Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What makes everything think Manning knows how to build a football team?

Jaric

So, Jon Bon Jovi or Nikki Six should be considered for NFL GM positions because of their Arena League experience???   How many of these Arena League owners have become NFL GMs?  How many MLB, CFL, NBA....???  People don't successfully crossover like that because they are different businesses, with different contracts, with different talents, different everything.   You don't even see many college coaches make it in the NFL because even it is a different game.  I say Manning learns more from becoming an exec and learning on the move.        

21 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

So, Jon Bon Jovi or Nikki Six should be considered for NFL GM positions because of their Arena League experience???   How many of these Arena League owners have become NFL GMs?  How many MLB, CFL, NBA....???  People don't successfully crossover like that because they are different businesses, with different contracts, with different talents, different everything.   You don't even see many college coaches make it in the NFL because even it is a different game.  I say Manning learns more from becoming an exec and learning on the move.        

Really, that's your response?  You see know differences between being an investor and being active in the development of not only your team but in the league as a whole?

But I'll play and the answer to your absurd scenario is, no.  Just like being an owner of an Arena league didn't make Elway qualified for a GM role... as he stated himself.  But combine that experience with being involved in scouting, recruiting, managing salaries and deciding the short and long term direction of the team, with 16 years in the NFL and a year as VP of Football operations made him qualified to to become a GM of an NFL franchise.

Of all of that Peyton has 16 years of NFL experience.

1 hour ago, LockeDown said:

So, Jon Bon Jovi or Nikki Six should be considered for NFL GM positions because of their Arena League experience???   How many of these Arena League owners have become NFL GMs?  

How many of those AFL owners were actually involved in the day to day decision making of the organization? How many of them were on the league's executive committee? Elway wasn't just a figurehead, he actually ran the show. That gave him experience running a franchise, and even after that, he didn't feel he was qualified to be a GM for an NFL team. 

7 hours ago, Jaric said:

So the reoccurring meme since most of us got fed up with Grigson's fumbling about has been that Peyton Manning is going to ride in on a white horse, sprinkle whatever magic pixie dust Bob Sanders had in 2006 and everything with be unicorns and rainbows.

As much as I'd love that to happen, I'm not sure why anyone believes that 1.  Manning has any interest in running the Colts or that 2. Being super smart about X's and O's translated into team building.

I've initially just written this off as fanboi man crushes and wishful thinking but I want to be fair in case I'm missing something.

Has Manning shown any interest in running a front office and what makes any if you think knowing what hot route to switch to will translate into immediately knowing how to build and run a football team?

What made anyone think that Gruden is going to be the HC....I mean it's all just tabloid fodder anyways. If we are just going to make up stuff maybe we could make up a rumor that Grudens little work on his draft class show got Irsays attention and he is being brought in to build the Colts not coach them. Maybe Irsay just reached out to Peyton to see if he wanted a vp position or something to get his feet wet. All this speculation is rediculous...but watching Peyton break down tape and go over players when he was at Tennessee with all those coaches it isn't hard to see him getting involved back in football some way.

7 hours ago, Jaric said:

If I were him I'd be content to spend my millions, raise my kids, and spend time with my wife.  But then again, I'm not him so who knows what's in his heart.

Thats what sets people who are the BEST in the world at what they do.  They are not satisfied to "be content and spend their millions."

they are always moving forward, improving at something.  Its like breathing to them.

uber successful people get there for a reason, its not luck.

IT'S THEM!

peyton would be successful at anything he does.  Becaus he will work until he makes it so. Those hyper type A personalities don't know any other way.

2 hours ago, Superman said:

How many of those AFL owners were actually involved in the day to day decision making of the organization? How many of them were on the league's executive committee? Elway wasn't just a figurehead, he actually ran the show. That gave him experience running a franchise, and even after that, he didn't feel he was qualified to be a GM for an NFL team. 

You proved my point, imo.   If AFL was as great a learning tool as you say, then he should have felt comfortable stepping in.  Just a difference of opinion..  You say AFL was instrumental and I say being a coachs son, an NFL QB, close friends with the owner for years, learning the game, being a wise person, all had a greater effect on his success.  That's why you didn't buy my Bon Jovi example because it is ridiculous that simply owning and running an AFL team automatically qualifies you for an NFL GM job unless you have Elways football background to go along with it.  Rubs me the wrong way (might not have been you) saying Peyton's successful ventures don't help him.  History is littered with ex players who make bad decisions and lose their money.  Every decision he makes seems gold.  He learns how to act, make brand inducing commercials, invest wisely, .....he is a good decision maker.  There are bad decision makers who run AFL teams, in which case they would make a terrible GM.

3 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Really, that's your response?  You see know differences between being an investor and being active in the development of not only your team but in the league as a whole?

But I'll play and the answer to your absurd scenario is, no.  Just like being an owner of an Arena league didn't make Elway qualified for a GM role... as he stated himself.  But combine that experience with being involved in scouting, recruiting, managing salaries and deciding the short and long term direction of the team, with 16 years in the NFL and a year as VP of Football operations made him qualified to to become a GM of an NFL franchise.

Of all of that Peyton has 16 years of NFL experience.

See my absurd response to Superman.  We agree then that the AFL experience was the lesser significant factor.  That's all I am saying.  

