Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pagano was 63-53 in 6 years

oldunclemark

48 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Pagano and Caldwell were good coaches....Pagano won more than he lost.

No one is a mirror image of anyone else. That's simple-minded

Everyone's record against premier teams is bad because they are....well...premier teams...

You'll want the next coach gone by October. That's the way we are

Actually Pagano doesn't have the winning record that you think he has... just looked it up, people give him credit for the 2012 season but officially he only coached 2 games, was sidelined the night before the 9/23/2012 jags game. Arians took over for the remainder of that season. Pagano would not be at practice again until 12/23/2012.

so that said, Paganos coaching record that year is 1-1, NOT 11-5. Which means he made the playoffs just 2 years out of 5 where he coached a full season.  

thus dropping his career record to 43-39 , 

All this is moot anyway, he's gone . MOVE on

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to nit pick....

But can we please change the headline?   The math is totally wrong.

Pagano's record is 53-43.   6 seasons, 16 games per year.    96 games.

63-53 is not even close.

53-43 is correct.    

A little help please?  Someone?  Anyone?

I think Chuck will land a job as a DC, and get a chance to make a name for himself in that capacity. Like here, some of his fate will be tied to the Personnel Director he's paired with. Success and additional experience from a good run could get him back in a HC conversation down the road. Those best case scenarios could still play out.

Lessons from his Colts tenure should be (but are not limited to):

Coordinators matter.

Clock management matters. 

Game planning matters.

Personnel decisions matter.

It's a climb to the top, and the overwhelming majority don't make it - high performance matters.

Best advice I can give Chuck is: "keep chopping wood".

2 minutes ago, Douzer said:

I think Chuck will land a job as a DC, and get a chance to make a name for himself in that capacity. Like here, some of his fate will be tied to the Personnel Director he's paired with. Success and additional experience from a good run could get him back in a HC conversation down the road. Those best case scenarios could still play out.

Lessons from his Colts tenure should be (but are not limited to):

Coordinators matter.

Clock management matters. 

Game planning matters.

Personnel decisions matter.

It's a climb to the top, and the overwhelming majority don't make it - high performance matters.

Best advice I can give Chuck is: "keep chopping wood".

It was a good statement till the end.

Just had to be insulting when there is really no need to.

Just now, crazycolt1 said:

It was a good statement till the end.

Just had to be insulting when there is really no need to.

I don't mean it as an insult. I like the saying and it applies to anyone who really wants to succeed.  

1 minute ago, Douzer said:

I don't mean it as an insult. I like the saying and it applies to anyone who really wants to succeed.  

Sure you did. That saying has been a long standing joke for quite a while.

At least Chuck shows class and that is better than a lot in here has.

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

Sure you did. That saying has been a long standing joke for quite a while.

At least Chuck shows class and that is better than a lot in here has.

It has upset me as well, to see that phrase used against him. But I took Douzer to mean it from a place of respect. 

22 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

It has upset me as well, to see that phrase used against him. But I took Douzer to mean it from a place of respect. 

I hope so. I will respect he just used a bad choice of words.

Pagano was fired like most wanted and showed a lot of class and IMO he deserves a little respect no matter what some might think.

3 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

In 2014 the Colts went 11-5 and lost to the Pats in the AFC Championship game. A bad coach would have never done what he did in 2014.

Brian billick went to a superbowl one time and won does that make him an all time great coach? No plus the colts got blown out in that game that's not good coaching

Chuck needs a break, he pretty much came straight back to coaching after his cancer!

He is clearly passionate and has his heart in the right place but the guy needs to have a break for his own health going forward.

I wish him well for the future. His teams beat some pretty handy teams with some pretty damn good QB’s in his tenure, Patriots and Steelers the only exceptions.

Love for your coach is important, but the question becomes does he make the team better and honestly no. Posters have mentioned numerous times Chuck's shortcomings and it's unfortunate because Chuck is great human and coach, but just not the right man to get us to the promise land

2 hours ago, Boomstick1 said:

2017 Colts:

-31st in total offense

-32nd in sacks allowed

-31st in red zone offense

-30th in points scored

-30th in total defense

-29th in sacks

-31st on third down

-30th in points allowed

can we move on

When you put it like that maybe they were lucky to win 4 games. Really, if Jimmy was QBing SF we would have been blown out . Watson gets hurt , we get 2 wins, otherwise 2 losses surely.  Browns had them on the ropes and blew it.  

1 hour ago, VaAllDay757 said:

Brian billick went to a superbowl one time and won does that make him an all time great coach? No plus the colts got blown out in that game that's not good coaching

So Pagano is fired and all you want to do is harp on the past?  Hand pick and overlook?  Knock yourself out.

1 hour ago, CR91 said:

Love for your coach is important, but the question becomes does he make the team better and honestly no. Posters have mentioned numerous times Chuck's shortcomings and it's unfortunate because Chuck is great human and coach, but just not the right man to get us to the promise land

Posters have mentioned what they think are Chucks shortcomings.

..and none of his attributes and accomplishments.

We fired a winning coach.....that's the record 

It was just time to move on. Chuck was 2-2 in 2012 (Arians 9-3).

2013 Chuck 11-5

2014 Chuck 11-5

2015 Chuck 8-8

2016 Chuck 8-8

2017 Chuck 4-12

His correct record is actually 44-40 and 3-3 in the Playoffs. Having said that I thought his 1st 4 seasons were Good to Very Good. Even in 2015 going 8-8 was a complete miracle with Luck missing 9 games and Coaching 5 different QB's. His 2013 and 2014 seasons speak for themselves. Where he lost me was in 2016. We had no business not winning the Division, if we beat Houston in Indy we win the Division and we lost that game with Andrew playing. That was where I quit defending him. This season was a throw away season in reality with Andrew being out. So I can see why we waited another season before starting fresh with a new HC. Having said all of that I wish Chuck the best of luck, he was a huge part of this organization for 6 seasons.

