Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Who is under more pressure ballard or mcdaniels

CR91

I don't know if Ballard is a guy that feels pressure. He has put, in my opinion, a great staff in the FO around him and I see him as including everyone around him in decisions so I feel he is confident in those decisions and does not feel pressure. 

McDaniels on the other hand may feel pressure but I believe Ballard will help alleviate pressure. McDaniels has a lot to prove coming off his experience in Denver but I have so much confidence in Ballard that he will enable McDaniels' success and they will be very successful together for a long time. 

15 hours ago, JimJaime said:

In retrospect he made a lot of smart moves in Denver.  Trading Cutler was brilliant as it is obvious he sucked now. His issue is he is not the best evaluater of QB talent as he thought Tebow could go in and take his place. 

I agree. Getting rid of Cutty and Marshall were good moves, as Cutty isn't good and Marshall is a headcase. 

I'm not sure why he believed in Tebow.

2 hours ago, TdungyW/12 said:

We all know we were last place because we didn’t have a QB. You bring luck back and we jump straight to the top of the division. Our offense jumps drastically, giving our def more Leniency ..... might have to fight off tenn, and jacks. But, with luck I see the pressure more on the coaching staff to get the scheming done. We’ve waisted too much of lucks time already.  

Which is exactly why Ballard is under more pressure IMO he has GOT to get the right guys for both defense an offense to match scheme. You are right about the offense, to an extent, Colts need more OL help more WR's to fit scheme and IMO 1 a TE & a RB. Tenn, Jack. And you forgot Hou. are all good teams. it will be a dog fight alone to see who SURVIVES the AFC south let alone wins it!

Look, I think you should all pay very close attention to what kind of expectations that Ballard (and Irsay) puts on McDaniels during the first press announcement. That will be very interesting and telling. Will they emphasize a playoff spot in his first season or is the plan to build something strong with time? That will give os some answers.

Logic would suggest Ballard is under more pressure because of this from the article: 

"Ballard will have nearly $85 million in salary-cap space ." 

But to me, realistically hands down it's McDaniels because of what went down in Denver the first HC go round & 2. Brady's not there to clean up mistakes in INDY. 

Josh has to prove that a disciple from the BB coaching tree can actually get another team to a SB. That's his benchmark. 

1 hour ago, Horse Shoe Heaven said:

Which is exactly why Ballard is under more pressure IMO he has GOT to get the right guys for both defense an offense to match scheme. You are right about the offense, to an extent, Colts need more OL help more WR's to fit scheme and IMO 1 a TE & a RB. Tenn, Jack. And you forgot Hou. are all good teams. it will be a dog fight alone to see who SURVIVES the AFC south let alone wins it!

I agree with you on OL .... our 6-7 draft picks after luck should have been all OL .... we should have signed veterans to protect the most important asset on our team .... he’ll Grigson was a lineman wasn’t he? You would think he could pull his head out of his butt and figure this crap out and irsay being a * lately shouldn’t have allowed us to not draft protection for luck. WR’s i agree ... he needs better help, RB yes, TE we need a more proven #2 ..... defense I think would improve DRASTICALLY with Chubb and a pass rush ... 

28 minutes ago, TdungyW/12 said:

we should have signed veterans to protect the most important asset on our team

We did, actually.

2012 - FA C Samson Satele from Raiders, G Mike McGlynn from Bengals

2013 - FA T Gosder Cherilus from Lions, T Donald Thomas from Patriots

It's not that we never addressed the offensive line; it's that the moves we made did not work out that well.  *sad face*

I'm going Ballard. His one year honeymoon is over and he's hitched his wagon to McD, as Irsay would say.

I think McD should be given a little slack in year one. If Chuck didn't get fired on the spot for that awesome 4th down call, McD shouldn't be on the hot seat in year one.

1 hour ago, TdungyW/12 said:

I agree with you on OL .... our 6-7 draft picks after luck should have been all OL .... we should have signed veterans to protect the most important asset on our team .... he’ll Grigson was a lineman wasn’t he? You would think he could pull his head out of his butt and figure this crap out and irsay being a * lately shouldn’t have allowed us to not draft protection for luck. WR’s i agree ... he needs better help, RB yes, TE we need a more proven #2 ..... defense I think would improve DRASTICALLY with Chubb and a pass rush ... 

absolutely correct

45 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

We did, actually.

