Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Season Extension

ColtRider

The NFL has talked about regular season extension the last few years.

1. Extend the regular season by changing last 2 preseason games to regular season games.

2. Move OTAs, TC, preseason games back 2 weeks ( 2 preseason games only, 18 game regular season)

3. There is no additional playing time here (just a change of countable games).

4. Generates additional revenue for NFL & NFLPA (which is why the NFL is considering proposals).

5. Markedly cuts preseason game injuries or does it?

Do all the above create positive or negative changes to expansion of the NFL?

1. Extend the regular season by changing last 2 preseason games to regular season games.

2. Move OTAs, TC, preseason games back 2 weeks ( 2 preseason games only, 18 game regular season)

4. Generates additional revenue for NFL & NFLPA (which is why the NFL is considering proposals).

If you cut the preseason 2 games, but add 2 games, 2 games in which are more meaningful, which means starters play 2 more games, I think injuries and fatigue would only increase.  And being how the starters really barely play the first 2 preseason games, you ARE infact increasing playing time.

If you cut the preseason 2 games, but add 2 games, 2 games in which are more meaningful, which means starters play 2 more games, I think injuries and fatigue would only increase.  And being how the starters really barely play the first 2 preseason games, you ARE infact increasing playing time.

The implication being that "playing time" means the season as a whole. Besides, no matter how you increase the regular season play the starters are going to play more. That's the point by moving OTAs, TC, preseason games back 2 weeks. The only other alternative is to extend the entire season, playoffs, Super Bowl into mid-February. So, it comes down to playing a total of 20 games (preseason and regular season games) or playing a total of 22 games. As to what extent that is, is why I started the thread to begin with.

For most starters you are increasing the season by about 1.5 games. Most starters are done by half time of the third preseason game and play maybe one series in the last. 

Unless they put another bye week in there I would hate to see them increase the regular season.  

I don't like the idea of adding two more games. Injuries are going to happen whether it's preseason or regular season, but adding two more that actually "matter" is only going to increase injury.

Here is my message to that just like what I said about the Extra Point rule change its not broke don't fix it.

The current 16 game schedule format makes for a pretty perfect schedule

6 games against division

4 against an AFC conf. division

4 against a NFC conf. division

2 against the remaining teams within the conf. with the same div. ranking 

if they extended the season, the only way it would make sense to me, is if they extended it 3 games...

I guess you could add the 3 remaining teams from the other conference with the same division ranking...

otherwise, how would you determine the schedule format...

I say just keep it at 16 games...

16 games is a perfect format for a 32 team league with 2 conferences & 8 divisions...

For most starters you are increasing the season by about 1.5 games. Most starters are done by half time of the third preseason game and play maybe one series in the last. 

Unless they put another bye week in there I would hate to see them increase the regular season.

I think they would have to put in another bye week and possibly increase the roster size.

The implication being that "playing time" means the season as a whole. Besides, no matter how you increase the regular season play the starters are going to play more. That's the point by moving OTAs, TC, preseason games back 2 weeks. The only other alternative is to extend the entire season, playoffs, Super Bowl into mid-February. So, it comes down to playing a total of 20 games (preseason and regular season games) or playing a total of 22 games. As to what extent that is, is why I started the thread to begin with.

Huh?  I've read this multiple times.  I dont get what you're trying to say in regards to playing time.  Of course it's gonna be over the season. First you say it wont add any, now you're saying that moving the OTAs, TCs etc will somehow reduce the playing time? How so?

Also, when considering playing time, look at how much time the starters play total, spread out by 4 weeks.  Shorting the preseason by 2 games, will probably result in the same playing time total, just now in 2 weeks

Adding 2 games and cutting two preseaon games, regardless of when you start the preseason and OTAs etc, it still an increase of 2 games for the starters.  This is because the starters rarely play more than a few snaps in the preseason game 1, and just a few series in games 2 and 4, game 3 is usually when the starters play most. so maybe 1 game fully by the end of all 4 added together, 16 games+ 1 17, plus 4 in the play offs. 21 games tops.

