Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

SF Hires Chip

SyX

2 minutes ago, MPStack said:

This gives every indication that they will keep Kap next season. It just gets worse and worse for the 49ers! Harbaugh has to be smiling today.

You don't think chip kelley was a good hire?

I'm glad the titans didn't get him. It would have been interesting though if he would have been reunited with mariota

i think its a really good fit.  the niners are a disaster and they will be more likely to buy into chip than the eagles were.

the eagles had talent that had been under achieving, but  there were way too many egos there for chip

kap + kelly will be interesting 

13 minutes ago, Buck Showalter said:

You may be right, but I am not at all surprised Chip landed in San Fran...

14 minutes ago, Buck Showalter said:

You may be right, but I am not at all surprised Chip landed in San Fran...

I`m not surprised he did either. Mr. York must think Chip can resurrect Kap`s career. 

2 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

This will be interesting.  Chip the coach isn't too bad, in my opinion.  Chip the GM is awful.  But the 49ers have Baalke to take care of GM responsibilities, so perhaps Chip can focus on just coaching.  This could be great for Kaep

It's worth seeing, though he still seems to be able to rub players up the wrong way with his coaching. Maybe getting fired might humble him enough to change his approach a little?

I think he's a good coach too. 

1 hour ago, SteelCityColt said:

It's worth seeing, though he still seems to be able to rub players up the wrong way with his coaching. Maybe getting fired might humble him enough to change his approach a little?

I think he's a good coach too. 

I think he knows what he's doing as an Xs and Os guy.  I think the problem in Philly was that he was given complete control.  I don't hate all the moves he made in Philly (I'm not a big fan of DeSean Jackson or Shady McCoy's attitudes), but I can see how they can upset people.  Take away the personnel control he had and let him focus on gameplans and Xs and Os and I think you could have a really good coach on your hands.

On ‎1‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 1:34 PM, aaron11 said:

i think its a really good fit.  the niners are a disaster and they will be more likely to buy into chip than the eagles were.

the eagles had talent that had been under achieving, but  there were way too many egos there for chip

kap + kelly will be interesting 

Plus Chip will be better received on the west coast where in a known commodity..

Philadelphia fans seemed to reject him quickly...guys like Stephen A Smith took a,personal dislike to him

His duels with Seattle will be very interesting......I don't think the Oregon-pace style works in the NFL but it has a batter chance in a warm weather division with an elite athlete, if not QB,  at quarterback

Last chance for kaep to be a starting qb. He is a perfect fit...threat to run...rocket arm...sure he isn't great with his progressions...but chips offense is full of quick reads and mostly just reading half the field. Those zone reads and quick throws should play right into kaeps advantage. I think this is a last chance in the NFL for both of them. Sometimes desperation brings out the best in people...when your backs against the wall do you come out swinging...chip and kaep are tied together now.

2 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

Kind of surprising that the Titans didn't at least give an interview to Chip. You'd think they would have been intrigued.

Kelly might have not been interested? As storied as the 49ers are he would be the next savior if he made a winner out of the 49ers. Just a thought.

11 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

Kind of surprising that the Titans didn't at least give an interview to Chip. You'd think they would have been intrigued.

I believe Tennessee right now is about to go through some ownership changes. I believe the instability at the top (after Bud Adams death) kinda causes all the other departments and business decisions to freeze up. Since the organization doesn't have a clear future of where they are headed or what they want to do the easiest thing is to not change anything so that any new ownership will be able to come in and mold the staff and team into what they see fit. While Chip might be a good fit there...the most attractive thing to do is keep this team a pretty much blank canvas so that the new leadership can lead this team into a direction of their choosing.

On a side note I wouldn't be surprised to see if Peyton after the season leads a team to try to buy the team. Of course he would be a minority owner but I could see him trying to get into an ownership group and then be placed in some capacity role with the team.

On January 14, 2016 at 2:43 PM, 21isSuperman said:

This will be interesting.  Chip the coach isn't too bad, in my opinion.  Chip the GM is awful.  But the 49ers have Baalke to take care of GM responsibilities, so perhaps Chip can focus on just coaching.  This could be great for Kaep

My problem with Chip is this: If his high tempo offense can't covert 3rd downs into 1st downs, you're defense gets angry, tired, loses games, & it fractures the locker room chemistry. 

This move spells disaster in San Fran even with CK at the helm who is no longer a competent let alone, elite QB anymore. 

18 hours ago, southwest1 said:

My problem with Chip is this: If his high tempo offense can't covert 3rd downs into 1st downs, you're defense gets angry, tired, loses games, & it fractures the locker room chemistry. 

This move spells disaster in San Fran even with CK at the helm who is no longer a competent let alone, elite QB anymore. 

I think the problem was what he did as a GM.  He let go of talent when he shouldn't have and brought in players he shouldn't have (eg. DeMarco Murray).  I don't think Xs and Os are his problem, but rather roster management.  With Baalke taking care of the roster, it'll be interesting to see how this works out.  With Kaep as his QB, I think there is potential for them to be a really good offense

5 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

I think the problem was what he did as a GM.  He let go of talent when he shouldn't have and brought in players he shouldn't have (eg. DeMarco Murray).  I don't think Xs and Os are his problem, but rather roster management.  With Baalke taking care of the roster, it'll be interesting to see how this works out.  With Kaep as his QB, I think there is potential for them to be a really good offense

A very valid point 21. I will sing Chip's praises for 1 thing: His diet & sleep regiments for his players appeared to keep his Eagles starting roster reasonably healthy, alert, & active on game day. 

To be honest with you though, after how the Eagles unraveled this season, Chip didn't deserve a 2nd NFL HC opportunity so swiftly. 

