Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Report: Colts to sign RB Monte Ball

TKnight24

You're right but it's pretty awful that people would root for Ballard but be against signing Ball. Makes no sense to me

One don't have to do with the other, Ballard was a Back when healthy we know can produce in our blocking scheme, We don't know that about Ball. We do know he has a lot of wear and tear on him from Wisconsin, We know he can produce in a Zone blocking scheme

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One don't have to do with the other, Ballard was a Back when healthy we know can produce in our blocking scheme, We don't know that about Ball. We do know he has a lot of wear and tear on him from Wisconsin, We know he can produce in a Zone blocking scheme

That is true he has had a lot of wear and tear from Wisconsin, but with him being reserved to RB3 in DEN it may have freshened him up a bit. The schemes though Idk he may struggle he may impress Idk I guess that will be determined.

It's a low risk move so why not? He has to be better than Trent. Trent was just awful! We need depth at that position because Gore cant do everything. Injuries at that position have taken our depth away with Boom, Vick, and Bradshaw constantly being out. Heck Vick gets injured in practice alot. I really liked Bradshaw but he cant stay healthy either. Gore will be good but he needs someone to spell him at times. Never thought I would say this but I kind of miss Donald Brown. Brown had great speed and actually had a good season in 2013. We missed that last season. Brown would've been better than Boom.

Look here. Monte Ball's rookie year in Denver he rushed for 559 yrds, 4 TD's, and 4.7 YPC. The 4.7 YPC is pretty good guys. And don't forget he wasn't the feature back that year. That was the year Knowshon Moreno had the really good season. If Ball had been the main back he would have rushed for over 1,000 yards. He only played 5 games last year and then everyone started hating the guy.

Both backs doing so well screams oline to me.

I liked him his rookie year, but the injuries and then all the false hope he got from this forum really turned my perspective around on him. People really were on here acting like he was about to be the 2nd coming of Adrian Peterson but ignoring the fact he was coming off 2 non contact injuries

No people were acting like Tyler Varga was the second coming of AP.. and the coaching staff sure doesn't seem to think so if we're looking to bring someone else in.

Dude what are you talking about!

I'm talking about these pickups of guys that are washed up and/or nobody else wants. I've liked his drafting except for the fact he can't get Luck some help at the rb position. We've seen what Ball is...and from my eyes he seems to be a product of the Wisconsin system.

what is going on!?!? this season has become perplexing, we have a perfectly functionable triplet with gore and two good rooks at RB not to mention Bradshaw (who knows the sysytem already!!)just waiting to get the nod to come tear it up for half a season, yet were rolling with 3rd 4th 5th string corners maybe backup safeties playing corner if injuries happen, D line with 1 vet (hats off to Parry and Anderson though) and starting ILB who cant tackle, and here we are signing running backs, ive got to say I have been pro grigs and pags but im starting to turn

I.........don't.............know.............what.............to..................think..............about.......................this.......................

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm?

:thinking:

I don't either really. Love your avatar by the way. Overall like I said it is low risk anyway and it's not like we are giving up a 1st Round pick to get him like we did with Trent.

Please tell us what cornerbacks we are going to bring off the streets in 2 days that know our system?  The answer is zero, absolutely zero.  By the time the Jets game ends we will have Toler and Butler back for the next game so I don't know what corner back crisis you are referring to. This Jets game may actually turn out to be a blessing because at least we can get Price and Brown some more live game action which will be a plus down the stretch if their numbers are called.  When Patterson was with New England I watched some of his Ball State tape and I wished Grigs had signed him as a UDFA instead of New England.  Patterson isn't that bad so if there was any game for him to get some PT it would be against the Jets who aren't all that great at WR.  I don't even see Montee Ball on the roster so it might all just be speculation in the first place.  If we do sign him it's no big deal because if he's bad we'll just say Sionara like we do with many of these other journey man backs during the course of a season.

