Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

David Parry

RockThatBlue

I think he deserves his own thread over how well he played. I know he was going against back ups but color me impressed because he made the eagles linemen look flat out terrible. Made several plays in the back field.

In fact our D line as a whole looked very nice but Parry was wreaking some havoc out there. Good job to him.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've said I think he could be solid!!! ALOT of people wanted to say ohhhh he's not 330lbs he can't be a NT. If you can stay low as he does, play with good technique like he does then you don't need to be 330 lbs to be successful. LOW man wins at the lime of scrimmage. Size doesn't mean much, but everyone gets soooo caught up in it. And Parry is also a very strong dude too. Chapman better start stepping up in the middle or Id say we give Hughes, Kerr and Parry a shot at nose.

I've said I think he could be solid!!! ALOT of people wanted to say ohhhh he's not 330lbs he can't be a NT. If you can stay low as he does, play with good technique like he does then you don't need to be 330 lbs to be successful. LOW man wins at the lime of scrimmage. Size doesn't mean much, but everyone gets soooo caught up in it. And Parry is also a very strong dude too. Chapman better start stepping up in the middle or Id say we give Hughes, Kerr and Parry a shot at nose.

I thought Parry looked better than Chapman ever has. Parry had 3 or 4 plays in the back field and he didn't even play a whole game. Has Chapman ever made 3 or 4 plays in the back field in an entire game? Not that I recall.

I thought Parry looked better than Chapman ever has. Parry had 3 or 4 plays in the back field and he didn't even play a whole game. Has Chapman ever made 3 or 4 plays in the back field in an entire game? Not that I recall.

Yeah Chapman is meant just plug the middle and draw double and triple teams. He's not a guy for getting penatration and pressure up the middle, which you don't always want. But in certain situations it's definitely an added benefit to be able to get pressure up the middle.

The D line has a chance to be very solid. Teams will have a rough time running on us I think.

I hope!!! If I were coach I'd tell the starters that they better get their game together or they can be replaced by the you guys very easily!!! Make them feel a little uncomfortable and maybe light a fire under them.

Yeah Chapman is meant just plug the middle and draw double and triple teams. He's not a guy for getting penatration and pressure up the middle, which you don't always want. But in certain situations it's definitely an added benefit to be able to get pressure up the middle.

IMO I believe that Chapman was constantly beat today usually by only one blocker at that. I was not impressed with him today or Hughes. I figured this was going to be the year that they both stepped up, but as of right now I am very wrong.

IMO I believe that Chapman was constantly beat today usually by only one blocker at that. I was not impressed with him today or Hughes. I figured this was going to be the year that they both stepped up, but as of right now I am very wrong.

Yeah its getting pretty concerning. Like I said in my post above. I'd make a threat to those starting 3 up front if I was coach. You better get it together and do your job or you'll be replaced. Too easy!!! Start getting players to be accountable and realize you are never safe in your spot. Make guys uncomfortable about whether they are gonna keep their starting spot or not. And hopefully light a fire. Cause it can be taken at any time.

True. But point still stands about Parry.

Which I also acknowledged by saying he was solid.

I need to see this against more than 2nd and 3rd stringer to be impressed. Comparing his to Chapman based on this is absurd in my book.

Chapman was going against the Eagles starting D, Parry was playing against guys who the Eagles are not even sure will make their final roster.

Still doesn't matter when Chapman was still losing to mostly single blocks. He was not absorbing the double and triple teams that he is supposed to eat up to keep our linebackers clean. Almost anyone of our D-Lineman can absorb one blocker as a NT your need to absorb multiple and he wasn't cutting it IMO. I say why not give Parry some time with the 1's who knows maybe he might actually pull a double team?

Still doesn't matter when Chapman was still losing to mostly single blocks. He was not absorbing the double and triple teams that he is supposed to eat up to keep our linebackers clean. Almost anyone of our D-Lineman can absorb one blocker as a NT your need to absorb multiple and he wasn't cutting it IMO. I say why not give Parry some time with the 1's who knows maybe he might actually pull a double team?

Actually it does matter. The level of competition always matters. Given the context it makes the rest of your post irrelevant.

Actually it does matter. The level of competition always matters. Given the context it makes the rest of your post irrelevant.

Never said the level of competition didn't matter. I stated the fact that Chapman doesn't command double and triple teams like he is supposed to should leave his job in question, and therefore allows sub players to have oppurtunies to possibly correct the problem. Not saying that Parry should just be given the starting job because of his performance today, but why not give him the oppurtunity to run plays with the 1's it is just preseason.

Why is it so hard to give an opinion on here amongst fans of the same team? Anyway, the thread title is David Parry. Ok, he showed us he could play against similar NFL talent, and may be able to handle a bigger role on the team. That's good. But before he gets a chance at better talent, (which he will), let's just work on being consistent in the role he's in now. 

I thought from the get go that people were underestimating him. But the guy can play. And it's worth mentioning because like I said in another topic, Hughes was invisible out there and we all know Chapman has underwhelmed. I remember in the playoffs against the Bengals, he was losing a one on one battle with Russell Bodine. He doesn't do anything a NT is supposed to do. He doesn't eat up blockers, and he doesn't create pressure up the middle. He doesn't need to do both but he doesn't seem to do either one.

