Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Who would coach us if pagano is fired??

Trace Pyott

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 hours ago, Trace Pyott said:

Today was as bad as I've ever seen the colts look and with changes made to the personale, assistant coaches and even gm this team still looks horrible. I put it all on pagano nevermind the 2 games he personally lost us last year with horrible time mgmt and slow starts. Today not challenging the early touchdown was absolutely inexcusable. I was fuming. I am actually beginning to have an unhealthy dislike for

the man. Every time I see him on our sideline  with his clueless look on his face I just cringe. Anyways, do teams always go to an in house coach to run the team after a head coach is fired and make him an interim head coach?  So if that's the case it would most likely be philbin or chud god forbid? Or, is there still a good chance that Ballard could get his guy ( I can't off the top of my head remember his name)  if and only because it's still so early in the season?  I say we do it now because let's face it, it's inevitable and should of been done last year or even before. So will it be an assistant coach with the colts currently, or someone new??

Chud in the interim.

1 minute ago, Grigson's Gaffes said:

Does anyone think Pagano gets a job as a HC in the league again if he gets fired here? Grigson will most assuredly never have his own team again. Pretty telling if, at a time when he could have hired anyone in the league, Irsay hired two unknowns who never even landed similar positions again, no?

I don't see it

Just now, Grigson's Gaffes said:

Does anyone think Pagano gets a job as a HC in the league again if he gets fired here? Grigson will most assuredly never have his own team again. Pretty telling if, at a time when he could have hired anyone in the league, Irsay hired two unknowns who never even landed similar positions again, no?

No, and you're right.  Pretty irresponsible to bring in a "franchise QB" under the leadership of two guys who had no experience at their respective positions and, as it turns out, have no business being n those positions.  Unfortunately, Mr. Luck was TOO good too soon for Irsay to notice.  And those decisions will set this team back until at least 2020 IMHO.

I've got a somewhat out-there prediction. Pagano gets fired midseason (maybe even earlier), and Ballard promotes...

Gary Emanuel, current defensive line coach.

When a head coach gets fired midseason, the gm or president or whoever doesn't usually like to promote someone who was buddy-buddy with the former head coach, as they obviously want things done differently. Emanuel is the only coach who's been with the Colts since 2012, and while he is a Pagano hire, he doesn't have an extensive background with Chuck like Philbin, Chud, Monachino, and all them do. He's been vital to the development of Henry Anderson, David Parry, and getting the most out of veterans such as Langford, and now Hankins and Woods. I think we can all agree that the biggest (only?) bright spot of Sunday's game was the d-line's stiffness against the run.

Now I could be completely off on this prediction. Philbin's the current Assistant Head Coach, and he and Chud have previous head coaching experience, so either of them could get the nod. I'm just saying this prediction does at least somewhat line up with the trends.

1 hour ago, Moe said:

Short term?

Yes.....     the question was about who would coach the Colts if/when Pagano is fired before the end of this season.

So,  it would in all likely hood be someone already on the staff.    The two on the staff with previous experience as HC's are Philbin and Chud,  so they'd be the probable candidates.

But as for 18 and beyond,  neither of those two would be appropriate.    Someone fresh and from outside the franchise would be the choice.

3 hours ago, Bubbz said:

Because no college coach has ever said anything similar??

Because you have to understand why Stanford is different than other places....

I'm not saying it's the best place to coach.

I'm saying it's the best place for Shaw to coach until his kids are out of school and out on their own.

He's got the best gig in the country.      He makes millions to coach 85 kids that he'd love to have as his own sons.

It's his alma mater.     His wife loves the Bay Area.     His family lives near by.      He's under almost no pressure from the administration.     He can go 8-4 and never hear a negative word from his bosses.     No one is going to ask him why he hasn't won a conference title or a national championship.     It's as good a gig as their is.

And he can go to the NFL in 10 years when he's in his early 50's and still scratch that itch....

Look,  nothing is a 100% dead lock certainty.     He could wake up in January and say he wants the job.    Who knows?

But as safe bets go,  this is as safe a bet as there is.

And fans here would hate him in one year.    Two years tops.      He's just not an NFL coach.

Irsay said Pagano is our guy for 2017-2018 season.  When he says that, I think he means that.  And I also think Ballard would to have had one of those reality checks with Irsay long ago.  "Jim, this team is ummm, a dumpster fire with oxygen pumped in at high velocity.  I would like to shake the loose acorns off the tree and gut this Grigson fail, you in Jim?"

I think Pagano's acorn stem is getting pretty weak

47 minutes ago, chrisfarley said:

Irsay said Pagano is our guy for 2017-2018 season.  When he says that, I think he means that.  And I also think Ballard would to have had one of those reality checks with Irsay long ago.  "Jim, this team is ummm, a dumpster fire with oxygen pumped in at high velocity.  I would like to shake the loose acorns off the tree and gut this Grigson fail, you in Jim?"

I think Pagano's acorn stem is getting pretty weak

I felt the same way up until he gave away our first TD of the season. 

Won't happen now - different situation......  but once Bob Irsay had GM Bob Thomas fire Howard Schnellenberger, because he wouldn't play Bert Jones instead of Marty Domres.  Thomas asked Irsay: who do I make the coach?  Irsay told him- they're your players, you hired them, you coach them, or I'll hire someone to do Your Job.... 

19 hours ago, AZColt11 said:

No, and you're right.  Pretty irresponsible to bring in a "franchise QB" under the leadership of two guys who had no experience at their respective positions and, as it turns out, have no business being n those positions.  Unfortunately, Mr. Luck was TOO good too soon for Irsay to notice.  And those decisions will set this team back until at least 2020 IMHO.

Unfortunately I think your prediction is spot on, unless this season turns into a nightmare reminiscent of 2011 and the Colts end up with a top 5 pick, which they're able to trade to a QB needy team for a boatload of picks...That could jump start the process. I still to this day can't believe Irsay green lighted the spending spree Grigson went on for former Eagles and Andre Johnson. It's still unfathomable that a man in that position could spend that much money and have absolutely nothing to show for it. Trent Cole, man. Even I knew that was going to be a terrible signing from the get go. Don't get me started on Todd Herremans.

1 hour ago, HOF19 said:

WELL THERE IS THIS >>>>>>>>>Colin Cowherd outlines 10 reasons why Jim Harbaugh will leave the University of Michigan to be the Indianapolis Colts head coach http://www.msn.com/en-us/video/watch/10-reasons-why-jim-harbaugh-will-be-the-indianapolis-colts-head-coach/vp-AArPuTo

He convinced me, and I hope it happens.

On 9/11/2017 at 8:21 AM, BlueShoe said:

After thinking about this a little...

There's a retread coach most of us would be very happy with. 

I am not sold that Jon Gruden would ever want to come back to coaching. He is 54 so his window is closing more every year. 

If he did come back then he could have Luck, and he has never had a quarterback like that. It would be an opportunity of a lifetime for him. 

I doubt it happens, but I do believe it would work out very well.

He'd be popular. I don't want him. 

4 hours ago, Superman said:

He'd be popular. I don't want him. 

You know anything about rick Dennison?  In terms of has he ever had any HC consideration and/or expressed an interest?

I'm figuratively fiending for someone from that shannahan/kubiak tree. 

I think its becoming a minor obsession. Lol

27 minutes ago, J@son said:

You know anything about rick Dennison?  In terms of has he ever had any HC consideration and/or expressed an interest?

I'm figuratively fiending for someone from that shannahan/kubiak tree. 

I think its becoming a minor obsession. Lol

I've never paid any attention to him, but he's interviewed before. I'll be paying attention to the Bills offense this year.