Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

We will chose a Mewhort clone in round 1

2 hours ago, evilleseniorfan said:

Just as I was the only one to identify Mewhort as our number 1 pick two years ago, I confidently pick his clone, Cody Whitehair, OG Kansas St. as this years first round pick.  Plays multiple positions and solidifies the OG position for the next 10 years. 

Ugh I would vomit if we took Whitehair round 1. We need playmakers on DEFENSE!

3 hours ago, evilleseniorfan said:

Just as I was the only one to identify Mewhort as our number 1 pick two years ago, I confidently pick his clone, Cody Whitehair, OG Kansas St. as this years first round pick.  Plays multiple positions and solidifies the OG position for the next 10 years. 

We have been waiting on your pick.  Too bad, your gift doesn't include picking the other rounds as well.

I think we pick our OG of the future in next year's Rd1. Pat Elflein, Ohio St. All indications show that we're going to run a ZBS on the O-Line which takes athletics over raw power. I could see Le'Raven Clark being drafted in Rd 3 or 4 to be an OG. He could be a backup RT as well.

Cody Whitehair is not a Mewhort clone. For one thing, Mewhort's arms were 34 inches where as Whitehair's are only 31 3/8". Secondly, 18 is probably a bit of a reach for Whitehair. If we take an O-lineman at 18 I'm hoping more for Jack Conklin. I could live with Decker too. 

46 minutes ago, Johnny Bui said:

I'd say we can go either OL or OLB.  I like Cody Whitehair or Joshua Garnett.  I personally like Garnett because he plays with lots of power and has a nice mean streak.  1st or 2nd round pick can get either way.  I hear this year has a good depth at DL

Everything I've read on Garnett suggested he is a tremendous power run scheme fit and trying to put him in a ZBS is a bad idea. Whitehair interests me as that would set up both our guard spots for the foreseeable future. OLB would be tremendous if one of Smith, Myles, or Spence were on the board but doubtful. NT would be another position in the first that I wouldn't mind. 

1 hour ago, Indy Fan said:

Everything I've read on Garnett suggested he is a tremendous power run scheme fit and trying to put him in a ZBS is a bad idea. Whitehair interests me as that would set up both our guard spots for the foreseeable future. OLB would be tremendous if one of Smith, Myles, or Spence were on the board but doubtful. NT would be another position in the first that I wouldn't mind. 

And by that I assume you mean move Mewhort to LG and let Whitehair start at LG right? I like Mewhort as a RG more.

Whitehair is going to be a good OG in the NFL. I just don't think that Indy gets him... It's hard to justify an OG prospect at #18, even if he's a college OT that could be versatile... and I really doubt he falls to our 2nd pick. 

He is a great prospect to target after a trade back to the early 2nd round if he makes it that far. It would make a bold statement if we drafted Whitehair and Kelly in the 2nd...

I'm with others here that we should look at a couple of the younger, productive OGs in FA... Whitehair would be a great pick-up, but I think there is more value at other positions where we pick in the 1st... If we draft an interior lineman, it should be with our second pick at the earliest...

I'm of the same mindset with Elliot, too, except I wouldn't want a RB anywhere in the first 3 rounds other than Elliot in the 2nd...

Jack was the 1st pick but it was in the second round at 59 I believe interior lineman start comig off the board generally in the 2nd.

I don't see us taking one at 18 not with all the talent we are going to be looking at. I think we go D but if Conklin is there that could happen. Irsay and Grig's seemed genuine in their praise confidence in Good. I hope we sign Davis or Wiz. to play C then make a strong push for Allen. OL fixed all 3 are around 26. Go build the.D in this draft. 

7 hours ago, akcolt said:

Jack was the 1st pick but it was in the second round at 59 I believe interior lineman start comig off the board generally in the 2nd.