With Hughes not showing anything today,I think Parry had more value than we think. I think late in the season he may get a chance to start.

Parry, Kerr, Quarles and Okrine all stood out to me today.

On the D yes.  they each had shinning moments -except that late hit on Tebow by Kerr-.

Offensively, I think Goode looked awesome.  I have been waiting a long time to see if he was a diamond in the rough due to being unknown.  yes, he had a false start, but that is just a rookie lineman mistake.  but his blocking was great.  My eyes never left him on each snap and he never gave ground and most of the time gained ground in run blocking.  and pass blocking was great also from the tackle position.  I thought he moved VERY well for such a big man. covered the edge speed rush, then the very next play he covered the guy faking the speed rush then spinning inside.

I thought from the get go that people were underestimating him. But the guy can play. And it's worth mentioning because like I said in another topic, Hughes was invisible out there and we all know Chapman has underwhelmed. I remember in the playoffs against the Bengals, he was losing a one on one battle with Russell Bodine. He doesn't do anything a NT is supposed to do. He doesn't eat up blockers, and he doesn't create pressure up the middle. He doesn't need to do both but he doesn't seem to do either one.

With Hughes not showing anything today,I think Parry had more value than we think. I think late in the season he may get a chance to start.

No more Roll Tide fascination for Grigson, he has moved on to Cardinal fascination :).

On the D yes.  they each had shinning moments -except that late hit on Tebow by Kerr-.

Offensively, I think Goode looked awesome.  I have been waiting a long time to see if he was a diamond in the rough due to being unknown.  yes, he had a false start, but that is just a rookie lineman mistake.  but his blocking was great.  My eyes never left him on each snap and he never gave ground and most of the time gained ground in run blocking.  and pass blocking was great also from the tackle position.  I thought he moved VERY well for such a big man. covered the edge speed rush, then the very next play he covered the guy faking the speed rush then spinning inside.

I also believe that Good had a very good game today. Glad to see Grigson getting some good talent later in the draft. I know it is the first preseason game, but there is a very good reason to be excited about most of the rookies Grigson drafted this year. The only rookie I reserve judgement for is Smith as he was hurt early, but I thought the other rookies played rather well.

I thought that Parry looked very good.  Anderson not so much if he was even out there? (maybe he wasn't, I had a family gathering while the game was on so I couldn't focus as much as I had wanted).  But I kept seeing Parry stand his ground.  Sure, not against first teamers, but most of our team looked so inept, he still stuck out.  Him, along with Dorsett (minus the fumble) and The Bowling Ball were about the only glimmer of light I saw all game.  Tackling was the worst and people were rarely in position.  But Parry did what he could against who was in front of him! 

I'm worried about the combination of Langford, Jones and Chapman.. I really wish we kept Redding or signed another DT. I also really wish Grigson improved the offensive line.

Seriously man. That's what I've been saying the entire offseason. If we had just signed another good D-Lineman and another O-Lineman we'd be set right now. I was hoping for Knighton myself. But I do think Jones and Langford will end up being ok. Hopefully somebody steps up for us at the nose.

David Parry PFF grade:

33 snaps - +4.3 ovr, +3.0 run, +1.3 pass rush

Our best rated defender.

Thanks for posting that. I knew he played well. Now it could be possible that maybe the eagles line sucked that bad, but either way Parry had no trouble against them. He kind of reminded me of how Zach Kerr looked like last preseason.

Seriously man. That's what I've been saying the entire offseason. If we had just signed another good D-Lineman and another O-Lineman we'd be set right now. I was hoping for Knighton myself. But I do think Jones and Langford will end up being ok. Hopefully somebody steps up for us at the nose.

I'd say with the plethora of QBs we will face (Peyton, Brady, Brees, Ryan etc.), I'm all for using more 4 man fronts than 3 man fronts. Parry will work for both fronts, IMO.

Or, just use Geathers as that 3rd safety and keep him in the box all the time as the 3rd safety in a 3-3-5 look with 3 safeties - it should give us the flexibility we need.

Parry went against the #2 Oline for a drive maybe two but he looked bad against the #2, once the 3rd and 4th units started coming in then he looked pretty good. But he has a ways to go.

Unfortunately, I believe I saw Arthur Jones getting worked over by the Eagles 2nd string line as well.

Unfortunately, I believe I saw Arthur Jones getting worked over by the Eagles 2nd string line as well.

Yep, He got manhandled a few times, Part of it I think is he don't fire off the ball quick nor does he jolt the O Lineman with strong hands. Nor does he disengage very consistently

Parry went against the #2 Oline for a drive maybe two but he looked bad against the #2, once the 3rd and 4th units started coming in then he looked pretty good.  But he has a ways to go.

Disagree. Parry played pretty good against Barkley unit. Between 8.24 - 7.36 in the 2nd quarter, when he was in a game, he made 3 good plays against run. Then he was rested and took the field at 3.00. And again, played pretty good, jut look at run stop at 2.20.

Maybe he didn't try very hard because he doesn't care about preseason. At least that's my hope.

Then he should have his butt benched until he starts caring. He didn't play well enough last season to afford himself the luxury of taking it easy in preseason.

Regardless, I highly doubt that's the case.