Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How did this forum know? .................

chrisfarley

That PEP was a huge problem?  It's not like most out here are former or current professional football players or full-time paid analysts, but yet a ton of folks out here were completely convinced that Pep's playcalling was bad, horrendous, or at worst, completely unacceptable.  The blame game net generally gets cast over a large contingent of coaches and execs or is accusatory of one individual who has nothing to do with the situation, but many upon many out here nailed it down to mainly play calling.  Kudos to those who did. Thus far, it appears you and the Colts got this one right !!! 

Can't speak for everyone, but I have coached football for a number of years.  Pep's offense was very easy to figure out.  I don't think it has ever been that good. I know people will say Luck threw 40 TDs last year.  But most of what Luck has done has been against bad teams with bad defenses.  Against good teams, Pep's offense is usually bad.

Pep rarely put his receivers into a position to get seperation.  That is as much scheme as it is players ability.  That is why Pats can bring in about any receiver and scheme them open.  Pep couldn't do that.  And when you get shut out by the worst defense in the league over a half, that is rock bottom.

Chud is not necessarily our solution though.  Only time will tell.  One game could be a fluke, or just the beginning of what's to come. We will see over the next few weeks.

but the creativity was hard to deny.  Doyle for example, the mix of run plays, especially in the first half.  the better separation the receivers got, the TD by Bradshaw......many plays caught Denver completely off guard.  Not to say Pep didn't have some, but just not as many and not as creative.

It seemed like Pep was causing so many problems with the longer passing plays as well, just causing a trickle down effect. Luck had to hold the ball longer, on a 2nd and ten, then a holding penalty would occur. 2nd and 20 would be a 4 yard run.. 3rd and 16, and interception from Luck..  I mean some is to blame on the players, but a vast majority on the play calling put our QB and O-Line in terrible situations.  It's just weird to think that he had 2 solid games with Matt Hasselbeck though. 

It seemed like Pep was causing so many problems with the longer passing plays as well, just causing a trickle down effect. Luck had to hold the ball longer, on a 2nd and ten, then a holding penalty would occur. 2nd and 20 would be a 4 yard run.. 3rd and 16, and interception from Luck..  I mean some is to blame on the players, but a vast majority on the play calling put our QB and O-Line in terrible situations.  It's just weird to think that he had 2 solid games with Matt Hasselbeck though.

Scoring 13 points and needing the kicker to miss 3 FG's to beat the Jags = solid???

Anyway, I think the 17 yr vet had his fingerprints all over the game plan.....but I could be totally wrong.

We knew by looking at the games and how dumb and confused he looked on the sideline when DCs would be cooking him for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. By the way, as I'm writing this I see that Big Ben will be gone the week we play Pitts....sweet! Feel bad for his injury tho. We could start trending up baby!

but the creativity was hard to deny.  Doyle for example, the mix of run plays, especially in the first half.  the better separation the receivers got, the TD by Bradshaw......many plays caught Denver completely off guard.  Not to say Pep didn't have some, but just not as many and not as creative.

Also Denver did not have any film of Chud running the Colts offense to pick up and game plan for what we look like under him. He had unpredictability working for him...the element of surprise. As the season progresses, more teams will have the opportunity to study the film to dissect him and then we get to evaluate his ability to adapt to that. So...first game excellent but it's only one game so let's not declare him the solution just yet. Let's see if he can continue to keep our offense viable going forward after the league gets to study him.

Scoring 13 points and needing the kicker to miss 3 FG's to beat the Jags = solid???

Anyway, I think the 17 yr vet had his fingerprints all over the game plan.....but I could be totally wrong.

Sadly...based on how Luck was playing at the time...the Jax game was a solid effort by Hasselbeck by comparison. It was the first game all year that our quarterback did not turn the ball over. Luck must have thought we were playing with apples instead of balls judging by all the turnovers he was serving up. Hopefully that is behind him and we can see more of the guy from yesterday and the previous three seasons.

That PEP was a huge problem?  It's not like most out here are former or current professional football players or full-time paid analysts, but yet a ton of folks out here were completely convinced that Pep's playcalling was bad, horrendous, or at worst, completely unacceptable.  The blame game net generally gets cast over a large contingent of coaches and execs or is accusatory of one individual who has nothing to do with the situation, but many upon many out here nailed it down to mainly play calling.  Kudos to those who did. Thus far, it appears you and the Colts got this one right !!!

Basically, when it comes to matters that might touch a racial or social issue, I've learned that the facts are pretty much the opposite of what the established media says they are.

Despite the struggling O, the coordination of the offense wasn't even remotely deemed to be even part of the problem. Established Local and National media outlets kept harping that it was the result of a poor offensive line brought about by a control freak CEO who does everybody's job but his own.

