Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Could Pagano be Fired?

1959Colts

The fact that the Colts beating the Patriots would be an upset should tell you a lot about the team. Plus, whenever a win would be dubbed an "upset" of a team it means that the probability of winning was low to begin with.

In other words you just basically said the Colts will probably lose to the Patriots.

But I didn't say they have absolutely no chance.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Carolina at home is tough. Their defense is very good and cam is a problem with his mobility. Its not a gimmee

Which a lot of Colts fans need to realize. People have gotten way to cocky because of our record the last 3 seasons. There are no easy games. We're not the Patriots. The entire NFC South is a tough matchup for us.

I am not a big fan of firing the coach in the middle of the season, unless things have just completely come apart or the team isn't responding to the coach anymore. Niether is true with Pagano. The guys are still playing hard for him and as bad as the south is the Colts are still Winning it.

Exactly. The focus of this season has definitely already shifted from winning as many games as we can and getting the highest seed we can to simply winning the division. That is the path of least resistance to the playoffs. A win tonight would put us a game up on the entire division, which is going to afford us a lot of leniency, at least until the bye. Even if we win tonight and lose out until the bye, I think that could still leave us atop the division, heading into a post-bye schedule that is much easier. 

I really don't expect an in-season move. 

I will caveat this entire post by saying that IF all this turmoil is indeed a fact.....then IMO Pep, then Grigson and then Pagano should be the order of firing....IF there are going to be firings. Barring a 6-game losing streak going into the bye week, nothing should happen until after the season, IMO.

However....I also believe that if this rift is real and has been festering all this time, then Jimmy Irsay should have decisively nipped it in the bud by now.

In fact....seeing how this is the first GM job for Grigson and the first HC job for Pagano....VERY clear parameters should have been set when they were hired as to where practice / game day decisions on the field, and the personnel decisions in the off-season start and stop. One would assume they were but it sure as hell doesn't sound like it based on what is being reported...and though we don't know the full details, it sure sounds bad. But if Grigson really is making decisions normally left to a HC....then a castration is in order. Figuratively, of course.

Three years ago the idea of a young 1st time GM, a 1st time HC and a Franchise QB "growing up" together was exciting....and the first 3 years have, on balance, been pretty good. But that kind of arrangement does have it's hazards. A bad trade here, a bad game plan there....and of course a good ole fashioned country whippin' in the AFCCG by your hated rival....and most importantly, how they respond to it and get better.

All I know is that two personalities as divergent as Tony Dungy and Bill Polian were able to make things work well and sustain excellence for 7 years...with barely a peep out of Irsay....most likely because they'd both been "around the block" in their respective positions and knew the best blend of responsibilities, and agreed on them.

I guess we can chalk it up under the "respect is earned" category.

IDK where these current guys went wrong if this IS as bad as reported....but Irsay said at the time of Polian's firing that "I want my team back". Well....he's had his team back and it sounds like it's past time for Jimmy to have a meeting with these two guys and the entire coaching staff and etch things in stone for them. And if that means Grigson or anyone else gets there butt hurt then that's too :censored:  bad.

Bottom line....the season is early and provided Andrew's shoulder isn't shredded and he can return to form 10 days from now....I think we still eeck out an AFC South title and maybe we can regroup well enough to pull off some playoff surprises.

But it's a RARE occasion where I'd like to see the owner step in and lay down the law so the organization can be set right and pigs like Florio and Kravitz can satisfy their rotten, garbage-can swill diet someplace else.

Florio is an *, and Kravitz is a pot stirrer.

If Irsay didn't fire Jim Caldwell during the 2011 season, there's no reason to expect him to fire Pagano. 

I'd also like to understand why Irsay is being described as "oft-impulsive." 

I agree Supes just because Jim had some previous struggles with alcohol & pain pills in his personal life, it doesn't mean he's erratic when it comes to his oversight of the team. In fact to me, Irsay's personal demons humanizes him to me & makes me like him more because SW1 am no saint either I can tell you that. I like an owner that's walked on the wild side, shook hands with devil, & emerged stronger on the other side. Jimmy Rocks! 

I wouldn't be heartbroken. #Harbaugh2016

I love John Harbaugh. Jim, on the other hand, not so much. 

