Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts hire Ravens LB coach Ted Monachino to be DC (Merge)

RockThatBlue

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I can't really complain about this hire. 

They're were some other names out there that I liked better, Pettine for one, but I think Monachino is a good choice.

I think this was strictly a Chuck hiring and it gives me some hope that we are finally ready to let the man coach... For better or worse. I predict it'll be more of the former. 

3 minutes ago, ColtsLegacy said:

My sources tell me Pagano is looking to hire his best friend from college as TE coach and his alcoholic uncle as DB coach. Stay tuned.

Did your source meet Pagano's uncle at an AA Meeting perhaps?

Everything I have read about Monachino is that he was a very popular choice for new DC hires. I am ok with this signing. I was hoping for Pettine, but sounds like Monachino is no slouch. I wish him luck, and hopefully we can get him some more defensive talent to work with.

I'm extremely okay with hiring Monachino. Pagano input trending in the direction as it should've been ... the right one! Pettine was my choice as well. But I'm not the least bit upset with Teddy. Now, get this defense on the tracks of a barreling locomotive that doesn't contain a rolling ball of butcher knives. It stands on it's own.

4 minutes ago, CptHooligan said:

Don't know a thing about him but what I like is that is seems clear that Pagano now has the authority to hire his own staff. 

Hopefully this ends the drama we've experienced this season and the team can move forward...

Looking forward to see the other moves that come.

I think the whole did Pagano have authority to hire his own staff thing is over blown.  Arians made it known it was Chuck who got him here when the bulk of the rest of the staff was hired.  It's more logical to assume that if Chuck got to hire the OC that year he got to hire the other coaches he wanted that year.

maybe something strange happened with Pep but I don't think that's true over the bulk of the coaching staff.

1 minute ago, Jonathan24 said:

yea yea whatever.. he got more credit from already established LBs.  What linebackers did he actually help develop

Suggs and Mosley, he played a part in their development for sure. Dannell Ellerbe had a great year in Baltimore as well under his coaching. He coached up Suggs in college as linebackers coach at Arizona State, and eventually reconnected with Suggs in Baltimore.

4 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I think the whole did Pagano have authority to hire his own staff thing is over blown.  Arians made it known it was Chuck who got him here when the bulk of the rest of the staff was hired.  It's more logical to assume that if Chuck got to hire the OC that year he got to hire the other coaches he wanted that year.

maybe something strange happened with Pep but I don't think that's true over the bulk of the coaching staff.

True...however..Keith Butler was Pagano's original choice of DC, but he declined at the last minute.   They then settled on Manusky.  So, it's possible that Pagano wanted to replace Manusky later on but was denied by Grigson.  

It's also possible that Pagano just received authority to make changes to the offensive coaching staff, and he decided to go ahead and make changes on the defensive side as well, hoping to get guys that he really wanted rather than guys he had to settle for.  

12 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

While some of the moves were much needed, it looks like this really is Pagano bringing in his own people.

Lol just when it looks like the Pagano/Grigson drama was all media sensationalism, it appears there was some truth there.

I don't know. Maybe Grigson blocked a Manusky move previously -- no evidence to suggest that -- but Manusky was Pagano's guy, not Grigson's. The links are between Pagano and Manusky, and when hired in 2012, Pagano chose his coordinators himself, going after people he had worked with or coached against or had a link to.

So I don't think Manusky was Grigson's guy, whether the Grigson/Pagano stuff was true or not.

Just now, Shafty138 said:

Seems he developed a few good LB's in Balt. other than Suggs...  Remember a guy named Pernell McPhee?  2011 5th rounder?  Turned out ok....  Paul Kruger, 2009 2nd rounder out of Utah..... 2011 Suggs was DPOY also.... seems great with LB'ers

and he worked with Suggs at ASU as well.

1 minute ago, Jason_S said:

True...however..Keith Butler was Pagano's original choice of DC, but he declined at the last minute.   They then settled on Manusky.  So, it's possible that Pagano wanted to replace Manusky later on but was denied by Grigson.  

Manusky has strong ties to the Pagano family, and is treated like a brother, highly unlikely that he wasn't a Pagano hire.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7428673/san-diego-chargers-fire-defensive-coordinator-greg-manusky-promote-john-pagano-replacement