can only hope now that Manning and a few others like Wayne and Garcon make their way to south Fla. Manning is the best of the best and still has some great years of football to play yet- maybe the best ever. I had so hoped though it would of been in Indy. Best of luck to this team....

Lol, my point was we all lie. Weather it's a big or small lie, we do. No one tells the truth 100% of the time. Anyone who says they do is well, lying. 

I don't lie... So speak for yourself!!! If luck don't work out and I'm not going to crucify him but I will hate Irsay.

Too bad he chose not to keep Peyton. Have a great QB and bring Luck in and train him up. Like the Farve and Rodgers scenario, this would have been the best one. Peyton is too valuable to let go. Luck could still get hurt, not work out etc. Now we only have Luck and Ohrlovsky? Thin, very thin.

I don't lie... So speak for yourself!!! If luck don't work out and I'm not going to crucify him but I will hate Irsay.

Hate is a very strong word to use towards someone that had the toughest decision he's ever faced. I would bet Irsay hasn't had a good nights sleep since December. This was equivalent to firing ones own son. What if he decided to keep Peyton, trade the pick and next season Peyton sucks or gets put out for good. Now how are you gonna feel when we are stuck with a crappy backup again? Irsay was in a no win situation with the fans no matter what choice he made. Put yourself in his shoes and ponder that for awhile and then come back and tell us if your still going to hate Irsay for his decision. If your a Manning fan than just go follow him where ever his road leads. But if your a true COLTS fan read my signature and live by that!!

Hate is a very strong word to use towards someone that had the toughest decision he's ever faced. I would bet Irsay hasn't had a good nights sleep since December. This was equivalent to firing ones own son. What if he decided to keep Peyton, trade the pick and next season Peyton sucks or gets put out for good. Now how are you gonna feel when we are stuck with a crappy backup again? Irsay was in a no win situation with the fans no matter what choice he made. Put yourself in his shoes and ponder that for awhile and then come back and tell us if your still going to hate Irsay for his decision. If your a Manning fan than just go follow him where ever his road leads. But if your a true COLTS fan read my signature and live by that!!

I think he considered the sake of the organization instead of making popular decision. Wonder how this will turn out at the end.

I also would be happy if PM is retained. As a matter of fact it isn't official yet...

Of course it sucks, sad yes, shocked no. After the firing of all the coaches and staff, it was the only logical choice to make I think, both for Peyton and Irsay. I would imagine both of them are hurting at the moment. It honestly wouldn't surprise me if Peyton had some hand in saying that he wasn't coming back. Anyway, Colts fan before, Colts fan now, and Colts fan in the future. Through thick and thin. Lets just all hope things start to thicken up real soon!

First, if anyone should be vilified by Baltimore fans over the Colts move to Indy in '84, it should be the City of Baltimore. It seems like Bob was kind of a jackanape, so it's easy to blame the whole thing on him, but the City was hours away from claiming the team by eminent domain. Moving was the only way the Irsays could keep what they rightfully owned.

Second, I am unbelievable sick of all the fanboy this and irsay lied about that... It's ALL B.S.

The truth is the situation here is far more complicated that most of you seem to be aware or willing to accept. You want black and white because it makes your world easier to comprehend. The reality is an enormous field of shades of gray.

I think Irsay has been telling the truth that, in an ideal world, he wants Manning to stay and retire here. I think he meant it when he said money was not the issue. Unfortunately, the uncertainty over Manning's neck, coupled with the enormous impact Manning's contract would have on the Colts ability to field anything resembling a decent team around him, negated whatever Irsay would have hoped to do here.

I'm also amused that some of you think Manning deuces roses. If you want to hang Irsay for 'lying', how is it you imagine Manning gets off scott free? Contracts are negotiations. Not Irsay making a decision and Manning agreeing to it. If Manning said he wanted to retire as a Colt, why didn't he make more effort to see that it happened, even if he had to play for the vet minimum?

Probably because the whole situation is far more complicated than our limited perspective allows us to see...

Stop looking for someone to hang. Move on if Manning means more to you than the team, but you don't have to create a villain where there isn't one, just to justify yourselves.

I still love Jim Irsay because he is a philantropist but this decision is the biggest disappointment in my whole life as a sports fan (and if you knew anything about my favourite local soccer club here in Germany you would know how difficult it is to surpass their disappointments). Jim Irsay so often gives the impression of being different. But with this decision he is nothing more like all the average "it's all about business" guys/owners in the world.

So, if Jim Irsay with this decision directly spits in my face that the franchise is all about business then I feel I have got every right to chose my favourite football team according to its current success (so I will have a lot of temporarily favourite teams, Giants and Packers recently) and no longer with my heart. Because success makes for good business - and not emotions. Thank you for nothing, Jim!

I will, of course, always root for the Colts. But if Peyton comes to town with his new team I want him to beat the crap out of the Colts just to show how friggin wrong this decision is.

Ok, I love Peyton just as much as everyone else, but you have to know this was best for both sides.

Peyton will have a chance to go to another team who is only a great QB away from a Super Bowl run.

The Colts have an up in coming QB in Luck and don't want him to sit for years.

As hard as it is to come to terms with it, because it's hard for me, it's the best situation for both parties. In the end there were to many risks to keeping Peyton. Paying him all that money... Is he going to return to his old self? Is he even healthy enough to take a hit? Sit Luck and that might set back his potential?

It's hard to see him go, but in the end it's the right thing to do. Peyton will always be a Colt at heart. In the future he will have a statue of himself in front of LOS.

Thanks for EVERYTHING Peyton and GO COLTS!