Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts sign WR Rodney Adams to a future deal

MTC

http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/Roster-Move-Colts-Sign-WR-Rodney-Adams-To-ReserveFuture-Contract/3843bbea-909e-4f36-b32b-3833d36045be

The Indianapolis Colts today signed wide receiver Rodney Adams to a reserve/future contract.

Adams, 6-1, 189 pounds, spent time on the Minnesota Vikings’ active roster and practice squad as a rookie in 2017 but did not see game action. He spent Weeks 1-8 on the active roster before being waived on October 30. Adams was signed to the team’s practice squad on November 1, where he spent the remainder of the regular season and postseason. He was originally selected by the Vikings in the fifth round (170th overall) of the 2017 NFL Draft out of South Florida.

Collegiately, Adams played in 43 games (29 starts) at South Florida (2014-16) and Toledo (2013) and totaled 137 receptions for 1,982 yards (14.5 avg.) and 16 touchdowns, 40 carries for 375 yards (9.4 avg.) and seven touchdowns and 46 kickoff returns for 1,140 yards (24.8 avg.) and one touchdown. He ranks second in Bulls history in career receptions (135), receiving yards (1,967) and receiving touchdowns (16). Adams began his career at Toledo in 2013 and played in seven games as a true freshman before being granted a hardship by the NCAA to transfer to play immediately at South Florida.

Also, he has a YouTube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHXMhditPi_eqrNWR8IZH5Q/videos

34 minutes ago, ReMeDy said:

I'm surprised they even let him keep doing this.

If McDaniels took anything from BB as far as keeping things tight-lipped and behind closed doors, I'll be surprised if they let him do anything like this at all.

This guys draft profile reads like he'd be the perfect slot receiver to take the Welker/Amendola/Edelman role.

Good route runner, lightning quick in and out of his breaks, strong hands AND he runs a 4.40 40 which shows on tape....he ran a lot of end arounds too at USF, like the NE offense does with the slot receiver.

I'm not sure why Minnesota cut him loose so quick after drafting him in the 5th last year....but he shows on tape. 

9 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

This guys draft profile reads like he'd be the perfect slot receiver to take the Welker/Amendola/Edelman role.

Good route runner, lightning quick in and out of his breaks, strong hands AND he runs a 4.40 40 which shows on tape....he ran a lot of end arounds too at USF, like the NE offense does with the slot receiver.

I'm not sure why Minnesota cut him loose so quick after drafting him in the 5th last year....but he shows on tape. 

I did not realize that Adams was no longer with the Vikings. During training camp and preseason games, he dropped a lot of passes. Zimmer does not like that. We drafted another WR, S. Coley of Miami, in the 7th round. Coley played a lot better and remained on the 53-man roster through the end of the year. 

I like Adams and hope he succeeds with the Colts. I enjoyed watching a few of his videos which he called Vlogs. Some fans may not like them. During preseason, many fans thought Adams would not make the team because Zimmer would not appreciate these vlogs. 

Anyway, best wishes to Rodney.

31 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I did not realize that Adams was no longer with the Vikings. During training camp and preseason games, he dropped a lot of passes. Zimmer does not like that. We drafted another WR, S. Coley of Miami, in the 7th round. Coley played a lot better and remained on the 53-man roster through the end of the year. 

I like Adams and hope he succeeds with the Colts. I enjoyed watching a few of his videos which he called Vlogs. Some fans may not like them. During preseason, many fans thought Adams would not make the team because Zimmer would not appreciate these vlogs. 

Anyway, best wishes to Rodney.

I was hoping you'd give your insight on him. Did he do any kick returning while with the Vikes? When I saw that he did some in college I thought this might be why the Colts were interested.

4 minutes ago, coltsfansince65 said:

Did he do any kick returning while with the Vikes?

I cannot recall if he did in preseason but he did not return kicks in the regular season. He was expected to return kicks, as he did in college. But he was beat out by McKinnon. 

