Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Reitz vs Good

Footballlax31

On 4/13/2016 at 4:07 PM, LockeDown said:

Since Irsay called for a younger team and the fact he has made a point to brag on Good, I'm assuming Good is the starter.  Reitz has always been 2nd fiddle for whatever reason and I can't imagine why they would change their minds now about him.

Irsay may well like Good, but he is a smart man.  While he will consult the coaches and ask questions etc ... he will not dictate personnel and depth charts.  The Coaches d0 that.  When Front Office folk and the GM's dictate starting lineups etc... bad things begin to happen.

I think the rehiring of Pagano after lengthy meetings probably underscored much of this.  I think the coaches will make honest efforts to reward those that earn spots in camp, not because of tenure or pay grade.

17 hours ago, indyagent17 said:

Good has all the physical stats,  long arms, stout and quick footed.  Those are items you cannot coach since they are God given.  Mistakes are coachable and this could be the year he turns the corner.

Plus we have Philbin now too and he seems like a guy that could help Good cut down on the mental mistakes.

23 hours ago, BOTT said:

all that confidence would last about one snap.

Gotta play the best, to be the best. I would be willing to let iron sharpen iron, because I think Conklin can come in immediately and make us better. Good can slide inside and Reitz can play wherever is needed. Not like we don't need quality depth along tho OL, because injury's are a fact of life. 

9 minutes ago, GoColtsWin said:

Gotta play the best' to be the best. I would be willing to let iron sharpen iron, because I think Conklin can come in immediately and make us better. Goog can slide inside and Reitz can play wherever is needed. Not like we don't need quality depth along tho OL' because injury's are a fact of life. 

And another reason to take Conklin if he's there is just like what makes Reitz so great to have on the team is that he can play multiple positions across the line. Filling multiple needs with one pick seems like a pick well used, especially knowing what we know about what it's like when Luck is out. Something we can all agree on I'm sure. 

On April 14, 2016 at 8:48 PM, LockeDown said:

Dungy told a story where he and Polian wanted different players in a draft.  Dungy wanted a defensive guy and Polian a TE.  They told Irsay and he said he would let them work it out.  He started to leave, turned around and said "but if it were me , I'd take the TE".  and they did.  Dallas Clark.  So yeah, he's involved in his own way.

Wonder which defensive guy it was Dungy wanted. 

On 4/13/2016 at 6:14 PM, Dustin said:

Reitz is great literally every time he steps on the field I don't know why people are so quick to want him back on the bench. 

I feel like the coaching staff for the past couple of years has been the same way...

i think billings is the guy the colts maybe take. but as i said we need O-line but the colts i think have 3 starters for sure and i think the second round the colts will get 1 of 2 players i mentioned and in the 3rd its possible the centers will be their in the draft . th  is will make the FA signings a lot better if you know what you have in the draft

On 4/14/2016 at 9:08 PM, DougDew said:

I don't think there is any reasonable basis for criticizing how Good performed during his rookie year.  He's a late round draft pick from a small school.  I would not expect him to start.  He gave us more than what I would expect.

He has shown enough potential that I would not draft an OL with the intent of using that rookie at RT.  I would give Good some time.  That doesn't even consider the fact that Reitz is good enough to start at RT, based upon how he played last year, and late in the season the year before.

The mock drafts that show the Colts taking a OL to play RT are just totally off base, IMO.  There are much better ways to spend the #18 pick than Conklin or Decker.

good points, but decker can probably play guard.  hes not my first choice, i would rather see defense in the first round, but he could be a nice addition.  that would make 4 out of 5 spots on the line pretty decent.  still need to find a center somewhere 

I think it's too early to tell, because the draft and TC will dictate this situation.  However, we all know the coaching staff and Irsay are excited about Good.  So tentatively I believe he will get the go ahead assuming he doesn't do anything to make them think otherwise AND the Colts don't draft a RT because it was one of their BPA on the board.

