Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Andrew Luck recovering from surgery

HungarianColtsFan

6 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

It does make you wonder why Luck wasn't encouraged to do this surgery as soon as our season was literally over. As in, get me on the table as soon as possible. 

Surgeons schedules do fill up fast I imagine all yr round & perhaps there was some debate over how necessary going under the knife was. The classic back & forth over rehabilitation vs cut a dude open etc. etc. 

I still would have liked the procedure to be carried out swiftly & without hesitation once it was determined that only a medical expert can solve the problem at hand. 

The only thing I can think of is he wanted to get multiple opinions first...

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coincidence for me, as I had rotator cuff surgery yesterday on my right shoulder. Went in at 10am, went home at 9pm. What a surprise to come home and see this thread. In my case, it's 6 weeks in a sling and not 1 day less. 6 weeks is around March1st, then off to rehab. I hope to be throwing again by mid April as well.

Get well Andrew! 

13 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

The only thing I can think of is he wanted to get multiple opinions first...

Good point. A patient wants to know how qualified their doctor is, their success rate of patients in recovery with the exact same procedure, & whether or not this surgery will resolve nagging pain & discomfort. All extremely valid points JS23. 

Too many opinions can be a problem too, but if say 4-5 experts come to the same conclusion. You pretty much made the right decision in the long run. 

I do think that puts a final nail in Pagano being replaced.  Under the same offense was retained with Chud staying on, it would be near impossible for Luck to pick up a new offense when he won't be available to OTAs or mini camps and will come in around July.  So they basically HAVE to keep the Chud offense.

5 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

Good point. A patient wants to know how qualified their doctor is, their success rate of patients in recovery with the exact same procedure, & whether or not this surgery will resolve nagging pain & discomfort. All extremely valid points JS23. 

Too many opinions can be a problem too, but if say 4-5 experts come to the same conclusion. You pretty much made the right decision in the long run. 

Another possibility they will never admit to is he could have hurt it worse playing in that meaningless game against Jax that cost us draft position...Might have had to wait for the swelling to go down before it could be operated on...Had a close call with Hilton's knee in game also, that could have been disastrous and all time dumb as well...

16 minutes ago, Douzer said:

Coincidence for me, as I had rotator cuff surgery yesterday on my right shoulder. Went in at 10am, went home at 9pm. What a surprise to come home and see this thread. In my case, it's 6 weeks in a sling and not 1 day less. 6 weeks is around March1st, then off to rehab. I hope to be throwing again by mid April as well.

Get well Andrew! 

I hope your recovery flows smoothly too Douzer with no setbacks or hiccups as well. Knock on wood that both you & Luck will be back to your old selves in say 6-8 months tops. 

It's pretty amazing what is deemed outpatient treatment or you can go home in no time flat these days. 

1 minute ago, jshipp23 said:

Another possibility they will never admit to is he could have hurt it worse playing in that meaningless game against Jax that cost us draft position...Might have had to wait for the swelling to go down before it could be operated on...Had a close call with Hilton's knee in game also, that could have been disastrous and all time dumb as well...

Yeah, sometimes the human body won't allow a person to lay on a cold steel table immediately. Plus, surgery is always a last resort anyway & it can take awhile to finally admit to yourself: We're out of options here & we've reached the point of no return. Then there's the let's not petrify our fan base prematurely shall we for no good reason perspective as well. 

2 hours ago, deedub75 said:

Believe that if you want to. There's no way they did not know he had a bulging disc and I'm sure the team doctors told them that it could completely rupture at any time. He had multiple off-season minor procedures to fix it. Polian was scrambling because he never believed in spending on a competent back up. 

The Colts knew about the neck injury, but they didn't know how much nerve damage there was, or how much it effected Manning's arm, because Manning was hiding it up until he couldn't start the season.  

Polian didn't spend money on a backup QB because he didn't think he had too.  When he had too, he did, and that was a week before the season started, because Manning was hiding the seriousness of his condition up until then.

Polian wasn't hiding the seriousness of Manning's injury from the fans, which is what you implied.

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

The Colts knew about the neck injury, but they didn't know how much nerve damage there was, or how much it effected Manning's arm, because Manning was hiding it up until he couldn't start the season.  

Polian didn't spend money on a backup QB because he didn't think he had too.  When he had too, he did, and that was a week before the season started, because Manning was hiding the seriousness of his condition up until then.

Polian wasn't hiding the seriousness of Manning's injury from the fans, which is what you implied.

They can say they didn't know how bad it was which I don't believe at all. They knew he had a bulging disc which means they knew what a bulging disc does to nerves.  Polian never spent money on a competent backup because he gambled on Peyton never missing a game. He lost that bet. Peyton even said that he had his contract written in a way that gave Irsay an out if he couldn't continue. He knew that surgery was in his future and so did Irsay. 