1 hour ago, WoolMagnet said:

Thats what sets people who are the BEST in the world at what they do.  They are not satisfied to "be content and spend their millions."

they are always moving forward, improving at something.  Its like breathing to them.

uber successful people get there for a reason, its not luck.

IT'S THEM!

peyton would be successful at anything he does.  Becaus he will work until he makes it so. Those hyper type A personalities don't know any other way.

Peyton Manning: respected theoretical physicist

probably not

1 hour ago, LockeDown said:

That's why you didn't buy my Bon Jovi example because it is ridiculous that simply owning and running an AFL team automatically qualifies you for an NFL GM job

Not accurate. Bon Jovi didn't run and operate whatever AFL team he was associated with. He wasn't a member of the AFL executive committee. He was simply a figurehead, unlike Elway.

11 hours ago, Jaric said:

By the way, if Polian is attached to this proposition, I'm on board.

I have no doubt Manning has the tools to be successful as a GM, my concern is that he lacks experience and I'm not sure he's even interested which everyone just seems to assume he is.

The experience part is what worries me too. Elway did some work in the AFL before he started with Denver. If Manning did something similar, I would feel better about it.

7 hours ago, Jaric said:

Yeah he'll always have a place in the hearts of Colts fans.  Still I'd rather not find myself 3/4 years down the road here arguing why it's time I move in a new direction.

Side note, how awkward will it be for Andrew working for the guy he replaced?

Andrew would probably think its awesome. The Mannings and Lucks are supposedly pretty good friends, if I recall correctly. I don't think Andrew or Peyton would feel awkward about it.

Manning is one of the true legends of the NFL in the film room. Nobody outworked him in this regard. He also knows everything there is to know about offensive sets and reading defenses. You don't think that knowledge and film room ethic would translate into scouting? I disagree. When it comes to football smarts, I would bet on Manning every time.

15 hours ago, CR91 said:

Well what made the broncos think Elway could run their team

Actually, that is a darn good point CR91. If you would have told me that a 2 time SB Champion QB would turn into a phenomenal GM & front office guy shortly after retiring from the NFL, I would have laughed in your face & told you to "get outta here" with that nonsense. 

Uh huh. You're exactly right. No one saw that one coming except maybe owner Pat Bowlen.

1 hour ago, presto123 said:

Manning is one of the true legends of the NFL in the film room. Nobody outworked him in this regard. He also knows everything there is to know about offensive sets and reading defenses. You don't think that knowledge and film room ethic would translate into scouting? I disagree. When it comes to football smarts, I would bet on Manning every time.

The thing is it is a different mentality and skill set. Yes you can watch a tape and say "that guys good" at this or that,  but to be able to know if someone will be good two years down the line is a totally different thing.

Can you say with 100% certainty that Manning knows what to look for when looking for a project pass rusher?? If not, then he's not ready to be in charge of the people who do. 

Nothing against Manning, and I would love to see him step in as vp of football operations until he can learn what he needs to know to do the job properly, but I would be just as worried with him at gm as I am with grigson. Maybe more. 

Purely opinion, but I think I would rather suffer through a season of Manning learning on the job at being a GM, than another year of Grigson, because I think there might be more of a chance at seeing a light at the end of the tunnel with Manning.

And even learning on the fly, I dont believe Manning would run a draft as bad as 2013. 

6 minutes ago, Zalazar Elijahh said:

some people's disrespect of Peyton on this thread is making me sick

I wouldn't call it disrespect, no one is denying or taking away from what he's done. But when you walk into a position you've never held, you HAVE to raise skepticism. I have no doubt in my mind that PM would succeed at being a GM, but I'm just some random on a fan site.

3 hours ago, TDewar1987 said:

I wouldn't call it disrespect, no one is denying or taking away from what he's done. But when you walk into a position you've never held, you HAVE to raise skepticism. I have no doubt in my mind that PM would succeed at being a GM, but I'm just some random on a fan site.

I'm not even sure he'll succeed at GM but how can we not give him a shot he's not just a great QB he's a Top 5 all time QB and that's just a fact. Obviously he's been around the league for a very long time and has met and interacted with all different kinds of people over the years and has gained knowledge most of us probably couldn't even fathom. He deserves to come back and at least try and even if he does fall flat on his face the only thing worse would be if he went somewhere else and had success with them because we let him go kinda like we did a few years ago

13 minutes ago, Zalazar Elijahh said:

some people's disrespect of Peyton on this thread is making me sick

Not sure how anyone is disrespecting him... :scratch: 

If anything, he is highly respected by pretty much everyone here.   In fact, most respect him so much that they don't ever want to see him possibly fail at anything.  

I have faith in him that he will succeed in whatever he chooses to do.  I also believe he has the "smarts" to know what to do, and when to do it.    

Just because some think he may not be ready to jump into a GM position at this time, is in no way disrespecting him.

58 minutes ago, Pelt said:

Purely opinion, but I think I would rather suffer through a season of Manning learning on the job at being a GM, than another year of Grigson, because I think there might be more of a chance at seeing a light at the end of the tunnel with Manning.

And even learning on the fly, I dont believe Manning would run a draft as bad as 2013. 

Agreed