Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ballard Reportedly Prefers Dave Taub as Head Coach

masterlock

There have been several reports that Chris Ballard prefers Dave Taub as head coach. My first thought was "who?" But the more I read about this guy, the more I like him. In fact, I'm practically sold on this guy as the next head coach, assuming Ballard gets the GM job and wants to bring him.

A quote from the article:

"He's a combination of Harbaugh and John Madden. He is the real deal. This guy can coach. Period. He's a big guy, physically, who can take over a room when he has to. He gets people to buy in."

Oh, and by the way, both Belichick and Harbaugh were special teams coaches before they became head coaches.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/the-12-best-nfl-coaching-candidates-and-the-one-that-teams-are-too-scared-to-hire/

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Ja'Crispy said:

Is Irsay willing to pull the trigger on this combo after explicitly stating Pagano will be the coach in 2017?  Idk.  I'd hate to let a great GM candidate walk because he does not get to choose the coach he is tied to.

I'm reading that having Pagano for 2017 wouldn't be a deal-breaker for Ballard. 

Just now, Ja'Crispy said:

Is Irsay willing to pull the trigger on this combo after explicitly stating Pagano will be the coach in 2017?  Idk.  I'd hate to let a great GM candidate walk because he does not get to choose the coach he is tied to.

Ballard's the only candidate getting a second interview. My guess is it's just a formality, & Irsay's going to offer him the job tomorrow, and that'll be it for Pagano.

Just now, Majin Vegeta said:

I'm reading that having Pagano for 2017 wouldn't be a deal-breaker for Ballard. 

I just saw that too.  Sounds like he's willing to give Pagano a shot but if he underwhelms, Toub would be his guy for 2018.  I really hope he doesn't want Tom Cable like some rumors are saying. 

18 minutes ago, Ja'Crispy said:

If he wants his team to be a contender, then yes. 

Sticking with a handclapper expecting different results when he has been here for five years and nothing has changed is a waste of time for the franchise and Luck's career. 

I really don't believe the "Ballard wants to fire Pagano" right away rumors.

I think it's mostly just piggy backing off of lesser known reporters, like that Chiefs guy who tweeted very closely to Brad Wells' tweets, and then a bunch of people just started basing articles off it.

Toub's name is always brought up with Ballard, and I wouldn't be surprised if he does want him at some point, but I doubt he's that opposed to working with Chuck for one season.

The only thing I can see is Ballard leaning toward wanting to get rid of Pagano next season and Irsay wanting to have some say in the evaluation. To me, Ballard should pretty much be able to make that decision by himself.

Ballard is getting a second interview so regardless of what it is that he wants, it doesn't seem to be a deal breaker for Irsay.

If you asked me my opinion though, I think Pagano gets canned after the 2017 season and we hire Toub. That just seems like the obvious path.

10 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

I haven't read anything linking him to Cable. 

I don't really believe it but there was a rumor that the 2 Seattle guys and Ballard wanted Cable as the 49ers HC.

I don't know how anybody would know that if Ballard turned down the 49ers interview, but hey.

Just now, Fisticuffs111 said:

I don't particularly believe the rumors, but there was a rumor that the 2 Seattle guys and Ballard, for some reason, wanted Cable as the 49ers HC.

How they would know that even though Ballard turned the 49ers down, no idea.

Yeah those are just rumors imo.. I think he wants Toub, but will be fine with Pagano for 2017. And who knows, maybe him and pags are the next dynamic duo lol. 

44 minutes ago, masterlock said:

There have been several reports that Chris Ballard prefers Dave Taub as head coach. My first thought was "who?" But the more I read about this guy, the more I like him. In fact, I'm practically sold on this guy as the next head coach, assuming Ballard gets the GM job and wants to bring him.

"He's a combination of Harbaugh and John Madden. He is the real deal. This guy can coach. Period. He's a big guy, physically, who can take over a room when he has to. He gets people to buy in."

