Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Who would coach us if pagano is fired??

Trace Pyott

Today was as bad as I've ever seen the colts look and with changes made to the personale, assistant coaches and even gm this team still looks horrible. I put it all on pagano nevermind the 2 games he personally lost us last year with horrible time mgmt and slow starts. Today not challenging the early touchdown was absolutely inexcusable. I was fuming. I am actually beginning to have an unhealthy dislike for

the man. Every time I see him on our sideline  with his clueless look on his face I just cringe. Anyways, do teams always go to an in house coach to run the team after a head coach is fired and make him an interim head coach?  So if that's the case it would most likely be philbin or chud god forbid? Or, is there still a good chance that Ballard could get his guy ( I can't off the top of my head remember his name)  if and only because it's still so early in the season?  I say we do it now because let's face it, it's inevitable and should of been done last year or even before. So will it be an assistant coach with the colts currently, or someone new??

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My choice is David Shaw. 

We reunite Luck and Shaw, put in a power running game, play good defense, and count Super Bowl rings. 

Chuck's not getting fired anytime soon. At least not until we are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs. I doubt we would fire him before the season is over. 

17 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

My choice is David Shaw. 

We reunite Luck and Shaw, put in a power running game, play good defense, and count Super Bowl rings. 

Chuck's not getting fired anytime soon. At least not until we are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs. I doubt we would fire him before the season is over. 

And it's fitting you say that because our run game is now one of our strongest pieces on offense, led behind the veteran Frank Gore and a promising RB in Mack. I'm even disappointed in TY Hilton, who gave up a dumb fumble early.

Let's put the ball on the ground and give our defense a chance. It's no fair to expect a defense to help us win when our QB throws two pick-6's and even our best WR is fumbling! You ask any coach; those kinds of turnovers will cost you games in the NFL.

14 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

My choice is David Shaw. 

That sounds like a Pep Hamilton experiment all over again. We need somebody who has coached in the NFL before, preferably with some experience in the post season 

4 minutes ago, jhcutt said:

That sounds like a Pep Hamilton experiment all over again. We need somebody who has coached in the NFL before, preferably with some experience in the post season 

Problem is we have inexperience at the QB position, so yea, we need to get a run game going. Let me put it this way: I'd rather our offense put up 0 pts, as long as it doesn't commit mistakes. At least it gives our defense a chance to provide some kind of spark. I've seen defenses win football games on their own through forcing mistakes, and I know ours probably isn't capable of doing that, but yikes, we definitely need to try something different. Let's at least make the opposing offense work for their points!

23 minutes ago, Trace Pyott said:

Today was as bad as I've ever seen the colts look and with changes made to the personale, assistant coaches and even gm this team still looks horrible. I put it all on pagano nevermind the 2 games he personally lost us last year with horrible time mgmt and slow starts. Today not challenging the early touchdown was absolutely inexcusable. I was fuming. I am actually beginning to have an unhealthy dislike for

the man. Every time I see him on our sideline  with his clueless look on his face I just cringe. Anyways, do teams always go to an in house coach to run the team after a head coach is fired and make him an interim head coach?  So if that's the case it would most likely be philbin or chud god forbid? Or, is there still a good chance that Ballard could get his guy ( I can't off the top of my head remember his name)  if and only because it's still so early in the season?  I say we do it now because let's face it, it's inevitable and should of been done last year or even before. So will it be an assistant coach with the colts currently, or someone new??

It would either be Philbin or Chud.   Both have been head coaches in the NFL.

4 minutes ago, jhcutt said:

I don't believe we need a head coach with NFL experience at all. I actually prefer not to grab a retread. 

David Shaw's future is bright, and whoever gets him is going to win a lot of football games.

As far as Pep, I am not a fan of featuring 13 personnel packages. I like to sprinkle it in. 

Featuring 12 personnel is the way to go. Talented tight ends create great mismatches. 

37 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

My choice is David Shaw. 

As the Stanford fan here, I can assure you that David Shaw is NOT the answer to the Colts problems.   

