Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Peter King At Mmqb Says The Colts Will Have To Score 40 A Game

Johnhenry

Peter apparently doesn't think much of the Colts defense or anything that they added in the off season. I think he is exagerating a bit but I do expect the Colts to lose a few games 35-30. I believe they will win the South by default (default of the other teams not being very good) but I also expect an early departure in the playoffs. The defense is a mess and that has to be fixed if they ever want to get Luck to the Super Bowl.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

well we will most likely have three rookies starting week one on defense. anderson parry, and smith if toler cant go. not to mention geathers will see time covering TEs. also who knows what mathis will provide this season and if you just look at the defense on paper, there arent really a lot of names that jump out so there is some cause of concern, but im taking a wait and see approach. 

The defense is a big question mark. I have faith in it as a fan but looking at it from an unbiased view it's a huge unknown. No Redding. Jones is done for the season. We don't know what Langford will be, and we've got two rookies starting. Also don't know what the pass rush will look like.

Who cares about a guy that writes for Patriots Weekly?

Well, he has been on the Brady side all along. However, weeks ago he correctly predicted the outcome of the trial and he listed the facts that would lead the judge to that opinion. I don't think King is a Patriot fan but I am sure that he admires Brady and the excellence that team has shown over the years. He also acknowledges the problems. He just never bought into Deflagegate and particularly the part about Brady having a hand in it. I agree with him. I think the facts were so fouled up and the investigation was so bad that I don't see how they fined or punished anyone. As far as Brady's phone, I would not have given it up either without a court order. Who knows what was on that phone and the NFL already has a record of leaking information. There could have been private texts between Brady and his wife or confidential business texts. The investigation had the other phones, they could see what if anything was said and if Brady was involved. I think it is time to just get over this and decide that it was much ado about nothing and one cannot even be sure if anything happened at all.

Frankly, no-one knows how this defense will do.  WAY to many new faces. especially in the front 7. Yes, it could be the bottom 3rd of the NFL...but it could also be a top 5 defense.  We just don't know.  And won't know till week 4-6 since these new faces will only get better week to week learning the system, and for some, adjusting to NFL speed.

Frankly, no-one knows how this defense will do.  WAY to many new faces. especially in the front 7. Yes, it could be the bottom 3rd of the NFL...but it could also be a top 5 defense.  We just don't know.  And won't know till week 4-6 since these new faces will only get better week to week learning the system, and for some, adjusting to NFL speed.

I don't think there is any chance that they are top five but if they are, the Super Bowl possibility is very real. I think there is a chance if they are upper half of the NFL. However, like you, I can see them being in the bottom third and that will mean the team will go nowhere in the playoffs.

im pretty sure that he is a patriot fan.  look at where hes from and the material he writes.

I have. You have to take into consideration that the Patriots, even though we hate it, have been the dominate NFL team for more than a decade. If he doesn't write about them, is he supposed to write about Jacksonville? He does write about Jacksonville but the best teams get the most coverage. I find him a good read with lots of great facts and takes on every team including the Colts.

I have. You have to take into consideration that the Patriots, even though we hate it, have been the dominate NFL team for more than a decade. If he doesn't write about them, is he supposed to write about Jacksonville? He does write about Jacksonville but the best teams get the most coverage. I find him a good read with lots of great facts and takes on every team including the Colts.

hard to believe hes not a patriot fan when hes from Massachusetts and writes a lot of pro patriot articles.  he also seems to hate the colts. 

hard to believe hes not a patriot fan when hes from Massachusetts and writes a lot of pro patriot articles.  he also seems to hate the colts. 

I don't think he hates the Colts at all. He just hasn't bought into the hype surrounding Luck but mentions how good he is. He is more critical of the Colt's defense or lack thereof. That is a professional observation. It has nothing to do with hate. Perhaps he also thought that griping about the balls after being whipped 45-7 was trying to win something in committee that they couldn't come close to on the field. It didn't work, it is over. It cost the Patriot's a million dollars (chicken feed) and a first and fourth round pick. They will recover from that and they will still be there because like him or hate him, they have the best coach in the NFL by a mile. Bring him here and the Colts start winning Super Bowls.

