Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts sign QB Josh Johnson. Waive CB Shaun Prater

MTC

Time for our 3 million dollar backup QB to handle it

ABSOLUTELY!  If he can't beat Jacksonville, then we can put another tick in the Column of Grigson MUST GO.   Matt Barkley was available and looked like a young, healthy, solid back up QB.  Hasselbeck couldn't have looked much worse during Pre-Season.   So it is time to put up.   They basically talked him into coming back this year and this is really the first time in 3+ years we're asking him to earn his money.  

They signed the other guy because behind our line it is highly likely Hasselbeck will take some big hits.  And do we really want our Punter back there handing off to Gore and then punting on 4th down every drive? Better to have Josh hand off every time and then have Pat come in and punt every drive.  

PS: Remember, the biggest reason they fired our last GM was because they didn't bother to pick up a quality back up QB for Manning.  This may be the same thing all over again.  Matt will struggle most because he can't move much to avoid the rush and Jacksonville is no slouch rushing the QB and their ears will be pinned back.  

PPS; We were just about to spend a fortune on tickets for the game before all this came down.  Glad we saved the money.  

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The biased Grigson bashing on this forum gets old. For the forum's education...

Nearly all of Grigsons signings were good signings. They were intended to be stop gap players who could play the positions needed WHILE TRANSITIONING from a Tampa 2 defense to a fatty 34 defense WHICH IS WHAT THE OWNER OF THE TEAM COMMANDED HIS GM TO TRANSITION TO. The only truly bad signing was Landry.

Also, transitioning (at least attempting to) from a QB centric offense to power running play-action offense, was commanded by the owner...who I'm sure was on board with the TRich trade..a RB that everyone thought was stifled by a poor Cleveland passing game. We have yet to see the PA offense (see many threads)

ALL of the stop gap players were meant to be replaced by draft picks either at the end of their contracts or during their contracts. The possibility of being replaced during their contracts is why the contracts were written with little cap hit when the player was cut. And which vet gets replaced by a pick depends on who's availabkle in the draft at the time. For example, the #3 WR of Avery/Nicks was eventually replaced by draft pick Moncrief or Dorsett (with the other replacing the aging Wayne/AJ).

Walden, Landry, Cherilous, and Thomas were signed with the intention of being more than a stop-gap-towards-full-transition player. Landry was the only really bad signing. Cherilous was a good player. Thomas had the resume of a good player. Walden IS a good player and has earned his pay.

In Grigson's 3 plus years, the only bad signing was Landry..when he was signed, he wasn't meant to be replaced at some point but had to be replaced due to poor play and suspension. The ONLY player who was overdrafted was Werner.

RJF, Chap, and Hughes were cut this offseason...no doubt related to the changeover to a quicker 34 DL philosophy instead of the fatty 34 philosophy Irsay told Grigson to initially build.

One bad signing and one overdrafted player in over three years. I say give the guy a bonus.

I completely agree that the Grigson bashing is getting ridiculous. However, i think youre being pretty generous to say that Landry was his only bad move. The Fleener pick was horrible with so many good o lineman on the board. DHB pickup was a waste of targets, already saw his skills on display in Oakland. T-Rich trade had so many red flags. I was never excited about a no.3 draft pick that a team gives up on after one year. I could go on but the fact is that we're not where we should be in year 4. Luck has taken a beating the last few years and we missed out on some prime cap flexibility.

I think a lot of our problems fall mostly on our coaching staff but Grigson does deserve a lil blame. Grigson overall has been successful in the draft, but his free agent pickups are meh. Big problem is that our HC & OC are not going to push Luck to greatness. It feels like Peyton all over again, where its the qbs team and all the pressure is on him. I wish we had a big personality/veteran mind as the coach to take that burden.

I completely agree that the Grigson bashing is getting ridiculous. However, i think youre being pretty generous to say that Landry was his only bad move. The Fleener pick was horrible with so many good o lineman on the board. DHB pickup was a waste of targets, already saw his skills on display in Oakland. T-Rich trade had so many red flags. I was never excited about a no.3 draft pick that a team gives up on after one year. I could go on but the fact is that we're not where we should be in year 4. Luck has taken a beating the last few years and we missed out on some prime cap flexibility.

