Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dan Campbell to get Interview

1959Colts

1 minute ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Well, as somebody who said they don't really want Campbell, it's not "just because."

That said, he's not a bad option and I could get behind him. I just worry about running into the same problems we had under Pagano.

Thank you for th explanation and I was hinting at those who have no explanation or “forget” to give one

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

What I have issue with is fans who put down a coach and/or player because of a flaw

Gotcha! I think we have to be realistic our next coach is not going to be a Bill Belichick/Vince Lombardi/Tony Dungy love child. No one is perfect and we can't expect our next coach to be. I get what you are saying. I just want a good coach who can lead us back into contention.

23 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Never said that but that at this point every candidate will have some kind of flaw and we(fans) cannot throw someone away because they are too tall, have little experience, etc.

Agreed.  From day 1 every candidate has some kind of flaw, including and especially McDaniels.

12 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

From what I am hearing it will be Reich with no DeFelippo

They wont get both. I would take either one over someone like Campbell or another defensive HC.

But in choosing between the two, I have to say I am intrigued by Defilippo.

15 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Well, as somebody who said they don't really want Campbell, it's not "just because."

That said, he's not a bad option and I could get behind him. I just worry about running into the same problems we had under Pagano.

Of course we are going to run into the same problems we had with Pagano.  Whatever bottom of the barrel, third pick, loser coach we bring in is going to cause us the same problems as Pagano.  I don't see this clown being any better or worse than Reich.

7 minutes ago, Andrew86 said:

Of course we are going to run into the same problems we had with Pagano.  Whatever bottom of the barrel, third pick, loser coach we bring in is going to cause us the same problems as Pagano.  I don't see this clown being any better or worse than Reich.

I dont get why you think the rest of the NFL's coaches are losers. 

18 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Thank you for th explanation and I was hinting at those who have no explanation or “forget” to give one

No problem. And now that I think about it Pagano's probably a lazy comparison, a much more apt one would be Vrabel. Hard nosed leader, young, (pretty) fresh from his playing days.

I wouldn't have hated hiring Vrabel either but he wasn't a favorite.

1 hour ago, 1959Colts said:
He is the guy that served as Miami's interim HC in 2015

Colts are expected to request permission for HC interviews with Eagles OC Frank Reich and Saints asst HC Dan Campbell, per sources.

image.jpeg.691b6103f9013ba437db7c74f18a6e1d.jpeg

I'm born and raised in Miami, Take my advice and just pass. FYI I believe he was a TE's coach before being elevated to interim head coach.

51 minutes ago, Andrew86 said:

You keep complaining ... but I have missed who you thought was the great HC/oc/dc combo we missed out on (and that no one left is comparable to)???

There are candidates being suggested, that will quite possibly fail as a head coach, there are also candidates out there, that are not even being considered that could very well succeed. This all or nothing, big name thought is seriously odd. 

I have been watching this game for a long time. I have seen so many sure fire hires that failed...and equally common nobodies that kicked butt. I know we are upset as fans, but integrity has once again shown to be the measuring stick as to representing the shoe! Can't wait to see who they choose.

Here's a very reasonable Dolphins fans take from him:

Hi guys! Dolphins fan here, just wanted to give you my two cents:

Pros: As a personality and a leader Dan Campbell is AWESOME (I STILL kinda miss him and would like to have seen what he coulda done with a whole season, even though I'm very happy with Gase.) I think the majority of fans loved him and the attitude he brought to the team. He will fire you up, fire the team up and make you believe that you are going to * POUND whatever team has the misfortune of playing you that day. The man is swagger personified, and his Dolphins showed it.

Cons: Well while he was still youngish and adjusting to the role of HC in my opinion, he was not a particularly good in-game Coach. He would struggle with the other team's halftime adjustments and it would routinely seem like he was outcoached by the likes of Bill Bellicheck. He's also not a QB mentor or offensive genius, and I don't know if he's the kind of guy you want to attach Andrew Luck at the hip with.

Final Take: This Dolphins fan LOVES Campbell and would love to see him succeed in Indy. I think he would establish a culture of toughness and accountability, and give a swagger to the whole organization. However, you will need to pair him with an OC who's not only an offensive whiz but who can also get the most out of Luck. Campbell can set the tone for success, but he'll need some people under him to get there!

I come away from that with kind of a "meh" reaction, and that's pretty much the nicest thing I've seen a Dolphins fan say about him.

14 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Interesting info the key would be to surround with top notch assistants

Yeah. To be quite honest I'm always skeptical when that's said about a potential HC, like it was with Vrabel.

Because I think every coach needs good assistants, really. So when it's a main thing that's said about a potential HC, all I hear is "relies on good assistants."

I know that's kind of a contradicting statement though.

2 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Yeah. To be quite honest I'm always skeptical when that's said about a potential HC. 

Because I think every coach needs good assistants, really. So when it's a main thing that's said about a potential HC, all I hear is "needs to rely on good assistants."

I am fine with it because most of those that don’t are control freaks and struggle to adjust

Heck even B.B. does

6 hours ago, JColts72 said:

Dude is ripped. Can kick Josh's butt

Listen to a couple of his interviews. Dude is freaking SCARY :) I mean, he's more than intense. He seems like he's thinking about wading into the press row. 

6 hours ago, chrisfarley said:

Rick Venturi just texted Dan Dakich that Dan Campbell is a * (i paraphrased because i can't remember the exact word he used but it wasn't good).

Sounds like we should steer clear of this dude.  Venturi has been in the NFL circles for decades and I trust what he says - for the most part).

He (Venturi) told Dakich this while Dakich was on the phone with Diana Russini or whatever her name is.

Lets also keep in mind that McDaniels screws other teams up too because the Colts are trying to pluck someone or a group of people which will disrupt other teams at this late date in the game.  McDaniels causing ripples or a tsumani across the league for weeks to come (probably months)

Bill Parcells is pushing for Campbell.  Venturi is not. Hmmm...

Have we already interviewed Toub? It said that we "reportedly" did in an indystar article from today, but I haven't seen it anywhere else. 

I still lean toward Toub, despite the fact that I didn't know who he was until Ballard was hired and articles started to come out connecting him to the Indy HC gig. It doesn't bother me that he's a ST coach. He seems to be well respected around the league and has been on teams' radar for a HC position for a while now. I think that a lot of us soured on the idea because he didn't come in for an interview (for any team) and we had visions of Harbaughs, Shaws, and McDanielses dancing through our heads. I, for one, am not against revisiting the idea that Toub might be the guy... I'm certainly curious about who he would get to fill out the staff.

I'm not a fan of Campbell at the moment... He (reportedly) acted like a baby when he didn't get the HC job in Miami and just seems like a generally abrasive dude. 

I can talk myself into Reich. It's really hard to quantify his role in Philly's success, but he is another guy that people in NFL circles seem to heap praise upon. I feel the same way about Defilippo, in general. It'd be nice to hire both, but somebody has to call plays. I suppose that's where Bevell's name keeps coming in. 

I think we might be closer to "beggars can't be choosers" than "pick of the litter" at this point, though... Hiring Eberflus, Goog (I'm calling him goog from now on), and Phair (anyone remember Liz Phair?) certainly complicated matters... Hopefully it doesn't cost us the chance at our guy.

3 hours ago, Iron Colt said:

Parcells is pushing because he played for him. He is being loyal and speaking up for one of his guys.

Nothing wrong with that and it's a great quality but he may or may not be the best candidate.

Just like your third sentence, your first sentence may or may not be true.