Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Steve Spagnuolos As Our New Dc?/spagnoulos Was Just Fired According To Espn Radio *merged*

chad72

http://www2.tbo.com/...oach-ar-340964/

Looks like Rams are going to fire Spagnuolos and are interested in hiring Gruden and A.J.Smith

I would love for us to go and get Steve Spagnuolos as our new DC. He would be a great fit for getting more out of our 4-3 D.

Spags as the DC and Ross as the new GM... maybe Fisher or Billick in that scenario as HC..

He hasn't been fired, and why would he come here. I've narrowed it down to 3 great candidates that would take it it.

1. Glenn Pires -- LB Coach of the Falcons who play a 4-3 defense like us

2. Bob Babich -- LB Coach of the Bears who play a 4-3 defense. Has D coordinator experience and even head coaching experience in Divison II in college

3. Jerry Gray -- Turned the Titans D into a pretty good D (dont let our last Titans game make you think different)

Those are realistic ones that would come as DCs.

He hasn't been fired, and why would he come here. I've narrowed it down to 3 great candidates that would take it it.

2. Bob Babich -- LB Coach of the Bears who play a 4-3 defense. Has D coordinator experience and even head coaching experience in Divison II in college

3. Jerry Gray -- Turned the Titans D into a pretty good D (dont let our last Titans game make you think different)

If Ross came here as the GM he would come here... and if he gets fired and wants a job next year, chances are its going to be as a DC and not a HC.. of all three of those names I would only want Bob Babich...

yea, let's hire a reject

That is a pretty ridiculous statement... The fact that he was fired doesn't make him a reject. I think his defense beat the Patriots in the 2007 Super Bowl, perhaps he was dealt a bad hand with the talent in St. Louis, or is not cut out as a HC. But he has proven success as an NFL DC..

Who will be new D-Coach, who will be new head coach, makes for interesting posting-But who here will be suprised to see nothing occur on Tweet Man Jim/Puppetmaster Polina's part, and everything stays status quo-Majority wants new staff.

I won't be surprised. And I think anyone who thinks Isray is dumping the Polians is delusional. Or they're BBS from stampedeblue, who is the king of delusion.

Who will be new D-Coach, who will be new head coach, makes for interesting posting-But who here will be suprised to see nothing occur on Tweet Man Jim/Puppetmaster Polina's part, and everything stays status quo-Majority wants new staff.

I don't expect a new head coach, or coordinators for that matter. I don't expect a new GM, I don't expect many players on the Colts to be anywhere but the Colts next year. I don't expect a #1 pick trade down.. but these are all things I want, and majority would probably want some if not most of these things. Its the Colts it will be same old same old next year, but with Luck as the back-up QB.

I won't be surprised. And I think anyone who thinks Isray is dumping the Polians is delusional. Or they're BBS from stampedeblue, who is the king of delusion.

I could see the Polians dumping Caldwell if they feel they need to go in a different direction. Personally, I don't think the Polians will go anywhere but we could still see them getting a new head coach or Irsay wanting a new coach and co-ordinators to go with the new coach.

Luck will be back-up only with a lose Sunday-I do agree Bmore Colt, that nothing will occur due to the "continuity" factor that TweetMan Jim likes, and B. Ploian will not give up any control to a coach who will actaully want to have some input and be allowed to show emotional display and some form of ability to speak- I see more excitement at a wake then watching Caldwell and Company.

I would be more excited about the Murphy to DC job if we had played more dynamic team in that stretch. We played a powerless Texans and an inept QB in Tennessee and won at home against teams we know well. Remember, the defense looked pretty good in the games 2-4 as well I believe under Coyer. The only thing I was excited to see change was the secondary coverage and the ability to change the 10-15 yard cushions they had been giving up. Spags would be a nice signing but he did have some of the best Talent while he was in NY so can he do that with a team having lessor talent on D as the Colts do. All we have that is really special is Freeney and then you have Bethea and Angerer as the next two standouts. Mathis may be leaving, Powers has been up and down and Nevis played pretty solid but he was an unknown and left early in the season to injury. What will AJ become, the player in most of the season or the past 2 games? Was AJ playing better because of Murphy or did he apply himself because he wants to send highlight tapes to other suitors for next season?