Well, he has been on the Brady side all along. However, weeks ago he correctly predicted the outcome of the trial and he listed the facts that would lead the judge to that opinion. I don't think King is a Patriot fan but I am sure that he admires Brady and the excellence that team has shown over the years. He also acknowledges the problems. He just never bought into Deflagegate and particularly the part about Brady having a hand in it. I agree with him. I think the facts were so fouled up and the investigation was so bad that I don't see how they fined or punished anyone. As far as Brady's phone, I would not have given it up either without a court order. Who knows what was on that phone and the NFL already has a record of leaking information. There could have been private texts between Brady and his wife or confidential business texts. The investigation had the other phones, they could see what if anything was said and if Brady was involved. I think it is time to just get over this and decide that it was much ado about nothing and one cannot even be sure if anything happened at all.

LOL

I don't think he hates the Colts at all. He just hasn't bought into the hype surrounding Luck but mentions how good he is. He is more critical of the Colt's defense or lack thereof. That is a professional observation. It has nothing to do with hate. Perhaps he also thought that griping about the balls after being whipped 45-7 was trying to win something in committee that they couldn't come close to on the field. It didn't work, it is over. It cost the Patriot's a million dollars (chicken feed) and a first and fourth round pick. They will recover from that and they will still be there because like him or hate him, they have the best coach in the NFL by a mile. Bring him here and the Colts start winning Super Bowls.

hes a pat fan just accept it.  he is from MA and grew up in new england.  he writes for patriots weekly

I think something happened and the Colts coaches and FO do not feel they have much of a chance to reach the SB this year.  IMO if you think you are close to getting to the SB you don't have 5 of your 6 Dlineman with 1 year experience or less.  You don't back up your 30+ year old RB (no matter how good he is) with two rookies and a player coming back from 2 years worth of injuries.  I like both Robison and Varga but both are rookies and are going to make mistakes if/when they get playing time.

These are the type of moves you make when you're building for the future.  Or maybe this will be what they do, keep the depth of the roster at league minimum salaries so they can pay out big money to AC/TY/Luck etc.  Which that doesn't make a lot of sense because Superman has posted numerous times with examples of how they can sign everyone.

I don't know, I can't figure out the reasoning behind the roster, on the Dline Okine was the only rookie or 1st year player that really showed consistency in his game, Anderson was close behind.  Parry was wildly inconsistent, Kerr, whom I'm a fan of, goes hard for 2 or 3 plays and then disappears from 5 or 6.

It just seems weird to me as I analyze the roster. 

Peter apparently doesn't think much of the Colts defense or anything that they added in the off season. I think he is exagerating a bit but I do expect the Colts to lose a few games 35-30. I believe they will win the South by default (default of the other teams not being very good) but I also expect an early departure in the playoffs. The defense is a mess and that has to be fixed if they ever want to get Luck to the Super Bowl.

So I guess you don't think the 11th ranked total defense has improved at all?

I want to see them play a game or two before I call them "a mess". Even then, it's a lot more important to see who's on the field in December. Way too early to pass judgement IMHO.

So I guess you don't think the 11th ranked total defense has improved at all?

I want to see them play a game or two before I call them "a mess". Even then, it's a lot more important to see who's on the field in December. Way too early to pass judgement IMHO.

That's why I said it's a question mark. So many new pieces. New SS, new starting NT,etc...we really don't know what this defense is yet.

That's why I said it's a question mark. So many new pieces. New SS, new starting NT,etc...we really don't know what this defense is yet.

Right. IMO we upgraded at SS and OLB. I think we're deeper at LB too. No one can say how the new line looks yet.

I think the biggest concern is at CB if Toler is hurt.

