Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jets open to trading up in the draft

ThorstenDenmark

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000902647/article/jets-mike-maccagnan-open-to-trading-up-to-draft-qb

Well then...

Let´s say they offer us their 6# for our #3, and then give us both their 2nd round picks at #37 and #49, should Ballard take it?

We will still get a great player at #6, so what do you say?

If thats the scenario and they offer us those picks, would you take it? 

3 minutes ago, ThorstenDenmark said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000902647/article/jets-mike-maccagnan-open-to-trading-up-to-draft-qb

Well then...

Let´s say they offer us their 6# for our #3, and then give us both their 2nd round picks at #37 and #49, should Ballard take it?

Not sure of the trade value chart, but that sounds pretty solid, especially if both 2nds are this year.

So if that was the offer then yes, I would think the Colts should take it.  But that won't be the offer.  That is too much value to move up 3 spots.  It would be more like the Colts 1st and 3rd for the Jets 1st and both 2nds.  Or the Colts first and a player.

So in that scenario it's a bit more difficult because the Colts are moving out of the Top5 and only picking up 1 additional draft pick. So then it depends on who the Colts want at 3 and if they think he will be there at 6.

I'd make them give us their 6th overall, and two 2nd rounders and then I'd make the deal. Then with the 6th overall pick, I'd take either Fitzpatrick, Barkley, or Chubb, in that order. If all three are gone, I'll take Quenton Nelson. 

Then I'd possibly even try to move back into the 1st round by using the additional 2nd rounders to make a move on getting ILB Roquan Smith if he lasts to the mid-late 1st round. 

18 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

So if that was the offer then yes, I would think the Colts should take it.  But that won't be the offer.  That is too much value to move up 3 spots.  It would be more like the Colts 1st and 3rd for the Jets 1st and both 2nds.  Or the Colts first and a player.

So in that scenario it's a bit more difficult because the Colts are moving out of the Top5 and only picking up 1 additional draft pick. So then it depends on who the Colts want at 3 and if they think he will be there at 6.

It's not too much value if they are bidding against DEN. More realistic would be (#37 + 4th rounder) OR (#49 + #70).

But honestly, I would make the trade for pick #37 today if I could get it. Would love to have back-to-back picks at the of round 2. You could get the best RB and WR on the board...or possibly a good OL player that slipped.

32 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Thank you coffee. This would be the one situation, IMO, where I think we could get that value, IF the exact QB the Jets wanted were there. A lot would have to go right though.

Yup. I'd be all over that deal for the Colts, and if somehow the Jets have a QB they still like on the board, they should be all over it as well.

14 minutes ago, a06cc said:

You and I have been agree on a lot lately. What would you do with 3 2nd rounders?

To be honest with you, I've not yet looked into it.  There's so much that changes between the 6th pick and the 4th pick in round 2 that I've not yet mocked that out.  I'd probably go BPA on all 3 of those, with 3 of them, pretty high chance we can get a couple that are in positions of need as well. 

2 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

I'd make them give us their 6th overall, and two 2nd rounders and then I'd make the deal. Then with the 6th overall pick, I'd take either Fitzpatrick, Barkley, or Chubb, in that order. If all three are gone, I'll take Quenton Nelson. 

Then I'd possibly even try to move back into the 1st round by using the additional 2nd rounders to make a move on getting ILB Roquan Smith if he lasts to the mid-late 1st round. 

I think in a scenario where the Cotls trade back with the NYJ, they will be guaranteed to have at least one of Chubb/Fitzpatrick available. The NYJ, the NYG and CLE would have likely all taken QBs by then...leaving the Colts with the "3rd pick" of the "non-QB draft." 

And I would also add James and Key to that list of prospects as well. Getting one of those top defensive players...PLUS additional early day two picks would be huge for this team. In that scenario, they could rebuild nearly the entire offense in one offseason...and add tons of draft talent on the defensive side.

Assuming Barkley won't be there after a trade back (he wouldn't be), give me one of Chubb/Fitzpatrick/James/Key (whichever one Ballard has BPA) and then crush offense on day two (RB, WR, OL x2)...and then stockpile defensive talent on day 3 (ILB x2, OLB, CB).

This, of course, is after they have have signed two good OL FAs, a legit FA WR, re-signed Melvin, an ILB that cover, another disruptive DL player (or possibly trade for one) and some depth at other positions (RB, TE).

Has that trade chart been relatively accurate?  And I wonder if the values change dramatically with strong or weak classes.   For example if there are 10 blue chippers in a draft against a draft that has 15 or value drop offs at certain stages.  

