Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How well would the Colts do if Hasselbeck had to start 16 games?

horseshoeblue22

Granted, I hope we dont have to find out, but how many games do you think Hasselbeck would win as our starting QB?

I'd say we go 9-7, probably still win the AFC South. He is much, MUCH better than Curtis Painter and Kerry Collins.

Back, beginning of the offseason when we resigned him, a coworker and I had a discussion about who the second best QB in the AFC South was. We determined...its probably Hasselbeck. Maybe Bortles or Mariota develop into better QBs, but they are not better then Matt NOW.

Only other QB I would consider is Brian Hoyer, but we havent seen what hes capable of in Houston yet. What do you think?

I think with Hasselbeck we still beat out the Jaguars and the Titans but lose both games to the Texans. We would not win the division and I could see losses against defenses like NYJ, Bills, and NE and losses to offenses like the Broncos and Steelers. I think we would win around 6 or 7 games.

Based on some recent threads, I think some people are convinced we'd see little drop off without Luck due to alleged great talent around him. I think those folks have been smoking crack. We'd be lucky to finish 8-8 with a just decent qb like Hasselbeck.

I think a major factor would be the offensive line.  He obviously cannot move like Luck and he would have been sacked 100 times in 2013 with his mobility.

Well, he's also experienced enough to get the ball out of his hands quicker and they wouldn't run exactly the same type of offense if Luck were not the QB.

If our D is greatly improved (which, I think it should be given some of our additions), and if we can establish I run game (which, I think we can given some of our additions) there should be much less pressure on the QB. If those units are as improved as I think (or maybe just hope) they'll be, I think we could go between 9-7 and 12-4 (if I had to bet, I'd pick 10-6).

If our D struggles and our run game doesn't improve, anywhere from 6-10 to 9-7.

Hasselbeck, obviously, is less mobile than Luck and I think he doesn't quite have the arm strength Luck has, so Pep would have to either establish a power run game (if our line is healthy and our RBs are, too -- I don't see why we couldn't run on most teams we will play) or figure out creative ways to use Dorsett and TY to make big plays from small passes.  I think what we would lose most with Hasselbeck is the ability to let our three 4.3 WRs have a track meet and connect on the deep ball, which, in turn, might affect our run game.  I don't see how any team will be comfortable playing without a deep safety (or 2) when we have any combination of 3 out of TY, AJ, Moncrief and Dorsett on the field (and who knows how Carter or whoever our 5th WR will pan out) when Luck is on the field (which should really help our run game).  With Hasselbeck on the field, I'm not sure he has the arm to scare teams into playing their safeties deep, but I think he still has the accuracy and the awareness to make shorter throws to our playmakers and I think we've got enough that Pep should be able to find a way to make them make plays after the catch.

I really hope Luck doesn't go down, regardless, but if he did and the majority of the rest of our team stayed healthy, I think Hasselbeck would certainly be able to keep us in the hunt for division champ or wildcard.  I am just hoping Belichick doesn't put a bounty gate on during week 6.

With as stacked as our offense is, I would be shocked with anything less than 9-7.  Hasselbeck is a good QB, you guys must forget he is a veteran with post season experience in which he took those teams there!  I actually think we may even still win 10 games... Definitely still winning the division tho.