28 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Posters have mentioned what they think are Chucks shortcomings.

We fired a winning coach.....that's the record 

The colts fired a winning GM....that's the record.

43 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Probably because there are very few attributes and accomplishments. His biggest accomplishment was getting the team to the AFC Championship once, and even then the Colts got killed in that game.

Over his tenure the Colts o line was just beyond awful. Player development was lacking. The Colts got blown out more than any other team. Couldn't beat the Steelers and Patriots. For a guy who is known as a defensive genius, the Colts were pretty much bottom of the league in defense every year. He was terrible at clock management ( a lot of coaches are for whatever reason, but Pagano was never good at it). Slow starts plagued the Colts every year. This year there were many second half collapses. Havent made the playoffs in three straight years.

He was a good guy and nobody will deny that, but as a coach he was mediocre at best. He certainly wasn't going to take the Colts to the Super Bowl, hell we couldnt even make the playoffs with him right now.

10 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

So Pagano is fired and all you want to do is harp on the past?  Hand pick and overlook?  Knock yourself out.

Uh that's why pagano was fired because of his past mistakes there were way too many....it doesn't matter what you say he just wasn't good enough

1 minute ago, VaAllDay757 said:

Uh that's why pagano was fired because of his past mistakes there were way too many....it doesn't matter what you say he just wasn't the good enough

So keep crying about it if it makes you feel good. Like I said. Knock yourself out.

4 hours ago, VaAllDay757 said:

I'm not crying about it you quote me first so obviously it bothered you lol I'm glad he's gone

Good for you. He is gone. And you bring up Brian Billick?  You dig deep just to insult for no reason. Besides, Billick has a ring so I guess he was good enough.

22 hours ago, lester said:

and he was unable to adjust.

This is the main dig on Pagano for me personally. In-game adjustments under his watch were as rare as unicorn sightings. He mostly seemed out of his depth on the sidelines. Super likable human being, but “not quite there” in the ability department. 

5 minutes ago, GoColtsWin said:

This is the main dig on Pagano for me personally. In-game adjustments under his watch were as rare as unicorn sightings. He mostly seemed out of his depth on the sidelines. Super likable human being, but “not quite there” in the ability department. 

During Paganos first 3 years in game adjustments were thought to be one of his best attributes while Indy and Seattle were dominating the league in games won in 4th qtr . It's crazy just how quick perception can change in this I want it now era . 

I can appreciate your view. And for the record, i’m not a Mallinial(Retired Army). A healthy Luck won those comebacks for the most part. If Coach’s strongsuit/wins we’re because of his ability to adjust, why the falloff for the last cpl of years. How’s it possible he didn’t improve an already strong coaching trait, but regress, I personally think it’s an honest question. And i’ll reiterate that i’m in 

On 1/2/2018 at 10:19 AM, B~Town said:

During Paganos first 3 years in game adjustments were thought to be one of his best attributes while Indy and Seattle were dominating the league in games won in 4th qtr . It's crazy just how quick perception can change in this I want it now era . 

no way bashing the mans character.

19 hours ago, Boomstick1 said:

2017 Colts:

-31st in total offense

-32nd in sacks allowed

-31st in red zone offense

-30th in points scored

-30th in total defense

-29th in sacks

-31st on third down

-30th in points allowed

can we move on

Yes we can but the numbers you spew up are IMO related to a poor offense not moving the ball. The Colts defense was on the field a lot! Not all the offences fault but there is blame there.

I liked Pagano, he is an emotional coach who I think was good not great. Ballard and Irsay, are looking to build something here and I believe they want a good X/O's type of guy who can develop young guys and be a leader. They want something new. Hope its the right decision, based on this year the bars pretty low for improvement as far as wins and loss's. As far as being a great coach, that reminds to be seen!

3 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Good for you. He is gone. And you bring up Brian Billick?  You dig deep just to insult for no reason. Besides, Billick has a ring so I guess he was good enough.

Insult what? You brought up him going to an afc championship where belichick made him looked clueless like I said he's fired for a reason

3 hours ago, VaAllDay757 said:

Insult what? You brought up him going to an afc championship where belichick made him looked clueless like I said he's fired for a reason

So what? Look, if all you want to do is bring up stuff that has been harped on a thousand times just carry on by yourself.

On 1/1/2018 at 11:17 AM, oldunclemark said:

Maybe not but the locker room Sunday has to make you wonder about what fans know..

.....Apparently there was no such outpouring of emotion in the other locker rooms of fired (or to be fired) coaches

Firing a winning coach who is loved by his players is a gamble

So you would have preferred he was retained? 

I like (not) how creative we are to find different ways to discuss (or argue) the same topics... over and over.

None of these points matter- neither side.  Chuck is gone. No, really he is no longer our coach.  Just as so many of you wanted... Merry Christmas!  Deservedly or not he is gone.  

We (the Colts that is) are moving on so why can't we (the forum) move on?  No reason to continue debating whether he was/ is a good coach or not, it has nothing to do with where we are heading.  Living in the past is unhealthy.

Seriously, I really don't understand why this is still conversation worthy.  Carry on if you must, just had to get my .02 in.

My vote is to merge or lock the thread.  It serves no purpose at this point.