Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Reitz vs Good

Footballlax31

I wanted to see what people's opinions were on who would win the right tackle job. I know we still have the draft and a lot of things could change but who do you guys see starting?

I believe Good will win the starting job based on youth, hype, and performance. Good did good (no pun intended) when he played for Reitz when AC got hurt.

He is big, strong and can move. Pagano has described him as a dancing bear and stands at 6ft 5in and 340 he is a big man

After the Tampa Bay game colts.com had a write up on him.

Good did play a decent game, with a shuffled Colts offensive line. Watch the tape, and you'll see the sacks allowed to Tampa Bay were due in large part to good coverage. His holding penalty before halftime kept his 40-year-old quarterback from taking a brutal shot. Pro Football Focus gave Good a grade of 75.0 after his debut, solidly in the "Starter" range for the scouting site's 0-100 scale

http://m.colts.com/news/article-1/Dancing-Bear-Denzelle-Good-Plays-Hell-of-a-Game-After-Unorthodox-Journey/91177cbe-9e29-4b5b-a80d-600dec54e046

Reitz is good, but I rather him be a 6 man especially with the injuries we had last year. It would not hurt either if we got more youth on the o line.

So if Good gets a lot of reps in preseason/training camp and can learn to cut down on the mental mistakes (false starts/holding) he can turn into a great starter for years to come.

What are your guys opinions?

It all depends on if Good can cut down on those mental mistakes. At this point I would say Reitz is the smarter pick, but good definitely has more upside and if he can show improvement in the offseason then he should get the nod to start at RT.  Tough to know at this point who will end up the starter, but I would say Reitz has played well enough for the spot to be his until Good can prove he deserves it more. 

28 minutes ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

It all depends on if Good can cut down on those mental mistakes. At this point I would say Reitz is the smarter pick, but good definitely has more upside and if he can show improvement in the offseason then he should get the nod to start at RT.  Tough to know at this point who will end up the starter, but I would say Reitz has played well enough for the spot to be his until Good can prove he deserves it more. 

Reitz is definitely the safer pick. He did play well enough to earn the right to start but from a upside standpoint I feel like Good will be better. If Good is not ready by day one we can just plug Reitz in and be set.

36 minutes ago, Footballlax31 said:

I feel like Good could possibly play guard. He has good movement and could get to the second level. Has Reitz played guard before and how did he do?

Reitz has been a long term backup swingman for the colts and has played a lot of guard.  

From what I remember most people on here thought he should have started at guard a long time ago.

23 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Just now, Valpo2004 said:

Reitz has been a long term backup swingman for the colts and has played a lot of guard.  

From what I remember most people on here thought he should have started at guard a long time ago.

I seem to remember that too. His swing man ability though is why I think we should go Good over Reitz. He has experience at LT, RT, and guard and if someone like AC or Thornton go down Reitz would be a nice stop gag

Since Irsay called for a younger team and the fact he has made a point to brag on Good, I'm assuming Good is the starter.  Reitz has always been 2nd fiddle for whatever reason and I can't imagine why they would change their minds now about him.

4 hours ago, LockeDown said:

Since Irsay called for a younger team and the fact he has made a point to brag on Good, I'm assuming Good is the starter.  Reitz has always been 2nd fiddle for whatever reason and I can't imagine why they would change their minds now about him.

You think Irsay makes personnel decisions?

4 hours ago, Footballlax31 said:

I feel like Good could possibly play guard. He has good movement and could get to the second level. Has Reitz played guard before and how did he do?

I think Good is too tall to play guard well. He has good strength, good footwork and very good hands. I think he needs more experience, which he will probably get in TC.

4 minutes ago, BOTT said:

You think Irsay makes personnel decisions?

Grigson is proud of his find, but he has said before that he feels uncomfortable throwing a rookie on the Oline.  Now we have Irsay saying we have to get younger, do you think that was his idea or Grigsons?  I think Good will get a better chance of starting now that Irsay has laid down the law.  We will see.

4 minutes ago, CoachLite said:

I think Good is too tall to play guard well. He has good strength, good footwork and very good hands. I think he needs more experience, which he will probably get in TC.

Jake Mewhort is 6"6 304lbs and Andrew luck is taller too. So I think with experience Good could be a great guard too.

1 minute ago, LockeDown said:

Grigson is proud of his find, but he has said before that he feels uncomfortable throwing a rookie on the Oline.  Now we have Irsay saying we have to get younger, do you think that was his idea or Grigsons?  I think Good will get a better chance of starting now that Irsay has laid down the law.  We will see.

I wish he kept Freeman though :wall:

Just now, LockeDown said:

I think he was probably just talking to the coaches about Goodes potential and then mentioned it in an interview.

i don't care if they stick a 50 yr old on the line as long as he can block.

6 minutes ago, BOTT said:

I think he was probably just talking to the coaches about Goodes potential and then mentioned it in an interview.

i don't care if they stick a 50 yr old on the line as long as he can block.

Dungy told a story where he and Polian wanted different players in a draft.  Dungy wanted a defensive guy and Polian a TE.  They told Irsay and he said he would let them work it out.  He started to leave, turned around and said "but if it were me , I'd take the TE".  and they did.  Dallas Clark.  So yeah, he's involved in his own way.