So assuming you drop 2 preason games, starters would probably play at least a full quarter of preseason game 1, probably a half in game 2(all assumptions here, so there's 3/4 of a game so we'll call it 1 full game, now in spread over 2 games, now combine that with 2 more meaningful games..  Assume 18 games regular season + = 4 in the playoffs + 1 preseason=23 games.

If they would change the preseason/season setup a lot of things would have to change as well IMO.

18 games

2 bye weeks

63 man team rosters

Games would likely be added to the front of the season and not the back.(ok, i guess)

I imagine the addition of 10 players to the roster would have an effect on the salary cap so expect changes there.(getting worse)

Lastly, the very real chance that exciting teams that get locked into the playoffs early give you a watered down product as they coast into the post season.(very bad)

I think they would have to put in another bye week and possibly increase the roster size.

Yup. Here's my idea, I've posted it here a few times:

1) Reduce the preseason to two games, one home, one away. Keep the HOF game. Allow/encourage teams to set up joint practices and some night scrimmages with other teams that are open to fans. Make refs available for these scrimmages.

2) Increase the roster to 60 active, game day roster to 53-55. Make the IR rules less restrictive (maybe a 6 game IR, like PUP, where players don't have to miss the entire season with moderately serious injuries). Keep the practice squad at 10 players, but create a separate tier of PS where players with no accrued serves don't have to clear waivers to get there, that way teams can continue to develop their young players.

3) Keep the season at 16 games, but start the season two weeks earlier. This makes the regular season 19 weeks, with 16 games, which means each team gets 3 byes. Byes start in Week 3, and the last bye weeks are in Week 16. For instance, a team could have a bye in Week 5, Week 9, and Week 14. They still play 16 games.

4) Teams only play Thursday night after a bye week. Reduce/eliminate the amount of times a West coast team has to play Sunday morning on the East coast, and if they do, it's only after a bye. Aside from the opener, no Thursday night games before Week 3 (to avoid TV conflicts with college football).

This extends the NFL's major TV schedule by two weeks -- two more SNF/MNF games. It gives teams more roster flexibility, and it adds 224 roster spots. All without adding any more games for the players. As a matter of fact, the two extra byes makes the season less physically taxing, hopefully keeping players fresh, reducing injury risk, and improving the quality of the games.

The current 16 game schedule format makes for a pretty perfect schedule

6 games against division

4 against an AFC conf. division

4 against a NFC conf. division

2 against the remaining teams within the conf. with the same div. ranking 

if they extended the season, the only way it would make sense to me, is if they extended it 3 games...

I guess you could add the 3 remaining teams from the other conference with the same division ranking...

otherwise, how would you determine the schedule format...

I say just keep it at 16 games...

16 games is a perfect format for a 32 team league with 2 conferences & 8 divisions...

All you have to do is change your definition of "with same div. ranking" or call ti something else, so that it basically means 2 different opponents.  For instance, currently, similar ranked means #1 in a division plays #1 in a nother same conference division.  You could keep that aspect and then add also that 1 in a division plays 2 in the other division.  And then 3 vs 4.

6 games against division

4 against AFC Conf.

4 against NFC Conf

2 against remaining within conf. 1 vs 1

2 against remaining within conf. 1 vs. 2

I think they should just leave it alone. Extending the regular season is just going to lead to more injuries and more player fatigue. I love football as much as anyone and would love to have the season longer, but I just don't see it being logical or feasible.

Agreed but I'd be all for cutting the preseason to 2 games. I think 2 games is enough to know if somebody should make a team or not.

I don't think the owners will cut pre-season games without adding regular season games. They sell season tickets and package in those pre-season game tickets if I'm not mistaken. They aren't going to want to lose that ticket sale money. If I could change it I would eliminate all the preseason games. Allow teams three weeks of joint practices. I would like to see 19 games with 3 bye weeks so teams would play the same teams they do now with including 1 extra game against divisional opponent. Also would have an additional post-season game by forcing a 2-7 matchup and essentially giving only the 1 seed a bye which would reward the best team in the conference with a bye and give owners an additional playoff game. As for the regular season, their extra divisional games would be one home one away and one foreign sight game and would rotate every year between the three within their conference. This off sight game would be played on a Thursday night game after one of the bye weeks.  AFC/NFC South teams would play in Latin America (Mexico). West teams in Australia and Japan. North teams in Canada and East teams in England. Early season games would be the ones in Canada with East/West smashed in the middle and late season in Mexico. This would expand the game for the NFL along with additional games for the owners to earn and give players more rest. Obviously there would be an expanded roster with additional flexibilty for IR designations. The players would play essentially 1 less game (pre-season), the NFL expands their market, the owners make more money from the added regular season games and possible additional playoff game.

