Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Report: Colts explored trade for Sean Payton

RockThatBlue

16 minutes ago, backshoulderfade said:

Apparently a saints rep called Pete Ward. Colts declined to trade for him. Don't know if that counts as us persuing him anyway.

Right, sounds more like there were some preliminary talks that didn't advance very far at all. Pete Ward confirmed that there were talks, but they made it seem like the Colts didn't like the sound of it and moved on quickly.

Grigson might have been the one generating the interest, by the way.

The offense would be incredible with Payton, but his teams consistently struggle defensively, no matter who's running the show. The Saints haven't done a good job adding talent on defense, and they seem to get hit with a lot of injuries on that side of the ball, but it's been a long time since they had a good defense. The only time they really did was when they were running a bounty program to hurt other players. But definitely, Payton > Pagano.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

37 minutes ago, dw49 said:

I took Irsay as to say Pagano would be back next year. Interesting that you think he "left the door open" to the contrary . 

Right, but then he goes on to say that the New GM would evaluate all aspects of the franchise from the top down, and make changes to get better. 

Like i said in other thread, based on that, I think pagano does come back if Raye is the GM regardless, if Irsay hires a GM from someplace else, I think Pagano is gone. 

Keep in mind, Irsay has changed his mind before and will likely do so again, Jim Caldwell for example and even Grigson as another. 

1 hour ago, Derakynn said:

Yeah I'd love a coach who can't get his team to have a decent enough defense to get on of the greatest QBs of all time into the playoffs. 

Yeah the Saints mirror the Colts in a lot of ways. Their defense might even be worse than ours. 

Honestly, Pagano has looked worse than a dead man walking at the end of the last 2 seasons.  He has the act down for next year.  Fortunately for him, he is selling ice cubes to the proverbial Eskimo, Irsay... With a 3rd place schedule, I could see him hanging around for a few more years of Luck's tenure.  

16 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Right, but then he goes on to say that the New GM would evaluate all aspects of the franchise from the top down, and make changes to get better. 

Like i said in other thread, based on that, I think pagano does come back if Raye is the GM regardless, if Irsay hires a GM from someplace else, I think Pagano is gone. 

Keep in mind, Irsay has changed his mind before and will likely do so again, Jim Caldwell for example and even Grigson as another. 

Sure I guess it's a possibility but I think Irsay made a pretty clear commitment to keep Pagano for 2017. This is where we differ a bit in what we heard ? As to Caldwell , I have no recollection of what was said back then . I do disagree (you infer that he did) that he made a similar commitment to Grigson. All I remember hearing is a second hand report that Irsay said he wouldn't "anticipate" changes for 2017. And that was before the Houston loss and getting man handled by Jax at home for 40 minutes. Little stronger when he says on camera that "Pagano will coach the team in 2017." 

I'm not saying it's impossible for Pagano to be fired or your post is bad .Just saying I think you may have missed parts of that press conference that would tend to solidify Pagano for 2017. 

5 minutes ago, Superman said:

McDaniels isn't going to take anymore interviews until after the SB, I'm pretty sure. 

I don't know if he has addressed it or not.   I just know they superbowl coordinators have interviewed for jobs the weekend before the game quite a few times in the past.  I heard shannahan will interview with the 9ers next Friday

1 hour ago, Aces101 said:

Still thinking Irsay is stalling to bring in McDaniels following the Super Bowl

Irsay could easily have said 'I want Pagano to be the coach, but the new GM will be allowed to evaluate the staff and make a decision about how to proceed.' He didn't have to commit to Pagano in 2017. 

Still thinking Irsay is stalling to bring in McDaniels following the Super Bowl

Irsay could easily have said 'I want Pagano to be the coach, but the new GM will be allowed to evaluate the staff and make a decision about how to proceed.' He didn't have to commit to Pagano in 2017. 

You know I agree, but to play devils advocate to my own opinion, I could see McDaniels being the one guy he would make a change for. (Or Shanahan, but he's headed to SF from what the reports say, so I left him out.)

Even still, I'd have to wager there is less than a 10% chance it happens. Maybe even less than 5.

4 hours ago, csmopar said:

I'm telling you, he left the door open to firing Pagano, he made the same exact comments regarding Jim caldwell after he fired Polian, IF IF IF IF the reports of Gruden not wanting to work with Grigson were true, I wouldn't be surprised to see those talks reignited. Not advocating for Gruden, I just think with Grigs out of the picture based on the twitter comments from players and former players, it MAY open up some new talks with high valued targets

Did he say that Caldwell would be the coach in 2012? I honestly don't remember.

51 minutes ago, Superman said:

What I heard him say was that the new GM would evaluate the whole football program after he said Pagano would be the coach in 2017....so, there is plenty of room to maneuver left in there.

7 hours ago, dudley dawson said:

Irsay should go back to the negotiating table with Gruden. GM & HC. Blank check. Get it done.

If the reports are to be believed, even gruden didn't want himself to be the GM. Which is good because he has 0 experience as a GM.

having said that, watch irsay hire gruden as GM while keeping pagano as HC. Lol

I'm telling you, he left the door open to firing Pagano, he made the same exact comments regarding Jim caldwell after he fired Polian, IF IF IF IF the reports of Gruden not wanting to work with Grigson were true, I wouldn't be surprised to see those talks reignited. Not advocating for Gruden, I just think with Grigs out of the picture based on the twitter comments from players and former players, it MAY open up some new talks with high valued targets

There was never even so much as a hint that Caldwell and the coaches would be safe. I believe at some point he said something about how he liked and respected Caldwell and it caused a bit of a stir that he might be keeping him, but he was pretty clear it was up to the new GM from the start.

