Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Upset With Irsay [Merge]

manningstheman

I think you should be more mad at the fact that the Bengals got a 1st and 2nd round pick for a retired Carson Palmer and the Colts get a nice emotional press conference for a healthy Peyton

Anyway some pick would cost 28 M$ against our salary cap.

There was no right decision in this business, I reckon.

• Replies 568
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still love Jim Irsay because he is a philantropist but this decision is the biggest disappointment in my whole life as a sports fan (and if you knew anything about my favourite local soccer club here in Germany you would know how difficult it is to surpass their disappointments). Jim Irsay so often gives the impression of being different. But with this decision he is nothing more like all the average "it's all about business" guys/owners in the world.

So, if Jim Irsay with this decision directly spits in my face that the franchise is all about business then I feel I have got every right to chose my favourite football team according to its current success (so I will have a lot of temporarily favourite teams, Giants and Packers recently) and no longer with my heart. Because success makes for good business - and not emotions. Thank you for nothing, Jim!

I will, of course, always root for the Colts. But if Peyton comes to town with his new team I want him to beat the crap out of the Colts just to show how friggin wrong this decision is.

lmao ... you cannot be a Colts fan and hope a former player beats them. Thats just pathetic. So ole wise one, what decision would you have made sitting in your recliner?

The 4 demands of Irsay (according to Kravitz on Mike&Mike) for Manning to return to the Colts...Manning would not agree to all of these terms.

1. Manning must take less money

2. Manning must mentor Luck

3. Manning must give up 30% of practice snaps

4. Manning would have to compete with Luck for the starting job

I think you should be more mad at the fact that the Bengals got a 1st and 2nd round pick for a retired Carson Palmer and the Colts get a nice emotional press conference for a healthy Peyton

Or that Manning and Condon negotiated a contract that created the above, plus paid him handsomely to be a spectator last year. That dirty rat fink! (tongue firmly in cheek, btw)

The 4 demands of Irsay (according to Kravitz on Mike&Mike) for Manning to return to the Colts...Manning would not agree to all of these terms.

1. Manning must take less money

2. Manning must mentor Luck

3. Manning must give up 30% of practice snaps

4. Manning would have to compete with Luck for the starting job

These seem reasonable to me, if we are building for the future.

Jim Irsay has said over and over again that if Peyton is healthy he will be a Colt. Then he said money was not a factor. Then he says its up to Peyton if he wants to play.

This afternoon, we will see the real Jim Irsay. Letting go of the soon to be HOF QB even though Peyton said he wanted to come back.

Although I can understand why this happened. I can not stand the fact that he stood in front of camera's, talked to media, and even tweeted about how much he wanted Peyton back. But, in the end, it sounds like he knew all along he was getting rid of him. It is reported that Irsay says its not about money, or health, or Peyton wanting to come back. It is that he wants to rebuild the team. So, he should have been a man and said that from the beginning.

I respected Jim, now I think its fair to say we are all just *s in his opinion. He can lie to us, and we will all just accept it. And, us loyal Colts fan will. Its just a sad sad situation.

Disagree. I think Irsay has been as transparent as we could expect in this process and he did NOT make any unqualified promises, particularly since Mannings surgeries.

He is not a liar, he does not think fans are anything less than great.

He's a leader and will take heat for this decision but, this is an unfair characterization

Has anyone considered that Manning and Irsay sat down and decided mutually that it was in both of their best interests to part ways. Manning has the opportunity to win another ring and put some more good years in with a team that isn't rebuilding, and the Colts get to take Luck and restart properly instead of clinging on to an admittedly wonderful past.

I'm sure Jim wants Peyton around. Everybody wants him around, but this was a business decision, and that's what it should have been. When Jim starts making decisions with his emotions it's time to get out of the business. I think Peyton wanted to stay here too, but realized it would be better for the Colts and the fans to start fresh. He didn't want to put the fans through the turmoil of chanting for Luck when Peyton throws a pick, or pitting one QB against another. That's no way to run an organization, and Peyton realizes that. It's a very hard decision to make, but I think Jim and Peyton made the correct one, as hard as that is for me to say. I'll miss seeing Peyton strap on the horseshoe, but we Colts fans have a very exciting future ahead of us. It's time to celebrate the past, and to eagerly embrace the future.