Here is an article written before the season. It has a highlight video of him in college. We had high hopes for him here but it did not work out. 

http://vikingswire.usatoday.com/2017/06/14/wr-rodney-adams-is-making-push-to-be-vikings-kick-returner/

6 hours ago, tvturner said:

Let's not act like he's the 2nd coming of Antonio Brown now

There was no mention of Antonio Brown and quite frankly those mentioned as comps weren't either.....they were Welker/Amendola/Edelman......

He has skill and his profile lends itself to being a good slot reciever.

Why don't you take your negativity, lack of reading comprehension and self righteous attitude elsewhere! 

38 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

There was no mention of Antonio Brown and quite frankly those mentioned as comps weren't either.....they were Welker/Amendola/Edelman......

He has skill and his profile lends itself to being a good slot reciever.

Why don't you take your negativity, lack of reading comprehension and self righteous attitude elsewhere! 

So he has never played in a regular season game and didn't have any team claim him upon his release and sat on a practice squad for the remainder of the yr .....  and we should compare him to Welker/Amendola/Edelman??????

Everytime a player gets signed this board thinks they just signed the greatest player in the world.....    

It happened with Patrick Robinson most recently when he was brought in to play out of position 

He wont make the team camp fodder and maybe practice squad at best

1 hour ago, Scott Pennock said:

Alright bud, guy has never played a game and you have him compared to one of the greatest slot receivers ever 

Get off your high horse

2 hours ago, Coltfreak said:

So he has never played in a regular season game and didn't have any team claim him upon his release and sat on a practice squad for the remainder of the yr .....  and we should compare him to Welker/Amendola/Edelman??????

Everytime a player gets signed this board thinks they just signed the greatest player in the world.....    

It happened with Patrick Robinson most recently when he was brought in to play out of position 

He wont make the team camp fodder and maybe practice squad at best

None of those 3 were highly regarded either and were regarded as "camp fodder" before as well.

Save your crap for a less educated football fan...

You and your ilk can choose to be negative about every signing or you can choose to see it thru the light that they were signed because they just may have some talent to offer. 

2 hours ago, tvturner said:

Alright bud, guy has never played a game and you have him compared to one of the greatest slot receivers ever 

Get off your high horse

None of those slot receivers were thought of very highly upon entering the league and Welker himself bounced from San Diego to Miami to New England before hitting it big.

You Sir, are the one riding on the high horse....

54 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

None of those 3 were highly regarded either and were regarded as "camp fodder" before as well.

You and your ilk can choose to be negative about every signing or you can choose to see it thru the light that they were signed because they just may have some talent to offer. 

Less educated football fan?????   You have no idea who I am so hush!!!  And I didn't say hush BTW

None of those slot receivers were thought of very highly upon entering the league and Welker himself bounced from San Diego to Miami to New England before hitting it big.

You Sir, are the one riding on the high horse....

And when Adams doesn't make the team what then?

And if you would educate yourself on the 3 that you mentioned....  Only Amendola.  Spent anytime on a practice squad.  Welker and Edelman have played from day one on different teams.  So no they are not even close to consider comparable.   

Could he turn out to be a decent player?  Maybe.   But I'd say there is a better than 90% chance he doesnt even make the team....  

23 hours ago, ReMeDy said:

That means we'll get insider looks at the Colts locker room, like he did for the Vikings here. This guy is addicted to v-logs. I'm surprised they even let him keep doing this.

Oh, uhh, yea, some profanities also.

Put on your dang seatbelt

Seems to have some raw talent...long shot to make a difference but WR is probably our weakest group. On the positive....we have a new coach...hopefully one that can turn a piece of coal into a diamond. Eventually one of these moves will pay off...maybe this is the one.

On 2/2/2018 at 9:32 AM, Bubba_Rebel said:

"Give Rodney a chaaaannnce, Give Rodney a chaaaannnce"

On 2/2/2018 at 9:46 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

and I thought Rodney got no respect??

On 2/2/2018 at 10:33 AM, Coltsfan1953 said:

An obscure quote from the movie In Like Flint   "Why are all the bad guys named Rodney"  :panic:

1.Yes please just give me a chance!

