4 pm press conference / UPDATE: NO presser scheduled yet

CR91

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, csmopar said:

Im curious....given today's day and age, you'd think if the players had been told Pags is gone, 1 or more would have leaked it on twitter by now...........

I've thought the same thing.  I still think Pags is probably toast.  But it is interesting that we haven't heard anything definitive leaking out.

Maybe my prayers will be answered:  Pagano gets an extension, Grigson is shown the door.

34 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

Oh for the love of God...

Mind-numbing

Mind-numbing would be watching "The Dream Team 3" be put together.

It has already failed once in Philly and another time in Indy. 

Common connection = Ryan Grigson.

Maybe signing a bunch of old has-been players will work the 3rd time around?

Next year let's sign Ricky Williams, Brian Urlacher, and Jason Taylor. Championship!!!

1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

A lot of diverse opinions, but let me ask you all if you agree about this:

The Coach (whomever he may be) should be in charge of the line up, player on field time, and discipline.  And no decent coach is going to want a job where he's being treated like Chuck (assuming what we've read is true).

After cooling down I came to realize that Grigson hasn't done too bad of a job with personnel and salary.  Not great, but no GM is going to hit with every FA and draft pick. 

I'd love to see both guys stay on with the provision that Chuck is in charge of field and Grigson is in charge of the office.

Why is there an assumption that Grigson would make the same type of meddling decisions if another coach was here? 

If the presser is to announce that Pagano won't be retained, and there was only a one-year extension offered last summer, then its pretty obvious that Irsay and probably Grigson has lacked confidence in Chuck for some time. 

A different HC would likely bring a different approach, but people want to assume the meddling was due to some power ego personality disorder that will occur no matter who the HC is. 

1 hour ago, indy1888 said:

Is there for sure a press conference? Weird that i have seen no mention of it from any local media guys.

It was on a local Television Station  in Indy that Irsay would have a press conference at 4:00 pm est. 

5 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Why is there an assumption that Grigson would make the same type of meddling decisions if another coach was here? 

If the presser is to announce that Pagano won't be retained, and there was only a one-year extension offered last summer, then its pretty obvious that Irsay and probably Grigson has lacked confidence in Chuck for some time. 

A different HC would likely bring a different approach, but people want to assume the meddling was due to some power ego personality disorder that will occur no matter who the HC is.  Its a really stupid assumption actually.

A seasoned head coach would turn the job down as long as Grigson is here. No way a coach with any real NFL credentials signs up to only coach half the deck.

Grigson has already had his mouth wet with the power. No way he is going to hand that crown over.  

2 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

A seasoned head coach would turn the job down as long as Grigson is here. No way a coach with any real NFL credentials signs up to only coach half the deck.

Grigson has already had his mouth wet with the power. No way he is going to hand that crown over.  

^^^Agree^^^

1 minute ago, BlueShoe said:

None a single one of those things is necessarily true.

8 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

He wouldn't be signing up to coach half the deck.  The premise is that the new coach would have the full deck because the incompetent coach is no longer here.

Your second sentence assumes a power ego personality disorder drove the meddling and not simply a lack of confidence in Chuck.

Ok let's think about this logically there is no way Irsay could announce Pagano is staying without a signed contract and that doesn't happen in 1 hour.  He could announce either Grigson is fired or Pagano won't be retained or that him and Pagano are working on a deal to retain him.  Nothing gets done officially in 1 hour unless it is goodbye.

1 minute ago, snkdy said:

Same. But if they were going to fire him though, surely they would have done it before the final team meeting? This is weird.

Keep in mind that Pagano will either be offered a contract extension or his contract will not be renewed.  He isn't going to be fired either way.

Yes, I realize that's ultimately just semantics.  But it could explain the reason we aren't hearing anything.

1 hour ago, Valpo2004 said:

No replacement has selected, it's against NFL rules.

Rooney Rule.  Any head coaching vacancy must have at least one interview by a minority candidate.  Irsay could select a guy in his head and secretly talk to the guy and the guy say "Yes I want the job" but he's still gonna have to bring in a minority candidate for an interview before he can hire who he wants.

No one has gone to the Colts facility for an interview for the HC position.  

Therefore a new HC can not be hired.  

Also that's just not how it works.  NFL teams don't fire their head guy and hire a new one on the same day.  

This presser is probably just to tell us what we already know.  Pagano has been let go.  I guess the question is if Grigs was let go too.  I'm guessing he wasn't but I'd like him to be.  

If you promote from within, you don't have to worry about the Rooney Rule. (Or maybe that's only if you have a succession plan in place. Not sure.)

Sounding like the same old stuff we've heard around the media the whole season.  NOBODY really knows what's going on.  I thought it was almost set in stone the news Pagano will not be brought back would've made headlines before noon today.  However, a press conference was scheduled for mid afternoon, now there is no conference.  Leads me to believe Irsay is coming to his senses, most people want Pagano around, and he has plenty of time to think about the situation.  Not pulling the trigger quite yet, or perhaps having a change of heart and wanting Chuck to stay along with the fans/players.

2 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

6-3 with a backup QB this is impressive.  All and all I thought they handled the loss of Luck well.  The key problem remains against playoff level teams the Colts went 2-4 in those games this year.  

Yes and no. They did win with some back up guys and one 40 y/o guy for sure. My problem has been with how his game plans have been developed and tweaked at halftime over his years so far and with making some sideline decisions. Chuck is a great guy and someone I'm certain the guys love to play for but his ability to take advantage of weaknesses from the opponent just has been underwhelming under his watch. It's just straight up plain football and no genius wrinkles put in or being able to focus on weaknesses from other teams. I'm just going to be disappointed if he remains because his coaching talent isn't anything special outside of how his players love him. We can and should do better while we have Luck going into his prime. We need a bit of a disciplinarian at the helm but not so abrasive that his guys won't play hard for him. I'm not sure chuck has that ability to discipline a guy