Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts interested in top Gs....reportedly

This makes sense. There are some people on this forum who think our O-line is 100% set, I just don't see it. 

I think T.J. Lang is a great fit, if the contract can be drawn up right and if he's healthy. He is one of the best pass blocking guards in the league and he's also a solid run blocker. Mewhort-Kelly-Lang could be one of the best pass blocking interiors in the NFL, and it would help jump start our ground game a bit too. 

5 minutes ago, Track Guy said:

This makes sense. There are some people on this forum who think our O-line is 100% set, I just don't see it. 

I think T.J. Lang is a great fit, if the contract can be drawn up right and if he's healthy. He is one of the best pass blocking guards in the league and he's also a solid run blocker. Mewhort-Kelly-Lang could be one of the best pass blocking interiors in the NFL, and it would help jump start our ground game a bit too. 

Lang is 30 though that's my only concern. Zeitler Kelly and mewhort are all roughly the same age so they can grow together

4 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Lang is 30 though that's my only concern. Zeitler Kelly and mewhort are all roughly the same age so they can grow together

That's a fair point. Lang will turn 30 in the 2017 season I believe. If he were another year or two older I'd be more hesitant, but guards can often play well through 32 or 33 as long as they don't have substantial injuries. Lang will probably be a little cheaper as well, because of the age thing. Either player I'd be happy with.

30 minutes ago, Gigc said:

Not a guard, but Alex Mack did pretty well for the Falcons this year after jumping from Cleveland.

I think a couple of these guards jumping into our line makes the most sense to spend our cap on. Add a NT and I will be very happy in FA.

I want one of the top 3-4 guards. You put Mewhort,Kelly,Zeitler together and you have a very strong inner core to run the ball. Haeg and Clark can fight over RT, and provide a lot of depth, and then we will have to see if Castanzo returns to his former play. If so, the line is set. We need a RG!

I get the interest. Need to solidify RG, IMO. But I don't want to drop a big contract on a guard. If they're going to let Mewhort walk after this year, that's another story, but I don't really get that stance at this point. Mewhort is good and shouldn't cost a lot of money.

Locking down RG would allow Haeg, Clark, Reitz and Good to battle it out at RT (assuming they all wind up with the team once the dust settles) with whoever else winds up on the roster, and would produce more depth at both guard and tackle positions. It definitely makes the team better, I just hope it gets down at the right price point.

I have my eye on a couple lower level guards that should be free agents.

42 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

This is ridiculous, this is like saying don't draft a QB in the 1st because they usually don't work out. Each person is a unique case.

Each person isn't that unique.  Many actually behave exactly the same way given the same background and stimulated with the same present circumstances.

Like why their original team won't commit the same level of dollars as the other team.  Its usually the original team's understanding of the player's talent/salary balance.  I didn't say complete bust.  I said earn their pay.

Its rare that another team can't fit a good G under the cap...if they feel he's worth it..which includes finding a suitable replacement for less money.

12 minutes ago, Krauses said:

Signing guard also makes Rietz expendable so frees up 3 mill to put towards there contract

I wouldn't expect Reitz to be released.    He can play 4 of the 5 OL sports.    Guys like that are very hard to find.   You keep them when you have them.

1 hour ago, gnet550 said:

If this post is to be accepted at face value,   what I find most interesting is that there appears to be about 4 FA guards of interest...  (maybe more)   but the post lists 6 teams.

So,  when the music stops and the signing of these top guards is over,  one or two teams is going to be left without a guard.   

With this as the backdrop it's not certain to me that we're looking to spend huge money on a guard.    We might be....    tub then again,  maybe not.

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

If this post is to be accepted at face value,   what I find most interesting is that there appears to be about 4 FA guards of interest...  (maybe more)   but the post lists 6 teams.

So,  when the music stops and the signing of these top guards is over,  one or two teams is going to be left without a guard.   

With this as the backdrop it's not certain to me that we're looking to spend huge money on a guard.    We might be....    tub then again,  maybe not.

We may not get our first choice at G, but if this report is true, I don't think we end up being left out, with Ballard saying he values the trenches. He'll aggressively target someone IMO, it just may not be the person we want.

5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I wouldn't expect Reitz to be released.    He can play 4 of the 5 OL sports.    Guys like that are very hard to find.   You keep them when you have them.

Haeg is a cheaper and younger Rietz.  Clark and Goode also have some versatility 

2 hours ago, Krauses said:

Haeg is a cheaper and younger Rietz.  Clark and Goode also have some versatility 

I agree that Haeg is cheaper and younger,  but there's no need or reason to give up Reitz.    He still has value.

Our guys are constantly getting hurt,   and we need all the O-line quality bodies we can get.   

7 hours ago, DougDew said:

Please no.  How many big money Gs have switched teams and earned their pay?

From 2012 to 2015; zero.

They get complacent when getting big money, new scheme/environment isn't a fit, they get more injuries with wear and tear piling up etc.. could be a lot of reasons.

Osemele does have good chance at working out though, if he can stay healthy.

That said, I'd be interested in Zeitler.

I'd rather focus on defense to be honest but with Ingram gone there isn't that many free agents I'm bothered about on that side of the ball.

While I can see the benefits of signing Zeitler it does pretty much make a mockery of the focus on o-line in last year's draft. For me Haeg played pretty well in that spot last year and I'd like to see him, Clark and Good given opportunities to develop. 

If they have doubts about whether Mewhort is going to make it through his injuries then that changes things for me but I just can't get fully on board a top RG free agent in this offseason. 

If the guy doesn't break the bank and he's a good fit for this team then you do it.  I don't know who that will be and that's Ballard's job.  But if he meets the criteria, and the Colts have some money, then you absolutely pull the trigger.  If not, then you don't.

5 hours ago, Finball said:

From 2012 to 2015; zero.

They get complacent when getting big money, new scheme/environment isn't a fit, they get more injuries with wear and tear piling up etc.. could be a lot of reasons.

Osemele does have good chance at working out though, if he can stay healthy.

That said, I'd be interested in Zeitler.

The whole concept of paying an interior lineman runs against the grain of other things.  We're constantly told that the OL works as a unit, as a team, and that they need time to gel.

If so, then how can one G have so much impact that he needs to be highly paid relative to the others. Apparently from 2012 to 2015, they shouldn't have.   Kelly is our stud in the interior.  The LT is often on an island so I understand the compensation.  I understand the desire to have the best players you can at every position on the field, but this is not a good idea. 

If they keep Denzelle Good on the team in any type of role I'd like to see him loose weight.  Get down to about 320-325lbs maybe.   He was falling down way too much last year.  I think the weight was part of it, but not all of it.