Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jim Irsays Surprise Hire As Head Coach Is....

unitaswestand

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Since Irsay says we will have a coach soon and there will be some surprises over the next few weeks, I am curious who you think the HC will be after that is said. I know Tressel is getting a lot of press in that area. But my darkhorse pick is Jon Gruden.

Please, just no. Worst choice possible. I'd be happier with Jim Zorn. I mean seriously. Gruden's claim to fame is riding the back of a Dungy superbowl readied team to a trophy. What's he done beyond that pray tell?

Please, just no. Worst choice possible. I'd be happier with Jim Zorn. I mean seriously. Gruden's claim to fame is riding the back of a Dungy superbowl readied team to a trophy. What's he done beyond that pray tell?

If the team was that ready why did'nt Dungy get them over the top. He had plenty of time.

I love how people don't give Jon Gruden credit. He knows far more X's AND O's than Jim Caldwell.

Since Irsay says we will have a coach soon and there will be some surprises over the next few weeks, I am curious who you think the HC will be after that is said. I know Tressel is getting a lot of press in that area. But my darkhorse pick is Jon Gruden.

1) He is very good with the West Coast offense, which is pretty much what the Eagles have run under Reid. Grigson is already schooled in getting players for that type of team.

2) He is still considered a great developer of NFL QBs. Very enticing for Andrew Luck and very QB friendly for Peyton Manning.

3) He has never stopped his gushing of Peyton Manning.

4) He lives in Florida and that is where the Irsay jet has been rumored to have been.

I honestly think Gruden is a good HC. The problem with him, with many coaches, is that he started getting too much input in personnel. And he never had a real good QB at TB. But if he simply coached, he could be very good. He fits the profile.

That is my surprise pick. Curious who you all think the HC will be?

ummm tressel lives in florida too buddy. Jon Gruden has already said he isnt coming back to coach, he likes being in the booth

Right and Jim Harbaugh did that with Singletarys team too huh? NOT!

ummm tressel lives in florida too buddy. Jon Gruden has already said he isnt coming back to coach, he likes being in the booth

I kinow Tressel lives in that area. But trying to read Irsays tweets, I don't know that it is such a surprise anymore if Tressel were hired because it is rumored so much. So if he is looking to really surprise, Gruden would do that because nobody has heard anything about them even talking. Gruden has said he is retired, but he also has said he would love to coach Peyton Manning. He may change his mind.

I can agree with the rest, but this is news to me. If anything, Gruden was renowned for not having the patience to deal with young QBs, preferring to deal with veterans instead. He ran with Donald Hollas and Jeff George (both in their early 30s at the time) in Oakland before moving onto a 34 year old Rich Gannon (and left with Gannon still as the starter, at age 36.) He didn't develop Marques Tuiasosopo (I think I spelled it right) a lick, though he was only there in his first season.

Tampa Bay? Started with 34 year old Brad Johnson, ran with him until he was 36 and inserted a 29 year old Brian Griese. This was 2004, a year after he drafted Chris Simms in the 3rd. Started Simms and Gradkowski the next two seasons, neither impressed. Started Jeff Garcia, 37, the next. He ended with a combo of Garcia and a now 30 something Griese.

All in all, I don't think he developed any QB, though he certainly helped Gannon's career. What I see is a guy who has no patience for young QBs and has never properly developed one in his career. Who'd he develop? Steve Young in his one year with San Fran? Mike Holmgren has more claim to that. Not to mention I think Gruden was just quality control.

Good points, but I would say this. He really hasn't had a really good young QB as a HC to develop. Shaun King? He had seven mediocre vets he did much with. His reputation came from working as a coordinator. I don't think Bill Walsh could develop Shawn King.

I think you must have misunderstood. I didn't hear that at all

Did anyone else hear that?

It was the day we fired Polian.

Here you go:

http://www.colts.com...nnelName=Recent You will have to go to page 2 and select

Jim Irsay Press Conference Posted 01/02/12

I guess I will be nice and save you time by letting you know to skim forward at the 33 minute mark. ;)

Wrong! He took the Bucs and played against his former team the Raiders.

True, but I think the poster's point was that Gruden had done something other than take the Bucs to a SB win - which I said he hadn't. Indeed he took the Raiders to the playoffs in the 2000 and 2001 seasons, so yes, he has done something. But you are also factually correct, his win came with the Bucs.

Hiring Gruden assures that Peyton Manning is back and starts at QB next season..

AND that Andrew Luck is drafted to sit behind him..and take over in 3-4 years

That's the only way Gruden is gong to come out of retirement (on Easy Street) to get back in the NFL wars

Why do you want the Colts to draft Andrew Luck, but have him sit for 3-4 years? That's not a good way to develop a QB. Especially one who thinks he can play in the NFL.

If management knew Manning was healed, ready to compete at a high level for 3-4 years, why would they spend the the #1 pick on a guy to ride the pine?

