Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Back Up Qb

GoColts8818

With all the things up in the air right now with Peyton's health and the chance he wont be back next season and us looking at drafting Andrew Luck that got me thinking who would you want as Luck's or RG3's back up QB?

I don't think the Colts are going to fly with Painter as the number two and I believe Orlovsky is a free agent and while clearly the Colts could bring him back if they want too I am sure they wouldn't mind exploring other options.

So let's just put the Peyton arguement aside for a moment and just say for whatever reason he isn't a Colt next season and we draft Luck or RG3 what QB on the market would you like to see the Colts bring in to back up them up?

With all the things up in the air right now with Peyton's health and the chance he wont be back next season and us looking at drafting Andrew Luck that got me thinking who would you want as Luck's or RG3's back up QB?

I don't think the Colts are going to fly with Painter as the number two and I believe Orlovsky is a free agent and while clearly the Colts could bring him back if they want too I am sure they wouldn't mind exploring other options.

So let's just put the Peyton arguement aside for a moment and just say for whatever reason he isn't a Colt next season and we draft Luck or RG3 what QB on the market would you like to see the Colts bring in to back up them up?

I know I don't want Collins or McNabb.

Maybe Orton?

I know I don't want Collins or McNabb.

Maybe Orton?

I saw someone listed Orton as the second best QB on the market behind Manning on NBC's football show that airs on cable. I don't know if he's the second best (I think that's Flynn) but Orton probably isn't that far down the list and is probably going to be looking for a place to go where he can at least compete for the starting job and I don't Indy is that place.

I saw someone listed Orton as the second best QB on the market behind Manning on NBC's football show that airs on cable. I don't know if he's the second best (I think that's Flynn) but Orton probably isn't that far down the list and is probably going to be looking for a place to go where he can at least compete for the starting job and I don't Indy is that place.

Orton has much more game experience than Flynn.

I'm not sure where he may go to get a chance to compete for a starting job. His recent career thus far has been backing up Tebow (after losing the starting job) and subbing for Cassel and that other forgettable QB in Kansas City.

Orton has much more game experience than Flynn.

I'm not sure where he may go to get a chance to compete for a starting job. His recent career thus far has been backing up Tebow (after losing the starting job) and subbing for Cassel and that other forgettable QB in Kansas City.

yes but I would also argue that what little has been seen of Flynn he has been extremely impressive to the point I think a team is going to be more than willing to give him a shot at starting. I am not talking about the Colts singing Flynn I think that makes zero sense just to be clear. I was just talking in terms of the QBs that are going to be on the open market.

Orton is one of those QBs that is a boarder line guy. Very much like Jim Harbaugh was here in the middle 90's. He's probably a high end back up but if you put him on the right team he can be a starter. Either way guys like that tend to not like going to some place where they know they aren't going to have a chance to be the starter. If we are looking at starting the rookie next year which I think we are I don't think Orton is going to want to come to Indy where he doesn't at least have a chance to compete for a starting job. I think a place like the Redskins, Seahawks, Doliphins would be what he's probably looking for. If he can't there I think a place like the 49ers might interest him because while Smith will be the guy going in there is a chance that Smith will struggle and he'll get a chance if you are going to be a back up I'd much rather be a back up for a team that was a game away from Super Bowl last year than the team that was 2-14 and had the top pick in the draft. I wouldn't even rule out a team like the Jets, Jags, Browns (depending on what happensin the drft), or Vikings because while they might have a young QB in place those QBs all look a little shakey.

As for me, I wouldn't skratch of Orlovsky from the list of backup QBs. He's surprised us (at least me) delivering 2 wins and acting lik a QB. Manning's retirement wouldn't free big portion of salary cap, according to StampedeBlue (I don't know how the Cap is calculated), so I don't know if we could sign a QB as backup.

Fact, that Orlovsy isn't an over average QB yet, but if coaching staff put more effort into developing him, he could be a good backup.

I don't know any available QBs fitting in our roster, I wouldn't like to see Colts drafting an other close-to-retirement QB.

Cutting Curtis Painter should have been at the top of Grigson's to-do-list. He's horrible and is no where near an NFL QB.

I'd be weary of Matt Flynn in any other system other than the West Coast Offense and he's not going to come here with Luck in play.

I doubt Kyle Orton would come here with Luck in play either. Right or wrong, some of these guys feel they should be starters in the NFL, and he'd likely rather go to Washington and compete with Grossman than back up Luck, or play for a short period if Luck doesn't start from day 1.