Because the media never suggested Pep or the coordination of the offense was part of the problem, I figured Pep was most likely to be most of the problem.

Yes solid, you can't tell me that Hasselbeck didn't play poorly for most of that game. Solid to me is a C, average. Good is a "B", and Great is an "A" 

When I'm sitting on my couch and I can look at Pep's lineup and tell you what we're running before the play is ran, it's easy to see what the problem is. 

Indeed... get your butt up off the coach lazy bones :P 

But yes, predictable, like how 1st year players can burst on to the scene and shine quickly until film gets built up on them and they get worked out. 

Indeed... get your butt up off the coach lazy bones :P

But yes, predictable, like how 1st year players can burst on to the scene and shine quickly until film gets built up on them and they get worked out. 

I was up off the couch a bunch last night on 3rd down.......plus my fingernails are all gone lol

Basically, when it comes to matters that might touch a racial or social issue, I've learned that the facts are pretty much the opposite of what the established media says they are.

Despite the struggling O, the coordination of the offense wasn't even remotely deemed to be even part of the problem. Established Local and National media outlets kept harping that it was the result of a poor offensive line brought about by a control freak CEO who does everybody's job but his own.

Because the media never suggested Pep or the coordination of the offense was part of the problem, I figured Pep was most likely to be most of the problem.

Goodness...

I thought this was a good article from Doyel and I don't even like the guy!

This is what Colts tight end Coby Fleener told me when I asked about Chud’s formations:

“It puts the defense in a pickle,” he said.

This is what quarterback Andrew Luck told me when I asked if it was obvious that someone new was calling the plays this week:

“Yeah,” he said. “You could say that.”

Luck was grimacing when he answered, because he likes Pep Hamilton – he played for him at Stanford – and he knows what his answer would mean. The Colts offense has never played a defense as good as the one it played on Sunday, and the Colts offense has never looked better all season, and yes we all know that the players have to make the plays.

But someone has to call them.

And the Colts finally have someone good calling plays.

Suddenly, a lost season has been found. The possibilities. Imagine them.

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/columnists/gregg-doyel/2015/11/08/doyel-finally-colts-playing-calling-has-grown-up/75431900/

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/columnists/gregg-doyel/2015/11/08/doyel-finally-colts-playing-calling-has-grown-up/75431900/

Also Denver did not have any film of Chud running the Colts offense to pick up and game plan for what we look like under him. He had unpredictability working for him...the element of surprise. As the season progresses, more teams will have the opportunity to study the film to dissect him and then we get to evaluate his ability to adapt to that. So...first game excellent but it's only one game so let's not declare him the solution just yet. Let's see if he can continue to keep our offense viable going forward after the league gets to study him.

Meh. We didn't run new plays yesterday. 

My main complaint with Pep is that he didn't call the plays that we've seen work over and over again for this team. Drive starters, rhythm builders, quick hitters, etc. His third down plays often had no crossing patterns or underneath options. Not enough play action.

We saw a lot more of those things yesterday. We even saw a middle screen and a successful slant. These things aren't new to the playbook, they just weren't being used often enough or at the right times. 

The run game still needs some work. A lot of Chud's run calls were predictable, but the Broncos also have a really good, really fast defensive front, so let's see what the run game looks like in two weeks.

Don't think it had much to do with that.  They didn't touch on Pep because stat wise we've been a top NFL offense under Pep since he was hired so they figured it could not be his problem so they blamed it on the line and the quarterback because it's easy to turn on the film and see sacks, hurries, and interceptions.  Play calling and game planning is not so easy to see with the naked eye by the casual fan.  As a reporter which one would you sell to the fans?  The thing that is easy to see, or the thing that is harder to see?   It's just that simple.  Didn't have much if anything to do with race.

Goodness...

Yeah, it sounds bad.  But that method works more often than not, when applied correctly.

Not sports related.....Last year the media was running with a story about a white cop that shot an unarmed black youth in a suburb of St Louis.  They went on for two days before I paid attention.  Then, I learned that the basis of the media reports was 1, 14 year old minority girl claiming the victim was running away from the cop, arms up high, screaming don't shoot when the white cop shot him seven times in the back anyway.

As soon as I heard that, within seconds, I knew she was lying and the media reports were wrong..  

100 news outlets using crawlers and links to spread the story in a cut and paste method, all based upon the fabrication by a 14 year old girl.

But because the media chose to simply run with her story, for days.  The belief that was true was cemented into the minds of the neighborhood to the point were the physical evidence that came out later didn't change the already formed conclusion that the police used excessive force. 

Its a story that was fed to try to provide evidence to support a belief.

