Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Trent Cole: Colts don't refer to the Patriots by name (merge)

ViriLudant

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wasn't sure if this belonged here or in the Colts section, but I caught this today and thought it was funny. 

http://nesn.com/2015/04/trent-cole-colts-dont-refer-to-patriots-by-name-a-lot-of-hatred-there/

Trent Cole is getting a crash course in the Indianapolis Colts’ biggest rivalry. And he’s already passed the first test. Two days after the Colts began offseason workouts, the team’s newest pass rusher walked into the locker room and said he understood why teammates try to avoid mentioning the New England Patriots by name. “You could just tell when I first got here you just don’t use that word (Patriots) around here,” Cole said Wednesday, drawing laughter. “From what I’ve seen that’s happened, I see why there’s a lot of hatred there. There’s nothing wrong, nothing wrong with that. That’s why we’re here.”

Wasn't sure if this belonged here or in the Colts section, but I caught this today and thought it was funny. 

http://nesn.com/2015/04/trent-cole-colts-dont-refer-to-patriots-by-name-a-lot-of-hatred-there/

Trent Cole is getting a crash course in the Indianapolis Colts’ biggest rivalry. And he’s already passed the first test. Two days after the Colts began offseason workouts, the team’s newest pass rusher walked into the locker room and said he understood why teammates try to avoid mentioning the New England Patriots by name. “You could just tell when I first got here you just don’t use that word (Patriots) around here,” Cole said Wednesday, drawing laughter. “From what I’ve seen that’s happened, I see why there’s a lot of hatred there. There’s nothing wrong, nothing wrong with that. That’s why we’re here.”

I moved and merged your thread, just FYI.

Colts are givin' the Pats the "Ravens Treatment" here. 

I feel like this is being overstated, personally, and Cole's point is being missed. Obviously, there's no love lost. But the point is that the Colts don't like the Pats and are tired of losing to them, not that the name "Patriots" has been banned from the locker room or anything like that. JMO

I'd rather hear more about executing and less about hating, Hate all they want, That sure did not keep the Patriots from turning games into scrimmages by the end of 3rd quarters or sooner

well then you probably should avoid reading articles with titles such as "Trent Cole: Colts Don’t Refer To Patriots By Name, ‘A Lot Of Hatred There’ "   :P

I feel like this is being overstated, personally, and Cole's point is being missed. Obviously, there's no love lost. But the point is that the Colts don't like the Pats and are tired of losing to them, not that the name "Patriots" has been banned from the locker room or anything like that. JMO

I'm with ya. And even still, like Cole himself said, there's nothing wrong with that! 

people overstating something irrelevant and missing the point....on this message board???? Surely you jest.

shirley.jpg

Wow, wish instead of trying to avoid saying "New England Patriots" they would figure out how to maybe stop their RB's from going for 200 per game on you.

It's not that they get beat that bothers me so much, it's the Pats and they win a lot.  

What bothers me is 2 things. . . in the 2nd half they arn't even competitive and secondly and more importantly they get beat in the exact same way every single time.  

The Patriots have their all world TE take a break from catching passes and their future hall of fame QB do his best Alex Smith impression (by managing the game not in terms of quality of play), while they hand the ball to some mediocre RB or some RB you've never even heard of before and the Colt's ridiculously poor tackling makes said RB look like he is the result of a freak science experiment trying to cross Adrian Peterson and Barry Sanders.  

And in the end it looks like the only chance to win the Colts will ever have is if half their offensive starters fall down laughing and hurt themselves.  Because gosh we havn't even managed to make their best offensive players try hard yet!!!  Usually a team that wins by 40 points see's it's stars put up huge numbers.  But no Brady and Gronk put up very pedestrian numbers because all they have to do is hand it some mediocre RB who will just carry it for 10 yards each play.

That's what happens when the Colts can't seem to get by 1 team and it's always in the playoffs. You tend to get somewhat tense talking about a rival. But in the end, it's just football.

Yeah...its not a rivalry if its one sided. I'm sure the Patriots just look at us like any other AFC team on their schedule. No different than perhaps Pittsburg or Denver or any other non-divisional team. Outside divisional games I believe the only team they have that respect and what we could call a rivalry with would probably be Baltimore. Just because WE despise them doesn't make it a rivalry.