So my question here would be, was Spags special becuase the talent of his Giants team was mostly on the defensive side of the ball or was he just able to teach the defense better than other DC's?

Wade Phillips was a reject...

I would love to have Spags as our defensive coordinator.

Gregg Williams was a reject. Sean Payton took a pay cut to get him to New Orleans. They proceeded to put together a defensive gameplan that caught the great Peyton Manning off guard, leading to the game-winning interception return for a touchdown.

Some guys aren't cut out to be the head coach, but make great coordinators. Norv Turner. You mentioned Wade Phillips. Gregg Williams. Dom Capers in Green Bay. I could go on and on. No reason Spagnuolo wouldn't continue to be a good coordinator in the NFL.

I wish every org blew up their team after 1 bad season when they lose the best player in the league, 6 or 7 other starters and 6 or 7 other talented players to IR. I wish the NFL had a yearly contest for "Be an NFL Owner for a Year".

Have you been watching the Colts long? Because the D hasn't ever looked dominant. They were good when Manning, Edge, and Marvin were putting up tons of points, but their problems have been evident for a long time. People on this forum have been screaming for a good DC and a new scheme for several seasons. It is not an overreaction to one bad season. The D needs to get better period and a good DC would go a long way toward that goal.

Doesn't Polian have another son, or daughter, whom he will promote to DC?

Been watching since 84' and never said the D looked dominant. People on this , and many other threads, aren't just talking new DC. All year, nearly every thread is fire HC, get rid of the Polians, the coordinators, need fat DT's blah blah blah. Fact is when this team is healthy they are an elite offense and a middle of the pack D that gives up yards but not too many points.

Been watching since 84' and never said the D looked dominant. People on this , and many other threads, aren't just talking new DC. All year, nearly every thread is fire HC, get rid of the Polians, the coordinators, need fat DT's blah blah blah. Fact is when this team is healthy they are an elite offense and a middle of the pack D that gives up yards but not too many points.

But this thread is about getting a new DC. We need a new one and a new philosophy. We have looked to Manning to pull out the wins for us for far too long. It is time to start revamping the D.

Many if not most championship teams have a dominant D. So why do Colts fans tend to be okay with just having a middle of the pack D? A great D can keep a game close enough that a win is always within reach. Why handicap half of the team?

That is a pretty ridiculous statement... The fact that he was fired doesn't make him a reject. I think his defense beat the Patriots in the 2007 Super Bowl, perhaps he was dealt a bad hand with the talent in St. Louis, or is not cut out as a HC. But he has proven success as an NFL DC..

It depends on what type of defense, but he is NOT a good fit here - unless by way of draft and FA we change. Aint gonna happen I dont care WHAT Polian says. See it to believe it is where I'm at now.

It depends on what type of defense, but he is NOT a good fit here - unless by way of draft and FA we change. Aint gonna happen I dont care WHAT Polian says. See it to believe it is where I'm at now.

Hold on, I am sure most agree it probably won't happen, but as far as a fit, Spags fits. Spags ran the Giants defense, with a similar personnel to what Indy has! One good corner then, just like the Colts now (Powers).. Average linebackers, strong defensive ends, and a good undertackle, Colts have Nevis, Giants used Tuck/ Canty. Very similar structure of players... it would make more sense to have a DC who runs the 4-3... a Zimmer or Spags type, even Del Rio.