I don't see us taking one at 18 not with all the talent we are going to be looking at. I think we go D but if Conklin is there that could happen. Irsay and Grig's seemed genuine in their praise confidence in Good. I hope we sign Davis or Wiz. to play C then make a strong push for Allen. OL fixed all 3 are around 26. Go build the.D in this draft. 

I don't see what's not to praise with Good. This guy plays on the PS almost all year. A rookie from a smaller college too. Gets called up and plays at RT and does as well of a job as several other vets who have taken that spot in the past. He did all this from small reps in the PS and then what, 3-4 games? I would say his experience and what he showed gives the coaches a lot of pleasure in knowing they have a talent to coach up and with more reps and time in with the #1's or 2's, he should dramatically improve. I think we are one center or guard away from having an above average oline. That 1 addition has to be significant but a high grade center/guard will do wonders for the line as a unit.

I started this post and thank all of you for your comments, most of which I agree with.  I also hope we can fix the OL in free agency and spend the draft on the D.  But the OL must be fixed, or if our franchise QB spends a large part of next season injured, then we must have a new GM/Coach and staff.

BTW:  NFL rates Cody Whitehair @ 6.4, consistent with the two OT we all like.  

Go Colts

6 hours ago, evilleseniorfan said:

I started this post and thank all of you for your comments, most of which I agree with.  I also hope we can fix the OL in free agency and spend the draft on the D.  But the OL must be fixed, or if our franchise QB spends a large part of next season injured, then we must have a new GM/Coach and staff.

BTW:  NFL rates Cody Whitehair @ 6.4, consistent with the two OT we all like.  

Go Colts

You are the guy who predicted we take an interior line in the 1st. Now you want to fix the OL in FA?  What will we do with that G in the 1st then? 

By the way a OG with the same ranking as a OT will more than likely go about round after the OT. The OT is a more valued position. 

Speak fior yourself on the two tackles that you like. There is one that I would take a good look 18 Conklin unless something crazy happens like Staley falling. I'd pass on Decker.  

The player I want to see us get is Billings. He is a NT with the rare combination of elite power and speed. It's not everyday you can get a NT with the ability to be a game changer. I am not sure about 18. I want to see what he does at the combine. 

Parry is servicable but will never be dominant.  Billings appears to have a unique skill set that could make him elite. He's still just a kid only 19 years old. That and he may only fit a 3-4 might drop him to us in the 2nd. Combine will tell. 

On February 22, 2016 at 7:18 PM, Indy Fan said:

Stanford doesn't run that much ZBS....    but I think it's an easier transition from man/power to zone than the other way around....     I don't think Josh would have that much trouble adapting.

That said,   I don't see Josh worth the 48th pick in the draft.    Perhaps if we traded back...  maybe even twice?

I've got my eyes elsewhere....   tackle or center.

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Stanford doesn't run that much ZBS....    but I think it's an easier transition from man/power to zone than the other way around....     I don't think Josh would have that much trouble adapting.

That said,   I don't see Josh worth the 48th pick in the draft.    Perhaps if we traded back...  maybe even twice?

I've got my eyes elsewhere....   tackle or center.

Josh looks a lot like Thorton to me a great run blocker who will struggle in pass protection. I don't see a C worth the 48th pick either. If it wasn't such a huge need would you even consider a C that high? I am an Irish fan diehard watch every game. Martin hasn't looked the same since his knee injury I would proceed with caution. Have you seen much of Boehm? 

2 hours ago, akcolt said:

Josh looks a lot like Thorton to me a great run blocker who will struggle in pass protection. I don't see a C worth the 48th pick either. If it wasn't such a huge need would you even consider a C that high? I am an Irish fan diehard watch every game. Martin hasn't looked the same since his knee injury I would proceed with caution. Have you seen much of Boehm? 

Just out of curiosity why don't you think a center is not worth a #48 pick? The center is on 100% of all offensive plays. He is most likely the one who calls the O-line sets. He protects the QB. Also is a key figure in the run game. I may be wrong but it seems we had a lot of sacks and pressures on our QBs from right up the middle? Now Mack is said to be looking for 10 million a year?