Ok....I just re-read that...that might be a bit much lol....I still like the idea of taking out pre-season games adding games. Whatever they do they definately need an additional bye week I feel and expanded rosters....even now.

1) Reduce the preseason to two games, one home, one away. Keep the HOF game. Allow/encourage teams to set up joint practices and some night scrimmages with other teams that are open to fans. Make refs available for these scrimmages.

2) Increase the roster to 60 active, game day roster to 53-55. Make the IR rules less restrictive (maybe a 6 game IR, like PUP, where players don't have to miss the entire season with moderately serious injuries). Keep the practice squad at 10 players, but create a separate tier of PS where players with no accrued serves don't have to clear waivers to get there, that way teams can continue to develop their young players.

3) Keep the season at 16 games, but start the season two weeks earlier. This makes the regular season 19 weeks, with 16 games, which means each team gets 3 byes. Byes start in Week 3, and the last bye weeks are in Week 16. For instance, a team could have a bye in Week 5, Week 9, and Week 14. They still play 16 games.

4) Teams only play Thursday night after a bye week. Reduce/eliminate the amount of times a West coast team has to play Sunday morning on the East coast, and if they do, it's only after a bye. Aside from the opener, no Thursday night games before Week 3 (to avoid TV conflicts with college football).

This extends the NFL's major TV schedule by two weeks -- two more SNF/MNF games. It gives teams more roster flexibility, and it adds 224 roster spots. All without adding any more games for the players. As a matter of fact, the two extra byes makes the season less physically taxing, hopefully keeping players fresh, reducing injury risk, and improving the quality of the games.

Great post....

I think #3 is going to be a problem.    I think the NFL and the NCAA have an understanding -- an agreement -- for the NFL not to start any earlier.     This allows College Football to start on a clean,  unopposed schedule to maximize their sport.    The NFL waits until a week or so after Labor Day for its start.      Not sure the NFL will go any sooner.   

But I don't see a reason to start at the same as they currently do and just stretch out the season so the SB is at the end of February.     It's a big sweeps month, so it helps television.    Of course, the players will oppose it on the grounds that it shortens their off-season.    

In short,  not sure there's a clear path.     There are hurdles to over-come.....

Great post....

I think #3 is going to be a problem.    I think the NFL and the NCAA have an understanding -- an agreement -- for the NFL not to start any earlier.     This allows College Football to start on a clean,  unopposed schedule to maximize their sport.    The NFL waits until a week or so after Labor Day for its start.      Not sure the NFL will go any sooner.   

But I don't see a reason to start at the same as they currently do and just stretch out the season so the SB is at the end of February.     It's a big sweeps month, so it helps television.    Of course, the players will oppose it on the grounds that it shortens their off-season.    

In short,  not sure there's a clear path.     There are hurdles to over-come.....

If you're shortening preseason, then you can postpone training camp two weeks. Doesn't really matter whether you start earlier or end later, I don't think. You're not really shortening the offseason.

But regarding the NFL's agreement with college football, I think the point is that they don't play on Saturday night. That's part of the NFL's antitrust exemption, as a matter of fact. I don't know if starting sooner is a sticking point; it might be. In the preseason though, NFL games are on any day of the week.

I think all these changes would be a matter of collective bargaining. That means there are significant hurdles. But if I were the Supreme Ruler of NFL, that's how I would change things.

If you're shortening preseason, then you can postpone training camp two weeks. Doesn't really matter whether you start earlier or end later, I don't think. You're not really shortening the offseason.

But regarding the NFL's agreement with college football, I think the point is that they don't play on Saturday night. That's part of the NFL's antitrust exemption, as a matter of fact. I don't know if starting sooner is a sticking point; it might be. In the preseason though, NFL games are on any day of the week.