Pepe Le Pew Hamiltom is the one that needs fired. 

Red Rover, Red Rover, send Chudzinski right over! 

HA! HA! Bonus points for rhyming Lolly! 

I will caveat this entire post by saying that IF all this turmoil is indeed a fact.....then IMO Pep, then Grigson and then Pagano should be the order of firing....IF there are going to be firings. Barring a 6-game losing streak going into the bye week, nothing should happen until after the season, IMO.

However....I also believe that if this rift is real and has been festering all this time, then Jimmy Irsay should have decisively nipped it in the bud by now.

In fact....seeing how this is the first GM job for Grigson and the first HC job for Pagano....VERY clear parameters should have been set when they were hired as to where practice / game day decisions on the field, and the personnel decisions in the off-season start and stop. One would assume they were but it sure as hell doesn't sound like it based on what is being reported...and though we don't know the full details, it sure sounds bad. But if Grigson really is making decisions normally left to a HC....then a castration is in order. Figuratively, of course.

Three years ago the idea of a young 1st time GM, a 1st time HC and a Franchise QB "growing up" together was exciting....and the first 3 years have, on balance, been pretty good. But that kind of arrangement does have it's hazards. A bad trade here, a bad game plan there....and of course a good ole fashioned country whippin' in the AFCCG by your hated rival....and most importantly, how they respond to it and get better.

All I know is that two personalities as divergent as Tony Dungy and Bill Polian were able to make things work well and sustain excellence for 7 years...with barely a peep out of Irsay....most likely because they'd both been "around the block" in their respective positions and knew the best blend of responsibilities, and agreed on them.

I guess we can chalk it up under the "respect is earned" category.

IDK where these current guys went wrong if this IS as bad as reported....but Irsay said at the time of Polian's firing that "I want my team back". Well....he's had his team back and it sounds like it's past time for Jimmy to have a meeting with these two guys and the entire coaching staff and etch things in stone for them. And if that means Grigson or anyone else gets there butt hurt then that's too :censored:  bad.

Bottom line....the season is early and provided Andrew's shoulder isn't shredded and he can return to form 10 days from now....I think we still eeck out an AFC South title and maybe we can regroup well enough to pull off some playoff surprises.

But it's a RARE occasion where I'd like to see the owner step in and lay down the law so the organization can be set right and pigs like Florio and Kravitz can satisfy their rotten, garbage-can swill diet someplace else.

A very well written post PAC56! You obviously put a considerable amount of time jotting down your thoughts & it clearly shows. You are 1 of the best writers on the forum & I enjoy reading your big picture analysis often. We need to finish out the season, let the dust settle, & take a good look at where we are lacking the most GM, OC, or HC. Maybe all 3.

One of the best things Jimmy does is evaluate the whole season, not do anything hasty, & he does listen closely to his fanbase a very football savvy & diverse group of loyal supporters who will never abandon the blue horse shoe. If we can survive Curtis Painter & 2011, we can endure darn near anything. LOL! 

If Grigson gets fired, about a 99% chance Pagano is gone too. A new GM brings in his staff to run the team. So, basically it is hold the course with Grigs and Pags, or start over. Irsay has a big decision to make.

I don't believe you have to necessarily have to "start over".....depends on who you hire.

The key phrase in the story was this......

"Win one or none of the next five and lose in ugly fashion to Peyton’s Broncos, with the bye week coming immediate afterward, it could be the end of the road for Pagano."

Well....   if we got oh for the next 5,  things will be insane inside the Colts facility and nothing would surprise me at that point.    We'd be 2 and 7.

Win one and at that point we'd be 3 and 6 and I think Pags' job would be hanging by a thread.    Considering I think 9-7 will win the AFC South this year,  I wouldn't be surprised to be Pags fired and Chud installed to see if he could salvage the season by winning the division.

All of that said,  I'm not a fan of firing anyone mid-year and especially not Pags mid-year.    This is a mess that NOT of his making.

The ironic thing is that if the stories are true about Grigson picking the assistance coaches and setting lineups, he is sealing is own fate.  Because, think about it.  No decent coach would come in and take the coaching job under those conditions.  So either a subpar coach comes in, Grigson gives up that power, or Grigson is fired.  The only reasonable conclusion would be Grigson getting fired.