2012 - FA C Samson Satele from Raiders, G Mike McGlynn from Bengals

2013 - FA T Gosder Cherilus from Lions, T Donald Thomas from Patriots

It's not that we never addressed the offensive line; it's that the moves we made did not work out that well.  *sad face*

2012 free agents sucked, 2013 free agents were nice signs, but injuries derailed both of them!

39 minutes ago, Happy2BeHere said:

I’ve had some more time to think about this. I really think that President Trump is under more pressure. I mean he has pressure from everywhere. I sure wouldn’t want to be in his shoes.

All self inflicted.  No, you wouldn't want to be in his shoes. 

1 hour ago, Happy2BeHere said:

I’ve had some more time to think about this. I really think that President Trump is under more pressure. I mean he has pressure from everywhere. I sure wouldn’t want to be in his shoes.

44 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

All self inflicted.  No, you wouldn't want to be in his shoes. 

Please, let's not even think about politics in this forum. That is a subject that can cause more arguments than anything the Colts do or don't do.

I know I laid into Mcdaniels In Lollygager's thread about what lessons he learned in Denver, but I do like this hire a lot & Josh is due for a breakout yr. I just think Josh is gonna take Andrew's career to another stratosphere by speeding up his reads, using TEs more frequently on crucial downs, & not committing false start penalties so much. 

I don't look it as pressure just find ways to cash in touchdowns & Josh can do that. 

The one thing I am curious to see about Josh is this: His time management skills in the 4th Qtr & halftime adjustments as a HC. INDY has often struggled with halftime modifications to be charitable. We're fine when we've got a lead, but comebacks outside of Manning & Luck in his 1st 3 yrs hasn't always been pretty when we play elite teams. 

I think the pressure is now on Ballard.  He has made his hire.  He has his man now and his wagon is hitched to McDaniels for better or for worse. He will be primarily responsible for the franchise’s direction from here on out.  Hopefully he got this hire right or he could set the franchise back 3-5 more years. 

With a lot of cap room to work with and a top 3 draft position, Ballard has all the tools he needs to make over this roster.  All eyes are now on him to see if he can get it done. 

I just pray that Josh actually answers questions by INDY reporters & not adopt his old boss's mumbling technique/the media knows nothing approach.

This fan base won't tolerate that level of indifference, apathy, or disdain. We want answers & we'll get them eventually one way or another.  We're patient not stupid. We will give you time. Just keep us in the loop as fans & don't insult our intelligence like we are small children. 

Please remember that Josh. Thank you. 

I think none of them will be under heavy pressure... in short term. Media and fans can talk, can panic, whatever they want, but it's ultimately Irsay who hired these guys. And he is knowingly not infuenced by public opinion. Was the media and a fan base loud 2 years ago? Yes. And he gave Pagano and Grigson extensions instead of firing them. 

So i think it doesn't really matter how the Colts will start. The media and fans might go loud after a bad start, but Irsay won't. He'll give these guys at least one, maybe a couple of years together. Unless something crazy happens.

But ... due to the same reasons (e.g., neither of the two will be fired too soon), I believe these 2 guys fates will be tied together. Neither of them will have free pass in lets say 2020. And as much as McDaniels will be responsible for the records, Ballard will be as much responsible for hiring McDaniels, because this hiring was not an ordinary one. Ballard hired a coach, who, probably most GM's (and owners) would've dreamt to hire for a while, but a) they did not have the chance, or b) they did not have the balls to pull the trigger. Ballard took the risk. I love that, but still, it will fall back on him if JMD fails.

31 minutes ago, Peterk2011 said:

I think none of them will be under heavy pressure... in short term. Media and fans can talk, can panic, whatever they want, but it's ultimately Irsay who hired these guys. And he is knowingly not infuenced by public opinion. Was the media and a fan base loud 2 years ago? Yes. And he gave Pagano and Grigson extensions instead of firing them. 

So i think it doesn't really matter how the Colts will start. The media and fans might go loud after a bad start, but Irsay won't. He'll give these guys at least one, maybe a couple of years together. Unless something crazy happens.

But ... due to the same reasons (e.g., neither of the two will be fired too soon), I believe these 2 guys fates will be tied together. Neither of them will have free pass in lets say 2020. And as much as McDaniels will be responsible for the records, Ballard will be as much responsible for hiring McDaniels, because this hiring was not an ordinary one. Ballard hired a coach, who, probably most GM's (and owners) would've dreamt to hire for a while, but a) they did not have the chance, or b) they did not have the balls to pull the trigger. Ballard took the risk. I love that, but still, it will fall back on him if JMD fails.

