Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The weekly Greg Toler sucks thread

RockThatBlue

2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Well Toler stinks and that won't change but Davis got torn up by Brown tonight and while I didn't expect Davis to have the year he had last year he hasn't been close to the same shutdown corner he was.

what I don't understand is why they stay in the zone.  At the start of the year they had to due to all the injuries I get that but the corners have been healthy for a while now and they stay in zone even though it keeps get picked apart.  Go back to the man.  

Also the fact that the Steelers ever got match ups with Brown being covered by Toler or Butler tonight is inexcusable.  If Davis is the shutdown corner he is paid like and has played like he has to take that matchup all night and win it.  I know other guys made plays on Toler and Butler and Brown ate Davis up but I still saw the Steelers getting Brown on our number two, number three, and one play a Linebbacker.  That can't happen.  

You'd think how the Steelers destroyed us in zone last year that we wouldn't have played zone tonight. I like Manusky but he really crapped the bed tonight. Game plan was horrible to put it nicely. 

No doubt that Vontae has been disappointing. Don't know what's up with him. But I think Toler needs to sit the bench next week.  And I don't know why, but we can't come within a mile of sacking big Ben. One total hit in the last 2 games on him. 

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, LuckIsAwesome said:

You'd think how the Steelers destroyed us in zone last year that we wouldn't have played zone tonight. I like Manusky but he really crapped the bed tonight. Game plan was horrible to put it nicely. 

No doubt that Vontae has been disappointing. Don't know what's up with him. But I think Toler needs to sit the bench next week.  And I don't know why, but we can't come within a mile of sacking big Ben. One total hit in the last 2 games on him. 

I think Davis and Toler's biggest problem is that they are better in man-to-man defense and they have been stuck in the zone this year.  Davis looks like he did in Miami still decent to good but not the pro-bowler he's been here and Toler while still not special was at least decent at times in the man-to-man.  Why Mansuky won't get out of the zone is beyond me.  It's clear it doesn't fit his players and the results back that up.

Also the no pass rush thing is a major issue too.  It's not fair to ask any corner to hold up for five to six seconds when their defense can't even get in the same zip code as the other QB.  They have to find a pass rusher this off-season.  Until they do this defense will not improve.

4 hours ago, TKnight24 said:

Butler is God awful outside. Buffalo game showed that

Grigson had Xavier Rhodes but he'd rather take a unknown DE and hope he can play OLB 

:sigh:

Good god...werner was not even remotely close to being an unknown. He was projected as a top 5 pick for a large part of his final season at fsu. 

4 hours ago, LuckIsAwesome said:

Mike Adams called out Toler and Vontae in his post game interview. Said them both by name and said they didn't make plays.  He said he himself didn't make plays either, but sounded angry at Davis and Toler.

Interesting.  Glad someone called them out. Vontae is not untouchable when it comes to criticism but I hope he is his own worst critic.  Toler on the other hand, I have no words.

4 hours ago, LuckIsAwesome said:

That what happens when your team put together a good offensive line it's hard to get the qb steelers have giants on that o-line we got our starting RT starting LT yeah grigs that's depth there smh

7 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

I think Davis and Toler's biggest problem is that they are better in man-to-man defense and they have been stuck in the zone this year.  Davis looks like he did in Miami still decent to good but not the pro-bowler he's been here and Toler while still not special was at least decent at times in the man-to-man.  Why Mansuky won't get out of the zone is beyond me.  It's clear it doesn't fit his players and the results back that up.

Also the no pass rush thing is a major issue too.  It's not fair to ask any corner to hold up for five to six seconds when their defense can't even get in the same zip code as the other QB.  They have to find a pass rusher this off-season.  Until they do this defense will not improve.

They've been burned plenty in man coverage, too.