2. My dog respects me.

3. I am not a bad guy!

7 hours ago, NFLfan said:

I cannot recall if he did in preseason but he did not return kicks in the regular season. He was expected to return kicks, as he did in college. But he was beat out by McKinnon. 

Here is an article written before the season. It has a highlight video of him in college. We had high hopes for him here but it did not work out. 

http://vikingswire.usatoday.com/2017/06/14/wr-rodney-adams-is-making-push-to-be-vikings-kick-returner/

Thank you for that link. He's got some break away speed. Kind of reminds me of TY a little. I'm thinking more now that he might have been brought in to compete for a job as KR.

3 hours ago, coltsfansince65 said:

Thank you for that link. He's got some break away speed. Kind of reminds me of TY a little. I'm thinking more now that he might have been brought in to compete for a job as KR.

I'm going to feel sad for him if he starts posting v-logs all happy, then later doesn't make the roster, but alas, that's football.

7 minutes ago, ReMeDy said:

I'm going to feel sad for him if he starts posting v-logs all happy, then later doesn't make the roster, but alas, that's football.

its a sign of the times...i don't mind it one bit. On a football note he looks very slippery i kinda like WR like that he's got some wheels on him also USF tends to keep some good prospects each year at the skils

I think it's funny that the one poster on here that has some background on him is a Vikings fan and basically said he has bad hands and the thing he liked about him most was his VLogs....   

Some may want to put him in the same category with some of the greatest slot receivers of all time and yet the guy who knows about him..........   well he likes his VLogs. 

It's like telling your friend about a girl you want him to meet and describing her with having a great personality.   

Thanks for the insite NFL Fan.     Who are you hoping to keep as the Vikes QB next season?

1 hour ago, Coltfreak said:

I think it's funny that the one poster on here that has some background on him is a Vikings fan and basically said he has bad hands and the thing he liked about him most was his VLogs....   

Some may want to put him in the same category with some of the greatest slot receivers of all time and yet the guy who knows about him..........   well he likes his VLogs. 

It's like telling your friend about a girl you want him to meet and describing her with having a great personality.   

Thanks for the insite NFL Fan.     Who are you hoping to keep as the Vikes QB next season?

Actually it’s more akin to telling your friend that you know this girl cuz you had Home room together but never really had a chance to get to know her but her (whatever social media kids use now) profile makes her seem like a match.

C’mon it’s our offseason and we had a crummy year. There are worse things in this world than optimism, even if you disagree with it.

11 hours ago, Coltfreak said:

Smh. Are your posts always this negative? How difficult can it be to be hopeful about a player!

Btw, I did not write that what I liked most about Adams was his vlogs. 

12 hours ago, Coltfreak said:

Who are you hoping to keep as the Vikes QB next season?

I hope we re-sign Teddy Bridgewater if he can play like he used to. I think he is underrated and folks judge him only on stats rather than how he played. He is not on the level of Luck or Rodgers, but he is smart, can read defenses, moved well in the pocket, and was good at situational football. I felt confident that we could win when he was our QB. In addition, he will not command a big contract, as he is coming off a major injury. That is key because we need to extend many of our valued players who otherwise will be playing on expiring contracts (Diggs, Kendricks, Barr, Hunter and others).

Now, if he is damaged goods, I favor going after Cousins, which appears to be what most Vikes fans want now. I like Cousins but he will command much more than I feel comfortable giving him.

18 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Smh. Are your posts always this negative? How difficult can it be to be hopeful about a player!

Btw, I did not write that what I liked most about Adams was his vlogs. 

I hope we re-sign Teddy Bridgewater if he can play like he used to. I think he is underrated and folks judge him only on stats rather than how he played. He is not on the level of Luck or Rodgers, but he is smart, can read defenses, moved well in the pocket, and was good at situational football. I felt confident that we could win when he was our QB. In addition, he will not command a big contract, as he is coming off a major injury. That is key because we need to extend many of our valued players who otherwise will be playing on expiring contracts (Diggs, Kendricks, Barr, Hunter and others).

Now, if he is damaged goods, I favor going after Cousins, which appears to be what most Vikes fans want now. I like Cousins but he will command much more than I feel comfortable giving him.