I think a lot of our problems fall mostly on our coaching staff but Grigson does deserve a lil blame. Grigson overall has been successful in the draft, but his free agent pickups are meh. Big problem is that our HC & OC are not going to push Luck to greatness. It feels like Peyton all over again, where its the qbs team and all the pressure is on him. I wish we had a big personality/veteran mind as the coach to take that burden.

Luck has taken 68 more QB hits than any other Quarterback in the league.  

Well said

not sure I trust Hasselbeck even going against the Jags D with our current OL..  

Jags were in the top 10 in sacks last year

time to hope this is just a cautious move

this season keep luck on the bench against all sacking defenses, save him for next year when grigs gets an o-line

I admire your confidence, but i do not place Matt Hasselbeck in the Favre, Moon, Testaverde category. Let alone Doug Flutie. These are 40 year QB's I remember doing fairly well, or quite good. Maybe Matt can be next on my list.

Matt looked like old man Kerry Collins in the preseason. That arm looked dead.

I think his FA pickups did what they were signed to do, contribute to a new system until something better could be drafted.  How long any of them stayed was totally dependent upon who was available the following years in the draft. In that context, he did what Irsay wanted him to do, transition to two new systems on O and D while remaining competitive and not backloading the cap when the FAs were replaced.  Again, only Cherilous, Thomas, and Landry's contracts were really set up to play out in their entirety, which two of them didn't because of injury.

The Fleener pick is turning out to be better than Allen.  I mentioned in another thread that the first pick in the third round is a perfect place to find a long term OG.  Instead, he drafted an oft-injured second TE.  Of course, at the time of the draft, the Colts has no TEs on the roster, having just released an injured and overpriced Dallas Clark. 

DHB was a place holder until a receiver could be drafted, as was Avery before him and Nicks after him.  No big deal.

I think the entire organization was in favor of the TRich trade, so I don't blame Grigs exclusively...but it was a bad trade, even at the time, since I don't think any RB is worth trading a number 1 for.

I think Grigs real mistake was not in the player personnel area.  It was hiring Pep.  A more experienced OC who could guide Luck would have been a better choice, IMO.

We do not have holes at CB...we have injuries. We do not have holes at Safety either...we have 2 pretty good safeties. And ILB and OLB? Are you frigging kidding me?? Now, I will agree with RG, LG and C...but the rest of your post lacks merit.

oh we have an over the hil Adams a rookie and a guy who has been terrible his career but had a good game last week so he's awesome now. besides vontae we don't have crap at CB but a cripple in toler and butler who when he has to actually play outside gets destroyed. ILB we have unknowns in Irving and Moore and two horrible players in Jackson and a declining Freeman. OLB we have a wasted 1st rounder a average player in Whalden and bad Trent Cole and a old returning from injury Mathis

do torn cuffs require surgery?

In every case I've ever heard of they do.

Luck's injury is likely not that.  I don't think I ever heard of a football player getting one.  Its a baseball injury.  I think the throwing motion and stress on the shoulder is different.

In baseball,  repeated stress using flawed mechanics is the main cause.  I suppose a slam to the ground could cause one too, but I'd think there would be damage to other parts of the shoulder too because of the impact, and that damage would be evident immediately.

News flash Luck is hurt because he has taken the most hits in the league. You wanna know why? Because Grigs hasn't built an NFL caliber line. It's not hard to grasp

Luck got hurt because he choose to run with the ball IMO. I think we already have enough threads to cover everyone complaints. Just look at the other 50 plus threads over the last month.

In every case I've ever heard of they do.

Luck's injury is likely not that.  I don't think I ever heard of a football player getting one.  Its a baseball injury.  I think the throwing motion and stress on the shoulder is different.

In baseball,  repeated stress using flawed mechanics is the main cause.  I suppose a slam to the ground could cause one too, but I'd think there would be damage to other parts of the shoulder too because of the impact, and that damage would be evident immediately.

I am pretty sure if it was a rotator cuff he would be listed as out. X-Rays would've shown that on Monday. or any tear or break for that matter.

Too be fair, Romo has the BEST oline in the NFL and he's out for weeks

Injuries can happen at anytime but I do see your point

Romeo isn't that muscular though. It's no surprise to me when guys like him Brees, or Rodgers get injured. Luck is built like a tank though, meaning that if he's injured it's from a constant pounding.

Romeo isn't that muscular though. It's no surprise to me when guys like him Brees, or Rodgers get injured. Luck is built like a tank though, meaning that if he's injured it's from a constant pounding.