Vontae has been good in man coverage this year  besides against Julio and Antonio. Now him in zone he's been atrocious we all know and have known he sucks at that. Toler on the other hand  is like "the walking dead" out on the field in zone and man.. He gets in perfect position and fails to locate the ball something you're trained to do as a corner LOCATE THE BALL..even when everyone is playing press coverage you can see toler playing 10 yards off when they only need 3-5 yards and the crazy thing is he doesn't give up the 3-5 yard catch for a first he gives up 20-40 yard first down catches while playing 10 yards off...it's getting to the point  to where I'm like how the hell do you suck defending the deep ball that badly when you're always so far back there unless you're simply TRASH

10 hours ago, Pagano's Realtor said:

This team is so under-talented it's not even funny. I know there have been injuries, but most of these players had injury question marks when they were acquired. Greg Toler looks like a guy who shouldn't be on an NFL roster, Lance Louis is absolutely terrible, I'm not sure Jonothon Harrison would play for any other team, outside of Langford there is very little skill up front. Trent Cole and Andre Johnson look like guys who came to Indianapolis to get a paid retirement. It's laughable that so many people projected this team as a Super Bowl contender in the preseason. Hey, at least we signed some big names though.

Their contracts reflect their worth. All are easily cuttable.  Its tough building up from a depleted roster with a bunch of dead money and a 2-14 season (lucky to win one game that year honestly) and switch schemes in only 4 years.  You'd have to get every player personnel decision right...which nobody does.

If not for playing in the AFC South these past few years, realistically, the team should be contending for its first division title this year...ascending in the AFC as Manning/Brady decline. 

Pittsburgh has drafted higher than slot 20 several times in the past 5 years.  The Colts never have.

Toler is real terrible.  Honestly the whole secondary was bad last night, but Toler is a guy we've let stay around too long with no real competition to take his seat.  We've got to show him the door this off season or maybe sooner than that.   The guy is very dissapointing.

Toler has won me quite a bit on draftkings this year... I always start the #2 WR for whatever team the Colts are playing against.  It is an absolute guarantee that he will get burnt for a LONG td every single game.

I can't tell you how many times presnap I have located Toller on the field and said out loud "They are going to throw it to (whoever toller is covering).  I just don't understand how I can know these things having never played a down of football in my life, but our so-called professional coaching staff cant figure it out....  It is the same old crap Polian did by never addressing the DLine.  It has been like 3 seasons of "throw it at Greg" now.  Can we please not pass on the Rhodes, Randle, or Peters that falls to us in this year's draft?!?!?!?!?!! 

5 hours ago, VaAllDay757 said:

That what happens when your team put together a good offensive line it's hard to get the qb steelers have giants on that o-line we got our starting RT starting LT yeah grigs that's depth there smh

The thing is due to all the injuries their line hasn't been that good.  It just screams how bad the Colts pass rush us.  That's what I saw last night how important a pass rush is.  The Steelers had one and killed the Colts with it and the Colts didn't and Big Ben picked them apart.

10 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Well Toler stinks and that won't change but Davis got torn up by Brown tonight and while I didn't expect Davis to have the year he had last year he hasn't been close to the same shutdown corner he was.

what I don't understand is why they stay in the zone.  At the start of the year they had to due to all the injuries I get that but the corners have been healthy for a while now and they stay in zone even though it keeps get picked apart.  Go back to the man.  

Also the fact that the Steelers ever got match ups with Brown being covered by Toler or Butler tonight is inexcusable.  If Davis is the shutdown corner he is paid like and has played like he has to take that matchup all night and win it.  I know other guys made plays on Toler and Butler and Brown ate Davis up but I still saw the Steelers getting Brown on our number two, number three, and one play a Linebbacker.  That can't happen.  

Exactly. Several days before the game I suggested that the Colts play man v. Pitt. On paper, it suggests zone. However, you had BR coming back from a short injury. Make him dump it in precisely by playing man. (he was on, so it may or may not have made a diff early) I think it would've. And, as you suggest, GoColts8818, WHY did they stick to zone after it clearly wasn't working? 