10 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

346 of 545, 4,240 yards, 31 TDs, 13 interceptions..with a shoulder that was less than 100% all year

He also had a few Rushing TD's as well. Not sure how many right of hand. Overall those aren't eye popping Stats but Very Good numbers. He flew under the radar a bit outside of Indy because we were losing early and Houston was leading the Division all season. When you go 8-8, most people look at that more than anything.

52 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

So Jim is a doctor now too?

Hmmm, didn't know that.

i like the way you call him Jimmy too.  Very classy

U see how other fans here describe Jimmy based on his history of use. Saying shades is nothing, I was being kind.

10 hours ago, deedub75 said:

They can say they didn't know how bad it was which I don't believe at all. They knew he had a bulging disc which means they knew what a bulging disc does to nerves.  Polian never spent money on a competent backup because he gambled on Peyton never missing a game. He lost that bet. Peyton even said that he had his contract written in a way that gave Irsay an out if he couldn't continue. He knew that surgery was in his future and so did Irsay. 

Your first post in our conversation implied that Polian knew how bad the injury was and hid that from the fans...which is in the context of this thread...that big bad evil management knows more about Luck's injury that they are withholding from the fans...not that Polian made an honest but wrong QB decision.

If Polian knew the extent of the injury...that Peyton's nerve would not heel in time to start the season...he would have signed another QB much sooner than the last week of the offseason.  The fact that he waited so late to sign Collins proves...you don't even have to rely on a belief...it proves that he did not know the extent of Mannings nerve injury and, therefore, had no capacity to hide information from the fans.  If anybody hid how weak Mannings arm was, it was Maning himself because his contract could have been terminated...and eventually was.

You know, Manning, the guy a lot of people want to run the Colts, is the guy who most likely hid valuable information from everybody.

....and only his wife took HGH

18 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

Luck is one tough son of a gun. Played with a bum shoulder, and still threw over 4000 yards with 31 touchdowns. Imagine what he should look like with a healed shoulder.

I feel that with experience in the young line..all the WRs and TEs we have

.....Luck's going to be back and better than ever

On 1/19/2017 at 9:21 AM, Majin Vegeta said:

Why did he play all season with a lingering injury to his throwing shoulder? Especially the last games when we couldn't even make the playoffs. 

Good question!  OTOH, he is getting paid a huge sum, and fans show up at games to see certain players..

On 1/19/2017 at 10:03 AM, BullsColtsFan1 said:

Hopefully he has a quick and speedy recovery.  He's got 6 months or so to recover.  Hopefully it doesn't cause him any more issues from here on out!

If they cleaned it up well, he should be good for awhile, anyway.  But he plays a sport where it can be injured again and cause recurring issues.  Nature of the sport.

On 1/19/2017 at 11:32 AM, indy1888 said:

3 months before he can start throwing, 6 months for full recovery.  Will Carroll indicated this kind of timeline suggests a more in depth procedure then he initially thought. Also means he will miss a good part of the offseason programs.  

On 1/19/2017 at 0:37 PM, indy1888 said:

Outpatient surgery just means they didn't spend the night in hospital. Most surgeries to athletes are outpatient surgeries. A 6 month full recovery to me seems a bit much for just a little clean up.

That time frame above is not inconsistent of an arthroscopic "cleanup" procedure of a shoulder .

On 1/19/2017 at 0:50 PM, deedub75 said:

They said it was for rest. His shoulder is worse off then they led us to believe. 

Possibly not.  Maybe Luck was responding well to Physical therapy, but still had to be limited at times to be ready Sundays.  Maybe he has impinged range of motion or pain and is finally tired of it, and tired of missing some 'full' practices.  If rehab goes well, he should be fully recovered from the procedure by July.  How well the procedure resolved issues will then be on display with Luck's performance thereafter.

On 1/19/2017 at 1:44 PM, snkdy said:

Exactly. Reports say he can't even start throwing until mid-July. There's no time to instill a new offense. Continuity is what matters now given this injury.

Luck should begin to ramp up activity (and begin throwing some) in 2-4 months.  By 6 months he should be fully ready. He did not have open procedure like Larbrum repair, etc... which can be a much longer recovery..

On 1/20/2017 at 5:17 PM, B~Town said:

Not a doctor or know what type the injury was but being a out patient procedure gives me hope it is a very simple fix with minimal lasting affects .

I am not one either but I was skeptical of that from the start as. It's surgeries are out patient surgeries now a days.  I am not trying to predict doom and gloom but I wouldn't read too much into the out patient thing,  

On 1/19/2017 at 8:13 PM, jshipp23 said:

Luck was on the injury report with shoulder issues most of the year.

Having said that, I do remember a play late in the season...it may have even been Jax...when he appeared to aggravate it.

I don't have the time to rewatch the last few games, but I wonder if somebody could support me on that observation.