Oh, and by the way, both Belichick and Harbaugh were special teams coaches before they became head coaches.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/the-12-best-nfl-coaching-candidates-and-the-one-that-teams-are-too-scared-to-hire/

BB was a defensive coordinator for the giants when he became HC of the browns

On 1/27/2017 at 7:30 PM, Surge89 said:

"Rolls eyes" he literally just stated the facts and re-spoke what has been said on this forum for the past 12 months... how is that setting records for defending Pagano?

And let me be clear I've adamantly stated that Pagano isn't good enough.  But I think your sipping hard on the Jshipp cool aid who is as delusional as can be when it comes to firing Pagano.

I dont recal anyone complaining about the softness of this team when we were winning in Pagano's first 3 years until the New England whooping.  Which is exactly what NCF said.  

I also don't recall ever hearing a GM being vital to team toughness either... Venturi is making a fool of himself here and NCF is pointing that out.  So instead of immediately labeling him take the time out to think about what is in front of you.  Just because this fits your narrative of fire Pagano doesn't mean it has sound logic behind it.

55 minutes ago, Ja'Crispy said:

I just saw that too.  Sounds like he's willing to give Pagano a shot but if he underwhelms, Toub would be his guy for 2018.  I really hope he doesn't want Tom Cable like some rumors are saying. 

I just dont see how keeping him around is going to make any progress. He's been here for years, everyone knows what he does, how he does it, his strengths, shortcomings, etc.. Time to change instead of hoping for a miracle . Also, when the coach isn't of the GM choosing it's set up to fail period. I just dont get why Irsay is so set on Pagano . Chuck could probably use a reset elsewhere also. Also, what if Ballard expectations of Pagano are different than Irsay . 

I for one want to see Pagano gone as much as anybody and maybe, just maybe, Toub is a good coach, but id rather wait unil 2018. Toub will still be there plus there will be many other qualified candidates to sort through. I think bringing in Toub and locking him down long term would be jumping the gun.

1 hour ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Ballard's the only candidate getting a second interview. My guess is it's just a formality, & Irsay's going to offer him the job tomorrow, and that'll be it for Pagano.

i missed this, do you have a link to this report?

24 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

I for one want to see Pagano gone as much as anybody and maybe, just maybe, Toub is a good coach, but id rather wait unil 2018. Toub will still be there plus there will be many other qualified candidates to sort through. I think bringing in Toub and locking him down long term would be jumping the gun.

It might be jumping the gun, but I do see one benefit if they were to hire him. Depending on who his staff would be, the scheme might change on offense/defense . If Ballard is the GM it would be a waste to draft guys for Pagano's scheme, only to change schemes the very next year. What if Toub is a 4-3 guy but this draft we go heavy on 3-4 personnel?

6 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

It might be jumping the gun, but I do see one benefit if they were to hire him. Depending on who his staff would be, the scheme might change on offense/defense . If Ballard is the GM it would be a waste to draft guys for Pagano's scheme, only to change schemes the very next year. What if Toub is a 4-3 guy but this draft we go heavy on 3-4 personnel?

If Ballard gets hired, knows Toub is a 4-3 guy, is interested in him, and has to wait til next year to hire him, he'll probably change the scheme to a 4-3 this year either way. Just in case Pagano gets fired, he'll have his coach in mind and players for his scheme already set up one year ahead.

Just now, Jared Cisneros said:

If Ballard gets hired, knows Toub is a 4-3 guy, is interested in him, and has to wait til next year to hire him, he'll probably change the scheme to a 4-3 this year either way. Just in case Pagano gets fired, he'll have his coach in mind and players for his scheme already set up one year ahead.

I don't think the GM has say in what schemes are ran. That's usually entirely up to the HC and coaching staff. Only people like Grigson stick their nose in coaching decisions.

7 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Thats totally true as well, although since KC uses a 3-4 its just a guess that he would too, but you could be right. Another thing is, this late in the game he might not get the coordinators he wants and then you might change the coordinators in 2018 as well, just creating another huge cluster.

Just now, Defjamz26 said:

I don't think the GM has say in what schemes are ran. That's usually entirely up to the HC and coaching staff. Only people like Grigson stick their nose in coaching decisions.

I know what you mean, but Ballard could theoretically draft players that fit a 4-3 en route to hiring a new coach next year. Not sure if he would though.