Just now, Fluke_33 said:

Has that trade chart been relatively accurate?  And I wonder if the values change dramatically with strong or weak classes.   For example if there are 10 blue chippers in a draft against a draft that has 15 or value drop offs at certain stages.  

I believe the trade chart values are the minimum value of each pick. If the top prospect at that pick is a QB it will likely go up. For example the #1 pick in 2012 when we took Luck was worth much much more than last years #1 pick that took Garrett but that pick still would be worth close to 3000 on the chart.

I'd do that deal in a heartbeat.  But why would the Jets move up to 3 at that cost?  Mayfield?  Allen?  I could understand if the Browns or Giants don't take a QB.  The whole group between the Dolphins at 11, to the Bengals, Redskins, and then Cardinals at 15 could all be looking for QBs, so I suppose it would be to protect against them leap-frogging the 6th pick.  But man, if they move up to 3 to take a Mayfield or Allen...  

59 minutes ago, Luck 4 president said:

I believe the trade chart values are the minimum value of each pick. If the top prospect at that pick is a QB it will likely go up. For example the #1 pick in 2012 when we took Luck was worth much much more than last years #1 pick that took Garrett but that pick still would be worth close to 3000 on the chart.

More like average value. But yes, they can go up if there's a QB rich draft. 2012 and 2017 draft trades at the top were so costly because of that. But 2013 were the opposite, it was much cheaper ro move up because there were no top QB prospects and thus lesser demand.

I've seen a lot of Browns fans say they think/hope they'll grab Barkley #1 overall and just take a QB falls to them at #4.

Our pick would be that much more valuable with one of Rosen/Darnold left on the board by the #3. I'd think NYJ or Denver would want to jump Cleveland for one of those two pretty badly.

4 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

I've seen a lot of Browns fans say they think/hope they'll grab Barkley #1 overall and just take a QB falls to them at #4.

Our pick would be that much more valuable with one of Rosen/Darnold left on the board by the #3. I'd think NYJ or Denver would want to jump Cleveland for one of those two pretty badly.

If Cleveland wants one of those two QBs, I highly doubt they would risk it, especially after last year.

10 minutes ago, #12. said:

It depends on which QB they want, I suppose, but if Darnold and Rosen go 1 & 2, and they want one of the two, I doubt they would risk it.

Yup. Again this is all brought to you by eager Browns fans who really want Barkley + Jackson/Mayfield. They seem to all think Barkley would be gone by #4 but we're the only real threat to take him, it seems like.

Their FO could very well be set on drafting one of Darnold/Rosen, probably Darnold after the rumors Rosen doesn't want to go to Cleveland.

5 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Wow.  We've had about as much activity on this board about coaches and drafts five days after the season ended than we had about the games themselves for four months.

It's because most people know we can be Good next year with bringing in a new Coach and our Draft options. Also just knowing Luck will be back will make us popular again. Everyone knows had we had him we would've been a 10-6 team with the schedule we had.

What if the Browns really want Barkley and swap picks with us and give us their 2nd. Then the Jets or Broncos trade up to secure the 3rd QB and throw in their 2nd. Then we would have the #6 pick and 3 high 2nd rounders. Take Chubb then trade 2 of the picks to get back into the 1st round and take Roquan Smith, then take Billy Price with our remaining 2nd. I can only dream haha

2 minutes ago, Luck 4 president said:

What if the Browns really want Barkley and swap picks with us and give us their 2nd. Then the Jets or Broncos trade up to secure the 3rd QB and throw in their 2nd. Then we would have the #6 pick and 3 high 2nd rounders. Take Chubb then trade 2 of the picks to get back into the 1st round and take Roquan Smith, then take Billy Price with our remaining 2nd. I can only dream haha

Ballard would win executive of the year before the season even began.

But really, somehow getting Chubb and Roquan would be crazy.

If Cleveland covets Barkley enough to trade up from 4th to 3rd to acquire him after they draft one of the top 2 QBs with their 1st overall pick, they'd probably have to give up pick #33 or #36 as compensation.

The other QB-needy teams will still want to trade up to the 4th spot in order to get their preferred choice of the remaining top QBs.  In this ideal scenario, the Colts could trade down twice in the first round and still be in high enough position to get an elite pass rusher or OL stud.

3 hours ago, ThorstenDenmark said:

Well then...

Yes.

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

By the Jets saying this, they also make Denver think about trading up.  Cleveland's #4 is a target, unless two teams want QBs.

We could end up with a bidding war for the #3. Some team may be willing to "sell the farm" in order to get their future starting QB. This draft is looking very promising! 

2 hours ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Proof that Browns fans are dumb.