Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Maybe Colts just need a General Manager/Coach in one position

bap1331

I was thinking...I never heard of a patriots general manager. I was like, "is it kraft?!" then I googled it and it's bellichick!! This may be the main source of success for the pats.

He chooses the players he knows will fit. No need to get an approval, or suggest who he thinks is best for the team.There is no tension between a GM and a coach. He makes the decisions no matter what.

I was thinking...I never heard of a patriots general manager. I was like, "is it kraft?!" then I googled it and it's bellichick!! This may be the main source of success for the pats.

He chooses the players he knows will fit. No need to get an approval, or suggest who he thinks is best for the team.There is no tension between a GM and a coach. He makes the decisions no matter what.

I agree, it works for the pats , we should do something that works. hard to serve 2 masters.

I think this is one thing we can pitch Jim Harbaugh. He knows what it takes to win, and giving him control over front office decisions would be a very attractive offer for him...albiet tough to pry him away from UM before he ever does anything with them. I'm rooting for a Big10 championship and either a rose bowl or tournament appearance for the Wolverines this year so he could feel less like he left business unfinished in Ann Arbor. 

Go Blue! 

Hail to the Victors. 

If Irsay was given a choice, who do you think he would roll with? Pagano or Grigson? I am not really sure at this point. Lets say we go something like 6-10 and he wants to clean house but decides to keep 1 of them, who would he keep? I think it would be Grigson but who knows?

That's the big white elephant in the room. Who does Irsay side with, Grigs, Pags, both, or neither?

Grigs is more talented at his position, and thus, harder to replace.

If Pags is not Grig's guy, who will be? ...And does Irsay keep Grigs around with a new HC in place?

I have a feeling that Irsay ' s going to throw alot of money,power, and the keys to the organization to someone else.

Bill being named GM and coach was the first time Kraft ever did this. He said he did it because he understood that he had made some mistakes with Parcells and Carroll and also realized that Bill was one of the rare individuals who understood the economics of the game, personnel and also could coach (fyi, Scott Pioli helped Bill a lot with personnel decisions from 2000-2008). A guy like Bill is very rare as another poster already said and also Kraft allowing him to do both is also rare. But I don't believe the issues with Indy are due to having a GM and a coach but having the two not be on the same page. That is not uncommon the NFL to have that happen but when the two are on the same page great things can happen, see Seattle.

It takes a complete control freak to want (and be able) to be both GM and coach.  That's why Parcells, BB, Gruden, Holmgren, etc.. are the guys you always hear wanting this type of deal.  Pagano doesn't fit that mold imo.  It always seems to be too much for one man to handle, which it is.  That may also be the reason why the Pats get into so much trouble.  There is ZERO accountability for Bellichik, so he can do whatever he wants.  That is not a good thing. 

easy to manage cap when you sign below average players

That's a tad of a simplistic way to look at it. Plenty of players get paid big money that turn out to be well below average. For all Grigson get's criticised for his FA moves he's not signed us up to any millstone contracts. There's been far worse since 2012 ... Wallace, Levitre, Smith (Torrey), Jackson (Vincent), Cook, Jennings, Byrd to name a few. 

That's a tad of a simplistic way to look at it. Plenty of players get paid big money that turn out to be well below average. For all Grigson get's criticised for his FA moves he's not signed us up to any millstone contracts. There's been far worse since 2012 ... Wallace, Levitre, Smith (Torrey), Jackson (Vincent), Cook, Jennings, Byrd to name a few. 

it is simple, elite players have more teams wanting them, as such they command a higher price. few teams are interested in below average players, so they command a lower price. past history is the main predictor of future results, but it is not 100 percent right

it is simple, elite players have more teams wanting them, as such they command a higher price. few teams are interested in below average players, so they command a lower price. past history is the main predictor of future results, but it is not 100 percent right

I think you miss the point. Some of the players listed were market setting deals at the time, none are elite. By and large elite players don't hit FA but people still get overpaid like they're on that level. 

easy to manage cap when you sign below average players

It is not just below average players...the Colts could get by with a few of these filling the final holes in the roster.

It is the old age of the players filling in and their fairly big dollar contracts...the old guys have less energy, less speed, less resistance to injuries because of the hits on their bodies over the years, and in some cases the old guys have less ability to give full effort every play.

For every old player like Adams that you find there are 5 over-the-hill duds.

We just need to keep our draft picks and draft as well as possible and let the young guys play.