5 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

A very valid point 21. I will sing Chip's praises for 1 thing: His diet & sleep regiments for his players appeared to keep his Eagles starting roster reasonably healthy, alert, & active on game day. 

To be honest with you though, after how the Eagles unraveled this season, Chip didn't deserve a 2nd NFL HC opportunity so swiftly. 

Except the problem wasn't his coaching, it was his GM'ing. He won't be getting roster control anytime soon, but as a coach he did more than adequate. The majority basically accept that Chip Kelly the GM was fired from Philly, not necessarily Chip Kelly the coach.

Analytics are the fastest growing segment in NFL team departments.  Already teams are using it for-

The draft process, sorting through biomechanical metrics to rank prospects

Salary-cap management, to project, for instance, the long-term impact of contracts.

Game management, providing statistical probability for key decisions.

Free agency, to account for variables behind statistics.

Upcoming opponent scouting

Here's a graphic the TV Networks feed us-

NVO6f7y.jpg

Here's a graphic a teams coaches might get-

LIWC5JP.jpg

And so much more. For many reasons, analytics will have more impact in baseball, but is will be a valuable tool in football too.

On January 21, 2016 at 9:29 PM, SkyBane said:

Except the problem wasn't his coaching, it was his GM'ing. He won't be getting roster control anytime soon, but as a coach he did more than adequate. The majority basically accept that Chip Kelly the GM was fired from Philly, not necessarily Chip Kelly the coach.

Chip has to take some responsibility for failing to turn QB Sam Bradford into a competent QB who can convert 3rd downs consistently in his final Philly season & rest his defense. If Chip's as smart as he thinks he is, this shouldn't be a problem. 

The real problem with Mr. Kelly as I see it is this: He's not a communicator who earns the trust of men, not college boys, under his guidance & supervision. He's a just do what I tell ya kind of guy to me as opposed to explaining the method behind the madness teacher/mentor. Almost like he's a genius never to be challenged in any way & you the insignificant player know absolutely nothing similar to a supreme dictator. JMO. 

Chip has zero credibility to me as an NFL head coach. 

9 hours ago, southwest1 said:

Chip has to take some responsibility for failing to turn QB Sam Bradford into a competent QB who can convert 3rd downs consistently in his final Philly season & rest his defense. If Chip's as smart as he thinks he is, this shouldn't be a problem. 

The real problem with Mr. Kelly as I see it is this: He's not a communicator who earns the trust of men, not college boys, under his guidance & supervision. He's a just do what I tell ya kind of guy to me as opposed to explaining the method behind the madness teacher/mentor. Almost like he's a genius never to be challenged in any way & you the insignificant player know absolutely nothing similar to a supreme dictator. JMO. 

Bill Belichick and LeSean McCoy disagree with you. Saban and Parcells spoke highly of him as a coach as well. I'll trust them over you (no offense).

5 hours ago, SkyBane said:

Bill Belichick and LeSean McCoy disagree with you. Saban and Parcells spoke highly of him as a coach as well. I'll trust them over you (no offense).

Chip Kelly has to earn the respect of the men in the 49ers locker room not the praise of Saban, Parcells, or Belichick. Who cares about peer praise? Kelly is paid to win SB trophies in CA now. 

If a HC has no rapport with the men on his roster & if they don't believe he cares about them & their families, your athletes aren't gonna fight for their fearless leader on the sidelines in pivotal playoff situations SkyBane. JMO. 

I will admit that sometimes a change of scenery helps & I'm sure he took some lessons from Philadelphia that he will never disclose publicly. The man's not dumb in terms of football X's & O's.

My main contention with Chip is that the man just struggles heavily connecting with players on a personal level with affects team morale & motivation over the regular season. Yes, I know it is possible to win a ring as a HC & be a lousy leader generally. But, most guys need to know you care about them privately before they give a hoot about your record & career prosperity & to me Chip has a severe disconnect with his players. 

22 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

the man just struggles heavily connecting with players on a personal level with affects team morale & motivation over the regular season.

While this may be true, it cN be overcome.  One of the best coaches in the game suffered the same accusation: Tom Coughlin.  He was able to adjust and adapt.  Chip can too, if necessary.

20 hours ago, southwest1 said:

He has to take responsibility for Bradford having the best season of his career when the Eagles led the NFL in drops?

This is not going to end well for the 49ers or Kelly. 

I think he should have took a year off and focused on what was executed correctly, and what went down hill with his coaching time in Philly. Maybe a break away from everything, could have cleared his head up. 

The 49ers have become this downhill fallen kingdom. Screwing over Jim Harbaugh has brought this team right back into the hole they were in for years before he came there. I don't feel sorry for Jed York at all since he's screwed this team up so bad. 

22 hours ago, southwest1 said:

Totally agree with all of this. 

This is why I believe, he should have took a year off and went over everything of his coaching stint with the Eagles; look at what went right, and what went wrong, and then come back a year later fresh minded. 

His first move of trading DeSean Jackson was a very stupid move. Then Jeremy Maclin went to K.C. this past year. I still think getting rid of Foles was a bad decision too, since he clicked in that offense, and he went to St Louis where they had issues keeping their quarterbacks healthy all year, and he's probably ruined from this. 

One of the biggest issues Philly had this year was how he wouldn't sit there and milk on the clock. His K-Gun 90's Bills style offense would constantly go 3 and out, and then his defense come back on the field gassed and tired out. 

In his 3 seasons, Philly had 2 games in 2013 and 2014 where their defense gave up 50+ points (Denver in 2013, and GB in 2014), and then this year, they had back to back games, where Tampa Bay and Detroit scored 45 points on them. Combined, that's 90 points surrendered in just two weeks!