Just like stories of Grigson being a control freak help to provide "evidence" that he is the cause of the offense's problems and that Pep was a scapegoat

It wasn't completely Peps fault though.  There were injuries and penalties on top of Luck made some bad mistakes (contributed by Pep's playcalling)

Don't think it had much to do with that.  They didn't touch on Pep because stat wise we've been a top NFL offense under Pep since he was hired so they figured it could not be his problem so they blamed it on the line and the quarterback because it's easy to turn on the film and see sacks, hurries, and interceptions.  Play calling and game planning is not so easy to see with the naked eye by the casual fan.  As a reporter which one would you sell to the fans?  The thing that is easy to see, or the thing that is harder to see?   It's just that simple.  Didn't have much if anything to do with race.

I think it has a lot to do with it.  But not really race, more like PC.  I think when things are not clear, the media sees facts as they want to see them.  Sure, if things are obvious, well, then its obvious, but if something is open to interpretation, PC will get involved.

Nobody has to agree with me.  I don't care.  The topic was "how did some of us know?"  Well, I'm just telling the forum, that's how I knew. 

Other people can use other means.  That's fine, I won't go out of my way to criticize their means....but I suspect more than a few will go out of their way to criticize mine.

but the creativity was hard to deny. Doyle for example, the mix of run plays, especially in the first half. the better separation the receivers got, the TD by Bradshaw......many plays caught Denver completely off guard. Not to say Pep didn't have some, but just not as many and not as creative.

It appeared to me that chud played off of the fact that Pep was so predictable.

It appeared to me that chud played off of the fact that Pep was so predictable.

he (Pep) was predictable, some plays last night were predicable.  its a matter of how good your players are to make plays even when they ARE predicable, but the foundation for success on predictable plays is more a matter of designing the plays for success (spacing, personnel groupings, cadence, protection, blocking scheme, & progressions).  The more time Chud has with this new responsibility, the more creative and successful he will be - IMO (based on his vast experience level).  I don't think he will fail us.

Yeah, it sounds bad. But that method works more often than not, when applied correctly.

Not sports related.....Last year the media was running with a story about a white cop that shot an unarmed black youth in a suburb of St Louis. They went on for two days before I paid attention. Then, I learned that the basis of the media reports was 1, 14 year old minority girl claiming the victim was running away from the cop, arms up high, screaming don't shoot when the white cop shot him seven times in the back anyway.

As soon as I heard that, within seconds, I knew she was lying and the media reports were wrong..

100 news outlets using crawlers and links to spread the story in a cut and paste method, all based upon the fabrication by a 14 year old girl.

But because the media chose to simply run with her story, for days. The belief that was true was cemented into the minds of the neighborhood to the point were the physical evidence that came out later didn't change the already formed conclusion that the police used excessive force.

Just like stories of Grigson being a control freak help to provide "evidence" that he is the cause of the offense's problems and that Pep was a scapegoat

You might want to let this one go

I think it has a lot to do with it.  But not really race, more like PC.  I think when things are not clear, the media sees facts as they want to see them.  Sure, if things are obvious, well, then its obvious, but if something is open to interpretation, PC will get involved.

Nobody has to agree with me.  I don't care.  The topic was "how did some of us know?"  Well, I'm just telling the forum, that's how I knew. 

Other people can use other means.  That's fine, I won't go out of my way to criticize their means....but I suspect more than a few will go out of their way to criticize mine.

Yeah, it sounds bad.  But that method works more often than not, when applied correctly.

Not sports related.....Last year the media was running with a story about a white cop that shot an unarmed black youth in a suburb of St Louis.  They went on for two days before I paid attention.  Then, I learned that the basis of the media reports was 1, 14 year old minority girl claiming the victim was running away from the cop, arms up high, screaming don't shoot when the white cop shot him seven times in the back anyway.

100 news outlets using crawlers and links to spread the story in a cut and paste method, all based upon the fabrication by a 14 year old girl.

But because the media chose to simply run with her story, for days.  The belief that was true was cemented into the minds of the neighborhood to the point were the physical evidence that came out later didn't change the already formed conclusion that the police used excessive force. 

I'm not going to stay with this long, but don't you think Deflate Gate has much to do with the medias portrayal and interest in Grigson?  No one was paying attention to Grigson before Deflate Gate started. Everything is fed off of Deflate Gate.  Colts big boss calling out/tattling on New England. Next he doesn't want to extend Pagano a long term deal.  It's very easy to build him up as a maniacal bully figure after those two things and then call the firing of the coordinator a "scapegoat".   Especially after numerous reports of Pagano and others on the staff set to be fired.   If we decided to fire Pagano instead of Pep he would have been called the scapegoat of the bully shot caller Grigson.  This is America and you're free to your opinion but I think it's off.