One season son of Shaw and everyone would be begging for Pagano.    Really.

Shaw is an excellent college coach.   He's perfect for Stanford.    He's repeatedly said he's not leaving the school until his three young kids graduate from Stanford.  That's roughly 10 years from now.

He's the most conservative coach you've ever seen and his approach to the game is not suited to the NFL.

Fans here would HATE Shaw with a blood curdling passion never seen here.  

He's not what the Colts want or need.

43 minutes ago, Trace Pyott said:

Dave Taub if I remember correctly

14 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

As the Stanford fan here, I can assure you that David Shaw is NOT the answer to the Colts problems.   

Shaw is an excellent college coach.   He's perfect for Stanford.    He's repeatedly said he's not leaving the school until his three young kids graduate from Stanford.  That's roughly 10 years from now.

He's the most conservative coach you've ever seen and his approach to the game is not suited to the NFL.

David Shaw will come to the NFL. They all eventually chase the dream, even when they say they're not interested. 

Shaw is conservative, but that hasn't stopped him from sporting highly productive offenses. He is smart, and doesn't go for every 4th down. 

If this about the loss to USC... Vince Lombardi (with Jesus as his defensive coordinator) couldn't have stopped the Trojans Saturday. That team is going to be one of the last teams standing. They have the best quarterback and the best running back duo in the country. They're amazingly talented. 

4 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

David Shaw will come to the NFL. They all eventually chase the dream, even when they say they're not interested. 

Shaw is conservative, but that hasn't stopped him from sporting highly productive offenses. He is smart, and doesn't go for every 4th down. 

If this about the loss to USC... Vince Lombardi (with Jesus as his defensive coordinator) couldn't have stopped the Trojans Saturday. That team is going to be one of the last teams standing. They have the best quarterback and the best running back duo in the country. They're amazingly talented. 

No,  this is NOT about the loss to USC.     I have said ths and posted this before.    It's what most Stanford fans think of Shaw.

He's not suited to the NFL game or NFL life.      And Shaw was an assistant in the NFL for 9 seasons.    And, for the most part,  he HATED it.       He hated the life.     All work and no play.     Hard to see your family.    Shaw doesn't want the life,  the pressure,   the crazy fans,  the hounding media,   the demanding owner.....    he wants none of it.

And if you say he'll get more money,  he doesn't care.     He makes lots of money,  in the multi-millions without the above.     Stanford doesn't have an insane fan base.    They don't call for his head if he goes 7-5 and then wins a minor bowl game.     He doesn't have an administration that demands championships.      Do you know what Stanford demands of him?      That he graduates his players and doesn't cheat while trying to win.      That's it.

Winning is an added bonus.       That's part of what Shaw loves so much.     It's his dream job.

He knows the NFL is a mightmare.     And while he won't rule out going to the NFL somewhere down the road,  I'm afraid he's not interested in that road now.      I think he's got roughly 10 more years at Sttanford.

I could easily be wrong.     Maybe Luck is the key.    But the family loves the Bay Area,   and I don't see them moving to the Midwest.......   sorry...

30 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Boy is that ever true. Shaw is a three yards and a cloud of dust throwback. His unwillingness to air it out when needed has cost Stanford a few games. Got his lunch handed to him by USC on Sat. by failing to adapt to their game plan. Shaw is a college coach period. Get me a guy with NFL experience who is also competent. Is that too much to ask??

Let Pagano finish what he started! Let him give us no. 1 pick so we can trade it and restock the roster with high end talent. I don't want us to rush with the selection of a new coach and his assistants.

If you are a good coach, you are very likely employed right now and thus unavailable. Good coaches don't just hang around unemployed mid-September-October. Maybe wait until we are officially out of the playoffs and put in an interim coach just so you'd signify to prospective candidates that the spot is open in the off-season so they wouldn't rush into another job and so they'd know Luck is theirs to coach if they want him. We had a great lineup of GM-candidates. I cannot imagine us not having even better one for the coaching job.