Just now, Boiler_Colt said:

Thats totally true as well, although since KC uses a 3-4 its just a guess that he would too, but you could be right. Another thing is, this late in the game he might not get the coordinators he wants and then you might change the coordinators in 2018 as well, just creating another huge cluster.

Yeah I thought of that too. It's kind of late to be assembling a coaching staff, although the 49ers will be just as late when they hire Shannahan. I feel like timing is the real reason Pagano was kept. I think had Irsay fired Grigson black Monday, Ballard would already be hired and Pagano would've been let go.

1 hour ago, ManningGM said:

If he wants his team to be a contender, then yes. 

Sticking with a handclapper expecting different results when he has been here for five years and nothing has changed is a waste of time for the franchise and Luck's career. 

I agree if irsay want to have this team be a constant super bowl threat then he needs to hire this guy and let him get rid of Pagano.

2 hours ago, masterlock said:

Belichick was a successful DC before he was a head coach.     His stint as a ST coach was earlier.

And Harbaugh,  John,  so far, is the exception to the rule.    A guy who went from ST to HC.     So, I can't imagine Irsay having a great deal of comfort in hiring a first time HC in Toub.   

He appears to be looking for people with a proven track record of success this time around.

18 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Belichick was a successful DC before he was a head coach.     His stint as a ST coach was earlier.

And Harbaugh,  John,  so far, is the exception to the rule.    A guy who went from ST to HC.     So, I can't imagine Irsay having a great deal of comfort in hiring a first time HC in Toub.   

He appears to be looking for people with a proven track record of success this time around.

Harbaugh spent one years as a position coach (defensive backs) before getting HC gig with the Ravens. Didn't jump straight from ST to HC. But as he had been ST coach for almost a decade, and then just one year a positon coach, his work as ST coach mainly got the job for him.

Guys, here is the situation:

Out of all 6 candidates that interviewed, there were reports early on that Ballard was the favorite, or he was poised to get the job.

Then all this stuff came out about him preferring Toub or him wanting Pagano gone (who knows what is true). In spite of all that, Irsay brought him AND ONLY HIM in for a second interview. Like someone mentioned, it is probably a formality and more like a meeting to discuss contract, logistics, and immediate vision. Irsay will definitely want to get this over with as soon as possible because this entire week is gonna be Super Bowl headlines. 

Regardless of whether Pagano is gonna be here or not, I think Ballard being brought in speaks to whatever agreement Ballard and Irsay have and that Irsay is fine with it. I, personally, hope that Pagano is gone. We get a fresh start and Toub is a great guy and Ballard loves him apparently which makes sense. However, having Pagano here isn't the end of the world. At the end of the day, this team needs PLAYERS, especially on defense. Ballard can start working on that from day 1. Lets be optimistic about that folks (if he gets hired) instead about worrying about the 1 year rental that Pagano may or may not have. 

In my opinion, Ballard gets hired, Pagano stays for the year and 1 of 2 things happens: slow start gets Pagano fired or Pagano gets fired at the end of the season for not getting to the Super Bowl. 

2 hours ago, Tsarquise said:

My thoughts as well. 

I don't think "that will be it" necessarily for Pagano. I hope so. But if Irsay already told all his coaches and positional coaches they are safe for 2017, you can't turn your back on them and say sorry I've changed my mind. I don't see Irsay doing that. 

3 hours ago, Ja'Crispy said:

I don't think Irsay will let that happen.  People are buying too much into what he said about Pagano being coach in 2017.  If Irsay feels Ballard is the best man for the job, I doubt he would let the fact that he wants to get rid of Pagano stand in the way.  It's Irsay's modus operandi to let the new GM be the one to fire the current coach if he so chooses. He did it with Grigson and Caldwell.  I don't really see him deviating from that approach here.

35 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

I don't think "that will be it" necessarily for Pagano. I hope so. But if Irsay already told all his coaches and positional coaches they are safe for 2017, you can't turn your back on them and say sorry I've changed my mind. I don't see Irsay doing that. 

Irsay wouldn't have to. Ballard would do that for him if it came down to that.  Such is the circle of life in the N.F.L.  (cue up Lion King music here.)