Dunno. They had a bad game. 5 times inside the Pitt 25 and a total net of 10 pts. Turnovers & penalties have blown up many of our games. Plus, you have to capitalize on turnovers. That certainly did not help. They score 14 pts. on those first two Pitt turnovers, it's a diffferent game IMO.

Oh well, enough griping. On to Jacksonville. Win our 3 divisional games left & we take the South.

3 minutes ago, ColtRider said:

Exactly. Several days before the game I suggested that the Colts play man v. Pitt. On paper, it suggests zone. However, you had BR coming back from a short injury. Make him dump it in precisely by playing man. (he was on, so it may or may not have made a diff early) I think it would've. And, as you suggest, GoColts8818, WHY did they stick to zone after it clearly wasn't working? 

Dunno. They had a bad game. 5 times inside the Pitt 25 and a total net of 10 pts. Turnovers & penalties have blown up many of our games. Plus, you have to capitalize on turnovers. That certainly did not help. They score 14 pts. on those first two Pitt turnovers, it's a diffferent game IMO.

Oh well, enough griping. On to Jacksonville. Win our 3 divisional games left & we take the South.

Yep honestly win the next two and they might very well be South Champs with two to play.

6 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Not nearly as much as they have been in zone.

Unfortunately, the TDs still count the same no matter what coverage you're in.  Vontae's been fine for hte most part, certainly not as good as last year.  Part of that is that we've been depleted in the secondary for a substantial portion of the year.  Toler has been worse than usual, requiring more coverage help leaving Vontae on an island with guys like Antonio Brown - and no one can cover Antonio Brown alone and not lose for an entire game.  Even when Davis had decent coverage, Ben made some pinpoint throws and Brown made some good catches.  

Just now, OffensivelyPC said:

Unfortunately, the TDs still count the same no matter what coverage you're in.  Vontae's been fine for hte most part, certainly not as good as last year.  Part of that is that we've been depleted in the secondary for a substantial portion of the year.  Toler has been worse than usual, requiring more coverage help leaving Vontae on an island with guys like Antonio Brown - and no one can cover Antonio Brown alone and not lose for an entire game.  Even when Davis had decent coverage, Ben made some pinpoint throws and Brown made some good catches.  

They have been in zone most of the year.  Again I understood the start of the year they were so beat up they had to do it.  However the top three have been healthy for a while now.  Why not get out of the zone that doesn't fit their strong suit which causes them to give up more TDs and go back to the man which fits them better.  Davis is a pro-bowler in the man and while Toler and Butler aren't world beaters in it they are much better than what they are in the zone defense.  So while TDs count just as much I'd rather they play the defense where they give up fewer of them which is the man-to-man.  No it won't stop every TD but playing to your players strengths gives you a better chance to stop more of them.

3 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

I've let it be known my feelings about Toler for years. He's complete garbage, and has no business being on this team. 

I want to know where all those people who've been defending him and raving about how he's such a good #2 CB are. 

He actually was good last year. Not so much this year though.

6 hours ago, chrisfarley said:

Interesting.  Glad someone called them out. Vontae is not untouchable when it comes to criticism but I hope he is his own worst critic.  Toler on the other hand, I have no words.

It surprised me. Adams always came off as soft spoken, but boy he was ticked off last night. He's probably tired of having to try and fix the mistakes that toler and davis make every game he plays. Can't blame him for feeling like that.

6 hours ago, Jason_S said:

Good god...werner was not even remotely close to being an unknown. He was projected as a top 5 pick for a large part of his final season at fsu. 

Its pointless even responding, everyone knows everything here, except how/when to give any credit where it's due.

44 minutes ago, jet1968 said:

I'm not sure why Toler hasn't been replaced.  Anyone on the Colts team can chase a receiver around and not cover. If anyone at least made an attempt at covering then they would be better then Toler.

Lol you're so cute.. That cracked me up .. What a goober