I've kept my mouth closed for long enough.I'm so hurt by the decision that will unfold today.Ive been a colts fan since i was 15 1998 all because of 1 man.When i was 13 my grandpa told me to watch this kid in orange wearing 16 for UT so i did.Ive been a die hard colts fan since 98 every thing in my house is blue my kids r named hayden and peyton we love the colts.But as it stands unless manning retires today i'm following manning wherever he goes.IMO some of u ppl should be ashamed the way u've handled this manning deal.Bayone your the man and i love reading what u post same with u Andy also the bob sanders guy ill truely miss u guys.As of the rest of u *s your like a freaking rollarcoaster up and down all around full of ^cowpatties^.Irsay is an * for letting manning go.I just cant believe this is happening.and well i could go on and on but i won't.18 for life

I've kept my mouth closed for long enough.I'm so hurt by the decision that will unfold today.Ive been a colts fan since i was 15 1998 all because of 1 man.When i was 13 my grandpa told me to watch this kid in orange wearing 16 for UT so i did.Ive been a die hard colts fan since 98 every thing in my house is blue my kids r named hayden and peyton we love the colts.But as it stands unless manning retires today i'm following manning wherever he goes.IMO some of u ppl should be ashamed the way u've handled this manning deal.Bayone your the man and i love reading what u post same with u Andy also the bob sanders guy ill truely miss u guys.As of the rest of u *s your like a freaking rollarcoaster up and down all around full of ^cowpatties^.Irsay is an * for letting manning go.I just cant believe this is happening.and well i could go on and on but i won't.18 for life

lmao .... u mad bro?

Hate is a very strong word to use towards someone that had the toughest decision he's ever faced. I would bet Irsay hasn't had a good nights sleep since December. This was equivalent to firing ones own son. What if he decided to keep Peyton, trade the pick and next season Peyton sucks or gets put out for good. Now how are you gonna feel when we are stuck with a crappy backup again? Irsay was in a no win situation with the fans no matter what choice he made. Put yourself in his shoes and ponder that for awhile and then come back and tell us if your still going to hate Irsay for his decision. If your a Manning fan than just go follow him where ever his road leads. But if your a true COLTS fan read my signature and live by that!!

Irsay could have kept Luck and Manning, he himself said it wasn't about money... I love the colts and always will no matter what but I don't have to like the decisions they make... Look most of us hatred Caldwell...

Disagree. I think Irsay has been as transparent as we could expect in this process and he did NOT make any unqualified promises, particularly since Mannings surgeries.

He's a leader and will take heat for this decision but, this is an unfair characterization

Totally disagree. I was a huge Irsay supporter. I argued that he never lied to us. Someone pointed out an article from the middle of last season where they asked if he was committed to the coach and he said he was. Turns out he was true to his word and stayed with him for the entire seasons.

I understand business decisions. I understand wanting to get your young QB on the field as soon as possible. I understand that ripping the bandaid off is usually the best policy.

But what I don't understand is how he could have made all of those statements saying money wasn't the issue, Peyton's health was his concern, and that he would keep him if at all possible. He either wasn't sincere or we don't know the truth about Peyton's recovery.

Sorry for the rant. I've been a Colts fan longer than most people on this board have been alive. I'll continue to be a Colts fan. Right now I'm a severly disappointed and depressed fan.

These seem reasonable to me, if we are building for the future.

What about giving up snaps to get the team ready for the game on Sunday seems reasonable? Peyton and company would be preparing to play a team and the first team would lose snaps with Manning so Irsay could have Luck practice? If you want Luck to be prepared then just go with Luck. Forcing your starter, who is Peyton freaking Manning, to give up valuable snaps during the week just so your rookie could get practice time just seems ludicrous when you are trying to win that week.

To me Irsay just kept putting more demands in and they got more ludicrous as time went on. Taking a cheaper contract and mentoring Luck seems reasonable, but when you start throwing in oh you have to give up reps and compete for the starting spot it just reeks of you making it impossible for Manning to come back.

I do not blame Irsay for the decision he made. Given the financial ramifications on the cap and the injury concerns it would be crazy to pass up on such a great QB prospect. I just have not like how Irsay has handled all of this.

In a way it makes me even more mad at Polian and Caldwell for sticking with Painter so dang long. Had they not been a * and gone with Dan who was the obvious better QB we probably would not even had to make this decision.

@4mvps--

i think you meant you're a die hard Peyton Manning fan. I can't stand this type of "fan." You realize you can still be a Colts fan and continue to follow PM closely and root for him right? What happens when he retires? Are you going to bandwagon to the next big thing as well? On behalf of the REAL Colts fans here... GOOD RIDDANCE

Totally disagree. I was a huge Irsay supporter. I argued that he never lied to us. Someone pointed out an article from the middle of last season where they asked if he was committed to the coach and he said he was. Turns out he was true to his word and stayed with him for the entire seasons.