Hell yeah...but donʻt know how much more he can take...heʻs getting blasted every which way but loose

I know he's wonderful to you and all the hope clan

Let's see how easy it is to blow up your latest nonsense....

In the past two weeks, I've done the following....

1.   Started a thread that I thought Pep should be fired immediately.       Not exactly a "hope" thing.

2.   Started a thread that if Pagano's job is on the line,  then why isn't Grigson's job as well?    Not exactly a "hope" thing.

3.   Posted that while I like Pagano and think he's a good coach,  he may no longer be the right coach for the Colts because I think Irsay has allowed this problem to spin badly out of control.     Not exactly a "hope" thing.

If you bothered to read around here,  you'd know better.

But you've become a hammer.   And you swing at everything as if it's a nail.    Everything has to be "Grigson sucks" with you and your crowd.    Despite the fact that your hero -- Dustin -- has a thread showing the rookie grades and almost every pick we made this year is doing somewhere between average and great.    Don't look now,  but that's all on Grigson.    So far,  a very good draft.

But you won't acknowledge that because it goes against the "Grigson sucks" garbage that comes out in all of your posts.

Refuting the posts you make isn't hard....   you don't like it because I use things like....   facts.    And those get in the way of your posts which are based mostly on.......  opinions....   opinions are fun for you.   Facts are like annoying flies.   They bother you.

Hey,  you're not alone.   There's a good sized crowd here that does much the same.

It's just a tired act favored by the young and the unknowledgeable.

I am still reading Luck should play. And hopefully he is doing better then we all think currently since I know we are concerned about his long term health too here and getting hurt worse.

But, I am more concerned with the next game in Houston.

I might be a homer but I think at home with Hasselbeck we can beat the Jaguars.

At least Luck has youth on his side. If he was the age of Manning/Brady/Brees he might be in a body cast already.

I am still reading Luck should play. And hopefully he is doing better then we all think currently since I know we are concerned about his long term health too here and getting hurt worse.

But, I am more concerned with the next game in Houston.

I might be a homer but I think at home with Hasselbeck we can beat the Jaguars.

At least Luck has youth on his side. If he was the age of Manning/Brady/Brees he might be in a body cast already.

I honestly think we can beat the Jags with Hasselbeck playing too. They are that bad and we rarely lose 2 games in a row at home. The Houston game will be much tougher to win.

1. Started a thread that I thought Pep should be fired immediately. Not exactly a "hope" thing.

2. Started a thread that if Pagano's job is on the line, then why isn't Grigson's job as well? Not exactly a "hope" thing.

3. Posted that while I like Pagano and think he's a good coach, he may no longer be the right coach for the Colts because I think Irsay has allowed this problem to spin badly out of control. Not exactly a "hope" thing.

If you bothered to read around here, you'd know better.

But you've become a hammer. And you swing at everything as if it's a nail. Everything has to be "Grigson sucks" with you and your crowd. Despite the fact that your hero -- Dustin -- has a thread showing the rookie grades and almost every pick we made this year is doing somewhere between average and great. Don't look now, but that's all on Grigson. So far, a very good draft.

But you won't acknowledge that because it goes against the "Grigson sucks" garbage that comes out in all of your posts.

Refuting the posts you make isn't hard.... you don't like it because I use things like.... facts. And those get in the way of your posts which are based mostly on....... opinions.... opinions are fun for you. Facts are like annoying flies. They bother you.

Hey, you're not alone. There's a good sized crowd here that does much the same.

damn right I'm gonna swing like a hammer it's been 3 years and we have the same * problems we had at the beginning you and now our franchise QB is hurt cause he has been slammed repeatedly cause Grigs is to damn stupid to build the line and actually put forth some real effort and sure spew the crap about how he has tried his mid and late round picks aren't crap and he payed a RT with bad knees the highest contract ever given to a RT so yeah he hasn't done enough not to mention all tho holes in our D and the old butt over the hill gang he's got goin on the D too

I honestly think we can beat the Jags with Hasselbeck playing too. They are that bad and we rarely lose 2 games in a row at home. The Houston game will be much tougher to win.

I am not really worried about this Jags game.....whether it is Hasselbeck or Luck playing.

Maybe this bites me in the rear later with my attitude but I am not worried about this game lol.

I am not really worried about this Jags game.....whether it is Hasselbeck or Luck playing.

Maybe this bites me in the rear later with my attitude but I am not worried about this game lol.