True, but I think the poster's point was that Gruden had done something other than take the Bucs to a SB win - which I said he hadn't. Indeed he took the Raiders to the playoffs in the 2000 and 2001 seasons, so yes, he has done something. But you are also factually correct, his win came with the Bucs.

I misspoke...he took the Raiders to the AFC Championship vs the Ravens (2000) and then lost to the Patriots in the playoffs because of the "tuck rule" in 2001...after 2001, he only had one season left on his contract and the Bucs traded FOUR draft picks (firsts seconds thirds) to the Raiders in order to obtain Gruden...the follwing year, Gruden's Raider team went to the Super Bowl and was defeated by Gruden's NEW team, Tampa Bay, making Gruden the THEN youngest coach to ever win a super bowl.

A lot of people like to say that Gruden took Dungy's team to the super bowl then ran the team into the ground...but the fact is, Dungy wasnt able to win with that team . Also needs mentioning that Gruden wasnt responsible for running the Tampa team into the ground...the GM gave away 4 of their top picks in those two drafts in order to get Gruden and the team was also in salary cap despare when he arrived, and had a GM who drafted HIS guys and wouldnt accept input from Gruden.

Good points, but I would say this. He really hasn't had a really good young QB as a HC to develop. Shaun King? He had seven mediocre vets he did much with. His reputation came from working as a coordinator. I don't think Bill Walsh could develop Shawn King.

While I agree that he didn't have much to build with, I'm not convinced it's not partially his fault. Chris Simms was a decent prospect who Gruden did nothing with. Everyone of his teams needed a young QB in any given year. Every one. Aside from Marques Tuiasosopo in the second and Simms in the third, no Gruden team has ever devoted a first 3 round pick to one. A bunch of mediocre veteran QBs in 11 years and the man either never convinces or never selects a QB in the first? A bunch of mediocre veterans and Gruden teams pass on Brees and Pennington. Out of 90 picks, Gruden led teams have only taken 4 QBs, 2 in the old first day (round 1-3), and the other 2 in rounds 5 and 6? He was either unwilling to develop QBs or just didn't care to draft them. I'll grant him that his teams always had picks in the middle of the rounds to the later end. But his teams finished at or under .500 5 out of 11 years, and only one game over for two more of those. So it's not like his team was doing great with those vets.

Nonetheless, my point that he can't be called a developer of young QBs stands. Perhaps he can indeed do so, but his history does not show as much.

Why do you want the Colts to draft Andrew Luck, but have him sit for 3-4 years? That's not a good way to develop a QB. Especially one who thinks he can play in the NFL.

If management knew Manning was healed, ready to compete at a high level for 3-4 years, why would they spend the the #1 pick on a guy to ride the pine?

Last i checked, both Steve Young and Aaron Rodgers had to "ride the pine" behind future Hall of Fame QBs and they both seemed to benefit greatly from doing so.

The reason you take the best QB of our generation to sit until Peyton retires is because its very rare to be in position to draft such a QB with a Hall of Fame QB already on the team. Look, we need a good back up QB NOW and will need a future franchise QB to start once Peyton does retire...if Peyton were 30yrs old and had 10yrs left i would agree, trade the pick...but the fact that his contract has a mere 4 seasons left on it, and its not a garauntee that he plays all 4yrs, it is a no brainer to take the QB to lead your team once Peyton retires....by that time, he will be comfortable and ready to go

Just announce the coach already Irsay.

Yep, I think the Colts have known who they will hire for some time now. JMV has said "several" potentials have declined to even interview. Jay Gruden included, this tells me that something was / is already cooking.

I can't wait to hear the news.

My wish list NOW.....

Zimmer

Tressel

and after this .... unless a "known" is hired I think the Colts will be scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Don't want Marty M, Childress, or any OC who's QB is Brees, Brady, Rodgers... (fools gold I fear)

Yep, I think the Colts have known who they will hire for some time now. JMV has said "several" potentials have declined to even interview. Jay Gruden included, this tells me that something was / is already cooking.

I can't wait to hear the news.

My wish list NOW.....

Zimmer

Tressel

and after this .... unless a "known" is hired I think the Colts will be scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Don't want Marty M, Childress, or any OC who's QB is Brees, Brady, Rodgers... (fools gold I fear)

I could get with Zimmer. Didn't know too much about him initially but after seeing how excited some here were about him and researching him a bit, I think he could be interesting at least. Tressel doesn't excite me at all though. I would love to see Billick as a surprise hire but I realize that isn't likely to happen.

Also needs mentioning that Gruden wasnt responsible for running the Tampa team into the ground...the GM gave away 4 of their top picks in those two drafts in order to get Gruden and the team was also in salary cap despare when he arrived, and had a GM who drafted HIS guys and wouldnt accept input from Gruden.

I still don't like him as Colts head coach....

Just say :no: .