The achilles heel of this team has always been our middle to lower-of-the-pack defense. We have never been able to stop the run consistently and continue a philosophy that lets defenses move the chains in 8-10 yard chunks per down. Teams have been able to limit our great pass rushers over the years by double teaming Freeney & Mathis due to a lack of inside passrush. When you get to the playoffs you won't be facing Matt Cassel, you will be facing Drew Brees, Tom Brady, and Erin Rogers...QB's that if given time will cut you to pieces.

We need a front seven that can blitz from multiple positions and that can stop the run, forcing a shootout against Peyton. When we went to the Superbowl in 06' and 09' this was exactly the kind of defense that helped to get us there. In 06' we had an amazing defensive line with Booger providing the inside passrush and in 09' Coyer was much more aggressive in how we pressured the quarterback.

The achilles heel of this team has always been our middle to lower-of-the-pack defense. We have never been able to stop the run consistently and continue a philosophy that lets defenses move the chains in 8-10 yard chunks per down. Teams have been able to limit our great pass rushers over the years by double teaming Freeney & Mathis due to a lack of inside passrush. When you get to the playoffs you won't be facing Matt Cassel, you will be facing Drew Brees, Tom Brady, and Erin Rogers...QB's that if given time will cut you to pieces.

We need a front seven that can blitz from multiple positions and that can stop the run, forcing a shootout against Peyton. When we went to the Superbowl in 06' and 09' this was exactly the kind of defense that helped to get us there. In 06' we had an amazing defensive line with Booger providing the inside passrush and in 09' Coyer was much more aggressive in how we pressured the quarterback.

Brees hit like 12 passes in a row against that vaunted '09 defense

Spags as the DC and Ross as the new GM... maybe Fisher or Billick in that scenario as HC..

That's far too much. You start with one, see if it gets better, and then move on when another weakness gets exposed. You shuffle them all through, and you're a mess for 5-7 years while those guys figure each other out, draft "their" guys, etc.

That's far too much. You start with one, see if it gets better, and then move on when another weakness gets exposed. You shuffle them all through, and you're a mess for 5-7 years while those guys figure each other out, draft "their" guys, etc.

A new GM, which I think is really necessary.. (the Polians need to go) would bring a new head coach with a new DC.. I understand your point, but all talented head coaches have a say in personnel, so a team that works well together... a DeCastro (GM Ravens) with Billick as head coach, is a great pairing, just like Ross and Spags..

Brees hit like 12 passes in a row against that vaunted '09 defense

'

I never said it was vaunted. It was good enough to get us to an almost undefeated season and was in the top 10 in many categories, including 3rd overall in touchdowns allowed just behind the Jets and the Ravens (rare company). In a shootout against Manning...if you can't score touchdowns against a defense you are in trouble. A lot of people forget that we were leading that Superbowl in 09' at halftime. One bad play and great call by the opposing coach made that game a loss.

Gregg Williams was a reject. Sean Payton took a pay cut to get him to New Orleans. They proceeded to put together a defensive gameplan that caught the great Peyton Manning off guard, leading to the game-winning interception return for a touchdown.

Some guys aren't cut out to be the head coach, but make great coordinators. Norv Turner. You mentioned Wade Phillips. Gregg Williams. Dom Capers in Green Bay. I could go on and on. No reason Spagnuolo wouldn't continue to be a good coordinator in the NFL.

nothing williams did caught manning off guard. he was having his way with the saint's defense when he could actually get on the field. then some cb from iu made a good read.....

But this thread is about getting a new DC. We need a new one and a new philosophy. We have looked to Manning to pull out the wins for us for far too long. It is time to start revamping the D.

Many if not most championship teams have a dominant D. So why do Colts fans tend to be okay with just having a middle of the pack D? A great D can keep a game close enough that a win is always within reach. Why handicap half of the team?

How many teams have a top level offense and a top level defense? It's highly irregular, and the salary cap was designed to make it that way. I'd love to have a great defense and a great offense, but that's not something that you should expect. It might be something that you luck into for a year or two, but it doesn't happen very often.