I agree with your underlying point PK11 that Jimmy has been around a longtime, has his own expectation level of his GM & HC, but Jimmy does care about what this fanbase thinks so, I wouldn't just create the impression that Jimmy doesn't care what we think & take it into account on some level. Nobody is bulletproof. Just ask Andy Reid who never thought Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie would fire him & force him to land in Kansas City. 

I agree with about 80% of what you wrote PK11. I just have a slight issue with your inference that Jimmy doesn't listen to fans who consume his product faithfully every yr. Jimmy listens & pays attention to INDY patrons. 

9 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

I agree with about 80% of what you wrote PK11. I just have a slight issue with your inference that Jimmy doesn't listen to fans who consume his product faithfully every yr. Jimmy listens & pays attention to INDY patrons. 

Yep, maybe "doesn't listen" was a bit too harsh. Let me say it this way: Irsay is one of those owners who's decision making are the least interfered by public opinion. All in all, my point was, that I think both guys are safe for 1, maybe 2 years.

On 1/28/2018 at 7:00 PM, CR91 said:

Neither to be honest, and I only say that because I just don't see Ballard or McDaniels getting axed after, say, an 8-8 year. That'd be a 4 win improvement for Ballard, and a decent showing for McDaniels considering it'd be his first year back handling head coaching duties, and that the offense and defense are both learning new schemes. 

On 1/28/2018 at 10:28 PM, JimJaime said:

In retrospect he made a lot of smart moves in Denver.  Trading Cutler was brilliant as it is obvious he sucked now. His issue is he is not the best evaluater of QB talent as he thought Tebow could go in and take his place. 

Tebow was a big mistake, but that is purely a hindsight type thing. He won a heisman, tremendous athlete, proven winner in college. Never know when a guy is going to be a bust. A lot of organizations have taken bigger swings and misses imo. 

As for the pressure topic, definitly Ballard. He had a couple duds in his first draft, so i think he is looking for redemption there with a completely solid draft this go round. He is making the ultimate decisions for us. McD just needs to be the orchestrator and win games.

On 1/29/2018 at 9:57 PM, southwest1 said:

The one thing I am curious to see about Josh is this: His time management skills in the 4th Qtr & halftime adjustments as a HC. INDY has often struggled with halftime modifications to be charitable. We're fine when we've got a lead, but comebacks outside of Manning & Luck in his 1st 3 yrs hasn't always been pretty when we play elite teams. 

How many 4th quarter leads did we blow in 2017?  Just giving you a hard time :D

In all seriousness, i’ve thought about these same things.  In addition, my fingers are crossed that McD is not the type to get overly conservative and/or predictable with a 2nd half lead.  Safest bet in the house last year: If Pags had a 4th quarter lead we were gonna see string of run-run-pass-punt possessions.

19 hours ago, Peterk2011 said:

Yep, maybe "doesn't listen" was a bit too harsh. Let me say it this way: Irsay is one of those owners who's decision making are the least interfered by public opinion. All in all, my point was, that I think both guys are safe for 1, maybe 2 years.

It's cool. I knew what you meant PK11. It was a very well written post & knew what your driving at. The evaluation clock under this regime really starts ticking in yr 2 not now. I also know that Jimmy trusts his gut on who he hires & he gives them more than enough time to prove themselves as coaches & coordinators. You merely meant that Jimmy doesn't listen to negative nancy's out there expecting too much too soon when our defense isn't good enough yet & our OL needs some tweaking yet. 

I just think Mcdaniels & Ballard will work well together. Josh beat BB in Denver so he isn't afraid of that mystique & Josh threw everything at Jags in order to beat em. I just like how Josh knows if we lose this game it doesn't matter so pull out all the stops. I respect that. You know when you go crap I was saving that play for the SB, but if we get knocked off it won't matter so what the hades let's go for it & end the game right here right now. I love the mindset there. That's what Mcdaniels is bringing to the Colts now. Nice. 

21 hours ago, Gramz said:

Hopefully, no pressure.... just excitement and enthusiasm about working together and moving in the right direction!

I see the pressure is on fans to be patient, support, and back these guys as they bring us back to prominence. It won't happen overnight. I'm ready to do my part.