3 hours ago, akcolt said:

Can we just say that teams like the Cowboys have a solid line because they have put pieces together with good picks.  ONE being a first round pick on their stud center in 2013.  Just because they are a center does not mean we should not use our 2nd round pick.  Our line is bad right now because our center and RG continue to get blown up and let people through the middle easily.  So you draft or use FA for that but drafting on like Kelly would help IMO.

On 2/21/2016 at 4:55 PM, evilleseniorfan said:

Wow - did you pull a muscle patting yourself on the back for the Mewhort prediction?

On 2/22/2016 at 7:54 PM, BProland85 said:

Ugh I would vomit if we took Whitehair round 1. We need playmakers on DEFENSE!

The Colts need playmakers all over the field.  Drafting an o'linemen in the first 1) fills a need and 2) does not mean they are ignoring the defense

On 2/22/2016 at 0:22 AM, Yinkgo said:

I HATE the commonly used line..."...for the next 10 years."  The current roster only has TWO players with 10 years with the Colts.  Number 4 and 98.  Spending 10 years with one team is not very common.

SAME HERE! lol  Plus you can never take into account trades, cuts, contract extensions/re-signings, injury etc.  Every team wants every player to be here "for the next 10 years"...but it seldom works out that way.

15 hours ago, OffensivelyPC said:

We need playmakers at premier positions.  Guard is not a premier position.

No it isn't. But QB is. We lost 3 QBs because of our line last year. That means OL is a top need. I want defensive players as much as anyone here, but honestly having luck playing, and having a line that can get a run game going will help our defense more then any one player we could draft. Our defense played well last year in almost every game. They held Teams until about midway through the third quarter,  when they were gassed cuz the offense went three and out all day. Longer drives= more rest and fresher defensive players. An offensive lineman isn't a sexy pick, but it helps almost every facet of our team. 

If we have a strong line with Luck getting better our offense will start to look better and put up points.  We could have won a few more games last year if we scored points in the first half alone other than a FG  or two.  We could easily of had 10 wins with Luck playing the whole year and the line looking better.  I say this because if we have a top oline guy available in any round then I would go for it all day.  Keep Luck upright and provide a hole for your running game and we look like a different team.  Oh and our D looks better because they aren't on the field for 3/4 of the game.

3 hours ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

No it isn't. But QB is. We lost 3 QBs because of our line last year. That means OL is a top need. I want defensive players as much as anyone here, but honestly having luck playing, and having a line that can get a run game going will help our defense more then any one player we could draft. Our defense played well last year in almost every game. They held Teams until about midway through the third quarter,  when they were gassed cuz the offense went three and out all day. Longer drives= more rest and fresher defensive players. An offensive lineman isn't a sexy pick, but it helps almost every facet of our team. 

I'm not saying to not draft a guard.  I'm saying don't draft a guard in the first round.  It would be the least efficient use of our first pick save perhaps drafting a punter, kicker, or depth player at any other postition.  First round picks, especially first  round picks in the teens or lower, should be reserved for game changing playmakers.  You may get the best guard in the draft at 18, but you won't get a game changer if you pick a guard.  And then, what?  You're left with getting a solid starter at a premier position such as pass rusher.  So picking a guard at 18 would be a waste.

6 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

I'm not saying to not draft a guard.  I'm saying don't draft a guard in the first round.  It would be the least efficient use of our first pick save perhaps drafting a punter, kicker, or depth player at any other postition.  First round picks, especially first  round picks in the teens or lower, should be reserved for game changing playmakers.  You may get the best guard in the draft at 18, but you won't get a game changer if you pick a guard.  And then, what?  You're left with getting a solid starter at a premier position such as pass rusher.  So picking a guard at 18 would be a waste.