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

No,  this is NOT about the loss to USC.     I have said ths and posted this before.    It's what most Stanford fans think of Shaw.

He's not suited to the NFL game or NFL life.      And Shaw was an assistant in the NFL for 9 seasons.    And, for the most part,  he HATED it.       He hated the life.     All work and no play.     Hard to see your family.    Shaw doesn't want the life,  the pressure,   the crazy fans,  the hounding media,   the demanding owner.....    he wants none of it.

And if you say he'll get more money,  he doesn't care.     He makes lots of money,  in the multi-millions without the above.     Stanford doesn't have an insane fan base.    They don't call for his head if he goes 7-5 and then wins a minor bowl game.     He doesn't have an administration that demands championships.      Do you know what Stanford demands of him?      That he graduates his players and doesn't cheat while trying to win.      That's it.

Winning is an added bonus.       That's part of what Shaw loves so much.     It's his dream job.

He knows the NFL is a mightmare.     And while he won't rule out going to the NFL somewhere down the road,  I'm afraid he's not interested in that road now.      I think he's got roughly 10 more years at Sttanford.

I could easily be wrong.     Maybe Luck is the key.    But the family loves the Bay Area,   and I don't see them moving to the Midwest.......   sorry...

I am aware of his time spent in the NFL, and his dad too. 

The NFL is the big stage. Every coach wants to accomplish climbing the NFL mountain. It's about the glory. 

I have heard him talk about the NFL and how it's a job for players. I have heard him talk about how it's a different job to coach in the NFL. I think he is using his words wisely to get himself in the right situation for when he does make the leap. 

I have my opinion and you have yours. 

If he gets fired midseason, I can't imagine anyone from this staff who would or could make any kind of difference for this team. Neither Philbin nor Chud could push this team forward, they seemingly are more the problem than the cure.  We really don't have a strong bench of assistants. There will be no Pagano coaching tree

Pagano not responsible for 2 pick 6’s, two missed fg’s and 2 fumbles. That’s what cost us the game. Regardless of him not challenging the touchdown. We still had 2 yards to punch it in. The offense let us down that game. We knew it during the preseason. Colts would struggle to score. AV would miss kicks. Who starts at QB next week? Who knows? AV missing has to be how the ball is being placed. That’s going to be heavily worked on this week. The defense looked fine to me yesterday. Rewatch the game to get a whole picture. The Defense wasn’t helped out by the offense. Bad field positions all game. 14 free points. With much better offensive play we should be fine. 

6 minutes ago, a06cc said:

Pagano not responsible for 2 pick 6’s, two missed fg’s and 2 fumbles. That’s what cost us the game. Regardless of him not challenging the touchdown. We still had 2 yards to punch it in. The offense let us down that game. We knew it during the preseason. Colts would struggle to score. AV would miss kicks. Who starts at QB next week? Who knows? AV missing has to be how the ball is being placed. That’s going to be heavily worked on this week. The defense looked fine to me yesterday. Rewatch the game to get a whole picture. The Defense wasn’t helped out by the offense. Bad field positions all game. 14 free points. With much better offensive play we should be fine. 

I have to disagree - the head coach is responsible for everything the team does - or fails to do.  The buck stops at his desk.

6 hours ago, ReMeDy said:

And it's fitting you say that because our run game is now one of our strongest pieces on offense, led behind the veteran Frank Gore and a promising RB in Mack. I'm even disappointed in TY Hilton, who gave up a dumb fumble early.

Let's put the ball on the ground and give our defense a chance. It's no fair to expect a defense to help us win when our QB throws two pick-6's and even our best WR is fumbling! You ask any coach; those kinds of turnovers will cost you games in the NFL.

We only got 3 yards per carry yesterday. That's not going to get it done either. The Rams were without Donald too. 

22 minutes ago, a06cc said:

Make that 16, you forgot about the safety.