I think all these changes would be a matter of collective bargaining. That means there are significant hurdles. But if I were the Supreme Ruler of NFL, that's how I would change things.

I know about the games on Saturday night restriction....   but I'm somewhat confident there's also a gentleman's agreement in place about the season not starting earlier.     

How the NFL handles that going forward is anyone's guess.    Greed is a powerful instinct.

All you have to do is change your definition of "with same div. ranking" or call ti something else, so that it basically means 2 different opponents.  For instance, currently, similar ranked means #1 in a division plays #1 in a nother same conference division.  You could keep that aspect and then add also that 1 in a division plays 2 in the other division.  And then 3 vs 4.

6 games against division

4 against AFC Conf.

4 against NFC Conf

2 against remaining within conf. 1 vs 1

2 against remaining within conf. 1 vs. 2

I guess that would work, & that way teams would really play most of the teams within the conference...

I still think a 16 game season works the best though...

Ha

Let me put this another way.........

I think it's more likely than not that there is an arrangement between the NFL and the NCAA!        :thmup:

Darn!     I blew the joke!!         :facepalm:

It was staring at me right in the face,  and I missed it!!

(I hate when that happens!)

Let me put this another way.........

I think it's more likely than not that there is an arrangement between the NFL and the NCAA! :thmup:

Darn! I blew the joke!! :facepalm:

It was staring at me right in the face, and I missed it!!

(I hate when that happens!)

"More Likely Than Not" is the name of one of my fantasy football teams.

Edit: It's actually "More Probable Than Not"

I guess that would work, & that way teams would really play most of the teams within the conference...

I still think a 16 game season works the best though...

Ha

The 16 game schedule is certainly a bit cleaner, but I wouldn't mind if they added 2 games.  The injury concerns are legitimate, but I don't think they'll detract from the game as much as people think it will, especially if they expanded the rosters.  I do think however, that the NFL will use this as a serious bargaining chip in the next CBA negotiations because I think the NFLPA will want to change the arbitration process so that there's a neutral appeal.  The NFLPA will have to give something up, and they won't want to take a diminished share of the NFL profits.  Their best bet is to probably concede the 18 game schedule in exchange for the arbitration process they want.

Huh?  I've read this multiple times.  I dont get what you're trying to say in regards to playing time.  Of course it's gonna be over the season. First you say it wont add any, now you're saying that moving the OTAs, TCs etc will somehow reduce the playing time? How so?

Also, when considering playing time, look at how much time the starters play total, spread out by 4 weeks.  Shorting the preseason by 2 games, will probably result in the same playing time total, just now in 2 weeks

Adding 2 games and cutting two preseaon games, regardless of when you start the preseason and OTAs etc, it still an increase of 2 games for the starters.  This is because the starters rarely play more than a few snaps in the preseason game 1, and just a few series in games 2 and 4, game 3 is usually when the starters play most. so maybe 1 game fully by the end of all 4 added together, 16 games+ 1 17, plus 4 in the play offs. 21 games tops.

So assuming you drop 2 preason games, starters would probably play at least a full quarter of preseason game 1, probably a half in game 2(all assumptions here, so there's 3/4 of a game so we'll call it 1 full game, now in spread over 2 games, now combine that with 2 more meaningful games..  Assume 18 games regular season + = 4 in the playoffs + 1 preseason=23 games.

Just put out one of the scenarios (have been quite a few) that have been proposed to increase the regular NFL season to 18 games. Thought it would be interesting to see the feedback from this one. This was not my specific view. Although, I do agree with several points presented in the original post. Maybe I wasn't clear enough. Sorry for the confusion.

I like this proposal, Superman. Gotta question, though. Wouldn't a similar venue work for an 18 game season as well? Also, would having byes in the 16th Week or 18th Week disrupt playoff readiness? (mojo, flow of play, et.al)

Well of course it cuts down on preseason injuries, but that is just a technicality considering the amount of total games stay the same.

I was listening to the NFL channel on Sirius this morning with Ross Tucker and someone else.  They were talking to a guest and he had stated that research had been done in reference to the amount of legit starters who end up on injured reserve during OTA's and preseason games for the past 12-15 years.