Chances of him leaving Michigan are slim to none BUT let's say it does happen & we do get him. What makes you think he & Ryan won't clash as well. Based on the reports that Ryan gets involved in the lineups & doesn't even let Chuck pick his own coaches, what makes you think that would sit well with Harbaugh? Or even Saban if by a crazy turn of events we ended up landing him. Also as great a coach as Harbaugh is, the man can't stay at a place for more than 4-5 years. We need a coach who's gonna be here for the long haul.

I wouldn't mind letting Harbaugh operate as general manager either. He's an elite-tier coach.

I wouldn't mind letting Harbaugh operate as general manager either. He's an elite-tier coach.

He is, but we don't know how his GM skills are & the only way for that to happen is if Irsay fired Grigson & gave him all control & I don't think it'll happen unless we flame out in the postseason & Irsay just cleaned house but the way I see it, Irsay should have Pagano have complete control over the team's lineups & coaching staff cause if Grigson is meddling like reports say he has been, then that's completely unfair to Chuck & the players.

He is, but we don't know how his GM skills are & the only way for that to happen is if Irsay fired Grigson & gave him all control & I don't think it'll happen unless we flame out in the postseason & Irsay just cleaned house but the way I see it, Irsay should have Pagano have complete control over the team's lineups & coaching staff cause if Grigson is meddling like reports say he has been, then that's completely unfair to Chuck & the players.

We'll see. They've finally pulled their head out the last few games.

It's looking less likely that Pagano will be fired...more likely that Grigson gets his "hands off the coaching decisions" orders

If Pagano is going to be accountable for coaching decisions and player-starting decisions then he needs full authority for these decisions...it's only fair.

To answer the OP....if Marty Shott can get fired after a 14-2 campaign, then any coach can get fired. IMO, it would be a shame to see him fired. He is a quality man, a great motivator, and he gives all he has. I think he is a better coach than Dungy was. 

As far as the Jim H talk, that guy has become a complete basket case. I loved Jimmy...I supported as a possibility before he was hired at SF, but since then, I have seen too many instances of his mental instability. He may be a great coach, but he has went down freak lane and I don't think he will turn around. I would be very disappointed if he were hired. 

Oh boy to think if we actually beat the Patriots... I'd like to know everyone's opinions then.

I seriously hope this doesn't happen and I hope Pagano can keep his job.  The only person who needs to be in question is Grigson for overstepping boundaries.  If he can lay off I don't see an issue.  Especially when we see that Hamilton can in fact call a short dink and dunk game and use his TE's.  The big issue that everyone is conveniently glossing over is Luck and his questionable play.  I think we need an innovative QB coach very soon.  Someone willing to bring Luck back to earth and let him know he doesn't always need to find the big play. 

I like Pagano. I hope he stays. Chud should be OC coach or O line/TE coach. I like chud. Don't care for Grigson or Manusky.

Pagano should be the DC but I doubt he would take the demotion.

HC Harbaugh

DC Pagano

OC Chud ?????

I like that idea....

Pagano has stated repeatedly with emphasis that this is his last job.  Sure, that could change, but it seems unlikely he'd go back to a DC somewhere else.   With his health scare behind him he may just ride off into the rest of his life with his family.  

History says new GM = new coach. I'd hope after winning last two game with back-up QB, folks will chill on the fire Grigs or pags stuff.

They beat the two pretty bad teams. Hell, the Jags practically gift wrapped the game to the colts. At this point beating up on the afc south again isn't going to save anyone's job.

What's funny is, if we somehow beat the Pats and get to 4-2 that changes the whole season around and people wont want anyone fired. We would be looking great at that point. The Colts just got 3 crucial wins and needed them. I just wish we would quit going 0-2 every season because for 3 weeks you cant even relax and really have to win 3 in a row to dig yourself out of the hole you dug.

They beat the two pretty bad teams. Hell, the Jags practically gift wrapped the game to the colts. At this point beating up on the afc south again isn't going to save anyone's job.

They won two games with back up QB. The roster and coaching aren't top notch but better than the pitchfork crowd makes them out to be. There's still 11 games left. Things will change for better or worse but no one deserves to be fired as of week 5.