I am not either so I guess come Sunday if we lose somehow we will look foolish but I don't see that happening. Jags would have to play perfect and us awful. I don't think in this Andrew Luck era we have lost 2 games in a row at home, of course he may not play though. You have to go back all the way to 2011 when Peyton was injured when we done this.

I am not either so I guess come Sunday if we lose somehow we will look foolish but I don't see that happening. Jags would have to play perfect and us awful. I don't think in this Andrew Luck era we have lost 2 games in a row at home, of course he may not play though. You have to go back all the way to 2011 when Peyton was injured when we done this.

you do know the jags beat the Dolphins

Dolphins are in disarray right now and don't look good, that was in Jacksonville as well. If we were playing at Jacks I would be a little worried without Andrew. Being at home we should be fine if we take care of the ball and play solid D.

just like how the Titans game was at home too people are giving us this win way to early we sucked with luck if matt plays good luck

What's wrong with seeing how Hassleback can do with the 1's?  He is going to surprise some people with great playmakers in front of him.  JMO.

Hass is a good QB with a wealth of wisdom, can he throw 50 yds down field ? No , but hes not going to hurt us either , he can move the ball. I have faith this staff is smart enough to change game plan to fit Hass.

1.   Started a thread that I thought Pep should be fired immediately.       Not exactly a "hope" thing.

2.   Started a thread that if Pagano's job is on the line,  then why isn't Grigson's job as well?    Not exactly a "hope" thing.

3.   Posted that while I like Pagano and think he's a good coach,  he may no longer be the right coach for the Colts because I think Irsay has allowed this problem to spin badly out of control.     Not exactly a "hope" thing.

If you bothered to read around here,  you'd know better.

But you've become a hammer.   And you swing at everything as if it's a nail.    Everything has to be "Grigson sucks" with you and your crowd.    Despite the fact that your hero -- Dustin -- has a thread showing the rookie grades and almost every pick we made this year is doing somewhere between average and great.    Don't look now,  but that's all on Grigson.    So far,  a very good draft.

Refuting the posts you make isn't hard....   you don't like it because I use things like....   facts.    And those get in the way of your posts which are based mostly on.......  opinions....   opinions are fun for you.   Facts are like annoying flies.   They bother you.

Hey,  you're not alone.   There's a good sized crowd here that does much the same.

Yup, the "everyone gets a trophy" crowd who constantly needs immediate gratification ....

We don't have talent. Outside of Luck Gore TY maybe Moncrief and AC nobody else on offense would start for an elite team. On defense only Vontae Robert and Maybe Anderson could start on a team. 8 players out of 22 where do you see talent?

A few things about this:

1. Most teams would be happy to have 8 starters that could legitimately start for other teams.
  2. Considering guys like Adams, Lowery, DQ, Herremans, AJ, Toler, Cole, Langford and AV have all started for other teams it is a bit ridiculous to act like the Colts were their own chance or they'd be out of the league.
  3. Holmes in just a few games has shown to be in the top half of the league for centers.  By the end of the year he will be in the top 10.

Hass is a good QB with a wealth of wisdom, can he throw 50 yds down field ? No , but hes not going to hurt us either , he can move the ball. I have faith this staff is smart enough to change game plan to fit Hass.

On the first part:  I agree I think MH will handle things just fine if he starts or plays.  I don't think he will make any huge mistakes that could cost the Colts the game.

On the last part, I don't have the same faith as you that the staff is smart enough to change the game plan.  I hope they are but faith implies that we have seen evidence of intelligence from the staff in the past so we can conclude that will be evident again.  But IMO, we have not seen a lot of intelligence from the staff so we cn't conclude they will be intelligent this time.

A few things about this:

1. Most teams would be happy to have 8 starters that could legitimately start for other teams.
  2. Considering guys like Adams, Lowery, DQ, Herremans, AJ, Toler, Cole, Langford and AV have all started for other teams it is a bit ridiculous to act like the Colts were their own chance or they'd be out of the league.
  3. Holmes in just a few games has shown to be in the top half of the league for centers.  By the end of the year he will be in the top 10.

Out of likes so here is a conventional one.... "like".

I bet Grigson is sweating. His fault Luck is injured and if he doesn't play, the holes in the roster will be exposed.

So we havent't seen the holes the past three games? If not, we could go back and view some of the highlights from the Deflategate game.