I mean with this logic why would Laremy Tunsil or Ronnie Stanley be top 10 picks then?  That would be a waste since they are offensive linemen right?  This is incorrect thinking because even though it is not a flashy player like an EDGE rush player it is something that could fit the typical BPA that Grigson does.  It also feels a huge hole because FA does not look great with players.  I say that because other teams with far more money will need guards and tackles as well and have the room to over pay them.  That leaves us with players similar to what we have been signing in FA (Donald Thomas or Herremanns) and we are going to get away from that.  So you build through the draft and get BPA at each spot and that might be a solid oline player.

13 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

I mean with this logic why would Laremy Tunsil or Ronnie Stanley be top 10 picks then?  That would be a waste since they are offensive linemen right?  This is incorrect thinking because even though it is not a flashy player like an EDGE rush player it is something that could fit the typical BPA that Grigson does.  It also feels a huge hole because FA does not look great with players.  I say that because other teams with far more money will need guards and tackles as well and have the room to over pay them.  That leaves us with players similar to what we have been signing in FA (Donald Thomas or Herremanns) and we are going to get away from that.  So you build through the draft and get BPA at each spot and that might be a solid oline player.

You're putting words in my mouth.  Guards are not on the same level of importance with left tackles.  I'm not sure why you thought that's what I was getting it.

2 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

You're putting words in my mouth.  Guards are not on the same level of importance with left tackles.  I'm not sure why you thought that's what I was getting it.

You're right I read a little to much into that.  I will say IMO wherever we go with the first pick I just hope they start from day one and have some type of impact for us.

3 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

You're right I read a little to much into that.  I will say IMO wherever we go with the first pick I just hope they start from day one and have some type of impact for us.

Absolutely.  I don't mind us addressing the OL with the first pick, but there's only a handful of guys that should go at 18, and they are all tackles.  It would in a round about way allow us to address the interior as that would move Reitz back to starter at RG (should we go that route).  But I still think we need to spend a pick on day 2 to get a C or RG prospect, which is why I'd rather go BPA defense in the 1st round.  

To me, I think that whoever you draft, defensively in the first, plus the best available guard/center in the 2nd would provide a bigger boost to this team than drafting Whitehair and the BPA in the 2nd.  That's just my hunch.

8 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Absolutely.  I don't mind us addressing the OL with the first pick, but there's only a handful of guys that should go at 18, and they are all tackles.  It would in a round about way allow us to address the interior as that would move Reitz back to starter at RG (should we go that route).  But I still think we need to spend a pick on day 2 to get a C or RG prospect, which is why I'd rather go BPA defense in the 1st round.  

To me, I think that whoever you draft, defensively in the first, plus the best available guard/center in the 2nd would provide a bigger boost to this team than drafting Whitehair and the BPA in the 2nd.  That's just my hunch.

I definitely agree.  Personally BPA in the first according to the mind of Grigson is a big unknown but I would like a day 2 G or C as well.

21 hours ago, OffensivelyPC said:

We need playmakers at premier positions.  Guard is not a premier position.

No, but if the Colts want to become the running team they always claim to want, then I have no problem going G or C in the first.  Not ideal, but I wouldn't complain.  Did wonders for the Cowboys when Romo was healthy.

2 minutes ago, BOTT said:

No, but if the Colts want to become the running team they always claim to want, then I have no problem going G or C in the first.  Not ideal, but I wouldn't complain.  Did wonders for the Cowboys when Romo was healthy.

I think our running game will get better merely by utilizing the zone blocking more often.  And since we're going to a zone blocking scheme, that's all the more reason why we should wiat until the 2nd round to go G or C.  It wouldn't be the worst thing in the world going interior OL in the first, but like you said, it's not ideal.  

On 24/02/2016 at 11:00 AM, OffensivelyPC said:

And I agree with the first half of this post. I wasn't advocating whitehair in the first as much as I was hoping for a RT like Decker or Conklin.  but with the depth at DL this year I think we can take a solid ot Round one, and still get a solid player to push the pocket in round two. While he may not get 10+ sacks from the de position,  how many rookie OLBs actually will??