11 hours ago, masnerj said:

Irsay going after Payton is not surprising (even the fact that it happened two years in a row). I am actually happy that nothing got done because to pry him away from the Saints would take atleast a 3rd or 4th round pick which I certainly don't think would be a good idea. We need those picks to build a defense. More picks = higher chances of nabbing a starter. Now that we are going to have a atleast a decent GM who drafts atleast average to better than average (assumption yes), those picks become important. 

After all of these leaks, I would think that even Pagano knows that there is a very very small chance he comes back after this upcoming season so I definitely see him being fired by the new GM. Irsay is in a tricky position right now in terms of dealing with the new GM hire but also maintaining whatever slim connection he has with Pagano. In my opinion, I see a new GM being hired followed by Pagano being fired. 

However, if Raye is hired, you can bet on another year of Pagano being our HC. 

If he has a bad start to the season I could see him getting fired then. 

8 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

Yes. But he left the door open just as he did Saturday. From the espn article, I'm looking for the entire transcripts .

No decision on Caldwell is expected to be made until after the GM is hired, though players have overwhelmingly supported him.

"One thing about Jim is that he's a stand-up guy, and guys respect that," cornerback Jerraud Powerssaid. "He's a great coach, a good guy, and it was unfortunate situation this year. But he never lost the locker room."

Irsay said there's a good chance Caldwell will be back, but for how long remains to be seen.

A team source told ESPN's Ed Werder that Caldwell met with his staff following the firings and informed them they were being retained but there were no guarantees at this time. According to the source, those involved in the talk understood Caldwell's words to to mean the Colts' next general manager would decide their fate.

13 hours ago, 1959Colts said:

And in other news...

Reports are that the Colts reached out to Rich Kotite.

Kotite however has declined the offer.

Irsay says he plans to move forward with Chuck Pagano.

rich-kotite.jpg

Please warn me when about to post this kind of stuff. I almost blew coffee out my nose, laughing.

5 hours ago, Jason_S said:

If the reports are to be believed, even gruden didn't want himself to be the GM. Which is good because he has 0 experience as a GM.

having said that, watch irsay hire gruden as GM while keeping pagano as HC. Lol

That would mean he hates them both ... a lot.

This article does not say that Jim Irsay went after Sean Payton.

The so called "talks" and "negotiations" and "process" are based on one single phone call:

"I received a call asking if we were interested," Ward said. "And I told the caller "No."

Here we go again............................................

14 hours ago, ztboiler said:

What I heard him say was that the new GM would evaluate the whole football program after he said Pagano would be the coach in 2017....so, there is plenty of room to maneuver left in there.

http://host.madison.com/sports/football/jim-irsay-confirms-chuck-pagano-will-coach-indianapolis-colts-in/article_1590c558-0fda-5ef6-9d7e-cdc5339dd2e8.html

"For 2017, Chuck is our coach."

Irsay is the owner. He can change his mind. In fact, his response about Grigson and Pagano being tied together was "I untied them." That's what being the owner is about. So I'm not trying to act like just because Irsay said this means he isn't allowed to get rid of Pagano, or he'd be a liar or a hypocrite or whatever. At the same time, Irsay could easily have said 'no decision has been made about Pagano yet, but I hope he's the coach.' To me, he publicly committed to Pagano when he didn't have to, and that means something.

All things considered, I want George Paton, and I want Josh McDaniels. So I hope Irsay does change his mind. But I doubt it. And that's okay, because Pagano either coaches his butt off in 2017 and earns his keep, or he's the same 'not good enough' coach, and he gets fired. I think McDaniels will still be around a year from now, and there are other candidates as well.

28 minutes ago, Superman said:

http://host.madison.com/sports/football/jim-irsay-confirms-chuck-pagano-will-coach-indianapolis-colts-in/article_1590c558-0fda-5ef6-9d7e-cdc5339dd2e8.html

"For 2017, Chuck is our coach."

Irsay is the owner. He can change his mind. In fact, his response about Grigson and Pagano being tied together was "I untied them." That's what being the owner is about. So I'm not trying to act like just because Irsay said this means he isn't allowed to get rid of Pagano, or he'd be a liar or a hypocrite or whatever. At the same time, Irsay could easily have said 'no decision has been made about Pagano yet, but I hope he's the coach.' To me, he publicly committed to Pagano when he didn't have to, and that means something.

All things considered, I want George Paton, and I want Josh McDaniels. So I hope Irsay does change his mind. But I doubt it. And that's okay, because Pagano either coaches his butt off in 2017 and earns his keep, or he's the same 'not good enough' coach, and he gets fired. I think McDaniels will still be around a year from now, and there are other candidates as well.

Yep.  We are pretty much saying and feeling similar things, with different points of emphasis.  

To me, Irsay had no choice but to back Pagano for 2017 with a purposeful comment if he wanted to retain the option given how the off season has panned out.  If he didn't say it now, he might as well fire him, and he clearly doesn't want to be backed into that corner yet.