I understand business decisions. I understand wanting to get your young QB on the field as soon as possible. I understand that ripping the bandaid off is usually the best policy.

But what I don't understand is how he could have made all of those statements saying money wasn't the issue, Peyton's health was his concern, and that he would keep him if at all possible. He either wasn't sincere or we don't know the truth about Peyton's recovery.

Sorry for the rant. I've been a Colts fan longer than most people on this board have been alive. I'll continue to be a Colts fan. Right now I'm a severly disappointed and depressed fan.

I don't know smonroe, I'm seeing a lot of people picking and choosing statements.....taking things out of context and disregarding anything that conflicts with their outrage

I've been watching and listening to what Irsay says and was under the impression that this was a very likely possibility

I'm unsure how anyone could see it otherwise.

I dont like losing Peyton, but does anyone seriously believe this colts team with peyton could win a championship? If not, why keep him and just postpone the bad rebuilding years. Not only that but waste the last few of his years. If so, have you looked at the age and health of our team versus Houston? They are better everywhere but QB assuming Peyton is 100%.

@4mvps--

i think you meant you're a die hard Peyton Manning fan. I can't stand this type of "fan." You realize you can still be a Colts fan and continue to follow PM closely and root for him right? What happens when he retires? Are you going to bandwagon to the next big thing as well? On behalf of the REAL Colts fans here... GOOD RIDDANCE

Could we just take the day off from calling each other bandwagon fans?

This is a huge day for the city, the state, and for fans.

It is impossible to not be upset with the notion of Peyton not wearing the shoe.

Fans, imo, should give each other some space to deal with this.

Jim Irsay has said over and over again that if Peyton is healthy he will be a Colt. Then he said money was not a factor. Then he says its up to Peyton if he wants to play.

This afternoon, we will see the real Jim Irsay. Letting go of the soon to be HOF QB even though Peyton said he wanted to come back.

Although I can understand why this happened. I can not stand the fact that he stood in front of camera's, talked to media, and even tweeted about how much he wanted Peyton back. But, in the end, it sounds like he knew all along he was getting rid of him. It is reported that Irsay says its not about money, or health, or Peyton wanting to come back. It is that he wants to rebuild the team. So, he should have been a man and said that from the beginning.

I respected Jim, now I think its fair to say we are all just *s in his opinion. He can lie to us, and we will all just accept it. And, us loyal Colts fan will. Its just a sad sad situation.

I don't blame you for feeling how you feel. Irsay did say that he wanted Peyton to retire as a Colt and I didn't like the way he handled this at all with twitter and the bickering between Manning and Irsay. It is just the fact that Manning is 36 with 4 neck procedures, Irsay had to make a business decision about Peyton which was very tough. I would rather the Colts get the first pick in the draft and start to rebuild with a very good QB prospect, then Peyton retire and give us the 21-28 pick and in a weak QB class. I think all Colt fans are saddened by this decision because Peyton has been more than a QB, he has been an icon and such a success that he has risen above just a football player for Colts fans

I don't know smonroe, I'm seeing a lot of people picking and choosing statements.....taking things out of context and disregarding anything that conflicts with their outrage

I've been watching and listening to what Irsay says and was under the impression that this was a very likely possibility

I'm unsure how anyone could see it otherwise.

It's these types of interviews from 2/14 that I'm talking about:

“We can make it work if he wants to be here,” Irsay told the Indianapolis Star. “We'd be excited to have him back and finish his career with us.

I want him to be able to make the choice. We would love to have him back here if he can get healthy and we can look at doing a contract that reflects the uncertainty of the … healing process with the regeneration of the nerve.

There's no question it can be worked out if he wants to be here,” Irsay told the Star. “It can work if he wants to come back and can get back to being the old Peyton.””

So apparently either Peyton doesn't want to be here or he's not healthy, right?

@4mvps--

When he retires i will cheer for lil brother

@4mvps--

also bandwagon seriously what have the colts done ha manage to win 1 superbowl under manning colts r a fing joke Good Riddance ill take it

The second Irsay realized Colts have the number one draft pick, he turned into a different man. I understand its business but there are intangibles, loyalty and unofficial rules for everything and he violated that clearly.

He clearly said money wont be the issue ( only way to justify this scenario is Peyton not being healthy still ).

