Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts hire Ravens LB coach Ted Monachino to be DC (Merge)

RockThatBlue

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, SilentHill said:

Manusky has strong ties to the Pagano family, and is treated like a brother, highly unlikely that he wasn't a Pagano hire.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7428673/san-diego-chargers-fire-defensive-coordinator-greg-manusky-promote-john-pagano-replacement

I didn't say Manusky wasn't a Pagano hire.  I said they (Pagano & co.) settled on Manusky after Butler turned them down.

2 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

Seems he developed a few good LB's in Balt. other than Suggs...  Remember a guy named Pernell McPhee?  2011 5th rounder?  Turned out ok....  Paul Kruger, 2009 2nd rounder out of Utah..... 2011 Suggs was DPOY also.... seems great with LB'ers

Makes me wonder how hands-on he'll be with LB development for the Colts. He clearly has a knack for it.

3 minutes ago, SilentHill said:

Manusky has strong ties to the Pagano family, and is treated like a brother, highly unlikely that he wasn't a Pagano hire.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7428673/san-diego-chargers-fire-defensive-coordinator-greg-manusky-promote-john-pagano-replacement

Yes. Agree. But hiring Monachino had much input from Pagano I'm assuming. I'd bet on it.

6 minutes ago, Jason_S said:

True...however..Keith Butler was Pagano's original choice of DC, but he declined at the last minute.   They then settled on Manusky.  So, it's possible that Pagano wanted to replace Manusky later on but was denied by Grigson.  

It's also possible that Pagano just received authority to make changes to the offensive coaching staff, and he decided to go ahead and make changes on the defensive side as well, hoping to get guys that he really wanted rather than guys he had to settle for.  

Maybe,  but I doubt it.  Remember even with Pep he was allowed to let him go even though he was the guy that supposedly forced on him. 

I just don't really think Grigson had as much control over who was and wasn't the coaches as some think he did.  Don't get me wrong I do believe Grigson over stepped his bounds at times and didn't do a good job making Pagano feel like his opinion mattered when it came to things like the draft but I don't think it was as bad as some in the media have reported either. 

1 minute ago, ColtRider said:

Yes. Agree. But hiring Monachino had much input from Pagano I'm assuming. I'd bet on it.

I don't think anyone is questioning that or if Grigson even made him hire Manusky.  Jason's point was to me that Grigson might have prevented Pagano from firing Manusky in the past.  I don't happen to believe that.  I think Pagano wanted to Manusky even if he was his second choice at the time. 

12 minutes ago, SDakColts said:

Rumor is multiple teams was interested in him. Pretty sure I saw an article that the Bucs wanted him pretty bad.

Bucs? Their 3 best defenders are young guys that don't fit in a 3-4 (Lavonte David, Gerald McCoy, and Kwon Alexander), so I doubt that.

1 minute ago, Superman said:

Werner is probably gone.

I see.  Cutting him would only save slightly less than $1.5 mil; I thought perhaps with this new DC who has a propensity for developing LBS, the coaching staff would give him one more season.  But I'm not complaining if he gets cut

1 minute ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Please, no more building the monster.  That's over.  Just win...

...baby

c5521ecc45464daf7082eab69e9b8d55.jpg

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

Werner is probably gone.

I think there is a good chance Werner, Andre Johnson, and maybe even Frank Gore are all released this off-season.  I think the bigger question is can Monachino reach Newsome and find the guy who showed promise his rookie year rather than the guy you never even noticed when he was on the field last year. 

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

I think there is a good chance Werner, Andre Johnson, and maybe even Frank Gore are all released this off-season.  I think the bigger question is can Monachino reach Newsome and find the guy who showed promise his rookie year rather than the guy you never even noticed when he was on the field last year. 

I think Andre and Cole are definitely gone, Jackson and Werner are safer, but pretty confidend Gore is staying.

1 minute ago, 21isSuperman said:

I see.  Cutting him would only save slightly less than $1.5 mil; I thought perhaps with this new DC who has a propensity for developing LBS, the coaching staff would give him one more season.  But I'm not complaining if he gets cut

...baby

c5521ecc45464daf7082eab69e9b8d55.jpg

I can see the argument for giving Werner a chance to prove he belongs here through the pre-season but unless he makes major improvement I highly doubt he's on the opening day roster next year.

I know people like to compare him to Jerry Hughes but I always thought Hughes showed flashes when he was here. I have yet to see that from Werner.

3 minutes ago, bababooey said:

I think Andre and Cole are definitely gone, Jackson and Werner are safer, but pretty confidend Gore is staying.

Well Cole signed a one year deal I believe so I left him off because they don't have to release him.  They just don't have to re-sign him.  If I am wrong and he signed longer than a one year deal then yes I agree he'll be cut.

Jackson I think stays because he's been a really good run stopper for the team especially with Freeman as a free agent. 

As for Gore I am not ruling out Gore asking to be released. 

3 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Not Gore...I say with him let him play with Luck but find a complimentary back for him. Have him help teach the new guys

8 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Yep. Irsay himself said he wants to get younger. I can see many shifts this off-season towards that goal.

3 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Maybe,  but I doubt it.  Remember even with Pep he was allowed to let him go even though he was the guy that supposedly forced on him. 

