Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Steve Spagnuolos As Our New Dc?/spagnoulos Was Just Fired According To Espn Radio *merged*

chad72

nothing williams did caught manning off guard. he was having his way with the saint's defense when he could actually get on the field. then some cb from iu made a good read.....

The increasing pressure made Manning uncomfortable, and it resulted in an interception. There was a front-side blitz on the play, and without it, Manning would have gone to Collie instead of trying to go hot to Reggie. The gameplan was designed to hold the pressures until late in the game, when you would need to make a stop on third down. They did just that.

How many teams have a top level offense and a top level defense? It's highly irregular, and the salary cap was designed to make it that way. I'd love to have a great defense and a great offense, but that's not something that you should expect. It might be something that you luck into for a year or two, but it doesn't happen very often.

Granted. But that doesn't mean that we shouldn't upgrade our DC. A great coordinator can mask weaknesses in personnel and maximize their abilities by designing coverages that fit their skill set.

Granted. But that doesn't mean that we shouldn't upgrade our DC. A great coordinator can mask weaknesses in personnel and maximize their abilities by designing coverages that fit their skill set.

He could only mask those weaknesses for so long. Good coaches, OC's, and even top flight QB's will find those weaknesses. Especially if they have played against, or watched a lot if film on said DC.

I really like the idea of adding him to the coaching carousel, but we have far too many issues to address this off-season as it is. I have a strange feeling that Spags will be long gone by the time we even have our QB situation sorted; not to mention Wayne, Mathis, Garcon, Saturday, Diem, and potentially Clark and Brackett.

I'd love it, but we all heard Isray say he prefers to promote from within. I'd be happy if we'd just get a real ST coach.

I really hope in this case Jim is willing to look outside the box for new coach's. Murphy is a good coach! Our D has done better yes. But IMO, we should hire a good DC, that way our LBer's will still have a good coach. Why not have good coach's along side the DC? I also hope we look for a new HC.

I really like the idea of adding him to the coaching carousel, but we have far too many issues to address this off-season as it is. I have a strange feeling that Spags will be long gone by the time we even have our QB situation sorted; not to mention Wayne, Mathis, Garcon, Saturday, Diem, and potentially Clark and Brackett.

I would hope our front office could multi task and be able to deal with the QB situation while being able to look for coaches.

Bringing in Spags would be a great move for this defense. People underestimate what a good coach can do. Just look at the Texans as evidence. yes, they made some personnel moves, but overall its close to what they had last year. Also they switched from a 4-3 to a 3-4 and yet they still went from one of the worst to one of the best defenses in the league.

He may not have been a great HC, but the guy knows how to coach defense. We got to do something with this defense because this play with the lead junk just does not work unless everything is running right. We especially need a better defense if we do intend to draft Luck because having a young QB with a defense that is only good with a lead is not a good recipe.

Absolutely. I'm just saying -- and have been for a while now -- that most NFL teams don't have great offenses and great defenses. Some teams don't have either.

I would hope our front office could multi task and be able to deal with the QB situation while being able to look for coaches.

Bringing in Spags would be a great move for this defense. People underestimate what a good coach can do. Just look at the Texans as evidence. yes, they made some personnel moves, but overall its close to what they had last year. Also they switched from a 4-3 to a 3-4 and yet they still went from one of the worst to one of the best defenses in the league.

He may not have been a great HC, but the guy knows how to coach defense. We got to do something with this defense because this play with the lead junk just does not work unless everything is running right. We especially need a better defense if we do intend to draft Luck because having a young QB with a defense that is only good with a lead is not a good recipe.

Co-signed.

The increasing pressure made Manning uncomfortable, and it resulted in an interception. There was a front-side blitz on the play, and without it, Manning would have gone to Collie instead of trying to go hot to Reggie. The gameplan was designed to hold the pressures until late in the game, when you would need to make a stop on third down. They did just that.

the game plan was to keep manning off the field. if manning had to face that defense every week i would be a happy man.....

the game plan was to keep manning off the field. if manning had to face that defense every week i would be a happy man.....

That was part of the offensive gameplan. Has very little to do with the defensive gameplan.

Go back and watch the game, if you can stomach it. It took me a couple months, but I watched it several times after that. Virtually no blitzes until late in the third quarter, and then increasingly more throughout the game, and the frontside blitz was a major factor in Manning's throw to Reggie on the pick.

I'm not saying the defense had Manning's number or anything like that. I'm just saying they held their best pressures until late in the game. Unlike Rex Ryan, who blitzed early in the AFCCG, and then Manning figured out the defensive looks, and next thing you know, he's burning the Jets for three touchdown passes. Gregg Williams didn't blow his load in the first quarter like Rex did. He was patient and waited for the right time to bring the heat, and it helped them put the game away.

http://www2.tbo.com/...oach-ar-340964/

Looks like Rams are going to fire Spagnuolos and are interested in hiring Gruden and A.J.Smith

I would love for us to go and get Steve Spagnuolos as our new DC. He would be a great fit for getting more out of our 4-3 D.

Grudens not going anywhere. He just signed a cushy contract to host MNF for the next couple years. He had said many times that his new gig is alot better then his coaching days. I dont think he handled the stress very well.

i really think people over rate the game plan of gregg williams..manning was eating that team, their cb made a play (even tough sean payton was telling his cb to look for the slant and go).

I said it before, but the only reason that sb didnt end 55 - 48 or something like that is because each quarter is only 15 minutes long, every drive of both teams were long drives, i cant remember the exact number, but i think we only had like 10 posessions? .

and back to the original post, i think like doogan, that spagnuolo will be long gone

I agree with you here, I have a feeling a lot of teams will be wanting to add Spags to their coaching staff

i really think people over rate the game plan of gregg williams..manning was eating that team, their cb made a play (even tough sean payton was telling his cb to look for the slant and go).

I said it before, but the only reason that sb didnt end 55 - 48 or something like that is because each quarter is only 15 minutes long, every drive of both teams were long drives, i cant remember the exact number, but i think we only had like 10 posessions? .

and back to the original post, i think like doogan, that spagnuolo will be long gone

Manning was slicing them up, until he wasn't anymore. All they needed was one play, and they got it, in large part due to the frontside blitz call.

I never thought to dream it but if spagnulo became our DC, it would be the biggest boost to the franchise. Getting the number one pick might be more important to the long-term stability of the franchise. Spags is the best DC in the game if you ask me. We could get back to a Superbowl with him.

He wouldn't be bad in Indy, but why would he want to come here. Plus his schemes and stuff don't fit our classic FO views.

He would come here because it is a job. All we have to do is be the highest bidder. We have some nice pieces on defense. In addition, Polian has expressed admiration for the Giant's defense and their ability to rush the passer.

I see him going to the Eagles as their defensive coordinator.

That was the rumor a few weeks ago. The truth may have changed since the Eagles went on that run at the end of the season. Reid's job is probably secure, and their D played pretty good.

So, maybe we have a shot at getting him?