Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Gus Bradley as DC?

UKColt13

Just now, UKColt13 said:

Trouble is if we miss the playoffs (highly likely), I'd expect a clear out and the new GM and HC will want to start over.

It may be true if we clean house but I personally don't think Pagano and Grigson are going to be canned. I think Irsay gives them 1 more season to redeem themselves. The past drafting mistakes have caught up with us and Irsay knows that so I believe he's going to give them another season at least.

4 minutes ago, pgt_rob said:

It may be true if we clean house but I personally don't think Pagano and Grigson are going to be canned. I think Irsay gives them 1 more season to redeem themselves. The past drafting mistakes have caught up with us and Irsay knows that so I believe he's going to give them another season at least.

I don't disagree with this and I don't see Pagano firing his first time D.C. Friend he just brought in after one season. D.C. Was not the worst issue on our team, Chad IMO was the weakest coach, closely followed up by Pagano and I only say Pagano because he is honestly the one who makes sure these OC and D.C. Game plans are developed properly.  

20 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

I would like to give Ted another year as it was his first season. But I didn't like the fact he consistently rushed 4 guys and expected our secondary to hold up. He did have times where he showed some unique blitzes but not nearly enough. 

Agreed on the blitzes

I think you seek continuity with Ted Monachino and give him better players to work with through the draft and free agency.  That is what I think.  I don't think you run for every flavor of the month that comes available.  We'll be in the second year of our scheme which cuts down the learning curve considerably and he'll have or should have better players to work with.   I'm confident this D will look better next season as long the injury bug doesn't rip us apart.

20 minutes ago, krunk said:

I think you seek continuity with Ted Monachino and give him better players to work with through the draft and free agency.  That is what I think.  I don't think you run for every flavor of the month that comes available.  We'll be in the second year of our scheme which cuts down the learning curve considerably and he'll have or should have better players to work with.   I'm confident this D will look better next season as long the injury bug doesn't rip us apart.

Me too...unfortunately, the injury bug has been really the one constant for the Colts the last 10+ years lol

24 minutes ago, krunk said:

I think you seek continuity with Ted Monachino and give him better players to work with through the draft and free agency.  That is what I think.  I don't think you run for every flavor of the month that comes available.

I agree for the most part, however the one guy that I'd make an exception for is Rex Ryan. He's a dead man walking in Buffalo right now, and will be looking for a new job in a couple of weeks.

2 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I agree for the most part, however the one guy that I'd make an exception for is Rex Ryan. He's a dead man walking in Buffalo right now, and will be looking for a new job in a couple of weeks.

I don't think Rex has much interest in being a coordinator anymore.  It's just my gut, but I realize he might not have much choice.  Just don't think we'll go in Rex direction.  I say stay with Ted.

6 minutes ago, krunk said:

I don't think Rex has much interest in being a coordinator anymore.  It's just my gut, but I realize he might not have much choice.  Just don't think we'll go in Rex direction.  I say stay with Ted.

Teds defense will work if we just get younger and more athletic on that side of the ball.

35 minutes ago, krunk said:

This is the tricky reality that Irsay has to face next week if either Tennessee or Houston win...On one hand we have the argument for continuity and potential growth of a staff that has only worked together for a year.  Specific to Monachino, it's fair to wonder what type of a DC he could still become.  On the other hand we have what has become an overwhelming amount of evidence to suggest that a Pagano led staff doesn't gameplan well enough among other coach specific concerns.

Winning on the road against Minny in overwhelming fashion doesn't make it any easier.

1 hour ago, ztboiler said:

This is the tricky reality that Irsay has to face next week if either Tennessee or Houston win...On one hand we have the argument for continuity and potential growth of a staff that has only worked together for a year.  Specific to Monachino, it's fair to wonder what type of a DC he could still become.  On the other hand we have what has become an overwhelming amount of evidence to suggest that a Pagano led staff doesn't gameplan well enough among other coach specific concerns.

Winning on the road against Minny in overwhelming fashion doesn't make it any easier.

I think the biggest evidence against them will be if they can't cut the mustard with improved personnel and also the continuity they've been speaking about.   I'll give them another season to show me what I'm looking for.

8 minutes ago, krunk said:

I think the biggest evidence against them will be if they can't cut the mustard with improved personnel and also the continuity they've been speaking about.   I'll give them another season to show me what I'm looking for.

That's understood, and certainly the likely outcome.  But, I never expected this staff to pile up the clear cut scheme deficiencies that it has this year...and I don't think Irsay did either.

The only way I see the Colts bringing in Gus Bradley as defensive coordinator is is Pagano is fired or they decide to go to the 4-3.

I expect Pagano to be back as head coach even though i'm hoping he is not. I also don't see the Colts moving to the 4-3 although I have come to prefer that they do.

I do however like Bradley. I believe he is a good coach who had a QB who wasn't able to build off of what he did last year in part because he had some mechanics issues along with making some bad decisions on the field and key injuries to his weapons (Hurns, Allen, Thomas) who missed significant time. They have an O Line that is worse than ours

I don't think Bradley was the big problem. Winning starts with players not coaches

1 hour ago, egg said:

I have no problem with the D coaching now. Players seem to be routinely in position to make plays, and execution has improved throughout the year. In the last three games the defense has given up only two touchdowns. IMO they need more talent, but not a new coach.

I agree 100% it's not a coaching thing it's a lack of talent thing. Cause guys are in the position to make plays but are out matched so I think we just need a game wrecking pass rusher and a real beast at the nose and we will see a lot of improvement with Clayton, green, hassan, henry, etc.... Getting more exp 

1 hour ago, Somewhere ovr the Waynebow said:

Poor coaching really hasn't been an issue on defense.  More a problem of lack of talent.  So,  give  them a chance with some real players.

Ironically, the opposite is true for the offense.  Good players, poor coaching.  

Yea bro I agree 100% I routinely see guys in the right places but fail to make the play which is more to do with talent than coaching tbh 

7 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Wouldn't consider it he took a great defense and made it trash with that zone crap 

9 hours ago, pgt_rob said:

I think we should roll with Ted. I like his experience.

As of today:

Ted Monachino: <1 year as defensive coordinator

Gus Bradley: 3 years as defensive coordinator

Ted Monachino: 0 years as head coach

Gus Bradley: >3 years as head coach

Ted Monachino: 0 years as a college defensive coordinator

Gus Bradley: 14 years as a college defensive coordinator

By no means do I advocate for hiring Bradley; I'm of the opinion he had really talented players that made his defense look better than it was in Seattle.  However, if experience is what you're looking for, Bradley is the far more qualified option

I think we should roll with Ted. I like his experience.

As of today:

Ted Monachino:

Gus Bradley: 3 years as defensive coordinator

Ted Monachino: 0 years as head coach

Gus Bradley: >3 years as head coach

Ted Monachino: 0 years as a college defensive coordinator

Gus Bradley: 14 years as a college defensive coordinator

By no means do I advocate for hiring Bradley; I'm of the opinion he had really talented players that made his defense look better than it was in Seattle.  However, if experience is what you're looking for, Bradley is the far more qualified option

For some reason I thought Ted was with the Ravens longer than 5 years. Thanks for the info.