The results showed that Pre-CBA, the average was 7 with as low as 2 and as high as 9.  Post-CBA averaged 11 with as low as 9 and as high 12.

It does not formally state a conclusion but infers that it is not the amount of games that are the reason for so many injuries but the fact that the NFLPA has basically bargained out all pre-season training and conditioning.  The guest also predicted that if the trend continues to go, that by 2030 basically there will be no offseason training, that players will just show up to games and that the NFL will get 95% of the revenue.  This is because the NFLPA keeps giving up revenue so that they don't have to practice and condition themselves as much during the pre-season. 

I whole-heartedly agree with the premise that the decrease of preseason activities has a direct connection to the increase in injuries.

Edit: sorry for the lack of quotable names, it was 6 am and i wasnt quite awake.

I like this proposal, Superman. Gotta question, though. Wouldn't a similar venue work for an 18 game season as well? Also, would having byes in the 16th Week or 18th Week disrupt playoff readiness? (mojo, flow of play, et.al)

If you add games, you have to extend the calendar. And of course, it's more games. I think the NFLPA is right to resist an 18 game schedule. I don't think it would be good for the game, I don't think it's good for the players, the product, etc. Just a money grab. The technicalities with scheduling and so on can be figured out, but I don't like the idea.

I think if you get rid of two preseason games and give teams two more bye weeks and more roster spots and more flexibility to work IR, the NFLPA would get out of the way. The extra revenue from two more weeks of TV dominance would make up for the 224 back-end roster guys. Player safety is obvious. And it might help more teams to carry 3 QBs on the active roster, and develop younger guys, so if your QBs get hurt, you're not scrambling to add some grey beard who hasn't played, or some journeyman who can't stick to a team. Better QBing = better football.

And I don't think late byes is a good idea. You have teams fighting for playoff spots. One team has a Week 16 bye, and that helps them finish strong. Just kind of throws the competitive balance off. The idea of having byes contained toward the middle is that it doesn't greatly influence the outcome of the season.

If you add games, you have to extend the calendar. And of course, it's more games. I think the NFLPA is right to resist an 18 game schedule. I don't think it would be good for the game, I don't think it's good for the players, the product, etc. Just a money grab. The technicalities with scheduling and so on can be figured out, but I don't like the idea.

I think if you get rid of two preseason games and give teams two more bye weeks and more roster spots and more flexibility to work IR, the NFLPA would get out of the way. The extra revenue from two more weeks of TV dominance would make up for the 224 back-end roster guys. Player safety is obvious. And it might help more teams to carry 3 QBs on the active roster, and develop younger guys, so if your QBs get hurt, you're not scrambling to add some grey beard who hasn't played, or some journeyman who can't stick to a team. Better QBing = better football.

And I don't think late byes is a good idea. You have teams fighting for playoff spots. One team has a Week 16 bye, and that helps them finish strong. Just kind of throws the competitive balance off. The idea of having byes contained toward the middle is that it doesn't greatly influence the outcome of the season.

Gotcha. Yeah, I get what you're driving at. The "money grab" is something the NFL is obviously looking at on a continual and what seems to be "ad nauseam" basis. It's a business, just as any other trying to satisfy the customer base and financial windfall. There's no doubt in my mind that is exactly why the ongoing push from some to extend seasons. I would certainly tend to align myself with the other real money-maker here. NFL Expansion. Los Angeles is the # 1 market(ed) area in the country. To not have a team there for such a long time is ludicrous to me. We all know that's what will happen. It's just a question of when. Soon, from what I hear.

Have you or anyone else heard news concerning the other area(s) that the league is looking into right now to go along with L.A.? Of course, having at least two marketable team cities or region that enter the league at once is a given, has there been anymore talk of further expansion outreach by the NFL besides this? I know that they're toying with the idea of foreign countries entering the fray. I would assume that would be the next step after the L.A. & unknown city acceptance.

Thoughts?

By extending the season byes you would have to dilute the number of games on Sunday because you have two more weeks thar need to be filled with the same amount of games.