My main complaint with Pep is that he didn't call the plays that we've seen work over and over again for this team. Drive starters, rhythm builders, quick hitters, etc. His third down plays often had no crossing patterns or underneath options. Not enough play action.

We saw a lot more of those things yesterday. We even saw a middle screen and a successful slant. These things aren't new to the playbook, they just weren't being used often enough or at the right times. 

The run game still needs some work. A lot of Chud's run calls were predictable, but the Broncos also have a really good, really fast defensive front, so let's see what the run game looks like in two weeks.

This is why it was obvious to me whoever was calling the plays wasn't putting our offense in the best situations to succeed. 

Chud is not necessarily our solution though.  Only time will tell.  One game could be a fluke, or just the beginning of what's to come. We will see over the next few weeks.

Very well put.  Colts looked like the team we expected, but it is 1 game.... let's hope it continues, if so,  NO ONE will want to play the Colts in the playoffs!

I know that we didn't run new plays yesterday.  The point is that the tendencies and play calling mix & tempo were different.  That was the wild card going for us that Denver couldn't account for entering this game.  But the more games we play under him, the more that advantage begins to fade away.  The more film of this offense under Chud becomes available, other teams will eventually have the material needed to study his  tendencies and situational play calling preferences.  He will eventually have to adjust to that...that's all that I am saying.

When I'm sitting on my couch and I can look at Pep's lineup and tell you what we're running before the play is ran, it's easy to see what the problem is.

on a side note my phone predictive text must look at what I read because everytime I type in lol lollygagger8 shows up in options weird as % right? lmao

I'm not going to stay with this long, but don't you think Deflate Gate has much to do with the medias portrayal and interest in Grigson?  No one was paying attention to Grigson before Deflate Gate started. Everything is fed off of Deflate Gate.  Colts big boss calling out/tattling on New England. Next he doesn't want to extend Pagano a long term deal.  It's very easy to build him up as a maniacal bully figure after those two things and then call the firing of the coordinator a "scapegoat".   Especially after numerous reports of Pagano and others on the staff set to be fired.   If we decided to fire Pagano instead of Pep he would have been called the scapegoat of the bully shot caller Grigson.  This is America and you're free to your opinion but I think it's off.

I agree, I think deflate gate forced the NE based media to talk about something they didn't want to talk about.

As far as Grigson, I never understood the notion being floated that Pep was a Grigson guy.  Last spring, Pep interviewed for the HC job in Oakland, yet Chud was prohibited from talking to teams.  I'm sure that Pagano, or any HC does not have the authority to do that, so it must have been Grigson who protected Chud from interviews while not protecting Pep.  That may not have set well with some.

When media coverage of a situation doesn't make sense, you sort of have to look for ways in which it does make sense.

I know that we didn't run new plays yesterday.  The point is that the tendencies and play calling mix & tempo were different.  That was the wild card going for us that Denver couldn't account for entering this game.  But the more games we play under him, the more that advantage begins to fade away.  The more film of this offense under Chud becomes available, other teams will eventually have the material needed to study his  tendencies and situational play calling preferences.  He will eventually have to adjust to that...that's all that I am saying.

But with time , Chud might be able to improve on the schemes and formations Pep was using. So maybe some kind of "wash" with what you are stating ? No doubt Chud didn't have time in a 6 day week to change much....

I thought this was a good article from Doyel and I don't even like the guy!

This is what Colts tight end Coby Fleener told me when I asked about Chud’s formations:

“It puts the defense in a pickle,” he said.

This is what quarterback Andrew Luck told me when I asked if it was obvious that someone new was calling the plays this week:

“Yeah,” he said. “You could say that.”

Luck was grimacing when he answered, because he likes Pep Hamilton – he played for him at Stanford – and he knows what his answer would mean. The Colts offense has never played a defense as good as the one it played on Sunday, and the Colts offense has never looked better all season, and yes we all know that the players have to make the plays.

But someone has to call them.

And the Colts finally have someone good calling plays.

Suddenly, a lost season has been found. The possibilities. Imagine them.

People only seem to like Doyel when they agree with him.

You're right in respect to most fans don't know the in's and out's in coaching and how could they everything being so secret.

However most fans can discern play calling which is visible.

Chud may not be the greatest play caller in the history of the world, but after enduring 2.5 years of Pep, it feels like he is. There was great rhythm to the play calling, and situationally you could sense and feel the adjustments. With Pep, everything felt so chatoic and difficult, as if there was no rhyme or reason to anything. To the guy who last week was going on about Chud = 90's Dallas. That's exactly what it felt like to me - a calm, smart offense with great rhyrhm.