Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Our two 7th Round Linebackers....

NewColtsFan

Both are undersized LBs, and as we all know, measurables don’t necessarily translate to talent.  There’s a reason they both 7th rounders even with those numbers.  

They are both both the kind of guys Ballard wants, fast role players who can come in  and contribute to STs right away.  Not to mention high quality team guys.  Heck, what Franklin did at Syracuse is almost unprecedented.  

• Like 2

They are both leaders, they both were productive and they are both physical specimens.....

They will have to outplay all of these guys:

Leonard - Starting WILL

Morrison - slow slow slow - likely cut

Goode - veteran leader - doubtfull

Walker - 4.65 40 after he bulked up, likely our starting MIKE

Sankey - 3-4 ILB - done deal

Perry - 3-4 OLB - done deal

George - 4.91 40.....slow slow slow

Moore - as good a chance as any UDFA to make the rostet

Grace - perfect WILL with his 4.57 40

T. Adams - 4.65 40 gives him a chance and experience to start at MIKE

That is 8 linebackers, which most 4-3 teams only keep 6.....

Reading an article about Franklin. Interesting that two years ago, Syracuse installed a completely new Defense, one that many fans and such thought Franklin was not a good fit for. Yet, in the past two seasons he had shown excellent growth and ability to thrive in that new scheme, where he led the team in tackles and became reliable in pass coverage.

That scheme they switched to? Cover 2.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

They are both leaders, they both were productive and they are both physical specimens.....

They will have to outplay all of these guys:

Leonard - Starting WILL

Morrison - slow slow slow - likely cut

Goode - veteran leader - doubtfull

Walker - 4.65 40 after he bulked up, likely our starting MIKE

Sankey - 3-4 ILB - done deal

Perry - 3-4 OLB - done deal

George - 4.91 40.....slow slow slow

Moore - as good a chance as any UDFA to make the rostet

Grace - perfect WILL with his 4.57 40

T. Adams - 4.65 40 gives him a chance and experience to start at MIKE

That is 8 linebackers, which most 4-3 teams only keep 6.....

Well....   if I'm reading you correctly,   you favor Leonard, Goode, Walker,  Moore and Grace as the favorites to make the team.     That's five.   So, one could be Matt Adams or Zaire Franklin,  especially if either can play SAM,  which doesn't appear to have a front runner right now.     The other could be on the PS.

Did I read you correctly?

16 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Well....   if I'm reading you correctly,   you favor Leonard, Goode, Walker,  Moore and Grace as the favorites to make the team.     That's five.   So, one could be Matt Adams or Zaire Franklin,  especially if either can play SAM,  which doesn't appear to have a front runner right now.     The other could be on the PS.

I didn't really do the math, but yes.....lol.....T. Adams and Goode could have been signed as insurance possibilities prior to the draft, BUT, you'd have to think they'd keep 1 veteran presence in the film room!? Right?

2 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

Then again with Himes being a swiss army knife capable of being depth at RB, WR and Returner.....then that frees up a spot to carry an extra linebacker for special teams purposes?

Exactly what I was thinking when they drafted Nyheim Hines. Assuming he can play, he potentially fills a few roster spots opening up some room to allow the new defensive scheme to carry those extra players...

• Like 1

I need to see more of Adams in coverage. However the rest of his game please sign me up! Plays the game the way its supposed to be played. Mike Singletary style. I could envision him starting at Mike.

• Like 2

Please watch this. I'm all for being hyped about all our players. however, Franklin's tape alone in this game lets me know all I need to know. Sure its a small sample size, but literally everything he did was just flat out bad. Lazy, slow, bad awareness, horrible coverage, average tackling...I don't see him making it out of preseason cuts. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ka_EEdX2c7I

15 hours ago, Calmack said:

Please watch this. I'm all for being hyped about all our players. however, Franklin's tape alone in this game lets me know all I need to know. Sure its a small sample size, but literally everything he did was just flat out bad. Lazy, slow, bad awareness, horrible coverage, average tackling...I don't see him making it out of preseason cuts. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ka_EEdX2c7I

I mean they're an unranked team taking on an undefeated top 10 team.  Not sure you can read much into that. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Matthew Adams is a dog

Wow,  obliterated some of those guys.. lol. 

If he can find some of that on the nfl level he'll be a beast for us. 

15 hours ago, Calmack said:

All you need to know from one game?  Also, a lot of hyperbole with "literally everything he did was flat out bad."  If anything, that video showed that the Dline was not good that game.  Miami really looked like they pushed the Syracuse Dline around.

From Zaire's Franklin's tape vs Miami, I didn't love it to be honest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ka_EEdX2c7I

He needs to take better angles when going for the tackle. He is a quite lightweight in disengaging from blocks too. 

Hopefully he can do well here nonetheless, but he has quite along way to go I think. I guess that's why he is a 7th rounder. That said he is very quick though and plays with good hustle. Seems like a good character guy too.

Haven't seen Adams yet.

For a 7th rounder I really like Adams.  Plays like a hungry rottweiler. He's see ball. Attack ball.  He tackles really well.

I've still got to take out the time to watch him in coverage,but

the other stuff I'm satisfied with.

40 minutes ago, Cynjin said:

All you need to know from one game?  Also, a lot of hyperbole with "literally everything he did was flat out bad."  If anything, that video showed that the Dline was not good that game.  Miami really looked like they pushed the Syracuse Dline around.

Did nothing to get off blocks, seemed to give up once the play got past him, did not contest any catches that were thrown in his coverage. Yeah, the d line stunk it up, but so did he. 

39 minutes ago, Calmack said:

Did nothing to get off blocks, seemed to give up once the play got past him, did not contest any catches that were thrown in his coverage. Yeah, the d line stunk it up, but so did he. 

He did not have a good game in those highlights against Miami, but it was one game.

23 hours ago, aaron11 said:

mcafee is the only 7th round pick that has ever done much for us

im not bashing the new guys, i honestly know nothing about them, just thought that was interesting 

Pierre Garçon was a 7th rounder.

1 minute ago, Jaredfor3 said:

Pierre Garçon was a 7th rounder.

just double checked he was a 6th round pick according to wikipedia 

good player but i think its at least debatable if he ever did much for the colts.  i dont think he liked indy very much and the team let him walk 

On 4/30/2018 at 8:56 PM, NewColtsFan said:

As Dave Mathews would say......

our "Grace is gone"

• Like 1