Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Andrew Luck, Colts near blockbuster extension

CF4L

So what are people thinking he lands? I see reports saying expect $25 mil annually or more, I think that sounds a bit rich but honestly I could see it. I would think something along the lines of 6 years, $141 mil, $97 mil guaranteed (annually that's 23.5 mil 16.2 guaranteed) sounds to me like a really good contract for both sides and should be able to get done. It still puts Luck as the #1 paid player in the league, and allows him one more bite at the free agency market when he's in his 30s. But what say you guys? 

19 minutes ago, NorthernBlue said:

Irsay originally wanted 10 years? All I can say is WOW

Irsay was right. He wanted to lock Luck in at current prices for 10 years instead of worrying about re-doing an extension after 5. That would allow the Colts to back load the contract and make it cap friendly as well. The per year figure and length of the contract are not nearly as important as guaranteed money in NFL contracts. 

From a player point of view, that is why Luck and his folks probably declined it because they could possibly end up getting more guaranteed money with 2 five year contracts than one 10 yr. contract.

1 hour ago, Coffeedrinker said:

You mean over a decade of being a top team in the NFL, 2 SB appearances, 1 SB win.

Yeah, who would want another decade like that?

Well some around here didn't think that was enough because we won just 1 SB. Besides Polian despite my issues with him is a lot more competent as a GM most of his time here than Grigson has been.

1 hour ago, Superman said:

Manning's contract didn't hurt the Colts. Stop it.

I never said it did but Irsay did. It was one of the reasons he cut him it was too much to pay for one player even though he bragged about it to begin with.

Now he's repeating the same "mistake" at least be consistent. 

Whether it's 6/138 or 23 per...

or 6/144 or 24 per...

or 6/150 or 25 per....      the key number is how much are the guarantees and how are they paid out?

How much the first year in one big lump sum?     Hum much the 2nd year and the 3rd year?

How much are the total guarantees for the first 3 years.       That's how money is really counted in the NFL these days.     That's what I'm keeping an eye on.

Luck will get,  but there has to be enough money left over to pay for the rest of the team to built around him.

If he can get Luck to bite on a 10-year deal, why not?  He doesn't HAVE to keep him if he falls off before that.  But if he doesn't the Colts get a good to potentially great player at what will be a bargain $25M/year in about 3 years or so.

1 hour ago, CF4L said:

Well some around here didn't think that was enough because we won just 1 SB. Besides Polian despite my issues with him is a lot more competent as a GM most of his time here than Grigson has been.

The numbers and record does not show that. It remains to be seen at this point.

2 hours ago, Superman said:

Manning's contract didn't hurt the Colts. Stop it.

Absurd. Of course paying him such a disproportionate piece of the cap Hurt the TEAM. Good grief!!

Luck is not a quick thinker and lacks arm talent.  GL paying him top $$$.
   A good chance that in a couple years he will be the 3rd best QB in the AFC South.

15 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Absurd. Of course paying him such a disproportionate piece of the cap Hurt the TEAM. Good grief!!

A good chance that in a couple years he will be the 3rd best QB in the AFC South.

And you just lost all credibility for me...

31 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

You cant be serious? That has to be one of the most uninformed comments you have ever made.

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

The numbers and record does not show that. It remains to be seen at this point.

Really outside of Luck and Hilton what draft picks has Grigson really hit a home run at I mean I don't even care for Polian at all but he managed to hit a home run every year until 2007.

14 minutes ago, CF4L said:

Really outside of Luck and Hilton what draft picks has Grigson really hit a home run at I mean I don't even care for Polian at all but he managed to hit a home run every year until 2007.

Hitting what you call home runs does not mean winning play off games. Grigson is farther along at this point than Polian was as far as winning games and especially play off games. Polian won a lot of regular season games but his playoff record left a lot to be desired. Having a more balanced team is more important than having a hand full of home run hitters IMO. Yes we had some pro bowl players but we always lacked a good enough team to support those players. We had a fantastic offense with a pretty good rush but the inability to have a defense or special teams to complement those was glaring. It showed in the playoffs year after year. Would we have even won a super bowl had we not played a pretty poor Chicago team that was being lead by a less that average QB? Only time will give us those answers.