I get the feeling that Orlovsky would put himself like a Kyle Orton and would prefer a situation where he has a better shot of playing. Washington/Seattle etc.

With that said, I"m not sure Orlovsky has enough experience to fit the veteran backup that would be ideal for Luck. Similar to the Mark Brunell/Mark Sanchez situation in New York. Jake Delhomme would be a good one from that viewpoint, he's been around the game, knows how to work, watch film etc, but if he's forced into playing then there are issues.

Charlie Batch/Byron Leftwich could be options(I'm not 100% sure of their contract status), but either one would be fairly decent due to their time in the Arians offense, and could be an okay short term replacement should Luck get injured and miss a small amount of time in year one.

I'd look for a QB3 being another young rookie, likely being a UDFA, and then a camp arm that might end up on the practice squad.

Assuming Manning is not here...we need to draft 2 QBs..(a starter and a project) and I'd stay with Orlovsky...as the No. 2

Orton or Flynn probably wouldnt come to Indy as a backup...

Orlovasky has now started what 16 NFL games...?

He's what you want as a backup...and he knows our receivers...

If Orlovsky were to stay it would be only if his contract is cheap and incentive filled.

Kyle Orton was great the year he filled in for Grossman and was a good leader in Denver, would cost too much.

Jake Delhomme could excel in the right system, maybe Indianapolis.

Brady Quinn might be a better fit, saw him play at ND--he has tools.

If Orlovsky were to stay it would be only if his contract is cheap and incentive filled.

Kyle Orton was great the year he filled in for Grossman and was a good leader in Denver, would cost too much.

Jake Delhomme could excel in the right system, maybe Indianapolis.

Brady Quinn might be a better fit, saw him play at ND--he has tools.

I don't think incentive laden contracts work very well for backup QBs.

A QB's name that is never brought up... Kellen Moore from Boise St. Most of you probably do not see him much, but he is going to be great, he will be one of the biggest sleeper picks in the draft. Im my book its a toss up between him and Luck, they both have the same qualities, very smart, very very accurate, doesn't get rattled, and he is way better than RG3. Holds many college records, most wins by a QB. and always played great, and always won against the hyped up "big" colleges when they could get one scheduled. i.e. VT, Georgia.

I would like to draft a QB in the 4th round in 2 years, and make him the eventual backup to Luck.

If I had to choose an NFL QB now to backup Luck in the future, I would like an experienced (not old) guy to back him up. Wouldn't mind a guy like Orton, or Shaun Hill.

I think the best solution is to get someone with NFL experience and a rookie. When it comes to the rookie, I think one of those that are too small to get a serious look for a starter (for example Russell Wilson or Kellen Moore). Because then you get a QB in the later rounds or as UDFA that has a better talent than their draft position suggests, and that maybe are ok with being the number 2 QB for a while. You also need the experienced NFL QB besides the two rookies just in case, and to help them. I don’t have the knowledge to come up with a concrete proposal for who the experienced QB could be.

Well if Peyton re-signs for less after being released we will only have a 3rd string QB vacancy to fill. In that case Im comfortable with Painter as the # 3.

If Peyton is released and signs elsewhere, I think we should just let Orlovsky and Painter battle it out to back up Luck for the # 2 spot if they are brought back.

Well if Peyton re-signs for less after being released we will only have a 3rd string QB vacancy to fill. In that case Im comfortable with Painter as the # 3.

If Peyton is released and signs elsewhere, I think we should just let Orlovsky and Painter battle it out to back up Luck for the # 2 spot if they are brought back.

Painter shouldn't have a chance to be on this team.

Chad Henne, Brady Quinn, Dan Orlovsky.

All for pretty cheap obviously.

Quinn would be good. Hes still young. But I wonder if hes willing to sit after the Denver situation. His recent comments obviously reflect he thought he should have been starting in Denver. Seems hed rather go where he has a chance to start or at least has a fair chance to compete to start.

Orvlovsky. I mean he already knows 5% of the playbook. That should count for something

While I am sure we will not completely throw out the old playbook; I would think given the change in staff and players there will be some significant changes made to it.

Orvlovsky is a no brainer. I doubt he asks for much more than last season, I would be fine with giving him a reasonable raise. As far as bigger name FAs like Orton and Quinn, no thanks to either. They will want too much money and both want to be in situations where they have a chance to start. Batch and Dixon might not be horrible options either as #3 guys, once again depending on the price, but it shouldn't be high. Remember if Luck is the starter the only way he gets benched is from injury. This team is not planning on contending next year and Luck should be starting his entire first season.