Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bashaud Breeland leaves Indy without deal

TKnight24

1 hour ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

We do not know what he wants, what we offered, or what other teams will pay/offer.  Apparently we have a price in mind, and he wants to shop for highest pay/ longest /most guaranteed $ contract.  (as he should)  He either eventually likes our offer in the end, or he takes what he feels is a better deal elsewhere.

I have no doubt our Pro Player department, along with help from the college scouting department, are looking at the other NFL teams overstocked with players at certain positions we are thin at. Evaluating (archived scouting notes, college tape, pro tape if not a rookie, and pre-season games) who is likely to be released from those teams, and if any of them might be determined to be better than what we currently have.  I feel there are some talented guys out there that will not seem to fit in many of the 3-4 teams systems out there, and will drop in nicely into our new scheme.  If they are released, we could well swoop in and grab one or two should it happen.

We do know what he wants and we know what we offered.  We probably don't know what other teams are offering although it's been reported the Chiefs offered a one year prove it deal in the 7-8M range.  All the teams will wait to see who might be available for trade at cutdown time or just cut outright.  I'm sure we have our list as you said.  But the chances of have having a young proven starting CB being released is slim or next to none.  Breeland would be an immediate starter on our team.  I would hope that Ballard has a Range in mind and not a take it or leave it PRICE.  I would hope he is still open to working a deal out.  Two visits tells me we are pretty close and there is mutual interest.  This is no time to draw a line in the sand.  I'm hoping we made an offer similar to Sheards or Simons.  Those guys are starters and similar in age.  I think he is a better player than anything that might come out of cutdown day.  It will be interesting to see how this plays out.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, 1959Colts said:

I really do believe our current group of dbs, if healthy, should do just fine.

You may be right. But their experience is minimal and the depth is very very thin. A player like Breeland would help the team. I'm hoping the Colts are willing to pay him close to what he was offered in Carolina. $6-7 million per year/3 years with decent guaranteed money is not expensive for a solid starter at CB. 

• Like 1

I think he would help and would like to see the Colts sign him BUT not go crazy with the deal to do it.  Ballard should stick to his guns.  If Breeland gets more than the Colts offer then good luck to him.  There are still other guys out there that could be of value and we haven't even gotten to camp cuts really yet.

• Like 1

For whatever it’s worth....

A story from a blog about the Chiefs says KC thinks their chances are fading...

But....

The buzz they hear is that both the Ravens and Jets are said to be showing more interest.    No mention of the Colts either way.    Also no mention of his visit to Cleveland.  

So this story may take longer to play out than we expect.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, richard pallo said:

According to Jeff Zrebreic on twitter just now Breeland is at the Ravens facility this morning taking a physical and meeting with team officials.  Ravens are reportedly very aggressive and want to sign him immediately.  This could be it.  

I just have a sneaky suspicion some teams still find reason to red flag him for his foot.  I had heard rumors that he needed a skin graft, and if so, the infection may well have caused a large amount of skin loss.  Recovery from a skin graft is not like the recovery from suturing up a cut and waiting for it to heal.   Some grafts heal very slowly, or essentially not at all and a second graft is necessary.  I feel the former is a possibility here.

It is either that or teams aren't going to shell out the deal the Panthers were going to do now that he has had this twice (4th grade and this year) requiring the same repair (if he indeed had another skin graft this time).  I don't blame him for looking for his best deal.  And if he waits long enough, some team will pass him medically and likely pay him more than the other teams are offering.  Totally speculation, but this thing is playing out longer than I had anticipated, in my mind.

Nobody has any proof he has passed a team (any teams) physical yet either, correct?

31 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

I just have a sneaky suspicion some teams still find reason to red flag him for his foot.  I had heard rumors that he needed a skin graft, and if so, the infection may well have caused a large amount of skin loss.  Recovery from a skin graft is not like the recovery from suturing up a cut and waiting for it to heal.   Some grafts heal very slowly, or essentially not at all and a second graft is necessary.  I feel the former is a possibility here.

It is either that or teams aren't going to shell out the deal the Panthers were going to do now that he has had this twice (4th grade and this year) requiring the same repair (if he indeed had another skin graft this time).  I don't blame him for looking for his best deal.  And if he waits long enough, some team will pass him medically and likely pay him more than the other teams are offering.  Totally speculation, but this thing is playing out longer than I had anticipated, in my mind.

Nobody has any proof he has passed a team (any teams) physical yet either, correct?

I haven't seen reports that he has passed a physical.  But the Chiefs reportedly offered him a one year prove it deal at 7-8M.  So he must have passed a physical.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

It's been eerily quiet on the Breeland front since his visit Saturday with the Ravens.  It seems likely that no team has made an offer that he was ready to sign.  This might bode well for our chances and I am hoping he and Ballard are still talking.  