The devil you know is always better than the you don't know, but given Chapman and company was ineffective in the biggest games last season, it might be as big a gamble replacing so many. No one knows - I'd think it would be hard to play cohesively week one, but all teams have changes they will need to adjust to, including personnel and coaching.

The defense is......    is a mess?

It wasn't even a mess last year.       And so you think it's worse this year?

Really?

I heard on NFL network Radio that the Colts will have to score at least 30, but only scored more than 30 in one out of our last six games last year.

I think it might have been Pat Kirwin that said it.  listening to all the (away from Indy) sports stations, it is apparent nobody has any faith in our defense.  And all, to a man, believe teams can and will run on us at will. Myself, cautiously optimistic.

My guess is that the defense will be similar, statistically, to what it was last year; which in my view, isn't good enough unless the offense has a record-breaking season. Hopefully, Irving, Moore, Parry, and Anderson can provide the run-stopping muscle we were lacking last season. Our pass rush will be much improved. Our secondary is pretty good.

It's the D-line that is worrisome.

I hate to say it, but Peter King is right. Our defense with the loss of Jones has taken 2 steps back from where we were last season. The only thing that is improved is the addition of Robert Mathis. Coming off his type of injury, and his age to factor in, I am not very confident in how effective he will be. Our only hope is that we get get a lead so big, that it will take away opposing offenses running game.

I hate to say it, but Peter King is right. Our defense with the loss of Jones has taken 2 steps back from where we were last season. The only thing that is improved is the addition of Robert Mathis. Coming off his type of injury, and his age to factor in, I am not very confident in how effective he will be. Our only hope is that we get get a lead so big, that it will take away opposing offenses running game.

We lost Art, but we have Trent Cole who can rush the passer, something we did not have last season.

The defense is......    is a mess?

It wasn't even a mess last year.       And so you think it's worse this year?

Really?

Yes. Three rookies may be starting. There isn't a good nose tackle on the team. There have been injuries. There were no real substantive additions to that defense. When you consider those things, I think the defense will take a big step back. Add some injuries along the way and by the end of the year, it could be at the bottom of the NFL. I wish it were not so but I am afraid that it is.

Yes. Three rookies may be starting. There isn't a good nose tackle on the team. There have been injuries. There were no real substantive additions to that defense. When you consider those things, I think the defense will take a big step back. Add some injuries along the way and by the end of the year, it could be at the bottom of the NFL. I wish it were not so but I am afraid that it is.

I think you're going to be surprised.   

Hopefully,  happily surprised.

Whatever! We signed the Rams backup DE! Pssssshhhh

Jones didn't do anything last yr so why would the D take a step back due to his injury?

I think something happened and the Colts coaches and FO do not feel they have much of a chance to reach the SB this year.  IMO if you think you are close to getting to the SB you don't have 5 of your 6 Dlineman with 1 year experience or less.  You don't back up your 30+ year old RB (no matter how good he is) with two rookies and a player coming back from 2 years worth of injuries.  I like both Robison and Varga but both are rookies and are going to make mistakes if/when they get playing time.

These are the type of moves you make when you're building for the future.  Or maybe this will be what they do, keep the depth of the roster at league minimum salaries so they can pay out big money to AC/TY/Luck etc.  Which that doesn't make a lot of sense because Superman has posted numerous times with examples of how they can sign everyone.

I don't know, I can't figure out the reasoning behind the roster, on the Dline Okine was the only rookie or 1st year player that really showed consistency in his game, Anderson was close behind.  Parry was wildly inconsistent, Kerr, whom I'm a fan of, goes hard for 2 or 3 plays and then disappears from 5 or 6.

It just seems weird to me as I analyze the roster. 

It does seem a little weird. However, I like the linemen we kept better than the ones we let go. Yes the players we let go had more experience, but IMO the younger guys outplayed Chapman and Hughes soundly. I don't think we were expecting Art to go down so early and that instantly impairs our D-line rotation. I still think the FO has its eyes set on the Superbowl, but I just believe Grigs when with the best 53 this year compared to staying loyal to his previous years starters.