As for this...yeah...whatever..I don't get it but I also doubt it means as much as people try to make it out. Just a healthy respect and anger to try to get over the top of them. Being their whippin boy stinks...so whatever they need to do to get past them mentally that is fine. I don't think this sorta thing works in any way...it comes down to preparation and execution and calling them by their name or not will have no effect in us beating them I'm pretty sure.

I'd rather hear more about executing and less about hating, Hate all they want, That sure did not keep the Patriots from turning games into scrimmages by the end of 3rd quarters or sooner

I am all for executing the Patriots...Did I really say Patriots?

:sarcasm:

I don't hate the Pats. I simply find them very uninteresting. The only thing interesting about them is their history of bush league play, and the way their defenders simply brush it off as being part of the game. The fact that they beat the Colts the way they have during the Luck era speaks more about the shortcomings of the Colts than any thing special about the Pats.

I think the Colts locker room is being a bit silly about nameless team, but if its all a way of just having fun about it, that's cool.

I'm curious, do Patriots fans view the current iteration of the Colts as a rivalry, or do they look at us more along the lines of how we used to look at the Texans? Always trying their darndest to win, but never really putting up much of a threat.

I'm curious, do Patriots fans view the current iteration of the Colts as a rivalry, or do they look at us more along the lines of how we used to look at the Texans? Always trying their darndest to win, but never really putting up much of a threat.

Some do, that is why they hang out on the Colts message boards.

And what do you mean "used to look at the Texans?"

Yeah...its not a rivalry if its one sided. I'm sure the Patriots just look at us like any other AFC team on their schedule. No different than perhaps Pittsburg or Denver or any other non-divisional team. Outside divisional games I believe the only team they have that respect and what we could call a rivalry with would probably be Baltimore. Just because WE despise them doesn't make it a rivalry.

As for this...yeah...whatever..I don't get it but I also doubt it means as much as people try to make it out. Just a healthy respect and anger to try to get over the top of them. Being their whippin boy stinks...so whatever they need to do to get past them mentally that is fine. I don't think this sorta thing works in any way...it comes down to preparation and execution and calling them by their name or not will have no effect in us beating them I'm pretty sure.

I'm sure that they don't see us like Pittsburgh, Denver or Baltimore.  Those teams actually give them a competitive battle more times than not.  Neither of those franchises seem to be in awe of New England.  The Luck-era Colts have only been humiliated by them thus far.  I'm sure the Pats see the Colts as complete jokes at this point.  Heck even the Jets, Bills and Dolphins play the Pats much better than the Colts have. 

I like that the Colts hate New England.  They should.  But it will take more than that to finally get by them. 

The Patriots have no respect for themselves let alone another team.

Take off Brady's Helmet and theres Bill Belicheck on the back of his head.

That is a hilariously disturbing imaging or maybe a disturbingly hilarious image I'm not sure which.

But you know looking at it in that light, it was Dumbledore and Harry that were not afraid to speak his name and they were the ones that Voldemort feared.  Maybe the Colts are going about this the wrong way.

Maybe they should say their name but with disdain in their voice.

I'm sure that they don't see us like Pittsburgh, Denver or Baltimore.  Those teams actually give them a competitive battle more times than not.  Neither of those franchises seem to be in awe of New England.  The Luck-era Colts have only been humiliated by them thus far.  I'm sure the Pats see the Colts as complete jokes at this point.  Heck even the Jets, Bills and Dolphins play the Pats much better than the Colts have. 

I like that the Colts hate New England.  They should.  But it will take more than that to finally get by them.

well NE has owned Pittsburgh and denver too so that is why I said that. I can't remember the last time the steelers beat NE.

Some do, that is why they hang out on the Colts message boards.

And what do you mean "used to look at the Texans?"

Until recently, when the Texans have become more competitive, I never viewed them as much of a rivalry. I got that impression from quite a few Colts fans. The Titans and the Jags were rivalries, but the Texans seemed like an overeager little brother trying really hard to finally beat their big brother.