Yeah, I was just wondering if there were any updates on him

Maybe he just wanted double or nothing on the basketball game against the mail boy. Do I think we still have need at corner...definitely...is this the right guy...perhaps...I'm not too worried either way. If this guy was a real difference maker either way he would be signed by someone by now. It's not a make or break signing...but just because he didn't play for us last year doesn't mean he is suddenly an improvement over what we have.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Yeah, I was just wondering if there were any updates on him

Steven Holder tweeted that he'd be surprised if the Colts sign him and it seems they want to stick with the guys they have. Ravens were said to be the most aggressive for his services but a Chiefs site thinks the Colts are the favorite.

https://arrowheadaddict.com/2018/07/29/bashaud-breeland-colts-chiefs-ravens-raiders-browns-odds-free-agency/

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Maybe he just wanted double or nothing on the basketball game against the mail boy. Do I think we still have need at corner...definitely...is this the right guy...perhaps...I'm not too worried either way. If this guy was a real difference maker either way he would be signed by someone by now. It's not a make or break signing...but just because he didn't play for us last year doesn't mean he is suddenly an improvement over what we have.

Oh I agree, I'm just interested out of sheer curiosity is all.  If we get him, cool, if not, i think we'll be ok. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CR91 said:

with how much Ballard talks up kenny moore, I dont know if we make this move. I also think Breeland has a number in mind and ballard wont budge on his.

yeah.  One thing is for sure, Ballard wont be getting into a bidding war. That said though, i think it's obvious a couple teams are at least bidding on him.  

1 hour ago, Boiler_Colt said:

Steven Holder tweeted that he'd be surprised if the Colts sign him and it seems they want to stick with the guys they have. Ravens were said to be the most aggressive for his services but a Chiefs site thinks the Colts are the favorite.

https://arrowheadaddict.com/2018/07/29/bashaud-breeland-colts-chiefs-ravens-raiders-browns-odds-free-agency/

Very interesting read on the Chiefs site.  And I have to agree with the author.  We make the most sense out of all of the suitors.  Breeland wants his payday but he now realizes duplicating his original deal is not going to happen.  Ballard has the resources to give him a long term deal that would make him feel rewarded and wanted.  You could always throw in some incentive clauses. He would be a starter here and he should know that.  This just makes to much sense as the Chiefs article points out.  

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

He ain't getting no 3yrs 24Mil out of the Pats I know that.   You can play your behind off for them and they still won't pay their corners.   They send you out the door if you want real money.  

Patriots | Bashaud Breeland leaves without deal    Tue Aug 7, 04:31 PM

Updating a previous report, free-agent CB Bashaud Breeland (Redskins) left his visit with the New England Patriots without a contract but was told that the Patriots will be in touch.

Link to story
Bashaud Breeland player page

www.footballguys.com     news blogger

4 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

Everyone is average in YOUR eyes, afterall, you ARE the man of steel!  Kinda Hard to match up to that.

Not at all. He's good, I'd be fine with signing him, but I don't think he'd be a difference maker. 

Now if the corners get torched Thursday night, I might change my tune...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Superman said:

Not at all. He's good, I'd be fine with signing him, but I don't think he'd be a difference maker. 

Now if the corners get torched Thursday night, I might change my tune...

I'm with you.  I was just doin a superman joke.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Superman said:

So much noise about a very average player... 

Because, average or not,  he's among the best players that is available and he plays of a position that some of us think is weak....

Add those up and you get a fair amount of noise.....

1 hour ago, Four2itus said:

As much as the entire league needs good corner play, there is a reason he is yet unsigned. If he was worth what his agent is asking, he would have been snatched up like that!

I agree. I also think there's a deeper issue here than just money. Too many teams looking at him with a bunch of cap space for it to just be a money issue. Notice not a single report about him failing or passing a physical, that is odd. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Because, average or not,  he's among the best players that is available and he plays of a position that some of us think is weak....

Add those up and you get a fair amount of noise.....

He's visited six teams now.  That's a lot of noise for a very average player.  The more I think about it signing a 3yr. 24 mil contract sounds like he was getting paid pretty well for an average player until his injury that is. 

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

He's visited six teams now.  That's a lot of noise for a very average player.  The more I think about it signing a 3yr. 24 mil contract sounds like he was getting paid pretty well for an average player until his injury that is. 

I think the reason Breekand isn’t signed is that he’s hoping a team — any team, it only takes one — decides to offer the same 3/24, or at least something close.   

Apparently, no one has.

If it’s true,  I’m surprised Breeland didn’t sign with KC who reportedly offered 1/7-8 mill.   Why not?   A one year, prove it offer,  with a team that many think has a good chance at the playoffs?   But he didn’t.    Or, the offer wasn’t that good.   

So it remains a mystery.    I look every day to see if he signed elsewhere.   Still looking.....

• Like 1

• 1 month later...