I don't think there is any reasonable basis for criticizing how Good performed during his rookie year.  He's a late round draft pick from a small school.  I would not expect him to start.  He gave us more than what I would expect.

He has shown enough potential that I would not draft an OL with the intent of using that rookie at RT.  I would give Good some time.  That doesn't even consider the fact that Reitz is good enough to start at RT, based upon how he played last year, and late in the season the year before.

The mock drafts that show the Colts taking a OL to play RT are just totally off base, IMO.  There are much better ways to spend the #18 pick than Conklin or Decker.

I think they'd start Good first and I think he'll improve with experience and coaching.  Or...they may draft a RT and Good remains a backup, so the camp battle may be Reitz vs. Thornton  

Reitz is like a Chevy from the 1950's....strong and reliable.  Not particularly stellar, but very solid.  He's been a backup and I think will continue to fill in that role as he can play G or T.  I enjoyed watching him against Watt at tackle.  

5 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

Honestly I'd like to draft an RT in the first round and move Reitz inside.  

The problem is, for whatever reason, Reitz is susceptible to lower leg injuries when playing G.  He struggled with that a couple of years ago, and last year, he filled in at RG during a game and got hobbled like the second play into it.

1 hour ago, LockeDown said:

Dungy told a story where he and Polian wanted different players in a draft.  Dungy wanted a defensive guy and Polian a TE.  They told Irsay and he said he would let them work it out.  He started to leave, turned around and said "but if it were me , I'd take the TE".  and they did.  Dallas Clark.  So yeah, he's involved in his own way.

Not the most convincing story

Just now, GoColtsWin said:

I'm hoping Conklin is there when we pull the trigger at 18. Maybe someone who can play G/C in the 3rd. That would make me very happy. Anyon see the video of Conklin in an interview stating he thinks he can handle JJ Watt! Kid has major backbone!

I saw the vid on Nfl.com today. 

15 minutes ago, GoColtsWin said:

I'm hoping Conklin is there when we pull the trigger at 18. Maybe someone who can play G/C in the 3rd. That would make me very happy. Anyone see the video of Conklin in an interview stating he thinks he can handle JJ Watt! Kid has major backbone!

Which kid going it the draft doesn't say things like that though?

I'd much rather watch the video of Reitz actually handling JJ Watt last year. Talk is cheap.

26 minutes ago, GoColtsWin said:

I'm hoping Conklin is there when we pull the trigger at 18. Maybe someone who can play G/C in the 3rd. That would make me very happy. Anyone see the video of Conklin in an interview stating he thinks he can handle JJ Watt! Kid has major backbone!

all that confidence would last about one snap.

9 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I don't think there is any reasonable basis for criticizing how Good performed during his rookie year.  He's a late round draft pick from a small school.  I would not expect him to start.  He gave us more than what I would expect.

He has shown enough potential that I would not draft an OL with the intent of using that rookie at RT.  I would give Good some time.  That doesn't even consider the fact that Reitz is good enough to start at RT, based upon how he played last year, and late in the season the year before.

The mock drafts that show the Colts taking a OL to play RT are just totally off base, IMO.  There are much better ways to spend the #18 pick than Conklin or Decker.

I absolutely agree with you. The only knock on Good is the mental mistakes (false starts/holding). The people who do the mocks just think we need o line help in general. We need help at C and RG not so much RT. I would say 50% of "experts" mock drafts are Conklin or Decker.

7 hours ago, RomanianColtsFan said:

Reitz is Colts' 2nd best lineman (after Castonzo) but I do hope Good improves enough to take over at RT, in which case Reitz can play guard again. 

Mewhort is #2 imo and I think he played better than AC last year when Mewhort was playing LG. He and AC are the only bright spots on our o line right now. Reitz was good but not great and I think Mewhort will break out this year

16 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

Honestly I'd like to draft an RT in the first round and move Reitz inside.  

Reitz is a better G. It remains to be seen if this GM is going to pony(pun intended)up and use a high draft pick on an offensive linemen. I will say that we have a number of needs including but not limited to: OLB, ILB, S, CB, RB so I think we could go just about anywhere in the first round.

I know this has nothing to with this thread, IMOP Colts will go DL in the first due to Reitz being able to  play Just about any position on the line he can start or play plug in due to injuries. I was impressed in the way Good performed last year considering he was a late round pick he will get as plenty of reps at RT, Lets see if he can cut down on the mental errors during OTA and training camp. I believe colts will go after spriggs or ifedl in 2nd RD either one can play RT or RG. And see if their is a true center somewhere in the mix here.

1 hour ago, Archangel said:

I know this has nothing to with this thread, IMOP Colts will go DL in the first due to Reitz being able to  play Just about any position on the line he can start or play plug in due to injuries. I was impressed in the way Good performed last year considering he was a late round pick he will get as plenty of reps at RT, Lets see if he can cut down on the mental errors during OTA and training camp. I believe colts will go after spriggs or ifedl in 2nd RD either one can play RT or RG. And see if their is a true center somewhere in the mix here.

Who do you like at d line? There are a couple going around right were we pick. Billings to name one