I just don't really think Grigson had as much control over who was and wasn't the coaches as some think he did.  Don't get me wrong I do believe Grigson over stepped his bounds at times and didn't do a good job making Pagano feel like his opinion mattered when it came to things like the draft but I don't think it was as bad as some in the media have reported either. 

yes, Pagano was allowed to fire Pep, but it's entirely possible that he wanted to fire Pep long ago but was overruled by Grigson, and he was only allowed to when he did because Grigson finally gave in..possibly at Irsay's insistence.  

I do agree that whatever the issues were between them were likely blown out of proportion by the media.  However, I do think there was enough smoke to believe that the fire did exist...we just don't know how wildly it was burning.  

There's been a lot of information and misinformation that's been thrown around.  From everything that's come out as well as things I noticed when specifically watching Pagano and Pep on the sidelines, I think it went like this:

First, Pagano hired his first staff most likely with input from Grigson...but I do think Pagano got the coordinators that he wanted in Arians and Manusky, keeping in mind that Manusky was the 2nd choice after Butler who declined.

Then, Arians goes to Ari.  At this point I'm thinking there was likely a disagreement about who to replace Arians with, but it wasn't Chud that Pagano wanted because Chud wasn't available.  It's also possible that Grigson hired Pep on his own, either without input from Pagano or overruling Pagano in the process.

Now, I think the part the media gets wrong is that Pagano probably wanted to fire Pep in the 2014 offseason and then bring in Chud as the new OC.  Here is where I think Grigson overruled him, forcing Pagano to keep Pep as the OC, but allowing Chud to come in as Asst. to HC.  This is the part I think that got twisted in the media when they say that Pagano wanted Chud but Grigson overrruled and hired Pep.  

Then this season comes along which is nothing short of a dumpster fire.  Grigson imagines that this is going to be Pagano's last year anyway, and he's finally realizing that hiring Pep was a mistake, so he finally acquiesces (again, possibly at the direction of Irsay) and allows Pagano to go out this final season with the OC he wanted, knowing Pep wasn't going to be good enough to bring back anyway.

1 minute ago, ColtRider said:

Yep. Irsay himself he wants to get younger. I can see many shifts this off-season towards that goal.

Yep I think there is a good chance Gore asks for his release but the age thing could also result in his release.  Also as much as some Colts fans wont want to hear this I think there is a chance they draft Elliott in the first round of the draft depending on how the draft falls. 

35 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

While some of the moves were much needed, it looks like this really is Pagano bringing in his own people.

Lol just when it looks like the Pagano/Grigson drama was all media sensationalism, it appears there was some truth there.

I guess you'll take what you can get if it fits your narrative

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

Well Cole signed a one year deal I believe so I left him off because they don't have to release him.  They just don't have to re-sign him. 

Jackson I think stays because he's been a really good run stopper for the team especially with Freeman as a free agent. 

As for Gore I am not ruling out Gore asking to be released. 

Cole signed a two year deal. 

They can re-sign Freeman prior to free agency, and then get rid of Jackson. But I doubt they release Jackson if they can't keep Freeman.

If Gore asks to be released, he'll have to agree to forgo his $3m guaranteed (assuming Spotrac is accurate). I doubt that happens.

2 minutes ago, Jason_S said:

yes, Pagano was allowed to fire Pep, but it's entirely possible that he wanted to fire Pep long ago but was overruled by Grigson, and he was only allowed to when he did because Grigson finally gave in..possibly at Irsay's insistence.  

I do agree that whatever the issues were between them were likely blown out of proportion by the media.  However, I do think there was enough smoke to believe that the fire did exist...we just don't know how wildly it was burning.  

There's been a lot of information and misinformation that's been thrown around.  From everything that's come out as well as things I noticed when specifically watching Pagano and Pep on the sidelines, I think it went like this:

First, Pagano hired his first staff most likely with input from Grigson...but I do think Pagano got the coordinators that he wanted in Arians and Manusky, keeping in mind that Manusky was the 2nd choice after Butler who declined.

Then, Arians goes to Ari.  At this point I'm thinking there was likely a disagreement about who to replace Arians with, but it wasn't Chud that Pagano wanted because Chud wasn't available.  It's also possible that Grigson hired Pep on his own, either without input from Pagano or overruling Pagano in the process.

Now, I think the part the media gets wrong is that Pagano probably wanted to fire Pep in the 2014 offseason and then bring in Chud as the new OC.  Here is where I think Grigson overruled him, forcing Pagano to keep Pep as the OC, but allowing Chud to come in as Asst. to HC.  This is the part I think that got twisted in the media when they say that Pagano wanted Chud but Grigson overrruled and hired Pep.  

Then this season comes along which is nothing short of a dumpster fire.  Grigson imagines that this is going to be Pagano's last year anyway, and he's finally realizing that hiring Pep was a mistake, so he finally acquiesces (again, possibly at the direction of Irsay) and allows Pagano to go out this final season with the OC he wanted, knowing Pep wasn't going to be good enough to bring back anyway.

I think we agree on the key point that there was clearly something not good going on between Pagano and Grigson. 

From that point forwad was are pretty much just guessing.  I think we can both agree either of our theories could be true and we will probably never know which was true.

2 minutes ago, jaybird95 said:

Why does everyone want Pettine? The Browns defense isn't stellar.

A head coach isn't typically judged on individual units on his team, even if that's his side of the ball. Being a coordinator is different from being a head coach, and some guys are good at one job, but bad at the other. In Pettine's case, he was a pretty good coordinator.