Anyways, I am glad i am not a Colts fan right now ( purely coz of the management ).

Hope everything works out for the true passionate Colts Fans but law of nature will take its course. Its inevitable

He no longer wants Peyton because he has Luck. Luck is the reason Peyton became expendable in Irsay's mind.

why does every colt fan gloss over the fact manning had 4 neck surgeries and health is the reason Irsay is moving on? I feel like people are under the assuption that Manning is 100% healthy and ready to throw 45 TD's this year

Irsay could have kept Luck and Manning, he himself said it wasn't about money... I love the colts and always will no matter what but I don't have to like the decisions they make... Look most of us hatred Caldwell...

I wouldn't say most but some did. He had strings attached to him being controlled by the Puppet Master Polian. He made a couple dumb decisions on his own but most were Polians doing. Anyways to keep both means its almost impossible to rebuild the rest of the team so that wouldn't have benefitted us at all. Irsay made a very tough decision that anyone of us would've struggled with also. There was absolutely no way to come out of this without PO'ing fans. Irsay needs our support through this troubled time as does Luck. Don't dwell on the past but embrace the future!! Go Colts!!

First, if anyone should be vilified by Baltimore fans over the Colts move to Indy in '84, it should be the City of Baltimore. It seems like Bob was kind of a jackanape, so it's easy to blame the whole thing on him, but the City was hours away from claiming the team by eminent domain. Moving was the only way the Irsays could keep what they rightfully owned.

Second, I am unbelievable sick of all the fanboy this and irsay lied about that... It's ALL B.S.

The truth is the situation here is far more complicated that most of you seem to be aware or willing to accept. You want black and white because it makes your world easier to comprehend. The reality is an enormous field of shades of gray.

I think Irsay has been telling the truth that, in an ideal world, he wants Manning to stay and retire here. I think he meant it when he said money was not the issue. Unfortunately, the uncertainty over Manning's neck, coupled with the enormous impact Manning's contract would have on the Colts ability to field anything resembling a decent team around him, negated whatever Irsay would have hoped to do here.

I'm also amused that some of you think Manning deuces roses. If you want to hang Irsay for 'lying', how is it you imagine Manning gets off scott free? Contracts are negotiations. Not Irsay making a decision and Manning agreeing to it. If Manning said he wanted to retire as a Colt, why didn't he make more effort to see that it happened, even if he had to play for the vet minimum?

Probably because the whole situation is far more complicated than our limited perspective allows us to see...

Stop looking for someone to hang. Move on if Manning means more to you than the team, but you don't have to create a villain where there isn't one, just to justify yourselves.

Curse the rep quota!

So here's a question; what does Luck have, that Irsay loves so much that Peyton does not? What makes Luck the newcomer more desirable from the owner's standpoint than Peyton?

Youth? Health? Cheaper? Pride/ego of finding his own next Manning? That's what I don't get

Thats exactly what it is. Peyton has been the face of the franchise for 14 years and Jim thinks this is his time to make indiana love him for finding the "next" peyton manning. That's the only reason that i can see anyone letting peyton go.

It's natural to be mad at Jim at a time like this, but we have no idea how much this pains him, how close he is with Peyton, and exactly what the obstacles prevented them from achieving what they set out to accomplish.

My feelings are that whatever amount of Peyton's skills that return from this injury would be wasted on an extremely poor team that cannot improve itself because roughly 1/4 of the salary cap was spent on ONE player.

I'd prefer we kept Peyton around in some way shape or form, but life is about adapting to change.

Maybe this is the best way to bypass the 28mil and they can pick up PM as a free agent? I can hope! I don't think Irsay lied, so much as talked out his you know what before he had all the info he needed to make a decision and who knows what Peyton's input was to all this... I just think it's sad that this has been released by "SOURCES" and not Irsay himself. I don't know if this info was a leak, but it shouldn't be announced this way if true.

Jim Irsay is a NOMAD. History speaks. He doesnt care about Indianapolis ( thats the reality ). Like his father, he can go to any city.

One of the more dumb statements in this thread. If Irsay wanted to leave Indianapolis, he would be gone already. The opportunity has been there for Irsay to move the Colts.

I think it's very possible that Irsay had every intention of keeping Manning, albeit at a reduced price, but Manning wouldn't agree to stay if the Colts drafted Luck. And Irsay CANNOT pass up the opportunity to solidify the QB position for the next 10-15 seasons. That would be a dumb move. The next franchise QB is there for the taking, and we cannot pass up this opportunity.