7 hours ago, Trace Pyott said:

I've been sort of on the fence and supporter of pagano saying to give him a chance without the micromanaging of Grigson.... I now think I can see why Grigson micromanaged him, Pagano is a lost little boy, he needs to be crap-canned this morning.  Bring someone else in at all costs(cough cough Peyton, you listening?), anyone has to be better than the * who cant even remember the name of the team who just kicked your *. I will support the Colts, but Pagano must go.

1 hour ago, BlueShoe said:

I am aware of his time spent in the NFL, and his dad too. 

The NFL is the big stage. Every coach wants to accomplish climbing the NFL mountain. It's about the glory. 

I have heard him talk about the NFL and how it's a job for players. I have heard him talk about how it's a different job to coach in the NFL. I think he is using his words wisely to get himself in the right situation for when he does make the leap. 

I have my opinion and you have yours. 

Yeah......

Except my opinion is based on being a Stanford fan for 50 years.

When I'm not on ths website,  where do you think I spend some of my time?

You think I don't know more than the average football fan who sees Shaw and thinks what a good coach he is?

Stanford is a very unique place.

I'm not saying he'll never go to the NFL.     But I am saying he's years and years away from wanting to do that,  and his coaching DNA is entirely wrong for it.       Shaw considers himself a teacher,  a molder of young men.    That's in part, why he likes college coaching so much.      The NFL, as you note,  is not that world.     It's a bottom line job.

Win,  or else.

As of right now,  he's got no interest in it....

8 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yeah......

Except my opinion is based on being a Stanford fan for 50 years.

When I'm not on ths website,  where do you think I spend some of my time?

You think I don't know more than the average football fan who sees Shaw and thinks what a good coach he is?

Stanford is a very unique place.

I'm not saying he'll never go to the NFL.     But I am saying he's years and years away from wanting to do that,  and his coaching DNA is entirely wrong for it.       Shaw considers himself a teacher,  a molder of young men.    That's in part, why he likes college coaching so much.      The NFL, as you note,  is not that world.     It's a bottom line job.

Win,  or else.

As of right now,  he's got no interest in it....

Your opinion is heard, but it is not gospel. 

My opinions of the Colts are based on being a Colts fan for over 30 years. Yet, as a new Colts fan, you have no problem disagreeing with me.

So based on your logic, moving forward you are always correct about Stanford and I am always right about the Colts? LOL. 

2 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

Your opinion is heard, but it is not gospel. 

My opinions of the Colts are based on being a Colts fan for over 30 years. Yet, as a new Colts fan, you have no problem disagreeing with me.

So based on your logic, moving forward you are always correct about Stanford and I am always right about the Colts? LOL. 

I'm disagreeing with you, becaus´I'm not talking about the Colts.

I'm talking about David Shaw.

And you're not a Stanford fan.     You don't know more about Stanford and Shaw then I do about the Colts.     LOL.

You're a fan of ONE of the two programs,  while I'm a fan of both.     Big difference.

1 hour ago, a06cc said:

I have to agree with you but I have to admit I am worried about Adam.  I am not ready to blame this on the holder. Adam is 44 years old.  You can't kick forever.  He was missing in preseason too.  I hope I'm wrong but we might have kept him one year too long.  If they can't figure it out soon we might be better off bringing in a new kicker.    

1 hour ago, a06cc said:

I have to agree with you but I have to admit I am worried about Adam.  I am not ready to blame this on the holder. Adam is 44 years old.  You can't kick forever.  He was missing in preseason too.  I hope I'm wrong but we might have kept him one year too long.  If they can't figure it out soon we might be better off bringing in a new kicker.    

9 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'm disagreeing with you, becaus´I'm not talking about the Colts.

I'm talking about David Shaw.

And you're not a Stanford fan.     You don't know more about Stanford and Shaw then I do about the Colts.     LOL.

You're a fan of ONE of the two programs,  while I'm a fan of both.     Big difference.

Whatever fits in your justification parameters to stroke your ego. 

How do you know I am not a Stanford fan? Stop putting words in my mouth.

I have said my two cents, and heard enough from you. Goodbye. :)