1 hour ago, CF4L said:

2012 - Hilton

2013 - no one

2014 - moncrief + mewhort combine for 1 home run, each is half a home run if you will.

2015 - Hank anderson

2016 - Kelly (jury is out for all of the draft picks obviously)

15 hours ago, NorthernBlue said:

Irsay originally wanted 10 years? All I can say is WOW

According to Irsay, neither side has discussed a 10 year contract.  His quote is in the Indystar today.

16 hours ago, CF4L said:

I am pretty sure the team does not make decisions based on a spoiled fan bases expectations.

Yes Polian with the Colts was a much better GM than Grigson has been.  I'm not a huge Grigson fan but keep in mind that we as fans saw a more finished product in Polian, he had received his lumps in Buffalo and Carolina.

So, Grigson could end up being a great GM... for another team :)

17 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

LMAO...... I imagine you were a big Akili Smith fan weren't you?

16 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Hitting what you call home runs does not mean winning play off games. Grigson is farther along at this point than Polian was as far as winning games and especially play off games. Polian won a lot of regular season games but his playoff record left a lot to be desired. Having a more balanced team is more important than having a hand full of home run hitters IMO. Yes we had some pro bowl players but we always lacked a good enough team to support those players. We had a fantastic offense with a pretty good rush but the inability to have a defense or special teams to complement those was glaring. It showed in the playoffs year after year. Would we have even won a super bowl had we not played a pretty poor Chicago team that was being lead by a less that average QB? Only time will give us those answers.

Who said anything about playoff games I'm referring to guys who have a future here.

1998- Manning

1999- Edge

2001- Reggie

2002- Dwight

These are a few outside of Luck/Hilton and Moncrief isn't bad either not really seeing a lot of long term success of the players he's drafted.

22 hours ago, CF4L said:

I never said it did but Irsay did. It was one of the reasons he cut him it was too much to pay for one player even though he bragged about it to begin with.

Now he's repeating the same "mistake" at least be consistent. 

When did Irsay EVER say that?

Spoiler alert: He didn't, but please provide whatever you have that shows Irsay saying any of that in bold up there, or that Manning's contract hurt the Colts at any point.

20 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

1) Pretty much everything you just posted is nonsense, specifically about Luck, but what else is new...

2) To the bolded, no it didn't. First, Manning never accounted for a "disproprotionate piece" of the salary cap. Secondly, you pay your QB, especially your All World QB, and you do so with a smile on your face. It's up to the GM and the coaching staff to draft well, manage the roster well, and coach well, and the Colts didn't always do that.

Within the last four years, at some point I did some research to determine what percentage of the cap Manning's contract accounted for while he was a Colt. I can't find it right now, but I believe his highest cap hit percentage was either 13% or 16%, from memory.

So you have a four time MVP at QB, a player who basically guaranteed you at least 10 wins every year from 2002 to 2010, and he's accounting for at most 16% of your salary cap. Would you consider that team to be hamstrung or in any way limited because of the QB contract? With the remaining 84% of your cap, you can't put together a championship level roster? That's nonsense.

The most important position in team sports period is QB. When you have a great one, you recognize that it comes at a cost. You have two choices: 1) Pay him 1/6th of your cap and make due with the the other 5/6ths as you build a contender, or 2) let him walk and try to find a cheaper QB who is good enough to start on a contender. It can be argued that there aren't enough QBs who are good enough to start on a contender in the entire league (world?)

Hope that you have a QB good enough to command big money. Then pay him. Figure out the rest, but again, it's all about drafting well and coaching well. This is not a hard concept to grasp.

By the way, if the salary cap continues to increase by 7% each year, which is a little conservative, then a $25m average over ten years would account for less than 12% of the salary cap, on average. The top five QB cap hits in 2016 will account for 15% of the salary cap, on average.

People should get over this. I don't think Luck will get $25m/year, but if he did get 10 years, $250m, it would be a good deal for the Colts. 

/rant