It's these types of interviews from 2/14 that I'm talking about:

“We can make it work if he wants to be here,” Irsay told the Indianapolis Star. “We'd be excited to have him back and finish his career with us.

I want him to be able to make the choice. We would love to have him back here if he can get healthy and we can look at doing a contract that reflects the uncertainty of the … healing process with the regeneration of the nerve.

There's no question it can be worked out if he wants to be here,” Irsay told the Star. “It can work if he wants to come back and can get back to being the old Peyton.””

So apparently either Peyton doesn't want to be here or he's not healthy, right?

I think it's all in how you interpret, "if Peyton wants to be here".

I think there were conditions and I believe his interests and the teams interests came into conflict

sad but true

There is no bad guy here.

First, if anyone should be vilified by Baltimore fans over the Colts move to Indy in '84, it should be the City of Baltimore. It seems like Bob was kind of a jackanape, so it's easy to blame the whole thing on him, but the City was hours away from claiming the team by eminent domain. Moving was the only way the Irsays could keep what they rightfully owned.

Second, I am unbelievable sick of all the fanboy this and irsay lied about that... It's ALL B.S.

The truth is the situation here is far more complicated that most of you seem to be aware or willing to accept. You want black and white because it makes your world easier to comprehend. The reality is an enormous field of shades of gray.

I think Irsay has been telling the truth that, in an ideal world, he wants Manning to stay and retire here. I think he meant it when he said money was not the issue. Unfortunately, the uncertainty over Manning's neck, coupled with the enormous impact Manning's contract would have on the Colts ability to field anything resembling a decent team around him, negated whatever Irsay would have hoped to do here.

I'm also amused that some of you think Manning deuces roses. If you want to hang Irsay for 'lying', how is it you imagine Manning gets off scott free? Contracts are negotiations. Not Irsay making a decision and Manning agreeing to it. If Manning said he wanted to retire as a Colt, why didn't he make more effort to see that it happened, even if he had to play for the vet minimum?

Probably because the whole situation is far more complicated than our limited perspective allows us to see...

Stop looking for someone to hang. Move on if Manning means more to you than the team, but you don't have to create a villain where there isn't one, just to justify yourselves.

You double-eagled a Par 4 with that one my friend.

One of the more dumb statements in this thread. If Irsay wanted to leave Indianapolis, he would be gone already. The opportunity has been there for Irsay to move the Colts.

I think it's very possible that Irsay had every intention of keeping Manning, albeit at a reduced price, but Manning wouldn't agree to stay if the Colts drafted Luck. And Irsay CANNOT pass up the opportunity to solidify the QB position for the next 10-15 seasons. That would be a dumb move. The next franchise QB is there for the taking, and we cannot pass up this opportunity.

Thanks for judgement buddy.

I wanted to address this but with your reply, it explains you probably wont get it. So not worth it.

He clearly said money wont be the issue ( only way to justify this scenario is Peyton not being healthy still ).

He did say that, but there are more issues than just pure money and Manning's health... for instance, what about the ability to field a TEAM? No matter how much some of you want to believe that Manning wore a cape and played every position himself, the reality is that league rules require all roster spots be paid for under something called a SALARY CAP... meaning even if Irsay wanted to pay Manning the $28M, there would have been insufficient room left under the cap to surround him with adequate talent, even if Irsay was only worried about making sure he stayed upright. Here's an idea... Irsay can resign Manning, and you and I can be brought in to man the OLine... How long do you figure Manning's career would last then?

He did say that, but there are more issues than just pure money and Manning's health... for instance, what about the ability to field a TEAM? No matter how much some of you want to believe that Manning wore a cape and played every position himself, the reality is that league rules require all roster spots be paid for under something called a SALARY CAP... meaning even if Irsay wanted to pay Manning the $28M, there would have been insufficient room left under the cap to surround him with adequate talent, even if Irsay was only worried about making sure he stayed upright. Here's an idea... Irsay can resign Manning, and you and I can be brought in to man the OLine... How long do you figure Manning's career would last then?

Sure, point is just dont make those big statements then. If you do, back it up.

Jim Irsay is just like his 'Ol man. He also lied to everyone about ever moving the Baltimore Colts to another city. No respect here for the Irsays!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It helps to know the whole story before spouting half truths.

It is probably easy to ignore the 15 years that Ownership begged the City of Baltimore for improvements to a dilapidated stadium, or to sweep under the carpet the idea that the Maryland Senate was moving to steal the team.