Please tell us what cornerbacks we are going to bring off the streets in 2 days that know our system?  The answer is zero, absolutely zero.  By the time the Jets game ends we will have Toler and Butler back for the next game so I don't know what corner back crisis you are referring to. This Jets game may actually turn out to be a blessing because at least we can get Price and Brown some more live game action which will be a plus down the stretch if their numbers are called.  When Patterson was with New England I watched some of his Ball State tape and I wished Grigs had signed him as a UDFA instead of New England.  Patterson isn't that bad so if there was any game for him to get some PT it would be against the Jets who aren't all that great at WR.  I don't even see Montee Ball on the roster so it might all just be speculation in the first place.  If we do sign him it's no big deal because if he's bad we'll just say Sionara like we do with many of these other journey man backs during the course of a season.

Great points. I haven't seen nothing official either so it is still rumor at this point that Ball will be a Colt.

Cool facepalm. My post was hardly a sky is falling outlook. I simply stated that I'm starting to question grigs because there seems to be a pattern. He likes castoffs.

We are LUCKY we have Luck. He hides a lot of flaws on this team like Peyton use too. Grigs knows he has a QB that can will his team to at least 10 or 11 wins every year (it's been 11 every year so far) but if we continue to fail in the Playoffs people will look at him as the guy that cant win the big one. Everyone did it with Polian too until 2006.

Cool facepalm. My post was hardly a sky is falling outlook. I simply stated that I'm starting to question grigs because there seems to be a pattern. He likes castoffs.

Every team picks up "castoffs" it is not just a Grigson thing. Every team has needs during the season, and see enough potential in players to bring them in as see what they have. I don't get why you think this is a terrible decision as it is so low risk. Worst case scenario is we cut a player to bring him in, and if he doesn't work out then chances are the player we cut will be available to bring back. However, if he comes in and plays well for us then we found an upgrade from someone's "castoffs."

Not only an upgrade if he plays well, but a young upgrade with some experience.  I mean I still think Bradshaw is the best option over Ball being that he knows the system, great runner and an excellent blocker which is key to me with all this blitzing these teams have decided to do now.  Health and youth would be about the only things Ball has over Bradshaw in my mind. 

You folks are all missing it:  We can have both Bradshaw and Ball.  Here's how it works.......we sign Bradshaw and he plays his customary 6 to 7 games and then goes on IR.  Then we bring in Ball for the homerun stretch.  Save some tread on Frank's tires for the playoffs.  Bada bing, bada boom!

......or sign Ball first then Bradshaw, whichever.

Seems I remember that Jeff Saturday was not even drafted and then was a "castoff"?  I am not saying that is the norm but every NFL team has so called castoffs.

Not only an upgrade if he plays well, but a young upgrade with some experience.  I mean I still think Bradshaw is the best option over Ball being that he knows the system, great runner and an excellent blocker which is key to me with all this blitzing these teams have decided to do now.  Health and youth would be about the only things Ball has over Bradshaw in my mind. 

So far we have no clue if Bradshaw is in shape. Just what he said himself. We have all heard that before just to find out a player failed their physical. This may all be premature anyway?

This is what happens when you mismanage the roster and cut the only proven back you have, in terms of depth, in favor of a guy who hasn't played in two years. Then cut the guy who hasn't played because you came to the realization that he will never be healthy. Let's give it a chance to play out though.

Yes mismanaging a team to three 11-5 seasons and two division titles is sad. I am thinking of finding a new team to back. :scratch:  :facepalm:

Every team picks up "castoffs" it is not just a Grigson thing. Every team has needs during the season, and see enough potential in players to bring them in as see what they have. I don't get why you think this is a terrible decision as it is so low risk. Worst case scenario is we cut a player to bring him in, and if he doesn't work out then chances are the player we cut will be available to bring back. However, if he comes in and plays well for us then we found an upgrade from someone's "castoffs."

Never said this was a terrible decision, but I do question it. Worst case scenario, we waste carries on Ball. From what I saw in Denver he doesn't deserve a spot on our roster. I'd rather give that spot to a stud like Bradshae, even if he'd only be good for a few games.

Never said this was a terrible decision, but I do question it. Worst case scenario, we waste carries on Ball. From what I saw in Denver he doesn't deserve a spot on our roster. I'd rather give that spot to a stud like Bradshae, even if he'd only be good for a few games.