This could be argued either way for good and bad.

I do like adding 1 more team to the playoffs, though. Nothing to do with your post but made me think of it.

And before you or anyone else says more sub .500 teams would get in, go back the last 10 years and count how many 9-7, 8-8, and 7-9 teams would have gotten in. Trust me you can count on one hand and won't use all your fingers for .500 teams and below.

By extending the season byes you would have to dilute the number of games on Sunday because you have two more weeks thar need to be filled with the same amount of games.

This could be argued either way for good and bad.

I do like adding 1 more team to the playoffs, though. Nothing to do with your post but made me think of it.

And before you or anyone else says more sub .500 teams would get in, go back the last 10 years and count how many 9-7, 8-8, and 7-9 teams would have gotten in. Trust me you can count on one hand and won't use all your fingers for .500 teams and below.

I'm not interested in one more team in the playoffs. I get it, but I don't see the draw.

And yeah, you're reducing the number of games on Sunday, but who watches every game anyway? Even with Rewind and Sunday Ticket, it's not gonna happen. Red Zone has to play catch up sometimes. To me, reducing the number of games on a given Sunday is a good thing.

Well of course it cuts down on preseason injuries, but that is just a technicality considering the amount of total games stay the same.

I was listening to the NFL channel on Sirius this morning with Ross Tucker and someone else.  They were talking to a guest and he had stated that research had been done in reference to the amount of legit starters who end up on injured reserve during OTA's and preseason games for the past 12-15 years.

The results showed that Pre-CBA, the average was 7 with as low as 2 and as high as 9.  Post-CBA averaged 11 with as low as 9 and as high 12.

It does not formally state a conclusion but infers that it is not the amount of games that are the reason for so many injuries but the fact that the NFLPA has basically bargained out all pre-season training and conditioning.  The guest also predicted that if the trend continues to go, that by 2030 basically there will be no offseason training, that players will just show up to games and that the NFL will get 95% of the revenue.  This is because the NFLPA keeps giving up revenue so that they don't have to practice and condition themselves as much during the pre-season. 

I whole-heartedly agree with the premise that the decrease of preseason activities has a direct connection to the increase in injuries.

Edit: sorry for the lack of quotable names, it was 6 am and i wasnt quite awake.

The inference is very interesting. Thanks for the post, Narcosys. Didn't realize the NFLPA was so entrenched like this.

I don't like the idea of adding two more games. Injuries are going to happen whether it's preseason or regular season, but adding two more that actually "matter" is only going to increase injury.

Injuries are occuring because players aren't preparing their bodies as much anymore.

I know about the games on Saturday night restriction....   but I'm somewhat confident there's also a gentleman's agreement in place about the season not starting earlier.     

How the NFL handles that going forward is anyone's guess.    Greed is a powerful instinct.

Makes me recall the movie, "Wall Street", and the speech given by Gordon Gekko on the subject of "Greed". Sometimes it's most beneficial when applied in the correct format and context. But for the entire circumference, it just boils down to what you've stated above. Instinctive powers can be controlled with intelligence. However, that seems to be the very minute minority on the larger plain of all things, including sports.

Sorry for the editorial. The word itself put me in frame of mind to comment.

93a11385_2502762-6278897736-no-no.gif

The NFL needs to stop. Quit messing with everything from more games, to stupid rules. 

All this is going to do is cause more injuries due to wear and tear. When all the star players go out, who's going to want to watch the 2nd string vs. the B-Team?

Pretty sure the NFL doesn't want to expound on further injuries. Trying to expand their product is like any other business. It's driven by monetary goals and aspirations, not only for themselves, but for their customer base and advertisers. Laying out scenarios to achieve this is where you get into a variety of so called, "sticky aspects" i.e. injuries and the like to expansion of more teams.

Several points have been posted in the thread that make quite a bit of sense. You cannot dismiss the fact that the NFL will engage into other optional aspects than "status quo". It's "more probable than not" (ref: Superman). The league has a responsibility to grow its business as best it possibly can without injurious arrows spearing itself along the way. Injuries are a large concern. However, it is in the best interest of everyone to form a pattern of player friendly extension of games and/or expansion of the league.