Honestly, I don't think our O-Line is in that bad of shape if we can draft 2 solid lineman, in which the Center must be starting material from the beginning!  AC and Mewhort are locks on the left side of the line.  Coaches keep saying they're focusing on the interior line.  Reading between the lines, backup for Mewhort, a starting C, and somebody who solidifies the RG position (can be done in several ways).  We know the staff is very comfortable as Reitz being the plug n play guy, so that leads me to believe, Good is favored for the RT position.  Reitz can do all but play C (who knows they might try him out there lol JK).  I wasn't ever really to high on Thornton, but I do believe he will compete for the starting RG job with Reitz.  Thornton is fine, but has consistency and durability issues.  If Thornton wins, Good is solid and we draft a starting caliber C, along with another potential G later, (with the help of Philben's new system) I believe our OL is not too bad.  I realize that is a lot of if's, it is doable. You must remember we do have 2 nice blocking TE's in Allen and Doyle. 

Worst case scenario, we only get 1 starting OL in the draft (hopefully a C), and Good isn't okay to start, so Reitz is our RT. A few adjustments still allow us to have Thornton or Good starting at RG with quality depth.  Also Holmes/Harrison as backup for C/LG positions.  By all means I am confident switching to ZBS and having one of the best in the game Philben, as the OL coach, the overall performance will improve!

after reading what Chap and others had to say about Grigson's pre-draft press conference I am starting to think we might see both Good and Reitz in the starting lineup.  Grigson mentioned something about them being high on Good but them not sure if he would be a starting guard or tackle and that that was a question for Chuck.

my guess is that you could see either Reitz or Good starting at right guard and the other one starting at right tackle.

Line improved last year when Mewhort moved back to G and Reitz went back to RT.  Read where Philbin told Good to be ready for T or G work this year. Wouldn't be bad to see if he can unseat Thornton at RG, the competition would probably do the line some good. Dungy always said guys made their biggest leap between years 1&2 so hopefully Good will make that leap.

I imagine however we will see two OL drafted in first 4 rounds, with at least one of them being a C, the other I hope is versatile enough to play either G or T, then we can truly have some preseason competition to put our best 5 out there.

On ‎4‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 7:14 PM, Dustin said:

Reitz is great literally every time he steps on the field I don't know why people are so quick to want him back on the bench. 

Great seems to be a big overstatement. I read Reitz finished with a 67.1 grade for the year by PFF. But grade probably includes his games at LT I bet which was ugly

6 hours ago, Gavin said:

Great seems to be a big overstatement. I read Reitz finished with a 67.1 grade for the year by PFF. But grade probably includes his games at LT I bet which was ugly

Reitz was graded like a top 10 RT.

4 hours ago, John Dee said:

If Colts draft a T don't be surprised to see Good at G.

i think he would be a back up tackle first, and only a guard if we get to the 4th one on the depth chart

we would then have mewhort, reitz and thornton at guard 

On 4/24/2016 at 5:32 PM, aaron11 said:

i think he would be a back up tackle first, and only a guard if we get to the 4th one on the depth chart

we would then have mewhort, reitz and thornton at guard 

I think if Reitz doesnt start he will be the primary back up for most of the Oline postion  (maybe not center).

I think competition with Thornton and Reitz/Good is good for Thornton. Hopefully Thornton gets more consistent and comfortable with the new ZBS. :D

Reitz is very underappreciated by the fans.  He is a borderline top-10 RT in this league, and I believe he's under contract for two more years.  He's easily my choice to be starting RT.  I love Good's potential, and he'll be the top back-up OT this next year.  If something happens to either OT, Good can slide into RT,,,

5 hours ago, Archer said:

Reitz is very underappreciated by the fans.  He is a borderline top-10 RT in this league, and I believe he's under contract for two more years.  He's easily my choice to be starting RT.  I love Good's potential, and he'll be the top back-up OT this next year.  If something happens to either OT, Good can slide into RT,,,

ok pass blocker, but not a good run blocker.  we have not good  run blocking RT since the PM era