I assume they won’t try to sign Bradford?  I’m not sure who will. Great QB when he can actually stay on the field.  

I dont know how they can justify letting Keenum go.  

21 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I assume they won’t try to sign Bradford?  I’m not sure who will. Great QB when he can actually stay on the field.  

I dont know how they can justify letting Keenum go.  

If Keenum is asking for $20 million or more per year, that is enough to justify letting him go. I'd rather sign Cousins for $25 million or more per year. Keenum had great results but the process was not good. He was not accurate and he relied a lot on Diggs, Thielen, and Rudolph to bail him out. I went to the Vikes game against Atlanta and Trufant and another defensive back were out. Receivers were repeatedly getting open and Keenum could not see them. He relies on his first read. He is also poor in situational football. I like Keenum's competitiveness and pocket presence but that is not enough. 

Bradford is definitely an all-around better player than Keenum but he plays scared at times. If we had a great OL that he would trust, I think he would play very well. He is accurate and can throw the deep ball.

45 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I feel like Shurmur was an OC that Bridgewater would have thrived under....as opposed to a down the field guy in Norv Turner.  Sucks for him.

26 minutes ago, BOTT said:

I feel like Shurmur was an OC that Bridgewater would have thrived under....as opposed to a down the field guy in Norv Turner.  Sucks for him.

Who knows, but I would have thought TB would have done better than he did with Peterson still playing lights out. His stats and QB rating were mediocre. 22nd ranked QB in 2015. 

7 minutes ago, MPStack said:

Who knows, but I would have thought TB would have done better than he did with Peterson still playing lights out. His stats and QB rating were mediocre. 22nd ranked QB in 2015. 

Peterson was terrible for Bridgewater, who was in his first full season. Peterson did not play "lights out". If you watched Vikings games you would see that. He rushed the ball more than any other RB that year, which allowed him to lead the league in rushing. With Peterson, the Vikes were always in third and long situations. I would say at least 60% of his carries were for 2 yards or less. However, he would get one carry for long yards which would make his stats look good.

For example, I randomly selected 3 games. Here are Peterson's numbers:

Against Denver: 16 for 81, long of 48

Against Kansas City: 26 for 60, long of 23

Against Detroit: 19 for 98, long of 75

In each of those games he ran for fewer than 100 yards. Subtract his longest run and see what his per carry average was. In the Detroit game, it would be 18 carries for 23 yards!!! 

(To be fair, he had better games, including a 200 yard game against the Raiders with one 80 yard run. But he had worse games too.)

This blind fascination with Peterson is absurd. It shows that folks only look at volume numbers rather than how one is actually playing. 

(And I did not mention all those times he fumbled in key situations, including in the playoff game.)

18 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Peterson was terrible for Bridgewater, who was in his first full season. Peterson did not play "lights out". If you watched Vikings games you would see that. He rushed the ball more than any other RB that year, which allowed him to lead the league in rushing. With Peterson, the Vikes were always in third and long situations. I would say at least 60% of his carries were for 2 yards or less. However, he would get one carry for long yards which would make his stats look good.

For example, I randomly selected 3 games. Here are Peterson's numbers:

Against Denver: 16 for 81, long of 48

Against Kansas City: 26 for 60, long of 23

Against Detroit: 19 for 98, long of 75

In each of those games he ran for fewer than 100 yards. Subtract his longest run and see what his per carry average was. In the Detroit game, it would be 18 carries for 23 yards!!! 

(To be fair, he had better games, including a 200 yard game against the Raiders with one 80 yard run. But he had worse games too.)

This blind fascination with Peterson is absurd. It shows that folks only look at volume numbers rather than how one is actually playing. 

(And I did not mention all those times he fumbled in key situations, including in the playoff game.)

Every team's #1 priority was stopping Petersen. With 8 and 9 man fronts you`d think TB would have had more TD`s. To state AP was terrible that year playing against stacked boxes is blind. Your QB was sacked 44 times which is telling. IMO AP carried that team and would have benefited from better QB play. Just my 2 cents! Good day!